• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT: Torn Tendons

• Thread starter BennosMorales
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

BennosMorales

Anyone have a torn Tendon in the shoulder area?
Specifically the tendon connecting the upper bicep to the shoulder?

If so, did you have it surgically reattached or just dealing with it? and which is better?

I'm opt'ing for surgery, but don't care to go under the knife....
either way I go has its downsides.

G

Hiya!

If that tendon is totally blown doesn't that really restrict your range of motion and aren't certain movements or lifting really painful? If its not totally gone, what did they give you as a prognosis? Tendons don't have really great blood supplies and can be really slow to heal.

The last person I knew not to opt for surgury was in his 70's with other health problems.

If you are fairly healthy I would think the risk of surgury would be worth the improvement in your quality of life, but thats your call.

Don't let a doctor push you any direction you don'y feel comfortable with, you are the customer and its YOUR body.

JFR

Q: What do they call someone who graduates last in medical school?
A: Doctor.

G

2nd, even 3rd opinion ALWAYS before choosing surgery, and don't be shy about asking the surgeon how many procedures he has done for that type of injury. No tendon or muscle tear is the same for any one person. Sometimes they can heal properly with the right care, sometimes they really need help with surgery. I am assuming they did MRI or some other type of soft tissue imaging to verify exactly the extent of what is damaged?

-Skylark

K

Khaza

Mine hasn't effected my golf swing yet....so i'm letting it ride

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

Q: What do they call someone who graduates last in medical school?
A: Doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a comedian I saw one time who was talking about this. He pointed out that somewhere out there exists the worst doctor in the world, and he is right now treating patients. Scary...

G

Here are a couple of sites that might be helpful. here and here.

I hope you find the info you seek. I do not think it is here. *nods*

G

Seriously...game forums probably aren't the best sources of advice for major medical conditions, important relationships...or any other major life decision either for that matter.

-Skylark

B

BennosMorales

I guess I found that out...just thought that many of us playing this game, who log into these forums are over 35 may have something positive/negitive to say about shoulder surgery from experience.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I guess I found that out...just thought that many of us playing this game, who log into these forums are over 35 may have something positive/negitive to say about shoulder surgery from experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

So naive and idealistic...

I do hope your injury gets better, and for the record, I was serious about the 2nd, and maybe 3rd opinions before deciding on surgery.

I do know someone personally who had a tear in the rotator cuff of one of her shoulders, which the doctor insisted required surgery. She passed on the surgery, and it healed on its own, and she went to physical therapy by way of follow up to get the full range of mobility restored after it healed. Every injury is different.

-Skylark

A

Alex the Gray

surgery dude. Get back to where you were- don't settle for where you are at. You'll regret it later if you do.
I've had shoulder isues- turn rotators, cartilege shredded and stripped off the bone, tendons torn. Actually the surgery didn't- and couldn't- help me. But the scar tissure from it did. At least I am not limited in what I want to do now.

Never settle- do what you have to do to get going again.

G

this isn't a question anyone here can give you a reasonable answer, even if he is a doctor. we don't know the history of that injury, nor your medical history. we dont have any xray pics.
you gotta talk to your doctor. if you dont trust him ask another doctor.