• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Paragon Spawn

Radbug

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm newly back after several years and I barely remember Paragons. After some research, it looks like Ilshenar monsters sometime spawn as a Paragon.

My question: once spawned, will that Paragon be there the next day? It is making it impossible to get past it and I die instantly. It's a Paragon Exodus Minion (almost 2800 hit points vs. 600 for non-Paragon). It wasn't there before (at the Gargoyle Mining Camps). I can deal with a non-Paragon Exodus Minion, but the Paragon is just too hard to kill!

Will it go away after server reset?

Radbug

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Something weird I noticed. My pets refused to attack Exodus creatures. Maybe because they're mechanical? The only way to get my pet to attack is tell the pet to guard me and then let the mechanical monster attack me first. Weird!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a server reset... if I'm honest I'd say you might get lucky that way. I haven't tried that in many years so I honestly can't say for certain if it'll work or not :)

However, I'd actually recommend dealing with the spawn in a different way rather than leaving it till the next day. When in Ilshenar and you're in areas you know will have a dangerous paragon the first thing you do is walk rather than run. Ensure your client is setup to show names of incoming characters and monsters so you see a warning as you get within range of the paragon. Then as soon as you see that paragon bit in the name, pre-cast invisibility spell. I have several invis spell macros - one that automatically targets myself so I can use it during taming and one where I just cast the spell and I have a key for target self to land the spell. The idea is that if the creature does target you, you can drop the invis on yourself and your pet becomes the target. As long as you then stand still and don't run, a paragon that doesn't do area attacks will stay targeted on your pet and you'll just have a tougher creature to vet through.

The other thing you can do if a creature is just too tough for you and your pets is try to move it somewhere else nearby. Ideally it's a monster that can't open doors and you can find a room to enclose it, but sometimes you can work with less ideal results. Again this is when pre-cast invisibility is handy, you can run just close to the spawn so it targets you, then run like heck to where you want it to go. Invis yourself. Now, the monster is likely right beside you while you're invisible and if it casts magic it is probably going to try and reveal you. But if you take advantage of that creature losing sight of you and dropping you as a target, you can then run at full speed past it and get out, drop another invis spell on yourself and with luck the creature is still secure and didn't see you for long enough to start attacking. Obviously you'll need to be mounted or flying if you're a gargoyle, or you won't be fast enough. But it's a really useful tactic once you learn it.

With the mechanicals your pets won't attack them with command so yes, you'll need to set your pet to guard you.

If you're fighting a paragon with your pet, and the pet runs off to fight the paragon, rather than walk or teleport beside your pet, try calling the pet back to you with an "all stop" then "all follow me" command. That will bring it to your feet with the monster in tow and you can then tell the pet to guard or kill again and it'll resume the fight. I just find that is much safer if you're dealing with a group of spawn and you want to pull a single paragon out of the group to kill it.

Wenchy

Radbug

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Wow, great advice. I'm a very old, old UO player, but only since I came back recently have I started taming. When I came back, I had some nice pets on one of my accounts but I had forgotten a lot of my taming practices (but my house-building skills were still finely tuned) and so I'm learning about taming and keeping my pets alive, and taking them to new places like Ilshenar (the last I remember about Ilshenar, I went there with my (now-gone) guild, the Arcarius guild, a team of female archers).

I went back last night and the paragons were gone. There was a paragon serpent but they were easy to kill. I got my arcane crystals. (Does everyone know about them? You can make arcane clothing that holds charges. This is nice if you are killed but are rezzed by a healer. You have lost your regs but you can cast with the arcane clothing.)

Anyway, nice tips about invis. I've been starting to use that a little, but I need to have a macro to do that. Clicking and targeting myself is difficult while running and fighting. :)

Also, I didn't realize about the "all stop" followed by "all follow me". My old Ice Dragon seems to like to attack everything in sight. Often I'll be walking through the forest and then it's "Where did he go?" and I circle around seeing what monster he's chewing on.

I've built a house in Tokuno and I'm learning about the animals and ninjas and ronins there. Lots of loot!

Thank you for such a detailed answer, Wenchy!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Invisibility pre-cast like Wenchkin said is a life saver. Just "lead" the monster to somewhere you aren't going to go and then do Invisibility. If needed recast, then leave monster. Problem solved.

Radbug

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Invisibility pre-cast like Wenchkin said is a life saver. Just "lead" the monster to somewhere you aren't going to go and then do Invisibility. If needed recast, then leave monster. Problem solved.
At the risk of sounding like a noob, what is pre-casting? I know it's hard to believe, but most of my UO experience (over many years) was not taming or magery. I was a housing expert (bought and sold houses) and a GM Runner!

I heard the term "pre-casting" but I thought it had something to do with PVP and I never did that. Most of my combat was my GM Archer and I just shot and ran! Or just ran. (Very helpful in the early days with all the PK's).

Also, I only use the Classic Client and have to hand-craft macros. The Classic Client won't let me edit macros in the gump, but I have some UO Macro editing tool I got from somewhere. I do have UO Assist, though. So how do I pre-cast?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's when you have a spell cast but you haven't targeted it onto yourself or anything else. So where normally you cast and target immediately, you hold off on clicking on a target and you can then move into position before you finally drop the invisibility on yourself. It basically just saves your spell being interrupted or you dying while you're standing in front of the monster casting. You do the casting somewhere safer, then run into danger and then target yourself.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll have more coffee and try again :D

Wenchy

Radbug

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It's when you have a spell cast but you haven't targeted it onto yourself or anything else. So where normally you cast and target immediately, you hold off on clicking on a target and you can then move into position before you finally drop the invisibility on yourself. It basically just saves your spell being interrupted or you dying while you're standing in front of the monster casting. You do the casting somewhere safer, then run into danger and then target yourself.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll have more coffee and try again :D

Wenchy
Makes perfect sense. I had heard something about pre-casting, but I think that was some older technique of casting and grabbing a weapon to stop the spell and then letting go of the weapon when you want to cast. THANKS!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Radbug. Pre-casting normally is a PvP "type" term but it definitely does apply to spells where you can pre-plan your actions for the greater good!

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get pets to guard you in exodus attack something and pets jump in