• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old uo vet returning.. need to know a few informationa bout crafting..

Rikimaru_Vegeta

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have about 10 barbed kits in my bank, what are the value of these nowadays? Is the bod system still worthwhile? I really don't have a need for armor anymore, I haven't been in UO since 2005, so what are some of the new changes to the crafting system? I have the highest skill on all the craft skills.. so let me know of anything neato I can do with them now.. just got back in today!! :) Very excited to be back in UO.. I am on the chessy server

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome back!

Due to duping, and the changes to the BOD system, Barbed kits are worth about 2 million each now.

I suggest reading through all the FAQs - I rebuilt all of them for the state of crafting summer 2008 (before I got them, some hadn't been updated since 2002!).

Here are some of the major highlights:

1. IF you have Mondain's Legacy-enabled account status, talismans can be used to boost crafting skills. These can be gotten as loot off ML creatures, or from quests in Heartwood (the city of the elves).
2. Similarly, though rare drops, carpentry runics and fletching runics come from the quests in Heartwood, as well as recipes for items with additional bonuses (if not artifact level - all new ones, not existing artifacts).
3. The BOD system had a couple major boosts.
a. About 3 1/2 years ago, it was made where if you turned in a filled BOD, you could immediately request a new one, instead of having to wait for however much time is left on the (usually 6-hour) BOD timer. This means you can fill a bunch of junk BODs, turn them in one at a time, and get a new BOD after each one you turn in.
b. A year ago, Smith BODs got changed a bit.
Before, it was 50% Iron Weapons, 25% Iron armor, and 25% colored armor (including famers). It still it is that way up to 109.9 skill.
At 110.0 to 119.9, it is now 50% Weapons, 15% Iron armor, 35% colored armor
At 120, it is 50% weapons, 5% Iron armor, 45% colored armor.
c. Combine A & B, and it's a LOT easier to get colored BODs and the higher hammers (still takes forever to get better than agapite though).
4. All Tailor & Smith runics had their minimum intensity raised, and can now produce 100% on items. This now makes even Spined runics viable, as you can make max luck 100% LRC suits with good resists with Spined runics (granted, a lot of them, but a lot cheaper than burning barbed kits for them).
5. Lastly, resources got randomized. The Ores (and the colored woods, added with ML) now have a chance to randomly change to a different type at each harvesting spot, on each reset. This has inconvenienced a lot of miners that used recall books, but for those of us who mined everything as we went along haven't beeen effected.
6. Also, you can get Dull copper from Iron-only spots with Gargoyle pickaxes now (no Dull copper elementals from them as yet, but those of us that actually dig HOPING for elementals are campaigning for them).