• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OT] Olympics. Are you over it?

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now im sure that many will think im being un patriotic or just a bad sport. But is anyone else a bit sick of it being pushed on us like it is? Im a fairly sporty person, i play tennis socialy, i play netball and i used to competitivly (sp) showjump. I like to watch a fair bit of the Olympics, as most Auzzies do i love the swimming cos we kick ass, i love watching the equestrian events (not that they show much of it), and i like some of the more entertaining track and field like pole vault and short sprints.
But as a whole im pretty much over it. I think a lot of that has to do with my job. I work in a prep to 12 school, and ofcourse all the primrary classes are doing everything Olympic for the last month. Im sick of hearing about it, im sick of my normal TV routine being out of wack and im sick of not having any variaty when i do decide to watch... /rant

Edit: Right now 11.30am, on channel 7 is beach volleyball, Japan v America. Why are we made to watch this when the Aus equestrian team is doing their cross country time trials right now?? Thats what irritates me!

F

Fink

Edit: Right now 11.30am, on channel 7 is beach volleyball, Japan v America. Why are we made to watch this when the Aus equestrian team is doing their cross country time trials right now?? Thats what irritates me!
OMG YOUR BLUDDY UNNA-STRAYAN!! BEACH = STRAYA! I WOZ BORN AT BONDI LIEK ALL TOP OZZIE LEJENZ! WTF HORSES? HOW MANY OZZIE BAT-LAS HAVE HORSES? STONE THA FLAMIN CROWS, AILS!

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG YOUR BLUDDY UNNA-STRAYAN!! BEACH = STRAYA! I WOZ BORN AT BONDI LIEK ALL TOP OZZIE LEJENZ! WTF HORSES? HOW MANY OZZIE BAT-LAS HAVE HORSES? STONE THA FLAMIN CROWS, AILS!

lolz :danceb::danceb::danceb:

S

Septimus

Now im sure that many will think im being un patriotic or just a bad sport. But is anyone else a bit sick of it being pushed on us like it is? Im a fairly sporty person, i play tennis socialy, i play netball and i used to competitivly (sp) showjump. I like to watch a fair bit of the Olympics, as most Auzzies do i love the swimming cos we kick ass, i love watching the equestrian events (not that they show much of it), and i like some of the more entertaining track and field like pole vault and short sprints.
But as a whole im pretty much over it. I think a lot of that has to do with my job. I work in a prep to 12 school, and ofcourse all the primrary classes are doing everything Olympic for the last month. Im sick of hearing about it, im sick of my normal TV routine being out of wack and im sick of not having any variaty when i do decide to watch... /rant

Totally agree. Ruined Tv for what 2 weeks? Not that I watch tv...unless Im at work lol. And whats annoying its only certain events usually on, oh its fine if you wanna watch swimming... Pretty much the only event you will see every heat of. But the rest are on at 3:40am and only for 5 mins until the next heat of swimming is on!

A

Amathist of PoC

I like to watch all the Australian events...and like Jahira said I would like to watch them when they happen, over watching some other country play a sport I really have no interest in.

Thats about my only complaint I can give up tv for awhile I just wish there coverage of Australian events was better.

G

General Electric

I think China should only be recognised as "Taiwanese Beijing" in international sporting events.

K

Katlene

im not big on the olympics but i did wach a fair chunk of the aussieds vs argentinians soccer game and hoky cow that was a game. aussies are wicked defenders! not so good at getting up the other end of the field though, only one goal was scored n that was right at the end when the argentinians were gettting edgy n taking pot luck kicks and got lucky. it was great

A

Amathist of PoC

totally off topic - I love your avatar Katlene its too cute.

A

AnaemicBullfrog

Am I not special to you anymore?

In all honesty, if you want watch something else, get foxtel. All your favorite episodes of Desperate Housewives will be on then.

F

Farscape

How do you think the rest of the world felt when Sydney hosted it?
Besides the opening was spectacular even though it did not top Sydney's in my view

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Totally agree. Ruined Tv for what 2 weeks? Not that I watch tv...unless Im at work lol. And whats annoying its only certain events usually on, oh its fine if you wanna watch swimming... Pretty much the only event you will see every heat of. But the rest are on at 3:40am and only for 5 mins until the next heat of swimming is on!
Foxtel is the cure for all things Olympic!

Its not like TV has been ruined for 2 weeks anyway, there is nothing worth watching on 7 normally anyway, its the worst FTA channel we have! Ok, maybe SBS has been 'ruined', but who watches it anyway? LOL

Actually I'm enjoying watching it all, when the NRL is not on that is...

S

Septimus

Foxtel is the cure for all things Olympic!

Its not like TV has been ruined for 2 weeks anyway, there is nothing worth watching on 7 normally anyway, its the worst FTA channel we have! Ok, maybe SBS has been 'ruined', but who watches it anyway? LOL

Actually I'm enjoying watching it all, when the NRL is not on that is...
Well my TV has :p Due to bad reception living in the middle of friggin nowhere, I only get channel 7 clearly and a blurry 9 and SBS, blurry as in I can hear the noise thru static and it looks like the white dots just may well outnumber the black dots...it is very interesting to see which will win however. If I was home more Id get Austar, cause I dont think you can get foxtel...God I love this place.

S

Septimus

How do you think the rest of the world felt when Sydney hosted it?
Besides the opening was spectacular even though it did not top Sydney's in my view
I felt the same when sydney hosted it lol, just glad I didnt live in Sydney and have to put up with that mess. But you get that. And that football game was a great game, pity I missed most of it. Considering who they were playing and how much those players get paid, we did very well. Was a well constructed goal to win however.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well my TV has :p Due to bad reception living in the middle of friggin nowhere, I only get channel 7 clearly and a blurry 9 and SBS, blurry as in I can hear the noise thru static and it looks like the white dots just may well outnumber the black dots...it is very interesting to see which will win however. If I was home more Id get Austar, cause I dont think you can get foxtel...God I love this place.
You can get Austar if you live in rural areas, Foxtel is metro only. I would highly recommend it if you get poor reception because you will get Austar through satellite, = perfect reception!

K

Katlene

he said if he was home more often he WOULD get austar. not alot of point paying for it if you arnt home to watch it.

i dont watch much tv, but when i do most of the shows are on prime but there are much better things to do then sit infront of the idiot box, like sit infront of a different kind and play games *grins*

S

Septimus

You can get Austar if you live in rural areas, Foxtel is metro only. I would highly recommend it if you get poor reception because you will get Austar through satellite, = perfect reception!
Yeah I have thought about it but meh, I wanna move anyway :p

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Channel 7, (when they gtfo the swimming) vs Raffa.

Get behind him!

COMMON LAYTON

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BAH! This is why I hate 7! HTFU and put Layton back on ffs!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish channel 9 was doing the Olympics, 7 is hopeless, especially when it comes to sport. Oh well, least London 2012 will be ok (Fox and 9).

S

Septimus

Channel 7, (when they gtfo the swimming) vs Raffa.

Get behind him!

COMMON LAYTON
*Wishes his fingers were the barrel of a gun*

Im sorry(well not really) but that knob makes me feel embarrassed to be an Australian. He gets gold for being the biggest knob in the country.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Wishes his fingers were the barrel of a gun*

Im sorry(well not really) but that knob makes me feel embarrassed to be an Australian. He gets gold for being the biggest knob in the country.
*shakes head*

Layton is safe from that title, so long as this man is alive...

:D

In all seriousness though, I think most people thought Layton was a bit up himself/rude when he first came on the scene and started his "common" fist pump, but I think most people have realize since that its simply the way he fires himself, and his supporters up. Its not meant to be a slight on his opponents, as some people wrongly assume.

K

Katlene

yar from what i always figured him k'mon thing was like the howzat in cricket

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prolly right. But i find tennis just as exciting as cricket... which is to say, not at all.
Tennis is miles more exciting than cricket, which is defiantly contender for most boring sport in the world, it would be a photo finish with lawn bawls probably...

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went lawn bowling for my staff Chistmas party last year (thats what you get for working for the education dept), was a LOT harder then i though. Though it got boring fast.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably the first time the terms "lawn bowls" and "photo finish" have ever appeared together anywhere.
Hehe. :thumbsup:

So whats the most boring sport? I say its gotta be cricket, the test cricket i think its called, when its not a one dayer. Makes me feel all hot and icky just watching them standing out there in some 40c country all day long... Not my idea of fun.

K

Katlene

i love lawn bowls. i play twilight bowls during daylight savings time
and next week end (if my cars fixed) ill be going to watch my dad play in the swan classic tourny.
The game takes alot of skill and there is alot to remember when you step up on the mat.
But like most things if you have no interest in it, it will be boring.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Playing it may be a different story, I'm sure its probably much more fun than watching it. Just like a friendly game of backyard cricket can be good fun too. As spectators sports though they really are good 'falling asleep on the couch' material :p

S

Septimus

I played Cricket for a looong time, and I must admit that being involved in the game is much more fun, standing in the outfield during a test match would be the most boring thing ever. And watching it isnt much better. Lawn bowls is kinda like darts and other strange sports. Somehow it is kinda interesting but I dont see how anyone could go and stay up or something to watch it.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you cant get injured its not a sport. lol joking.

Watched some fencing last night, man thats f'n nuts. Talk about reflexes...

Its like :sword::sword::sword::sword::sword: then somone goes :twak: