• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old Nightmare?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a tame Nightmare that I tamed probably in 1999 maybe 2000. I was away from the game for several years and missed alot of the changes to taming and pets. I understand that this "type" of Nightmare may no longer be available. Is this true?

I have also noticed that when Loring said Nightmare all resistances are listed as a numeric value except for Physical. Physical resist simply denotes: --. What if anything does that mean?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....I understand that this "type" of Nightmare may no longer be available. Is this true?
What "type" of Nightmare are you talking about, ie. what is different about yours? How about a pic of both the mare and the lore window?
;)

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a vague recollection that there's an old type of nightmare that eats fruits and veggies instead of meat. Not sure what other differences there are. There used to also be a couple different shades of black, but updates to client graphics seem to have negated this difference over the years (which bummed me out, because I had one of the pure black ones).

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
At some point many many years ago (maybe 2002-2003) there was a publish that changed something with regard to pets that screwed up pets on inactive accounts, and set their phys resist to 0. It may have been the AoS publish which introduced the new resist format to the game. Unfortunately, a pet with 0 resist might be a collector's item, but it is also pretty useless.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a vague recollection that there's an old type of nightmare that eats fruits and veggies instead of meat. Not sure what other differences there are. There used to also be a couple different shades of black, but updates to client graphics seem to have negated this difference over the years (which bummed me out, because I had one of the pure black ones).
the pure black ones still look very different from the others, at least on CC, the others have a more "silvery" color

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In the classic client you can still see the three different kinds of nightmares, hopefully they will fix this in the EC someday so that we can tell them apart, as well as the different colours of dragons and white wyrms (although the different colours of dragons in the EC actually do have different head graphics beside their health bars that I assume corresponds to colour). The three different kinds of nightmares are pure blacks, shortmanes and longmanes. The pure blacks are more popular because they are, well black, and also because in the CC you can't tell them apart from dread warhorses if you don't lore them. However, none of them are more rare than any other, they each have a 1 in 3 chance of spawning.

Miss Sorro

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually its 4 types of mares..

Just like the horses, dark brown, light brown long maned and short, and the grey horse.
So 2 types with long manes and 2 with short. Same goes for mares.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At some point many many years ago (maybe 2002-2003) there was a publish that changed something with regard to pets that screwed up pets on inactive accounts, and set their phys resist to 0. It may have been the AoS publish which introduced the new resist format to the game. Unfortunately, a pet with 0 resist might be a collector's item, but it is also pretty useless.
I have a hell hound pack leader with wiggy stats like that. 100 physical damage and 0 resists. Its a cool color anyway.