• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pack me in the bank and open me up.

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

RavenWinterHawk

I was wondering.
If UO were to be redone with all the current aspects of game play but in 100% 3D with a 2D option....

Could EA say bank up you homes and all your belongings. Unlimited bank space. And we will transfer you and your contents to a new game.

UO Rebornreborn. An actual 3D game.

How hard would it be to transfer over your characture and stuff to a new game server?

Maybe even your house plot?

Just wondering.

R

Righteous

I think I can have all nine of my houses packed up and ready to be transfered to another server in a day or so. I never could understand the need to spend months decrating my houses. All but one of my houses are classic houses and the only reason the other isnt a classic house design is because I dont want to loose the spot by accident.

Righteous

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not interested in 3D at all. Graphics are not the reason I play UO. I play UO because of the community and the depth of game play options. I couldn't care less about graphics.

I

InTooDeep

I'm not interested in 3D at all. Graphics are not the reason I play UO. I play UO because of the community and the depth of game play options. I couldn't care less about graphics.
/agreed

There is no reason to upgrade graphics IMO, sure, a few more people might join if they gave the game a complete overhaul, but most likely not enough to offset the cost of the project in a timely manner. People that play UO don't play it for the graphics, they play it because they enjoy it.

I have played many of the newer MMORPGs out there that have better graphics that UO. Know what? Every other game that I've tried- and there have been many- I have quit. Even with their neat graphics they have all failed to hold my attention for more than a month or two.

I sometimes wish that Ultima Online wasn't the first online game I ever played; it ruined me for all other online games. Nothing else out there can really come close to it, even in its current state.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don;'t think the majority of the playerbase would really mind moving to a 3d game.
Provided that game was really UO, and not some clone. Providing that game worked and had interfaces, etc. that were UO. Provided that game and client weren't bugged all to hell, with missing terrain and placeholder art.

I mean, we play UO to play UO, not go "oooh" and "ahhh" at the artwork on a demon. 3d would be fine, if it were UO.

F

Flora Green

I wouldn't trust that because it's EA/Mythic. 100% 3D to them might be original Pac Man.

F

Flora Green

So you DON'T "oooh" and "ahhh" at the artwork on a demon currently? ;)

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll take it one step further. I'd give up everything except my characters to move to a fully emmersive 3D UO. I have alot of stuff (a full castle and 2 18x18's), but stuff is just stuff.

I know many folks have one-of-a-kind items they never want to give up, but at some point, EA/Mythic will either need to cut over to modern technology or just wash their hands of this game.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fully immersive 3D wouldn't make your UO experience better? The UO community and depth of the game would only improve if the graphics could bring more players in. Very little of the game's mechanics depend on the graphics. The graphics just improves the end-user's experience.

P

pavel.vesely

Where is point of this question? Servers do not need to be changed at all to get game to full 3D. Download new client, install it, run it, that should be enough.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you DON'T "oooh" and "ahhh" at the artwork on a demon currently? ;)
LOL
good one!

I'd give up everything except my characters to move to a fully emmersive 3D UO
You shouldnt have to give up anything. If they can't do the art and graphics on existing items to move over, then I aint trustin em enough to play their new game anyway. It's already doomed.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fully immersive 3D wouldn't make your UO experience better? The UO community and depth of the game would only improve if the graphics could bring more players in. Very little of the game's mechanics depend on the graphics. The graphics just improves the end-user's experience.
For me no. Graphics (2d or 3d) have no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. But I'm not against a 3d client if they did it correctly. However, unless they were to create a 3d version of the 2d client, they would mess up the game play mechanics (at least for me).

If they could put out a 3d client that has the majority of the bugs worked out at release, plays smooth, looks good, doesn't mess up every UI along the way, and doesn't force me to re-learn a game I've been playing since 2000, then yes, I would switch.

C

Corrupted Goblin

if people want 3d games they are out there. UO is distinctively ours and no-one elses (obviously the reason we dont get new people but screw new people)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats not going to happen. I dont even know how feasible it is to have a full 3d client and a 2d client access the same game world.
Not only that, its not just something you can slap on the game. There would have to be a giant overhaul, and they would be a billion times smarter just to make a new game. Which I think they should do anyway. All thus duel client nonsense is going too far.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats not going to happen. I dont even know how feasible it is to have a full 3d client and a 2d client access the same game world.
Not only that, its not just something you can slap on the game. There would have to be a giant overhaul, and they would be a billion times smarter just to make a new game. Which I think they should do anyway. All thus duel client nonsense is going too far.

R

Rubican

Heck yea!

If I could have our current depth of play AND modern up to date appealing graphics I'd be all over it. However I wouldn't trade our interface and style for new graphics.

T

Teeshy

Fully immersive 3D wouldn't make your UO experience better?
For me, personally, no, it wouldn't. IF UO was to go to "fully immersive 3D" I would have to stop playing, and that would suck. =P

Aside from the fact that my internet connection can't handle most any other game, the biggest drawcard for me with UO is that it ISN'T 3D graphics - less seasickness that way ;)

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't believe some of you are trying to convince us you get nausea from 3D graphics. If you are going to support this notion in any degree of seriousness -therefore implying you can't watch movies produced later than 1980/85 as well- then here's my reply;

Stores still sell SNES and Mega Drive, thankfully, and I suggest that you invest on those and a 4-Play adapter for Super Bomberman. Or Ultima 4, 5, 6 and 7!

Cheaper than upgrading, which I suppose you wouldn't do even if they told you it'd still be 2D, lots of REAL 2D and pixels. All game-play, all the way. Nothing BUT game-play and Midi music, so it would suit you.
Or if you are addicted to the Net go Browser-based MMOs. They're real fun and not at all about graphics. Oh, oh, wait until you see Pen And Paper RPG too! But yeah you don't even play those even though you preach you're soooooooooo ALL about game-play.. :hahaha:

Perhaps "game-play" to you equals "SIMS" so may I enlighten you?- There's SIMS ONLINE!? Plus all those shiny Sims booster packs? Fun for you. More room for us!

Please allow the rest of us to move on ONE SINGLE DAY INTO THE FUTURE and leave 1970 behind in terms of graphics? Say, let us move towards 2000 at the very least? Please? :sad3:

I mean Punkbuster is not here to invade your Pr0n directory and your gimp is still powerfull without any Proffessions-like system? Even your scripts work, with KR already published and SA coming up, whining worked fine so far? Pwwwuuheeeez, drop no more smilies because you whine too loud and serious when someone mentions a new client? :love:

The OP even said the old 2D will be there, didn't he?

This post reeks of sarcasm doesn't it? Yet it's sooooooooo damn' right because more than half the people who don't want graphics are what I describe here. :sad4:

T

Teeshy

I can't believe some of you are trying to convince us you get nausea from 3D graphics.
Lucky for you if you don't suffer it. Not believing in it however, is terribly narrow minded of you. If there's a game I REALLY want to play (Oblivion for example) with that whole 3D motion/graphics I have to take travel sickness tablets to be able to play it at all. And yes, there have been certain movies that leave me feeling nauseous for the same reasons.

Try googling "Simulator sickness" or even just "travel sickness" and "games"

As for the Mega Drive, I still have one thankyou very much, and close to 100 games for it =P I also have an Xbox 360, and a Wii - I just have to be careful what I play, and for how long.

Yes, your sarcasm was quite obvious thankyou, but so was your ignorance.

Y

YellowStarS2k

I'm sure this is a 'what if' thread, but this is not even remotely economically feasible.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will point you to this:

"This post reeks of sarcasm doesn't it? Yet it's sooooooooo damn' right because more than half the people who don't want graphics are what I describe here. :sad4:"

And this:

"I can't believe some of you are"

Those mean: If you are not part of that rather large group of Nay-Sayers, when it comes down to having a more demanding -but also better looking- client, then you need not pay attention to my post.

Again let me point out the OP mentioned TWO clients, one being your favourite obviously. Yet you still would personally deny us a hypothetical new client if it was up to you, it seems!

I am glad the sarcasm is visible, and I'm glad that it makes me appear ignorant. It's more rewarding putting things right afterwards.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

"Ultima" and "3d" have not exactly had the best of histories together thus far.

Just sayin'...

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stores still sell SNES and Mega Drive, thankfully, and I suggest that you invest on those and a 4-Play adapter for Super Bomberman. Or Ultima 4, 5, 6 and 7!
Where are you shopping that they still have SNES's on the shelf? Seriously. I want to pick up a few new games. [/sarcasm]

Perhaps "game-play" to you equals "SIMS" so may I enlighten you?- There's SIMS ONLINE!? Plus all those shiny Sims booster packs? Fun for you. More room for us!
In March 2007, EA announced that the product (sims online) would be re-branded as EA-Land and major changes made. A few weeks later, EA announced the game would shut down all activity on 8/1/08. On August 1st, the game shut down and the official blog went offline soon after.

I mean Punkbuster is not here to invade your Pr0n directory and your gimp is still powerfull without any Proffessions-like system? Even your scripts work, with KR already published and SA coming up, whining worked fine so far? Pwwwuuheeeez, drop no more smilies because you whine too loud and serious when someone mentions a new client? :love:
I have no idea what that part even means.

The OP even said the old 2D will be there, didn't he?

This post reeks of sarcasm doesn't it? Yet it's sooooooooo damn' right because more than half the people who don't want graphics are what I describe here. :sad4:
If they want to put out a decent 3D client, I will play it. But don't expect me to play an inferior client just because it will get a bunch of snot nosed kids to join up and start playing. Ground breaking graphics are not what made UO special.

Besides, I'd rather look at sharp, clean 2D graphics over that blurry crap they call Kingdom Reborn any day.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Where are you shopping that they still have SNES's on the shelf? Seriously. I want to pick up a few new games."

O'rly? I thought you came from a place where people play for the game, not for the graphics. And they don't sell SNES's there?

Seriously though. Get an Emulator. It will save you a small amount of money.. Unless you're nostalgic.

"In March 2007, EA announced that the product would be re-branded as EA-Land and major changes made. A few weeks later, EA announced the game would shut down all activity on 8/1/08. On August 1st, the game shut down and the official blog went off-line soon after."

Oh my. Where are you gonna go now..? What other game offers interior decoration as a prime-time playing style? I know, you'll cramp UO's graphical development and call it home because it's already very late in upgrading. rolleyes:

"I have no idea what that part even means."

I guess you missed all the Punkbuster fun among other interesting chapters in UO's developmental path. Like the Professions' discussion.. And the subsequent fuss..

"If they want to put out a decent 3D client, I will play it. But don't expect me to play an inferior client just because it will get a bunch of snot nosed kids to join up and start playing. Ground breaking graphics are not what made UO special."

Back then they may have been ground-breaking. This game needs a face-lift. But.. I will agree on this one. KR is inferior.. To everything else out there BUT the 2D client. I adjusted fine to it.
Then again I adjusted fine to everything I've played without whining, within a day or two.. Graphics and interface wise.. Something that seems completely out of most hardcore Nay-Sayers' brain capabilities.. That's without reading manuals mind you, and I score -80 in many IQ tests. ****** power for the win?!

"Besides, I'd rather look at sharp, clean 2D graphics over that blurry crap they call Kingdom Reborn any day."

KR is a blurry mess. It's better than 2D even if just for supporting higher resolutions and having a nicer particle system. Oh and primitive reflections.
Point : IF YOU HAD ALLOWED IT TO BE, IT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER. You whined and they made it fit perfectly with the words "256 RAM" and "Pentium 1".

rolleyes:

*EDIT*
But what really gets me is since you got your nice 2D and SA will also allow you to use it.. Why are you all still so negative in making KR demand more power but also deliver better results? You won't play it anyway.

I think the Devs came up with a solution that will allow them to do exactly that.. They call it the SA client.
Why not say they will just improve KR? Because mere mention of "KR" makes people bleed from their ears and nose on these forums lately... Talk about bias.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they can deliver a 3D client that performs as well as the 2D client does, and doesn't require me to relearn how to do just about everything, I will gladly play it.

But a 3D client is not essential to UO's future. The same people who are pulled in to other games simply by nice graphics are the same people who try out UO and say that it's too hard, and there's too much to learn.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they can deliver a 3D client that performs as well as the 2D client does, and doesn't require me to relearn how to do just about everything, I will gladly play it.

But a 3D client is not essential to UO's future. The same people who are pulled in to other games simply by nice graphics are the same people who try out UO and say that it's too hard, and there's too much to learn.
I agree 100%. Graphics don't mean squat to me if they aren't backed up by content... WoW and a zillion other games have all the graphics a body can stomach.. but they stink....... They lack any true content.... it's just the same grind... they lack imagination... and unless your into quests and smut they are totally worthless...

UO has community, it allows for an increadible amount of imagination... there are 100's of things you can do in UO there are no set paths that you MUST follow there is no set templates.... you don't even have to be any particular anything because of race... suits me fine.... You can control your environment to a certain extent in the way you chose to set up your home.... what shard you chose to play on and many other factors..... you are not limited to one or two characters .... your not limited to just one shard... You can pick any shard you want to and that is a choice YOU can make... Unlike some games where you really DON'T have a choice....

I never cared for 3d... I don't care to have the "camera" angle rotate all around makes me ill and gets me lost I don't know what way north is.... I happen to prefer living my 2d life.....

And I agree 1,000,000 times over I DON'T HAVE ANY DESIRE TO LEARN TO PLAY ALL OVER AGAIN. I don't play KR for the simple fact that I don't want to spend 6 weeks relearning everything just to play.... I don't want to spend days on end redoing 40+ characters macro's...... I'd much rather pluck out my eyes with a fork.... The only way I'd "move" to a full 3d immersive world like your talking would be if the actual "game" play DIDN'T change in the least... Only if all my settings, macro's and housing stayed EXACTLY how it is right now.... I have no desire to learn a new game..... If I wanted to do that I'd be playing some crud like LoTRO.... or some smeg like that... but I like my 2d world just fine....

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"If they can deliver a 3D client that performs as well as the 2D client does, and doesn't require me to relearn how to do just about everything, I will gladly play it."

Well you won't have to re-learn anything because 2D will be there too if you whine loud enough. With all its cheats and all its fun! Now, I'm not saying YOU are cheating.
At this point the question is; Since you all good ladies and gents won't play the new 3D do you MIND if they bring it up to par with recent games in terms of graphics quality?
Do you mind if we keep some of the KR interface since it works like a charm?

Normally you shouldn't mind. Because you'd still have 2D and hey, graphics don't matter to you.

It appears that you want it ALL. Graphics, AND 2D's interface fully ported. And you want the graphics PRECISELY the way you've imagined them as well.

"I never cared for 3D... I don't care to have the "camera" angle rotate all around makes me ill and gets me lost I don't know what way North is.... I happen to prefer living my 2D life....."

God help you if you ever get lost and need to use a compass in real life...! Oh and there's always the option to NOT change the camera angle. Or set it where it is in 2D.

"I DON'T HAVE ANY DESIRE TO LEARN TO PLAY ALL OVER AGAIN. I don't play KR for the simple fact that I don't want to spend 6 weeks relearning everything just to play.... I don't want to spend days on end redoing 40+ characters macro's...... "

The caps say it all. 6 weeks to adapt to a SOMEWHAT ALTERED interface? Dear God.. Good thing there's things like "Routine" for people like you.
KR Macros >OWN> 2D Macros. Especially in ease of use and creation.

"WoW and a zillion other games have all the graphics a body can stomach.. But they stink....... They lack any true content.... It's just the same grind... They lack imagination... And unless your into quests and smut they are totally worthless..."

What do graphics have to do with questing and content? We're talking graphics. We're talking bringing new graphics to Ultima, your FAVOURITE GAME or something. What's WoW gotta do with that?
Because WoW's content displeases you, it means it MUST BE the graphics being good? And to be honest, do you really, really think WoW has high-end graphics? LOL.. It's practically lighter than UO to run.
You are confused.

"If they can deliver a 3D client that performs as well as the 2D client does, and doesn't require me to relearn how to do just about everything, I will gladly play it."

By all means, DON'T play it. But DON'T hinder KR/SA clients' evolution either. Don't dish it!
Most of all you have to get unstuck from the "I won't play unless it's 2D on 3D with the interface ported" mode, because then you'll just have.. 2D! Or at the best, KR with the Legacy Art toggled on and a custom interface.

"But a 3D client is not essential to UO's future. The same people who are pulled in to other games simply by nice graphics are the same people who try out UO and say that it's too hard, and there's too much to learn."

And that's a very large percentage of people. Meaning, UO's future customers driven off.

The OP wasn't even about that, it was about the ABILITY TO TRANSFER CURRENT ITEMS AND CHARACTERS TO A COMPLETELY NEW CLIENT.
This is nearing fanaticism so I'm giving up. Not even in the mood to be sarcastic or ask YET AGAIN whether you understand you don't need to be enticed into playing a new client at all, or not.
Unbelievable. :bowdown:

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Orvago still wishes for EA/Mythic to revisit and implement Ultima X: Odyssey*

*Orvago corrects his previous emote, he begs for them to implement it*

If memory serves, they were thinking/discussing the possibility of allowing players to import their characters to the new UX:O...

I love truly 3D Graphic MMORPGs. I love Britannia. I would love to experience them both, one and the same, with or without my old characters.

The cancellation of UX:O broke my 3D and Britannia loving heart. It still aches.

These are just my personal opinions and wishes.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wondering.
If UO were to be redone with all the current aspects of game play but in 100% 3D with a 2D option....

Could EA say bank up you homes and all your belongings. Unlimited bank space. And we will transfer you and your contents to a new game.

UO Rebornreborn. An actual 3D game.

How hard would it be to transfer over your characture and stuff to a new game server?

Maybe even your house plot?

Just wondering.
It depends on what you mean by 3D. If it was turned into a first-person perspective game, I'd definately would not accept the change. This would make a whole different game out of UO. If it was isometric view like Diablo 3... That's what I always dreamt of.

E

Eslake

For me, personally, no, it wouldn't. IF UO was to go to "fully immersive 3D" I would have to stop playing, and that would suck. =P

Aside from the fact that my internet connection can't handle most any other game, the biggest drawcard for me with UO is that it ISN'T 3D graphics - less seasickness that way ;)
I find the comment about your internet connection rather humorous.

Who ever told you that 3D would require a better connection? :p That is just another of the many many myths about 3D games being perpetuated, right along with "requires a newer computer" "requires more memory" and so forth.

To the statements of the "UO is 2D and damn new players" sort, Troll much? The only reason not to want new players is that you want UO to die. If it doesn't start getting new player soon it Will.

People whine one excuse or the other. "If I want to play WoW I would play WoW" "UO doesn't Need 3D" and "3D makes me sick".

Firstly, if you are prone to seisure due to flashing lights and rapid motion, 2D / 3D makes no difference. The screen is still being updated at the same rate (based on your Video card, not the drawing method) so the argument is completely invalid.

A game with UO's systems/play and WoW's graphics/CS would kick WoW's arse to the curb and be the #1 game of all time.

And yes, UO needs 3D if it is ever going to grow (or even survive much longer).

S

Sir Kenga

I'd love to play also 3D client if it was really 3D with good graphics and easy interface. KR is not 3D at all and almost not playable, but i wish it grow to something better with SA and then again to something better so we could get eventually nice modern graphic UO.

E

Evilminion

Two issues here:

First off, if they did make a fully 3D client with a 2D option, I'd see no reason to switch, since I'm perfectly happy with the 2D in the current client. And yes, like others here, immersive 3D gives me motion sickness something fierce. I did play Oblivion, but only for an hour or so at a time, and I still went to bed feeling nauseated. *sad sigh*

Second off... oh my god... the thought of the land stampede that would happen if they deleted all our housing and told us to start over... :coco: rolleyes: :stretcher: :popcorn: :thumbdown: :eek: Sounds like a little slice of Hell to me, heh. And I know there's no way I'd be able to reclaim my sweet spot in Zento, so again with the "no, thank you"!

T

Teeshy

I find the comment about your internet connection rather humorous.

Who ever told you that 3D would require a better connection? :p That is just another of the many many myths about 3D games being perpetuated, right along with "requires a newer computer" "requires more memory" and so forth.
Didn't mean it the way you read it =) I mean that my internet connection means I can't play most other games, which is one of the reasons UO is the game I play - but aside from that, the lack of immersive 3D graphics is one of the biggest drawcards =)

Also, I'm not prone to seizure during flashing lights etc - I just get motion sickness when in what I call "3D sick games" (first person games, and also 3rd person, when the camera is following right behind the character - it's something to do with the motion of movement of the character/surroundings)

S!ckLoveR - I assumed you were responding directly to me, since you replied to my post, and I think I was the only person who had mentioned motion sickness to that point.

I also never said I would deny anyone a hypothetical 3D client - I said "For me, personally" in response to a specific comment =)

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends on what you mean by 3D. If it was turned into a first-person perspective game, I'd definately would not accept the change. This would make a whole different game out of UO. If it was isometric view like Diablo 3... That's what I always dreamt of.
Thank you Hawkeye! Thats what I've been thinking reading this whole thread.
I'm adding my 2 cents here, at least on a few points. I too can't play first person or games that have the multiple camera angles, I get beyond nauseous. I can't even watch someone play them, it's that bad for me. Some movies I can't watch certain scenes in I have to look away if I'm in a theater for the same reasons. (the fantastic cinematography in Lord of the Rings I never got to fully appreciate on the big screen) IF...IF UO was to ever become those sorts of views then I would sadly leave. But just to change the graphics to a better engine and to maintain it's perception, I would welcome any such change. KR still needs a lot of work, and I can't wait to see what the SA client brings us. But I think too many people are getting confused possibly by what 3D graphics and what different views would do to UO. Just my opinion of course

Oriana