• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OT] Please come home to me *edit* Safe

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For Those in Peril on the Sea
(William Whiting)

Eternal Father, strong to save
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave.
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep
Oh hear us when we cry to thee
For those in peril on the sea.

O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at Thy word
Who walked'st on the foaming deep
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep.

Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood
Upon the chaos dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease
And give, for wild confusion, peace

O Trinity of love and power
Our brethren shield in danger's hour
From rock and tempest, fire and foe
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

My BF of six years has been out of contact with me for 3 days now, and thier GPS isn't 'answering'. Somwhere between King Island and Cape Otway the local boats now start searching.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well we know he had arrived at a certain point because their GPS Beeped some two days ago, letting 'us' know they had arrived and were out of mobile reception but all was ok. Normaly in that situation they would seen a 'beep' once every day letting us (the fisheries) know where they were, and that they wernt where they we'nt supposed to be (fishing outside their 'zone'. )
But no beeps to be had. No mobile reception. Nothing.

They have been out of contact for this long before, but not usualy without some other boat having seen them. Or knowing that their was foul weather and that their 'beep' may simply not be getting though. But this time is different. The weather is clear, sunny and calm. Even down there.

I dont know

G

oh god jah, thats so horrible *hugs* have you still got my mobile number? ring me if you need.

Keep us posted.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should know within the hour where they are. Helecopter has aparently just arrived apon their last 'bleep' spot and will begin to circle. Apaerntly they can cover an area the distance between King Island and Cape Otway within a few hours. So should know real soon.

S

siyeng0

OMG! I just came onto Stratics and I saw this! I'm so glad they're okay!

F

five oclock

<blockquote><hr>

OMG! I just came onto Stratics and I saw this! I'm so glad they're okay!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto..being safe is all that matters.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for you concern. Three days without contact is quite a serious thing in this day of age. With my partner being epileptic and all makes this situation worse again.

In case anyone thinks that i was overacting or anything like that id just like to inform you that the gap between King Island and Cape Otway is not only arguably the most hazardours passage in the ocean, its also has the higest number of shipwrecks in it (nonwartime) in the world, in a relativly small area. The most dangerous profession (creyfishing) in it. (goes second to mining with a mine collapses)
It is 40o south. For those not nautical among us that mean it is IN the roaring fourties. If you havnt heard of the Roaring Fourties well im not even going to bother.

But thank you all for your concern. When i actualy know what happend i will inform you all.

G

That sucks to hear, Glad he is ok. That area is insanely rough from what I've heard, so can understand the worry.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye. Ive heard a little from a phonecall. There was a fire on the boat, started in the engine room. Not serious but put their GPS out of order. As a prof fishing vessle, fisheries Taz dont like not know where people are (cos of illigal fishing). SO investigated ferther. At that point (whilst leaving King Island itself and come home, half way across the straight another fire started, and they set their 'eperb' off. Thats when i was contacted by the police asking if id heard from them, and ofcourse not cos of the Next G thing being so crappy, the search started. They are currently being towed home by a ship that was on the search party.

Thats all i know.

G

Oh thats good to read jah, at least you can breathe again. but you probably wont feel better till you can give him a great big hug and see that he is ok for yourself

G

Sorry for your fear and anguish I am so glad they have been found safe and are returning home.

I think a GPS implant should be put in all husbands and children it would just make life easier *grins*

G

Scarily enough that is going to be an option, i was reading something a couple of weeks ago about having chips in your kids that you can track with your mobile phone. Sad really
How the hell did we all survive without this technology eh.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Sorry for your fear and anguish I am so glad they have been found safe and are returning home.

I think a GPS implant should be put in all husbands and children it would just make life easier *grins*

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you in this. If a chip can be made small enough to put into pets for identification purposes, perhaps they can make one with a GPS type thing small enough to be put into the skin.

Update: The second fire on the boat caused enough stress for my poor partner to have a seizure and fall overbord. He wears a lifejacket vest that self inflates apon entering the water (thank the gods he actualy was wearing it). And through pure luck had his seizure upright, so he was not face down into the water. His poor brother Brett was faced with the desision to try to save the engine room from going up in flames (and therfore garunteeing the boat sinking) and getting Matt out of the water.
Seeing Matt was for the time being safe, activated the Eperb (a divice that emits a SOS signal) and went to the fire. Then apon getting Matt out of the water found that he had hit his head quite hard. Matt was picked up by a helicopter and as he only had brain surgury for his epilepsy two years ago a hit on the head can be bad indeed.
He was air lifted to the Austin Hospital in melb where he is in a stable condition. We will have to wait till he is consious before they can begin tests to see how hus brain is. As a hard enough hit on the head can reverse the surgury if he hit his head during a sezure.
Im off to Melb now.

G

omg jah im so sorry that thats happened to him! my thoughts are with you both. i really hope that he is ok.

G

Geriatrics

glad to hear he is ok

crayfishing is very dangerous :/

had a boat capsize on me once before sitting on a tiny little rock island with my dad they found us after about 8 hours because of the EPIRB