• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

On Pacific pvp

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seen this on UOHall...

And decided it would be a good discussion here...

What can Pac do (or even UO) do to get more Townies interested in pvp...

Cause I am tired of dying by the same people over and over again...

Lets try to keep this civil and not drop down to 7th grade. Else I'll tell on you.

SouthernRageLNR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We can start by removing all the homes around gates, and all guards from the gates then they wont be any townies.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We can make a time Machine. Go back to when PvP was a blast.

V

Velandra

It really would be nice if towns without guards also had unguarded moongates.

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really would be nice if towns without guards also had unguarded moongates.
Guards I don't care about, but the house removal.. Man, I would be steamed... Some developers would be delt with via mushroom bruise.

BloodRavenFL

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it comes down to trying to influence the trammel specific players in the fun of PvP. Most people don't understand how much fun PvP really is.

Maybe a red guild should host a PvP training night? We should open Felucca up (Temporarily) to the blue guilds and I think we could get a more then warm reception.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make up some sort of shard wide PvP event, say a tourney of some sort, A strong man competition, Fight night, We will get people to box it out UFC style where Wrestling is the only skill required though more to go with it would be smart of course, contestants will be itemless and not able to use pots,or any other buffs or spells just wrestling and special moves. The PvP community can pitch in on/donate prizes..................................................:bored:

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make up some sort of shard wide PvP event, say a tourney of some sort, A strong man competition, Fight night, We will get people to box it out UFC style where Wrestling is the only skill required though more to go with it would be smart of course, contestants will be itemless and not able to use pots,or any other buffs or spells just wrestling and special moves. The PvP community can pitch in on/donate prizes..................................................:bored:

We have tried this over and over... No trammies show up, it just ends up in a gank fest....

Second: Ooji used to open the shard once or twice a year... TO let trammies do spawns... 24 hours... As the dominant guild in UO, Fallen Lords... It was easy to enforce that... AND we even got some good recruits out of it.

Then again there was the FLC... Where they were protected by FL but not a part of FL... And were free to do spawns as often as they wanted with a small monthly fee of corse.

BOTH of those ideas made Fel a good place for Trammies, and a VERY busy place... Leaders like Ooji and Du and Cecil are no longer a part of the game...

All leaders now are selfish theives... And it's killing our pvp.

And the ones that are willing to do this stuff are not big enough to enforce it.

We should all big and little pvp guilds just take a weekend off and open the shard... Maybe it will help.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it comes down to trying to influence the trammel specific players in the fun of PvP. Most people don't understand how much fun PvP really is.

Maybe a red guild should host a PvP training night? We should open Felucca up (Temporarily) to the blue guilds and I think we could get a more then warm reception.
Kinda of an idea here, Say the pvp community can put differences aside for a couple hours and run a shard invited harrower, and play out how they are done, can get part way through it, have one of our red guilds raid but not in the normal fashion they will only fight/spar other pvpers like a show almost, fields would go up and the whole shabang the reds go down, and the trammies get their scrolls. While not really a real fight I think we can bring in the feel and excitement of a real one.

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda of an idea here, Say the pvp community can put differences aside for a couple hours and run a shard invited harrower, and play out how they are done, can get part way through it, have one of our red guilds raid but not in the normal fashion they will only fight/spar other pvpers like a show almost, fields would go up and the whole shabang the reds go down, and the trammies get their scrolls. While not really a real fight I think we can bring in the feel and excitement of a real one.
It will NEVER work... the immaturity of M, won't let it... They will turn it into a gank fest further scaring away newer possible pvpers...

They just don't get it. They don't get the game... THey are like Wal Mart... Sure they are big and have good prices, but they are killing the fun and hopes for the game around them.... and they are too dumb to see it.

BloodRavenFL

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will NEVER work... the immaturity of M, won't let it... They will turn it into a gank fest further scaring away newer possible pvpers...

They just don't get it. They don't get the game... THey are like Wal Mart... Sure they are big and have good prices, but they are killing the fun and hopes for the game around them.... and they are too dumb to see it.
My idea while perfect in theory is not going to work because of this. -M- would try and be all "BAWWW F-U MUTHA SUCKAS!" and come in swinging...and then we would have our hands full killing them over and over again and listening to Saginor and Fatgon calling us noobs while they were ghosts and dealing with their stupid tamers.

its goes on and on and in the end? I don't feel like putting forth the effort for an unappreciative shard.:loser:

R

RichDC

Heres an idea,

Public trammy harrowers where the trammies do both sides. They both defend (under supervision) and raid(under supervision).

The "supervising" guilds would have to wear a generic coloured robe to make them distinguishable and would be there to merely watch over them offer advice and destryo unwelcome PvP guilds influences.

I guarantee once you give people a tast of what PvP is on, in there minds, a level playing field(experience wise) they will be hooked.

M

mutau

I don't think it will work. There are already pvp guys who are in "trammy" guilds, already working with some of the freshmen there. You can find ZKV, O^S, even HHYC and others in fel, and its so weird.

But there are some pretty tough guys sporting trammy guild tags. There will soon be a very few trammy guilds that won't venture into fel.

So the idea of having trammy guilds in fel, is a late idea. They already are in fel and doing spawns and harrowers.

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heres an idea,

Public trammy harrowers where the trammies do both sides. They both defend (under supervision) and raid(under supervision).

The "supervising" guilds would have to wear a generic coloured robe to make them distinguishable and would be there to merely watch over them offer advice and destryo unwelcome PvP guilds influences.

I guarantee once you give people a tast of what PvP is on, in there minds, a level playing field(experience wise) they will be hooked.
You won't get that many people to follow suit.

G

Gellor

Here is a small part of the problem and for the most part, EA is helpless(or doesn't care enough) to do anything:

Helper utilities that are prevalent in the PvP scene. Enough people use them that those who don't are at a disadvantage. It is discouraging to those who don't use them especially when those "l33t" PvPers try the "I'm soo much better than you" smack talking:thumbdown:

The larger part of the issue is pure and simply: the p!ss poor attitude that a majority of PvPers exhibit(well over 50%). I always LOVE the six man gank squads that start talking mad trash when they kill a lone guy. Or the "PvP" tamers who think that a pet kill means a damn thing. Or the not returning dropped suits. Yeah... people really want to pay to come get insulted by some of the trashiest people around:thumbdown:

The steep learning curve for PvP doesn't help. Yup, people really have no interest in dying over and over and over without getting any hints on what they did wrong aside from "Go back to tram newb".

If any shards' Fel population wanted more fresh blood, how about trying some of the following:
- cut back on the trash talking
- "run" some PvP schools.
- do some RPvP type stuff similar to what Ooji and Danny did with FL back in the day.
- cut back on that super special sauce

Sadly, none of the above will ever happen so there will never be any fresh blood to PvP and more than likely there will continue to be more people disappearing from it.

I'm lucky that when I got into PvP there was the availability of RPvP guilds that allowed one to progress to a "zerg" PvP/PvM guild. And from "zerg" guild to mid grade PvP guilds. It allowed me to go from super trammie newb to solid meat shield:thumbsup:

I find almost no interest in yew gate PvP. Beyond taking my detector to there to screw around with most of the stealthers, worthless to the extreme with the house abuse, guardzone abuse, among other issues.

S

suprshadow

Here is a small part of the problem and for the most part, EA is helpless(or doesn't care enough) to do anything:

Helper utilities that are prevalent in the PvP scene. Enough people use them that those who don't are at a disadvantage. It is discouraging to those who don't use them especially when those "l33t" PvPers try the "I'm soo much better than you" smack talking:thumbdown:

The larger part of the issue is pure and simply: the p!ss poor attitude that a majority of PvPers exhibit(well over 50%). I always LOVE the six man gank squads that start talking mad trash when they kill a lone guy. Or the "PvP" tamers who think that a pet kill means a damn thing. Or the not returning dropped suits. Yeah... people really want to pay to come get insulted by some of the trashiest people around:thumbdown:

The steep learning curve for PvP doesn't help. Yup, people really have no interest in dying over and over and over without getting any hints on what they did wrong aside from "Go back to tram newb".

If any shards' Fel population wanted more fresh blood, how about trying some of the following:
- do some RPvP type stuff similar to what Ooji and Danny did with FL back in the day.

Sadly, none of the above will ever happen so there will never be any fresh blood to PvP and more than likely there will continue to be more people disappearing from it.

I'm lucky that when I got into PvP there was the availability of RPvP guilds that allowed one to progress to a "zerg" PvP/PvM guild. And from "zerg" guild to mid grade PvP guilds. It allowed me to go from super trammie newb to solid meat shield:thumbsup:

I find almost no interest in yew gate PvP. Beyond taking my detector to there to screw around with most of the stealthers, worthless to the extreme with the house abuse, guardzone abuse, among other issues.

I AGREE!:thumbup:

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As always Reeb, well said...

I would say if a MOD position SHOULD become available, YOU should try out... I'm just saying.

G

Gellor

I would say if a MOD position SHOULD become available, YOU should try out... I'm just saying.
If I took a mod position, you'd see the first mod getting infracted:thumbsup:

I don't have the patience for some of the stuff that goes on in this forum to even consider modding... especially related to PvP and "player stalking". Pot-kettle rule seems to apply to way to many of the posts.

B

Balian of Asgard

before I went into hibernation the last time, I ran a little thread welcoming people to try pvp, I said I would help them along with suits builds, temp builds and show them the ropes in fel, I recruited 3 guys in 4-7 days, 2 of them picked it up fast and continued to pvp after I went to hibernation and both are still pvping now, this was like 6-8 months ago...

So...this just goes to say, there are people out there that want to try pvp and if some pvp people offer a little friendship, patience and courtesy....

I think what Kaleb suggested could become a weekly event on Pac
SuprSalads Thunderdome coulda been a hit as well:pancakes:

S

SUPRsalad

I realized that those kinds of things take way too much time that I will most likely never have. Sure wish someone would do it tho. .

B

Balian of Asgard

I realized that those kinds of things take way too much time that I will most likely never have. Sure wish someone would do it tho. .
aww thats too bad, if you remember, it was your thunderdome hype that brought me out of hibernation bro......

I really wanted to fight for fame and glory yadaa yada yad