• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pack of Frenzy vs GD - Which is better?!

ParezE

Visitor
I'm returning to the game for the first time in many years and don't have much experience with Greater Dragons (GD) and all the new masteries. I have been trying to read up on the new benefits for Frenzies and GD however I haven't been able to conclude which is better.
  • Frenzies have the pack instinct bonus if you have more than one
  • GDs can tank damage, with some of the masteries for quite a while

In your experience, would you prefer to have 5 frenzies or a good GD? Do the masteries play a part in your decision to go with GD or Frenzies?

:DAlso, I understand it matters WHAT you’re hunting so if you could give good examples of what either a pack of Frenzy or GD would be good/bad at hunting would be awesome!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I mainly do Ilsh Spawns, Peerless and larger critters like that and Frenzieds may be able to rip them apart quicker than a GD, but they could not hold up to the onslaught they receive. HP's are way too low even with the mastery bonuses imho. Also, not sure you can put a mastery on more than one pet or not.. *makes mental note to try that*.. Here lately though I have been playing around with the Dragon Turtle Hatchlings and am reserving my judgement on that for now. But, the way it is looking once it is fully trained it may be even better than the GD.... time will tell though.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mainly do Ilsh Spawns, Peerless and larger critters like that and Frenzieds may be able to rip them apart quicker than a GD, but they could not hold up to the onslaught they receive. HP's are way too low even with the mastery bonuses imho. Also, not sure you can put a mastery on more than one pet or not.. *makes mental note to try that*.. Here lately though I have been playing around with the Dragon Turtle Hatchlings and am reserving my judgement on that for now. But, the way it is looking once it is fully trained it may be even better than the GD.... time will tell though.
Unfortunately, you cannot use Taming Mastery on more than one pet.

I'm returning to the game for the first time in many years and don't have much experience with Greater Dragons (GD) and all the new masteries. I have been trying to read up on the new benefits for Frenzies and GD however I haven't been able to conclude which is better.
  • Frenzies have the pack instinct bonus if you have more than one
  • GDs can tank damage, with some of the masteries for quite a while

In your experience, would you prefer to have 5 frenzies or a good GD? Do the masteries play a part in your decision to go with GD or Frenzies?

:DAlso, I understand it matters WHAT you’re hunting so if you could give good examples of what either a pack of Frenzy or GD would be good/bad at hunting would be awesome!
5 Frenzieds should EASILY outdamage a GD. Best aspect of a Greater is its tankiness, IMO; this is just one example, but when I bring my White Wyrm to Virtuebane ('Bane's weakest resist is Cold), it does as much damage as a Greater. If you partner with another tamer that has a Greater to tank, the Ostard quintet will just rip it to shreds. Just make sure it doesn't have an AoE spell like Wither.

If that is not an option, I would stick to low/mid level old-school mobs like Blood Elemental, Shame level 1, etc, which you're already well aware of. In fact, I'm curious to know how effective they would be in pvp now - back in the day, I would die pretty much INSTANTLY if someone set them on me; granted, I ran no phys resist at the time, so every weapon hit (that wasn't the capped Armor Ignore) did a ****load of damage to me.

ParezE

Visitor
Thank you both for an excellent answer!

How about pack of hell hounds? Do they encounter the same pitfalls of not having enough HP as Frenzys to face most new-age mobs?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you both for an excellent answer!

How about pack of hell hounds? Do they encounter the same pitfalls of not having enough HP as Frenzys to face most new-age mobs?
I've seen them (rarely) for some Ilshenar champ spawns (Oaks) and they have the same problem, yes. They're worth it for things weak to fire damage, for sure. Unfortunately, the guy using them had to res them frequently - you'd be better off sticking with a Rune Beetle/Nightmare combo, with a Greater tanking.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
all critters with pack instincts are low HP critters.
ozzies, hell hounds, tigers, ect.

only time you can use them effectively on a big boss would be if you had another buddy there with a GD tanking, and even then if the mob has a area effect your pack is done.
but..... if you find the rare boss that dosnt have a area effect and that does not change targets a pack of ozzies is a chainsaw!
a pack of fully trained ozzies will do 20x the damage that a GD will do in the same time, if you can keep them alive.