• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Observations of a first-time run

K

Kiminality

These are just a few things I've noticed on running it for the first time. I'm not sure how much of it has been addressed/noted or what have you.
Thus far, I'm more optimistic than I was with KR, although it's obviously not perfect, down to beta/aesthetic differences.

1.) When changing the resolution of the window, UI placement goes a bit topsy-turvy. I think the positions and sizes are stored in relation to the screen size, and some of the UI elements are non-resizeable, so some gaps and overlaps occur.
2.) when changing screen resolution, the "speech" chat window I'd created ended up with its speech hanging off the left-side of the window. I think this occurred after changing it from a 16:10 to a 4:3 resolution (well, 5:4, really).
3.) Chat windows hide themselves, which I'm sure has been addressed/noted.
4.) Things like "You have hidden yourself well" are classed as speech, which isn't an SA thing, per se, but I'd rather my speech window not show things like this.
5.) Tooltips (on mouseover) that would show offscreen, do in fact show offscreen, Which is inspiringly rebelious of them, but makes it a mite difficult to read them. (additonal: This occurs for the menu-y button bar thing, not hotbars)
6.) Lots of stutter-y loading while moving around, with HD grinding.
7.) No option to lock UI elements, so they can't be accidentally moved, like chat windows and hotbars.
8.) A lot of mobs look like they're under a spotlight. Like pigs and lizardmen, when in daylight, while others like ogres and bears don't.
9.) Using a conflag potion creates a cacophony of sound. Seems like it's playing the "Whaahhh" sound for each patch of fire. So 16-ish times, which is a lot.
10.) Turning on/off Vsync moves window back to primary display, on dual monitor systems. Looks better to me on CRT, and without taskbar cramping its style.
11.) Oh, and it does that when you put it full screen, too. Although I'm guessing 10 & 11 are unavoidable (aside from media players, I don't think I can name a single thing that full-screens on a second monitor), and I should be glad it's playable on second monitor, tbh :p
12.) No "previous" button on tips.
13.) If you have a small play area, then the distance the mouse has to be to run is smaller, to a point where it's almost impossible to stealth.
14.) Relating to 13, can we has "Always walk"?
15.) Going from Zento to Umbra, the Zento music kept playing. War mode brought up the appropriate music, going back to peace resumes the Zento music. (additional: It seems to happen for every piece of music. Has it always been like that, or is it an SA bug?)
16.) If you mouse over yourself, and you get your tooltip, then you can't right-click to move, you have to move off yourself.
17.) Sometimes when bringing up context menu on other players, or an ex-tame Cu Sidhe, it contains 4 (the times I've had it) "MISSING STRING" entries
18.) The atlas appears as an alternative to the radar map, and closing it leaves you with neither. Most often, the equivalent to the atlas (world map) is independant of the radar/mini map.
19.) When moving, if you release the right mouse button over a hot bar, it keeps following the cursor (as with the left-click while holding the right mouse button).
20.) The effect on the Malas void (the sea equivalent) is... It looks like a migraine...

I think that's it for now.
This is altogether more points than I intended, but overall it's an improvement on KR, and in many respects 2D (although that's just personal opinion).

Oh! There's a couple more, speaking as a Stratics reporter:
21.) Journal logging? Aye or Nay?
22.) Can we get an option for displaying Mythic staff (such as GMs/EMs) in a seperate tab/window, so it's easier to follow what they're saying?
23.) Like 22, but being able to target people to show text from, so you can follow what certain people are saying, like having a conversation at a bank, or other high-text areas?
24.) If there isn't, an AllNames thingy. And in the opposite direction, a way to purge all overhead text/names/both.

And back as a "normal" player.

25.) Did I go blind, or has the friends list done a runner? Um, that, and options to display when guild members come on/offline?
26.) Grey buttons, to me, imply "unable to be clicked". At least to my memory, the "you are idle" alert thing has a grey button.

I'm done, or I'll be here all day, and I need sandvich.

C

Cloak&Dagger

13.) If you have a small play area, then the distance the mouse has to be to run is smaller, to a point where it's almost impossible to stealth.
14.) Relating to 13, can we has "Always walk"?
18.) The atlas appears as an alternative to the radar map, and closing it leaves you with neither. Most often, the equivalent to the atlas (world map) is independant of the radar/mini map.
19.) When moving, if you release the right mouse button over a hot bar, it keeps following the cursor (as with the left-click while holding the right mouse button).
13.) This should be fixable by zooming, if not then obviously needs addressing.

18.) The atlas has a green button on it that turns it back into the mini map, same way you turned the mini map into the atlas.

19.) This happens in 2d as well, sort of. If you are running and alt+tab or some how leave the game area your char will continue to follow the cursor everywhere. Not saying it is right...Just saying it has always worked like that heh

As for the friends list, I know that has been "addressed" but in public it has only been addressed by the players, yes it was removed. It did not "work" so they took it out.

K

Kiminality

13.) This should be fixable by zooming, if not then obviously needs addressing.
Well, in fairness, I noticed it when I attempted to span the window across both screens (not really a resounding success), tried resizing the play area to one screen, then dropped it back on one monitor. So the play area was a little... About as wide as this reply text box :p

18.) The atlas has a green button on it that turns it back into the mini map, same way you turned the mini map into the atlas.
I saw the little green button, but I only considered it after closing all my maps, because the world map doesn't usually come at the expense of the minimap in modern MMOs.
But, yeah. It's not broken, so much as different.
Edit: I guess it is sort of broken, actually. Just not something radically new, just different, I should have said

19.) This happens in 2d as well, sort of. If you are running and alt+tab or some how leave the game area your char will continue to follow the cursor everywhere. Not saying it is right...Just saying it has always worked like that heh
Alt-tabbing doesn't do that in SA. Although it does stick me in combat mode, making the cat jump with the sudden music :D

As for the friends list, I know that has been "addressed" but in public it has only been addressed by the players, yes it was removed. It did not "work" so they took it out.
That's one of the features I've liked about modern MMOs. The ability to track friends, without requiring a third party program.
Hope they re-implement it :(

C

Cloak&Dagger

Yea the friend thing is sort of a big thing to me too...I am not sure why they buckled on the idea anyhow, From what I can gather "it does not work for 2d players" which...If we are basing everything on the 2d client, why are we even adding a new ui? >.>

As for the alt+tabbing I just mean it would seem that getting stuck "following the cursor" is some sort of left over code from the 2d client, basically it does it in the 2d client if you alt+tab where as in the SA client it does it if you mouse over any part of the UI and release the right mouse button.

G

guum

15.) Going from Zento to Umbra, the Zento music kept playing. War mode brought up the appropriate music, going back to peace resumes the Zento music. (additional: It seems to happen for every piece of music. Has it always been like that, or is it an SA bug?)
It's like this in legacy too, believe it or not. I agree that it's a little weird though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With me, it's usually Buc's Den and Britain's music that gets stuck in 2D...

K

Kiminality

There's more!
*Laughs maniacally*
Second time run, I logged in to do a bit of RP...
27.) In situations with a lot of speach going on, it is difficult to follow. The overhead text was generally lacking in distinction, so it could be difficult to read against the environment, and the colours appeared washed out, making disinguishing who was saying what by colour (text location was a little funky at times, with sitting and such) was pretty hard.
28.) When walking with other people, their movements seemed juddery, almost constantly doing a sort of micro-rubberbanding. I have a sense that ther were majoratively using the legacy client.
29.) Facing in a different direction without moving. I recall there was supposed to be a shortcut to do this, but I couldn't remember it and couldn't figure it out, and movement is on, like, a hair trigger.
30.) Fairly often, people appeared naked, even when they weren't wearing a plain dress.
31.) My character profile was destroyed :<
32.) I think it's when you're in a party, and someone joins/parts, if you're typing something in the non-legacy chat thingy, the focus is lost, and you start bringing up the paperdoll and things.
33.) Changing the font in the chat windows doesn't change the font in the input box (terribly minor, but still).
34.) If you seperate out your chat tabs into seperate elements, you still lock all or none of them.
35.) The main chat tab doesn't seem to like being renamed, and keeping the new name (system).

That's all that comes to mind so far.
Though the client shows promise, it was really difficult to RP using it.
It may be quite shiney for PvP/M, but RP doesn't really work in it.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Well, I can not think of anything for most of what you typed but I have something for 2 of the items.

28.) If SA is anything like KR then it syncs with the server much more smoothly, and this will allow you to see the slight imperfections from the 2d players. If it is other SA or KR players doing this, then I do not have an answer. haha

29.) I remember in KR there was an instant switch but I think it is missing in SA but I have not checked. It should be just the Left control key. But I don't think it works with the Legacy keybindings so you might have to change to the MMO and see if it works there.

K

Kiminality

To be honest, the collected issues in my last list mean I'm almost given up trying to RP in it. Unfortunately RP is about all I do in UO.

I'm not given up on it. I can see myself using it, maybe, if I do something other than RP. But RP turns out more stressful than fun, much of the time.

O

Old Man of UO

Cloak‡1319746 said:
... 29.) I remember in KR there was an instant switch but I think it is missing in SA but I have not checked. It should be just the Left control key. But I don't think it works with the Legacy keybindings so you might have to change to the MMO and see if it works there.
THIS was removed because I (like many many others) used the CTRL key to bind macros, and was bound to the Object Handles, so you could not use this key and continue to run... it stopped you cold. I was hard coded and could not be changed via key bindings.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"29.) Facing in a different direction without moving. I recall there was supposed to be a shortcut to do this, but I couldn't remember it and couldn't figure it out, and movement is on, like, a hair trigger."

whenever in a situation that required precise movements, in 2D, I would just turn off the numlock and use the number pad.... it doesn't work in SA

O

Old Man of UO

"29.) Facing in a different direction without moving. I recall there was supposed to be a shortcut to do this, but I couldn't remember it and couldn't figure it out, and movement is on, like, a hair trigger."

whenever in a situation that required precise movements, in 2D, I would just turn off the numlock and use the number pad.... it doesn't work in SA
Try using the CTRL-Arrow keys, and then it works perfectly in SA. I like this feature!

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
15 isn't really a bug.. rather, its because there are no music cues in Malas or Ilsh aside from ones caused by game defined regions (that is, stuff like tavern or inn music). Has happened in every client. If you want it fixed, start hounding them to add music to those facets like I always do. :p

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Try using the CTRL-Arrow keys, and then it works perfectly in SA. I like this feature!
kay, that makes two keyboard commands I've learned here on Stratics (the other was ctrl+R refreshes the game screen)...... are there more? and shouldn't that information be listed somewhere so that people (ME!) aren't getting frustrated searching for this stuff? things like this may be intuitive for people that play other games, but I don't play any others and I expect things will work somewhat as they did before

gonna drag out my original UO Manual and flip thru it, just for nostalgia ;)

O

Old Man of UO

kay, that makes two keyboard commands I've learned here on Stratics (the other was ctrl+R refreshes the game screen)...... are there more? and shouldn't that information be listed somewhere so that people (ME!) aren't getting frustrated searching for this stuff? things like this may be intuitive for people that play other games, but I don't play any others and I expect things will work somewhat as they did before

gonna drag out my original UO Manual and flip thru it, just for nostalgia ;)
Actually, I started compiling a list to post in Petra's sticky for Hints and tips. Some of these come from playing KR. So, if there are more that aren't obvious let's add them!

C

Cloak&Dagger

THIS was removed because I (like many many others) used the CTRL key to bind macros, and was bound to the Object Handles, so you could not use this key and continue to run... it stopped you cold. I was hard coded and could not be changed via key bindings.
Yea I knew why they changed it, I just was not sure if they removed it completely or if only under the legacy bindings. Memory is not the best sometimes (even tho I am young lol) So sometimes people just have to bear with me on my half an answer and half a guess. :p