• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Opening Paragon Chests

G

I am pretty new to the game and am kind of lost on how to do this. Do I need to make a guy with lockpicking and raise it up to do? Are there better ways to do so? Can I use magic, if so what level is needed? If I need to make a lock picker what level do I need to get to open the chests?

Thanks

G

all paragon chest are level 6,

you need a grandamster in lockpicking and even then you fail alot.

i would not put lockpick on a warrior character, you need all your skills for fighting, healing etc.

I suggest putting it on a support character, like if you have a blacksmith or a tailor and they have room for the skill.

you need to work up the skill, a few ways

first buy as much of the skill as possible from npc theif guildmasters, they are in various cities look around.

after this you need to find a player tinker with 20 points higher in tinkering that your lockpicking (so if you have 40 lockpicking you need a tinker with 60) have them make you a few locked chests and pick them tell you gain 20 points then repeat by finding a higher tinker to make you more chests

or many shards have public lockpicking houses setup where you can go and pick, you need to look around on your shard, or ask if there are any houses setup on your shard forums here.

once you hit 85 skill you can pick chest in dungeons, then once you hit around 95 you can gain off level 6 chests you will not open them but you can gain. or you can stick with dungeon chests to gm.

also if you go to dugneon despise and you see a keg spawn pick it up, you can use these to train picking on too.

remember all chests are trapped, so once you pick open the lock, you need to either use the remove trap skill to disarm the trap or you need to put the chest down move away and cast telekinesis on it, triggering the trap.

simple, good luck.

I

imported_xStrikerx

<blockquote><hr>

all paragon chest are level 6

[/ QUOTE ]

That's completely wrong. The level of chest that a paragon drops is 1 level higher than the treasure map that the creature would normally drop (ie Ancient Wyrms drop level 5 maps so the chest from a paragon would be level 6). Mages can use their unlock spell on lower level chests (level 2 or 3 is the highest) which drop from weaker paragons like earth elementals and greater mongbats.

The rest of the post is good though

G

the ones dropping from the dark wisps in the new event are all level 6 and they do not drop maps.

figuring these are the chest he is talking about since people are just dropping them everywhere.

G

Thank you for the info. These were lower level ones I assume as I got one off of a gargoyle and one off of a mongbat. Also, what does the color of the chest mean?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, Dark Wisp chests are Level FIVE.

They have "Deviously" maps in them. The still need GM Lockpick to pick, though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The gargoyle is a level 2 chest (can be opened with GM magery casting Unlock, or lockpicking in the low 70s).

The Mongbat one is level 1, and can be opened with Unlock at 50 magery, or lockpicking in the low 30s.

There are 11 different chest colors, and the chests come in two facings, and two trim types.

The colors are Natural, Luna White (like the bank chests), Umbra Black (same), and the 8 colored ore types. The trim types are Gold &amp; Plain. Facing means that they either face east. or face south - unlike normal containers, they don't have a chance of turning when placed, you have to use a decoration tool to turn them (and there have been issues in the past where turning one can cause its contents to vanish sometime later, so I wouldn't risk turning one).

T

tymbow

<blockquote><hr>

the ones dropping from the dark wisps in the new event are all level 6 and they do not drop maps.

figuring these are the chest he is talking about since people are just dropping them everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know - I picked up 17 of them for my lock picker.

P

Prudentis

Why do people keep dropping them in the event?
I am collecting them and waiting for my lockpicker to hit GM (should be today).
Are they crap or are the others just after the planearties and don't want to lose time bringing those chests to the bank?
I have a hard time getting those arties myself (my best pets are not bonded yet) so the only thigs I can kill are the wisps and such, which don't drop the arties. Should I try to get the planethings or are the chests good loot for a returning, non-uber equipped player like myself?

G

just a matter of not wanting to waste time... a lot of folks seem to just be looking for the event items because hey lets face it, someone somewhere down the line is going to be offering some obscene amount of money for them :p

P

Prudentis

Well in that case, it's all well.
I'm going to just keep collectiong the left behind chests and money and getting my occasional planesword and planeshield.

G

What people are leaving out is if your after loot, forget chests and the time investment to raise lockpicking.

its crap loot and a waste of time, yes even T-hunting the maps.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let's see -

not one but TWO 100 luck rings off of monsters in a half-hour period (both with desirable other mods), 4 nice weapons and and 2 55+ resist enhancable items from the corpses, and another two weapons and similar armor from the 10 or so chests I've opened this weekend off the wisps.

Considering I've looted a lot more corpses than found chests, sound to me like the chests are at least worth looking inside. Besides, the maps are donatable to the library - hell, you can donate the GOLD in them to the library without even unlocking the chests (and given the chests I've opened up recently for people, with no gold, the insurance probably can be pulled from the chests too).

P

Prudentis

1. I don't have millions of money on my account. I have barely over 400k right now, so anything of value is good for me.
2. The chests are a nice addition to my house
3. Lockpicking is a thing I am developing on my T-Hunter, not for the money but for FUN. I know, that compared to plain spawncamping, T-Hunts don't pay off.
4. I can't kill all the stuff in the event and the wisps are the only things (besides the trashmobs of course) that I can solo fast and without risk. My mare shreds them to pieces in a matter of seconds.
5. On top of the chests and threads from the wisps, I collect chests lying around and any good item from the corpses and from left behind corpses I can find. They are good enough items for my other chars, since they are just developing and some may even have resale value.

The best +luck items I was able to find were two +75 jewels, so not that good, but I found some nice looking armor with 50+ resists.
So to answer your post, rwek, if you have mainly doom-quivalent equipped characters on your account(s)? than I see the validity of your post.
For someone like me, the event is much more than just "farming" the artifacts

And besides the collecting part, it actually is quite fun

And you should see my house right now. LOL It's littered with dozens of chests

Since I was killing wisps all night, I didn't have the time to go to get the last LP points. So I am storing the chests in my house. If the event goes on for a few more days, I will have to rent a depot

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure there are only 11 colors?

Here's a pic of some chests I got from the Wisps during this event, maybe I am not seeing correctly but I think they're all different.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

G

Look at the trim on them carefully. Basara mentions 2 trim types. And yeah ... about 11 or 12 specific colors in each trim type and each facing direction.

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The trim types are Gold &amp; Plain

[/ QUOTE ]

I need some help there please, don't quite understand that part. What do you refer to exactly as "trim types"? Would it mean some have golden hued edges or details? I've looked "trim" up, and already knew a few meanings for the word, but I still don't get it, and looking at the chests isn't helping me.

I turned my chests around countless times while sorting and comparing them, haven't had anything disapear so far.

Thanks for your help.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The gold trim has gold-trimmed edges on the normal version, much lighter edges on the colored versions. The plain (sometimes referred to as silver trimmed) are pretty much uniform in color, with only slightly brighter edges.

Here is half of my collection of Dark Wisp chests from their original appearance in Moonglow, plus their presence since then in the connector area between Wisp and Cyclops dungeons in Ilshenar. None of these have been turned (in this pic -only resorted to turning last chest, in the other facing, I needed for set after a month of failing to get it - those are one floor up).

Note that the issue with turning the chests was dicovered soon after Paragon chests were created, and MAY have been corrected. It seems to be related to the bug with some of the barrels and kegs obtained from gypsy &amp; brigand spawns. The issue is that the chest AND contents disappear.

There is another bug, though one needs to be wary of. As recently as last week, I had one person bring me an unpicked daemon paragon chest that they'd locked down at home, only for me to open it and find it empty. If you secure or lock down a paragon chest, before the point where a normal "dug-up" treasure chest would normally decay, it may have its contents go away when that timer ticks down, even if the chest does not.

If one keeps a chest in your bank box for more than a day, this seems to prevent both issues.

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brilliant, it all makes perfect sense now. Thanks a lot for the infos and advices.

*goes back wisp hunting to complete his set*

P

Prudentis

<blockquote><hr>

If you secure or lock down a paragon chest, before the point where a normal "dug-up" treasure chest would normally decay, it may have its contents go away when that timer ticks down, even if the chest does not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my dear God! Please no!
That would mean, that all my chestfarming in the last week was futile.
I went to the event and haven't opened any chests because I did not have the time to GM lockpicking yet.
If the above is true and happens often I will cry

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The operative word is MAY....

It hits about as often as the Insurance Bug does in PvM (very rarely, but just often enough to show that it does happen).

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

all paragon chest are level 6,

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure this is inacurate. All paragon chests are one level above what that treasure map (dropped from that mob) would be. That means if its a mongbat paragon then the chest would be level 2 not level 6.

<blockquote><hr>

you need a grandamster in lockpicking and even then you fail alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my memory, you fail quite a bit, but you don't fail all the time so it evens out.

<blockquote><hr>

i would not put lockpick on a warrior character, you need all your skills for fighting, healing etc.

I suggest putting it on a support character, like if you have a blacksmith or a tailor and they have room for the skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just make a treasure hunter...if having access to your own private spawns of mobs and items appeals to you then that should be the way to go.

<blockquote><hr>

first buy as much of the skill as possible from npc theif guildmasters, they are in various cities look around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or start a new character and set lockpicking to 50 or do the quest to get it to 50.

<blockquote><hr>

after this you need to find a player tinker with 20 points higher in tinkering that your lockpicking (so if you have 40 lockpicking you need a tinker with 60) have them make you a few locked chests and pick them tell you gain 20 points then repeat by finding a higher tinker to make you more chests

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason to have the 20 skill difference is to keep from breaking lockpicks. The gains are slightly affected but not highly affected. You can gain at 50 (and above) from gm lock boxes, but you will break a lot of picks early on. Because they got rid of anti-macro coding, you can now use the same box over and over.

<blockquote><hr>

once you hit 85 skill you can pick chest in dungeons, then once you hit around 95 you can gain off level 6 chests you will not open them but you can gain. or you can stick with dungeon chests to gm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can and should, unless you are into the gaining through game play method, go all the way to 95.6 (pretty sure its .6 I know its 95) on a gm tinker lock box.

At 95.6 you can go do the satyre trick to take it to 100 or you can do paragon chests (which will break a lot of lock picks).

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

Mages can use their unlock spell on lower level chests (level 2 or 3 is the highest) which drop from weaker paragons like earth elementals and greater mongbats.

[/ QUOTE ]

To my knowledge, mages can only use unlock on level 1 and level 2 chests (level 2 requires GM magery). However, I could be wrong and you might be able to unlock level 3 chests, but if you can then it would probably take legendary magery.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

Why do people keep dropping them in the event?
I am collecting them and waiting for my lockpicker to hit GM (should be today).
Are they crap or are the others just after the planearties and don't want to lose time bringing those chests to the bank?
I have a hard time getting those arties myself (my best pets are not bonded yet) so the only thigs I can kill are the wisps and such, which don't drop the arties. Should I try to get the planethings or are the chests good loot for a returning, non-uber equipped player like myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a combination of the t-hunter getting constanly overlooked and lock of gm lockpickers as a result. You not only have to take those items to the bank, but you also have to pick the lock. Then they probably contain items that look weak when compared to items contained when hunting with decent luck. To my knowledge, they still have not made luck affect treasure chests which means out of a chest with a bout 125 items (level 5) that spawns blood elementals, poison elementals, and the like, you keep about 2-3 items.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some people have reported being able to use 120 magery on level 3s - not tested it personally.

And to the previous poster.

The Mongbat/Greater Mongbat chests are level one, as Mongbats were made a special case, and coded for "level 0" maps that they don't actualyl drop, but does trigger their ability to have level 1 paragon chests.

A

Avalonia

I am pretty sure if you put the chests in another container instead of locking them down then there is no issue. Does the old way of opening a chest that would completely destroy the chest and end in your immediate death but give you access to the chest contents still work?