• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Origin Economy

T

Trinsie

Hi all,

So let me start by saying that so far I am a month or more into playing. I have been living off the gold from slaying random monster ever day while training my and perfecting my skills.

I am now at the point where I need higher tier scrolls and better armor to progress, but just killing monsters with a weak character is not cutting it. Thus, I have decided to provide a service with items rendered to you for a price of course.

I was thinking for a while of what I would like to sell as my wares and after a bit of looking and thinking I came up with wood.

Now, I have been lumberjacking a lot recently and as off today I am starting to get ash logs.

I will have to use some to work on my carpentry so I can turn the higher level logs into boards.

Here are my questions regarding this:

Do you think there is a market for wood on Origin or most people that would want it farm their own?

What would I set prices at if there is a market? I do not want to overcharge anyone. I was thinking normal boards 30% off the NPC vendor prices, but no clue about the colored boards.

Also what sizes should I sell deeds in 1k, 10k, 25k, 50k or a mix of them all?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

L

Lord Arcane

the wood market its so so here its good but origin has few players so it makes it bad some times, but i know i would buy some, i use to get my own but i don't got as much time to play as i use to so. as for price i don't know prices of wood anymore, deed size i'd say sell a mix of sizes so everyone has chance to get the wood they need from someone to can only afford 1k or some of us who can spend little more and get 50k or more at a time

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, if you're lucky enough to get 10k of the higher end woods, I wouldn't sell in bundles of more than that.

I've even sold in stacks of 100, 1k, 5k, 10k. That's about it. Ingots, on the other hand I seem to have luck with and will sell those when I get em in higher quanities. Then again, I haven't had time to mine or LJ lately.

When I get in game, I can tell you my prices for wood, which are lower than most prices because I generally charge around what I am willing to pay for stuff on my vendors. Then you can choose from there.

T

Trinsie

Yeah thanks for the info.

About the getting 10k of the higher end woods. According to Stratics you have a 6% or less chance of a tree to privide one of the top 3 wood with 100 lumberjacking. That is 2% or less chance for a tree to have a particular type of the 3 highest woods.

I am guessing that means it could take a long time to get 10k of one specific high end wood lol.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

So let me start by saying that so far I am a month or more into playing. I have been living off the gold from slaying random monster ever day while training my and perfecting my skills.

I am now at the point where I need higher tier scrolls and better armor to progress, but just killing monsters with a weak character is not cutting it. Thus, I have decided to provide a service with items rendered to you for a price of course.

I was thinking for a while of what I would like to sell as my wares and after a bit of looking and thinking I came up with wood.

Now, I have been lumberjacking a lot recently and as off today I am starting to get ash logs.

I will have to use some to work on my carpentry so I can turn the higher level logs into boards.

Here are my questions regarding this:

Do you think there is a market for wood on Origin or most people that would want it farm their own?

What would I set prices at if there is a market? I do not want to overcharge anyone. I was thinking normal boards 30% off the NPC vendor prices, but no clue about the colored boards.

Also what sizes should I sell deeds in 1k, 10k, 25k, 50k or a mix of them all?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
I discovered that the wood section of UO guide is wrong on what carpentry skill level it takes to make boards. I found that I could make oak boards at 65, ash at 80, (which is correct to the guide)and yew, bloodwood, frostwood at 95 and heartwood at 100. The guide says you can't make bloodwood, heartwood or frostwood until 100. I believe that the the programming for this is wrong. I am sure the heartwood and frostwood difficulty is supposed to be reversed since the frostwood is supposed to be the rarer of the woods.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to buy such things when I don't have time to get my own. I go through high quanitities of regular wood making kegs and furniture stuffs, ingots to make craftables as well. If you're going to sell regular wood, I'd sell it in packs of 5-10k. The higher end stuff in bundles of 1k or less. I dunno how hard the higher end stuff is to get because I'm not that high in skill yet, but the numbers above are sobering. lol..

So in short, I'd consider selling ingots as well. I've had several people request them on the vendors but I don't have the time necessary to sell such a thing.

T

Trinsie

I tend to buy such things when I don't have time to get my own. I go through high quanitities of regular wood making kegs and furniture stuffs, ingots to make craftables as well. If you're going to sell regular wood, I'd sell it in packs of 5-10k. The higher end stuff in bundles of 1k or less. I dunno how hard the higher end stuff is to get because I'm not that high in skill yet, but the numbers above are sobering. lol..

So in short, I'd consider selling ingots as well. I've had several people request them on the vendors but I don't have the time necessary to sell such a thing.
I have a character with mining also. That would take a little more time to skill up in addition to my lumberjack. The thing I like about lumberjacking is I can turn the logs into boards as I go but with mining I can't smelt as I go (don't have a fire beetle lol).

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be happy to tame a beetle for you. ;) Whether you plan on selling ingots or not.

I have more patience for mining than lumberjacking! If you need a vendor to sell your stuff, let me know. =) Glad you're considering selling resources.

T

Trinsie

Guys! This is the best UO day for me ever so far. It is like Christmas...

So I been chopping wood to start this vendor. Today I set up my vendor at my house.

Took me a moment to figure it out since I never had a vendor before.

I then made some runes and dropped one off at various moongates and banks.

I talked to a friend a little then went to kill swoop. When I got to swoop someone else was there already so I left. I stabled my pet in Luna and noticed my rune there was gone, both of em.

I thought someone threw em away because they had been there only about 20 minutes.

I went to my house to make a new rune and see if anyone had bought a stack of wood.

This is where my mind was blown! I was already almost out of wood on my vendor.

The most gold I have had so far at one time was slightly over 90k.

Today in the course of my vendor opening up I had sold almost 800k in wood in about half an hour.

Thank you to everyone for your business. I appreciate it!

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome! Congrats. I knew resources would do well for you. With ingots you're bound to have good sales. I don't know of any current vendors standing that still sell resources. I'm happy, for one, to see you selling this stuff. :D

H

Halpo

Congratz, good to see you are able to make some cash.

Back in the day I chopped a whole crap load of wood in anticipation of working my carpentry skill. Alas I never got around to working the skill (maybe some day). He has roughly 300k in logs in his bank.

None the less, good work

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratz, good to see you are able to make some cash.

Back in the day I chopped a whole crap load of wood in anticipation of working my carpentry skill. Alas I never got around to working the skill (maybe some day). He has roughly 300k in logs in his bank.

None the less, good work
That a lot of wood. It is just about enough to do a carpenter. and then you can make all kinds of neat boxes. wooppee!

H

Halpo

That a lot of wood. It is just about enough to do a carpenter. and then you can make all kinds of neat boxes. wooppee!
Actually I had more but I gave a family member some of it so that they could make a run at GM....Back when I created my Archer (and I mean a very long time ago) that is all I did when I go bored of making things a pin coushin....