• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old player stumped on a few things

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright here we go...

#1, I was an old UO player up till and after T2A but since so much has changed since then and I never see UO for sale in stores, I am back on the trial membership for right now and it gave me a full client download of 2.29 gigs. What is included - or not included - in this client, I don't know. (It has the Kingdom Reborn logo as the login screen though if that helps.) My question is, do I need to install my T2A cd's again to access T2A areas? Also, perhaps a stupid question, how do Iget to the T2A areas such as Delucia for the first time on a new character? I've completely forgotten how I got there years ago, and of course I would just recall after I'd been there a few times.

#2 Where the heck do you buy houses? I check the real estate/carpenters in a few cities and the most they are ever selling is parchment and quills. Architects only sell interior designers and placement tools. As to where to get a house deed and then any add-on's for the house like looms, etc., I am clueless now.

#3 What do basic house prices run nowadays? As a recently returned player I am really finding it difficult to make any serious money because it seems like most established players are making their gold by totally highway robbing on their vendor prices. But if you don't have a house... you don't have vendors so....(sells tailored cloth and carpentered items to NPC for 6gp apiece... sigh) I'm hoping small houses don't cost like a million these days or something...

#4 I hear houses are customizeable nowadays but I haven't the faintest clue how I would go about that.

Thanks in advance.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there are no longer deeds to your home, the placement tool is what you need

find a clearing, click the tool, and it will give you the outline of a foundation, or if you prefer, a selection of the classic homes.... you can "test place" to see if your home will fit, and even if it does you have the option of cancelling the placement... you will see the prices, along with other information, on the gump

best thing to do, make a character on test (where you don't need to worry about money and/or losing stuff) and buy a tool and play around with it.... you can try out the customized housing, too

to cross over to Papua go to the mage shop at the north end of Moonglow island and speak the words "recsu" or "recdu", and you can get to Delucia by travelling thru the tunnel north of Minoc

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#2 Where the heck do you buy houses? I check the real estate/carpenters in a few cities and the most they are ever selling is parchment and quills. Architects only sell interior designers and placement tools. As to where to get a house deed and then any add-on's for the house like looms, etc., I am clueless now.

LOL you would believe how long this had me stumped when I first came back :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everything should be included in the client - what you can access, though, is based on your account's registration. Modern trial accounts come in two types - those that can access everything from Samurai Empire and older, and those that have access to that + Mondain's legacy. If you can create an elf character, you have Mondain's legacy.

If you choose to explore crafting more (you were interested in looms, etc.) check out the Craftsman forum here. There are guides to advancing in the various crafting skills, with the most detail given to blacksmithing & mining (if you can master those, the others come relatively easy)

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few more stumpers:

When I have an "effect" active, like magic reflection or Protection, how do I... dismiss it?

T

T_Amon_from_work

cast it again ... and this is for reactive armor too I think.

Listen to the tone when you cast it ... it tells you the effect (on or off).

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Couple more:

When "server is going down for 60 minutes for publish", how long is it usually down for?

(Is this a regular maintenance on Thursdays or is this some addendum to the recent patch?)

Does repairing leather/studded leather gear require a leatherworker, rather than a general armorer? Also, with "repair deeds", will these work on any type of gear?

Thanks again.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All leather armors (including Bone, leaf and hide) require tailors to make & repair.

Repair deeds are specific to their skill.

Tonight's publish is an emergency one - first one in quite a while. Normal daily maintenance for the North American shards is around 5 AM local time for the server location (note, for the US shards, that Lake Austin's server is with the other West shards in California, and Siege Perilous, Great Lakes & Lake Superior are in Virginia with the rest of the East ones). There's also a weekly 30-60 minute downtime for the login server at about 5 AM Tuesday Morning, Eastern US Time (if you're in-game, you aren't affected, but you can't log in on ANY shard while it's occuring, so don't log out). Oceania, the Asian shards, and the Euro shards have their own daily maintneance schedule, but they also use early AM local times for their downtime (the information can be found on the uo.com web page, with a little looking).

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the thorough answer, Basara.

Got one more...

Does anyone know how to access item insurance in the 2d client? Can you? The stuff I insured while in KR is still insured, but I don't know how to access it now that I'm playing in the 2d client.

R

RichDC

To insure items, single click on your player and you should get a drop down menu. There should be an option for insure items if you click this it will give you a targeting cursor...then simply click away. To remove insurance you do the same thing but click and insured item it will un insure.

Also there is an option in the drop down menu for auto-renew insurance make sure this is clicked(a res kil and you would lose all your gear otherwise!!)