• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT- Help Needed Cures for sore throat

• Thread starter Amathist of PoC
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
A

Amathist of PoC

I have a bad case of strep throat, so I am looking for some really good sore throat cures as its impossible trying to explain to a toddler in a hushed whisper and croaky voice that they should not be doing something....infact she just smiles and laughs at me and continues on her way....naughty spot has become a whisper game grrrr.

So does anyone have any cures other then strepsils cause they do not last long enough, or butter menthol same deal and other wise I tried lemsip and again soothing only lasts for like 5 - 10 min.

So if anyone has any sore throat cures please post away cause I am so over this.

thanks in advance.

V

von Beck

I like to make a drink with juice squeezed from one lemon, 2 tsp of freshly grated ginger and a good dollop of honey. Infuse with 2 cups boiling water for a few minutes and strain.

You can vary the quantities and add more or less hot water according to taste. Straining is also optional, you can chew the ginger if you like :)

K

Katlene

1 standard drinking glass of hot to warm water
1 teaspoon of cayenne powder
a couple pinches of salt for good measure (most people say its not necessary but it won’t hurt)

Just simply take a mouthful and gargle away

This site is pretty cool, its where that recipes comes from

A

Amathist of PoC

Thanks guys I will give them a try....the antibiotics seem to be working but it still hurts alot. So hopefully some of these remedies will sooth that for me.

The worst part is I have not been near anyone who is sick...but hubby has been to work and everyone there is sick so he brings the delightful germs home to me.

D

Dain

1 1/2 cups of boiling water.

Tablespoon grated ginger

3 cloves of garlic finely chopped

juice of one lemon

1 tablespoon honey

peppermint teabag.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actualy have a case of strep throught right now myself. Ive had it for about two weeks but have been much better this past few days. Ive been tackeling it quite offensively. Gargeling lysterine and betadine 6 or 7 times a day, antibiotics and stopped smoking (i know i shouldnt anyway :p). Make sure if you buy some lysterine you get the antibacterial one, otherwize your just using a mouth freshener. Use it as undiluted as you can handle, straight up if your realy brave haha.

A

Amathist of PoC

I actually did Lysterine straight up this morning not even thinking I just wanted something to kill the pain.....well it just about lifted my head off brought tears to my eyes and I just about died choking on it.

A

Amathist of PoC

1 1/2 cups of boiling water.

Tablespoon grated ginger

3 cloves of garlic finely chopped

juice of one lemon

1 tablespoon honey

peppermint teabag.
This one sounds really good....excepth the garlic like 3 cloves in one drink my stars I will smell for like a month.

T

Teeshy

Jack Daniels/JimBeam/favourite alcoholic beverage.

Drink til you cant feel the pain no more

A

Amathist of PoC

Jack Daniels/JimBeam/favourite alcoholic beverage.

Drink til you cant feel the pain no more
*chuckles* a woman after my own heart ...if I did not have a little one that would wake me in the morning it would be so tempting.

S

Septimus

I usually just sleep as much as possible, body heals quicker.

A

Amathist of PoC

I usually just sleep as much as possible, body heals quicker.
I would love to but my little one just doesn't want to be in on that plan...thankfully my throat seems to be sore but bearable today. Lots of lemon honey tea yesterday and butter menthols. The antibiotics seem to be fast acting too which is great.

Any way thanks again for all the help guys. By the weekend I hope to be normal or at least I will be able to sleep all weekend and beat it by next week. Thank god for Daddy Daughter days (Saturday & Sunday).

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now its my turn. My BF has a severe toothache. He's been to the dentist and is booked to take it out, but not for THREE WEEKS! cos they need the infection to go down before they can do anything.

He's been using toothache drops from the chemist, which he's seemed to become amune to now no matter how much we uses. Hes on antibiotics, and using a medical mouthwash, but the poor boy is just in constant agony. His face is so swolen it looks like hes been hit by Mr T...

Somone told us to use cloves on it, but erm, how? Its a tad sore to stick an actual solid clove on it... Maybe grind some up and put the powder on it? He is out at sea and wont be back for another week or so, so hes very limited to what he can get his hands on.

T

Teeshy

Nah, you use the whole clove, and kinda lay it along the top of your tooth, and close down on it, hold your teeth shut for a while (assuming it's a bottom tooth) Worst toothache I ever had I held a bottle of half frozen water against the outside of my cheek - that eased it somewhat.

K

Katlene

jah cloves are awesome, i had the same thing where it was way to sore to put a whole clove on so i got a lil jar of ground cloves (find it with other herbs and spices in the supermarket) and put some of that up there. Worked a treat.

A

Amathist of PoC

I also say go with cloves but you can also buy it in liquid form from some health food stores (not much help to him at sea I know) but when he comes home he can use it like toothache drops.

He can also use Bonjella (the stuff you use on babies gums) and the other stuff is good old fashioned Vegiemite...sounds strange I know but I actually found it works better then bonjella on my little one for her teething. And they use to use it during wars for ulcers and toothaches and so on it has a numbing effect.

Cold compresses and hot compresses can help also on the out side of the cheek....depending on what your tooth is sensitive too..if it hurts when you drink hot liquid go with cold compress and so on.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I passed on the info about the cloves, but as its just so horridly infected the sharpness of the clove is just unbareable. He had a little luck grinding a couple up and sprinkling it on the gum, but yeah, i think this is just one of those times where you just have to bear it.
He has panadine forte, but there kinda medeocre for that kinda sharp pain. Anything stronger and its just not safe for him on the boat. I suspect he's just going to have to suffer till he gets back home and can take some stronger painkillers.

K

Katlene

teeth are nothing but trouble from the day you get them.
ive had 2 wisdom teeth out because i was biting holes into my cheek.
The one that causes me the most trouble i still have in my gob, had abcysses n all sorts of fun with it, but it needs to come through a bit more before they can pull it out :( evil evil teefs

D

Dain

Never swallowed a tablet of any form before :/

Never been to the doctors nor the dentist and I have never been sick beyond a colf/minor flu.

Eat healthy people!

K

Katlene

i hate to agree with fact but he's dead right.
You should also go to the docs for checkups aswell as the dentist.

D

Dain

I went i was born :/

I have straight and white teeth, haven't had a tooth ach before. But perhaps you're right, prevention better then cure.

Mishra_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when I was young I felt the same way... As you get older, it's a diffrent story.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never swallowed a tablet of any form before :/

Never been to the doctors nor the dentist and I have never been sick beyond a colf/minor flu.

Eat healthy people!
Yeah ill remember the next time i go to Thailand not to get the Maleria shots cos i eat healthy. Oh and Ill skip any vaxinations and who needs a tetnus shot when somthing happens? Not me!

Sorry Dain but i gotta say your bull****ting with this one. If i hadnt decided to get a tooth of mine straightened i may have never gone to the dentist myself, ive never had a toothache not any other issues. However saying youve never swallowed a tablet or been to the doctor? Please dont take this as a troll, but are your parents those total hippy types who dont belive in modern medicine? Kids get vaccinated for stuff, a lot of certain jobs require health checks, if you want private health insurance you need it, or life insurance when your older.
Even if youve never been sick in your life, there are countless reasons to need a doctor. The most healthy person in the world can still catch a virus or get hit by a car.

Tell me, if you were one day expecting to be a father, would you tell soon to be mother of your child not to go get the regular medical checkups throughout the pregnancy?

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have straight and white teeth, haven't had a tooth ach before. But perhaps you're right, prevention better then cure.

Yeah next time somone is about to crash into my car and break a few of my bones ill tell them not to cos i want to prevent it... :coco:

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For all you know you could have a hole in your tooth, gum disease, you might not have room for your wisdom teeth, there is an absolute tonne of things that you could have wrong with you and you wouldn't have the faintest idea. It's really stupid not going to the dentist.

D

Dain

I wouldn't consider my parents the total hippy type :/

Actually my father works in the hospital here and my mother use to be a doctor.

I think I get a lot of treatment from home that other's would go to the doctors or dentist to get.

One of the reasons I think i haven't had my childhood dependant on drugs is because my parents see the other side of most medication and vaccinations out there. Most doctor's children are in the same circumstances as me as most doctors share the same view.

For example, most vaccinations stop being produced after 4 years as they discover they have long term side effects they didn't realise or have just become ineffective against common virus strands.

For example the Cervical Cancer shot just got withdrawn from all public schools as it's expected to increase chances of human papaloma virus symptoms (everything from warts to breast cancer) by 14%.

And yes, if I had an accident or became ill neither me nor my parents would hesitate to take me to the hospital and to leave me in their care; doctor's and medical worker's aren't normally allowed to work with family and friend clientele.

And for practical things like pregnany, travel precautions and whatnot I wouldn't even hesitate; but I have never been in any of those situations.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im glad to hear that. :) But yeah as Fact said, you can have a stack of stuff wrong with your teeth without even knowing it. I know your reasonably young, and going to the dentist is still up to your parents, but id perhaps ask if its somthing you might need to do. Or you may end up like my bf. His parents never put a high prioraty on oral care and hygene, and though he does the standard brush your teeth twice a day, his teeth are quite literaly rotting out of his head. Hes had to have 5 teeth removed so far (and looks like another now :S) at a massive cost to him, each one cost well over $1000. All due to a gum condition that could have been prevented. He was in his 20's when he first ever went to the dentist. He had beautifull straight white teeth, all his siblings have similar problems.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
next time ask your doctor to prescribe Lidocaine Viscious while he's writing the antibiotics script.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well he's had the tooth removed now, at a cost of $1200. WHen they did the xray they also pointed out that theres 2 more that are likely to start causing him trouble in the next few years.
Im kinda at the point now where i dont care any more. The dental surgeon said he could take out all the problem teeth now for $200 a tooth, but Matt said no, he didnt want to 'stuff around with that'.
So now hes just waiting for them to cause him a few weeks pain and cost $1000 each. That just makes perfct sence right? :coco:

F

Fink

And for practical things like pregnany, travel precautions and whatnot I wouldn't even hesitate; but I have never been in any of those situations.
You've never travelled or been pregnant? :confused: