• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

O/T RL meet up?

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have spoken with several persons that have said they would be interested in a R/L meet up. I am proposing that sometime in June/July (well work on exact dates later) that we meet up at Six Flags over Georgia. What do you guys think?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I dunno, Black Sun is kinda.. well.. creepy :eyes:

Besides I'm in Colorado so its a no go for me. But would be fun if you could pull it off. post pics!

E

Eithne

Wish I could make it as well but I am in Minnesota and I am still in school, so that would be a no go for me.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wish I could make it as well but I am in Minnesota and I am still in school, so that would be a no go for me.

Oh no!:( Perhaps we can also plan one for upstate one day... I know that in August, I am going to be in the Chicago area for about a week because thats when I walk across the stage.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I dunno, Black Sun is kinda.. well.. creepy :eyes:

Besides I'm in Colorado so its a no go for me. But would be fun if you could pull it off. post pics!

Awww Giggles, well we can always have more and in other areas. It would be fun meeting everyone. And as for Black Sun being creepy.... hahaha.:)

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over the years I've met plenty of players and have never had anything short of a Hoot!

I've even had a couple of holla's!

:thumbup:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be interested in attending, but just this morning I bought my plane tickets and finished getting everything in line for my vacation this year. So, unless my boss decides to give me a second week off without pay, I won't be able to attend.

Also, I'm not that creepy. People only say I am because hypertrichosis is such a rare condition.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the link.... (slowly leaves thread.....)

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a rule I never meet up in real life with folks I meet in a game.
This is my sentiment too I rarely post pictures in forums in fact I've only ever posted on and that was in a guild forum of a guild not on catskills.

My reasoning is a bit more logical though, I'm sort of insane and everyone on catskills makes me look mild and dull, I don't want to see those kinds of people.

Plus I heard BS knits bathrobes out of his face hair and gives them to people as gifts when he first meets them.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I met my wife indirectly through someone I met through the game. Now that is a long and complex story involving a cast of thousands and several different countries.

But either...
I see your point ~or~
I disagree completely.

Scarst - Some of the craziest in-game personalities are the most levelheaded in real life, and vice-versa. But from a one day get-together, the worst most people get are good stories.

Giggles - My wife and I both grew up in Colorado! I loved it there. My wife... not so much (for good reason which has nothing to do with the state herself).

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Giggles - My wife and I both grew up in Colorado! I loved it there. My wife... not so much (for good reason which has nothing to do with the state herself).
Ah that's cool. Its pretty rare to find Colorado natives on Catskills. I know of two others and that's it. Yes I love Colorado. I get to wear sandals and a jacket year round and then I'm prepared for the four seasons of four seasons lol.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live in indiana :( On a side note.. I have met 2 people from UO.

One was someone I went to highschool with and hadn't seen in like 4 years. We were neighbors in game and had no idea we knew eachother irl. We exchanged icq's, realized that we knew eachother, and have been best friends for years now. We were even roommates for about 2 years.

The other was a fellow idoc hunter whom I would see daily, I found out he lived about 5 miles from me and we met up. He and my father (whom used to play as well) are very close friends now.

All in all, I say that meeting people with the same pixel addictions as you can bring some great real life friendships.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I also have an issue with traveling, I'm cheap and at $3.50 a gallon I'm not driving haha.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You Yanks are so cheap.
$3.50 a gallon... NOTHING! I'd love to have fuel so cheap.

Here it's $9 per gallon (no exaggeration, no joke, €1.60 per liter * 4 liters/gallon * 1.40 dollars per euro)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
You Yanks are so cheap.
$3.50 a gallon... NOTHING! I'd love to have fuel so cheap.

Here it's $9 per gallon (no exaggeration, no joke, €1.60 per liter * 4 liters/gallon * 1.40 dollars per euro)
Wow.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I met my wife indirectly through someone I met through the game. Now that is a long and complex story involving a cast of thousands and several different countries.

But either...
I see your point ~or~
I disagree completely.

Scarst - Some of the craziest in-game personalities are the most levelheaded in real life, and vice-versa. But from a one day get-together, the worst most people get are good stories.
Too far for us to travel this year also, however like Farsight, I too met my spouse in UO, in fact in the same player run town I met Farsight...

My bestest friend I met in UO also... Made my first visit to the US to meet her IRL.

And my husbands cousin...

I am noticing a trend, all my favourite people IRL I met in UO!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure your bestest is the same as my indirectly.

And that VoV was just a hotbed for real life activities.

CharlieTib

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Scarst and Aedon, rl meet-ups are not a good idea. Many including you Calli know what problems it caused, but then again...it might have only been the one I went to meet that made it so horrible.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Charlie, I did not say they were a bad thing, just that as a rule I do not do so.

Like Phaen said, she has had great luck meeting folks form game. I know several that met and fell in love with an online friend, later marrying happily.

I am, believe it or not extremely shy. I suppose that is one of the reasons I write and RP. Within these two I can be who I want to be. Bold and fearless, or kind and loving. In social settings I am more often then not alone in a corner reading a book.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I agree with Scarst and Aedon, rl meet-ups are not a good idea. Many including you Calli know what problems it caused, but then again...it might have only been the one I went to meet that made it so horrible.

Charlie,

I understand your feelings because yes, I know what problems it caused. However, my thinking was to get several UO'ers out and about to have a good time together. I have personally met up with Thom twice now, Mareak and Dew being at the first one. It all proved to be a good time both times although the drive sucked....
Calli

CharlieTib

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True Aedon, I did see Phaen's post. I know there are good meet-ups, and I have heard of love blossoming. I guess with my own personal experience I have become really strong against it.
Before I had always wanted to set up rl meetings, but it only takes one to permanently scar. I have lost alot r/l and r/p because of my meeting. *hugs Aedon* thank you for being there for me through that.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True Aedon, I did see Phaen's post. I know there are good meet-ups, and I have heard of love blossoming. I guess with my own personal experience I have become really strong against it.
Before I had always wanted to set up rl meetings, but it only takes one to permanently scar. I have lost alot r/l and r/p because of my meeting. *hugs Aedon* thank you for being there for me through that.
*smiles* That is what friends do Charlie. Even virtual ones.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles* it comes down to an individuals experience and comfort zone. I totally understand where Aedon is coming from, but that won't stop me from driving up and taking him and his lovely wife out to dinner when I win the lottery!

It can be very rewarding or incredibly horrible; just like any other social situation. I love people and look for any chance I can to meet up with those I share time with online.

CharlieTib

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be careful Aedon, Phaen's going to kidnap you!!!!

When you win the lottery? That must be some dinner, are you going around the world buying dinner in France, then Italy, and continuing through Europe. j/k ;)

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles* it comes down to an individuals experience and comfort zone. I totally understand where Aedon is coming from, but that won't stop me from driving up and taking him and his lovely wife out to dinner when I win the lottery!

It can be very rewarding or incredibly horrible; just like any other social situation. I love people and look for any chance I can to meet up with those I share time with online.
*smiles*

I think you and your hubby would be two of the few I would make the exception for.

I do have me a small list of folks I would love to meet. I am just not that social a person.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be careful Aedon, Phaen's going to kidnap you!!!!

When you win the lottery? That must be some dinner, are you going around the world buying dinner in France, then Italy, and continuing through Europe. j/k ;)
She would not keep me long. I am too off the wall for anyone to hang onto.

E

Elisa Catskills

I met my wife at a UO meet up :heart:

I'm assuming this will also be a key party?

V

Veese Catskills

Can anyone attend this meet up? My wife and I would love to dress up like our UO characters and come! I think my RL ranger's cloak of augmentation can withstand the rollercoasters!

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I sure hope so. :) Perhaps we can come up with a date and others can give a more def, yes or no.