• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] Valknut and the Tomb of Kings

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I begin this with a disclaimer. I am aware that this is likely no more than a series of interesting coincidences. I am aware triangular symbolism is visible in the art of numerous cultures. I am aware this probably represents the Three Gargish Principles.

However I still wanted to share.

I am starting a new character. A Nordic Barbarian. What do I do when I start a character based on a particular theme of culture? I research. I don't care if I am playing a Vampire Hunter or a Samurai. I research the hell out of the mythos so I know all I can when I implement that character into the World of Ultima Online.

So in my quest to create a Norse Barbarian I decided to visit Wikipedia and look up the entries on Norse and Germanic Paganism. When I did I happened to notice a very interesting symbol on the right. Three intersecting triangles called the Valknut.

Lo and Behold. I happened to remember seeing such a symbol in the Tomb of Kings in Ter Mur.

I did a bit of research. The Valknut comes from the Old Norse valr (Slain Warriors) and knut (Knot). It is unclear what the significance of this symbol is, but as Hilda Ellis Davidson theorizes, "For instance, beside the figure of Odin on his horse shown on several memorial stones there is a kind of knot depicted, called the valknut, related to the triskele. This is thought to symbolize the power of the god to bind and unbind, mentioned in the poems and elsewhere. Odin had the power to lay bonds upon the mind, so that men became helpless in battle, and he could also loosen the tensions of fear and strain by his gifts of battle-madness, intoxication, and inspiration."

Wait. That sounds familiar. We're talking about the burial tomb of the Gargish Kings. Those of you who are familiar with the Crypt are also aware that the Silver Serpent spawns atop the 'Valknut.' What does Ultima Lore have to say about the Silver Serpent?

Codex of Editable Wisdom; Silver Serpent Venom said:
Silver Serpent Venom is first heard of in Ultima VI, as the Gargoyles milked it from Silver Serpents to give to their warriors as a strength-enhancing battle drug. Using the venom in this way was fatal to them.

[...]

Silver serpent venom is a reagent that, when ingested in small doses, temporarily enhances one's physical strength, stamina and quickness, along with bringing a feeling of euphoria. After the effects wear off, the subject feels quite drained, compelling many users to seek another dose.

Prolonged use in such a fashion will bring about a condition that deteriorates the skin, eventually causing it to rot away. Too great a dose or accumulation of doses is fatal, as the venom is a deadly poison.
We're in a Tomb. Odin in Norse Myth is synonymous with Hades or Pluto as opposed to Zeus or Jupiter. He is a Death God in charge of gathering the fallen - Heroes and Warrior Kings - to create an army in preparation for the Battle of Ragnarok. (Norse Armageddon.)

What do we have? Gargoyles who use Silver Serpent Venom to enter a Berserker Rage. Silver Serpent spawns on the Valknut. The Valknut is a Symbol of Odin (God of Death, Berserkers, Ritual Intoxication, etc.) and is often carved on Graves and Memorials. We have one in the Tomb of Kings.

Coincidence? Perhaps. But I thought that was interesting and wanted to share. Perhaps the Valknut in the Tomb of Kings is a reference to Norse Myth?

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
awesome post. reminds me of seeing the UO paintings in real life once. Its great to know that when your out an about, the world around you is not just aesthetically pleasing design, it hails from somewhere and arrives with meaning.

M

Merci d'Rue

This is very interesting, I have used a bit of Norse and germanic undertones in my guild a bit of a twist on thier traditions so something like this is definitely something that catches my eye.

I to research my characters prior to playing them, as this proves how much it pays off!

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Number one, thank you for posting this.

Number two, there are a lot of people who don't bother to put in the effort so their characters come off with no depth. You have just shown that taking the time makes a huge difference and makes the roles we play 3 dimensional!

Thank you!