• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NRL is on its knees. (OT)

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeh, its a pity all those teams were to crap (apparently) to make the final, only to be replaced by another two teams who (in your words) produced possibly the worst final ever...

l
Hence your comparing your positive outlier to our negative outlier... and it only just won.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow, way to completely ignore my post and change the subject yet again...

Please provide references for you quotes so I can reply to them.

and Nauru eh... I LOLED

I had to laugh when I looked up the Nauru wikipedia page. THE ENTIRE ISLAND'S POPULATION IS LESS THAN 10k. Its almost not worth mentioning compared to the populations of countries that play league. Ok its a country that claims AFL as its sport, we'll let you have it, if you really need to :D

Thanks for the laugh tho Pet hehe

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow, way to completely ignore my post and change the subject yet again...

Please provide references for you quotes so I can reply to them.

and Nauru eh... I LOLED

I had to laugh when I looked up the Nauru wikipedia page. THE ENTIRE ISLAND'S POPULATION IS LESS THAN 10k. Its almost not worth mentioning compared to the populations of countries that play league. Ok its a country that claims AFL as its sport, we'll let you have it, if you really need to :D

Thanks for the laugh tho Pet hehe
Wikipedia is where I pulled those quotes from.

Oh and as for you laughing at Narau... Aren't the island nations meant to be where rugby is popular? You laughing at Narau is quite ironic, since you mention Samao and Tonga as playing rugby at a professional level, which are both low population Island nations.

I could have easily pulled the "low population card" on the countries you mentioned, I didn't because I'm not a **** head when it comes to facts and statics respect that fact that rugby is played professionally in lots of Island countries. However when I mention an Island country you were extremely quick in shooting it down. You are thicker than a brick wall when it comes to statistics.

Also may I add the point - the AFL not being played internationally (despite the GAA being very interested in joining the AFL) is quite a huge benefit as it allows Australia to keep all of the superstars and not have problems such as the one which happened with SBW, I would much prefer to have all of the best players in the world playing in one competition against each other (for any sport) than a lot of smaller competitions in countries with stars spread all over... wouldn't you?

Imagine if all of the best soccer players played in just one league (not like Champions league, where the best teams not players compete against each other) of 16 teams - I would watch that just as much as I watch AFL.

Heres a point for you: The NFL in America is clearly the number one sport there (due to attendances), Basketball is probably the 3rd or 2nd sport in America (much like NRL to Australia) however it is played much more globally and some basketball players get payed a truckload more than NFL players.

Does this mean that Basketball is better than NFL in America?

Hell no.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and as for you laughing at Narau...
I'm not laughing at Narau, I'm laughing at you using Narau because 10k people is extremely insignificant.

Aren't the island nations meant to be where rugby is popular? You laughing at Narau is quite ironic, since you mention Samao and Tonga as playing rugby at a professional level, which are both low population Island nations.
Very true Pet! However, Tonga has a pop. of 112k and Samoa is 214k both much > Narau's 10k.

I could have easily pulled the "low population card" on the countries you mentioned, I didn't because I'm not a **** head when it comes to facts and statics respect that fact that rugby is played professionally in lots of Island countries. However when I mention an Island country you were extremely quick in shooting it down. You are thicker than a brick wall when it comes to statistics.
No I didn't I said "Ok its a country that claims AFL as its sport, we'll let you have it, if you really need to" thus conceding that Narau's sport is AFL. Your thicker than a brick wall when it comes to reading.

Also may I add the point - the AFL not being played internationally (despite the GAA being very interested in joining the AFL) is quite a huge benefit as it allows Australia to keep all of the superstars and not have problems such as the one which happened with SBW, I would much prefer to have all of the best players in the world playing in one competition against each other (for any sport) than a lot of smaller competitions in countries with stars spread all over... wouldn't you?
Nope. Why? The passion of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v01lWesEN58

Heres a point for you: The NFL in America is clearly the number one sport there (due to attendances), Basketball is probably the 3rd or 2nd sport in America (much like NRL to Australia) however it is played much more globally and some basketball players get payed a truckload more than NFL players.

Does this mean that Basketball is better than NFL in America?

Hell no.
Thats completely subjective.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The most prestigious and only national competition in Australia is the Australian Football League (AFL), which culminates in the annual AFL Grand Final, the highest attended club championship event in the world
Well, first off AFL is not a national comp. No team in NT/TAS and more importantly the ACT (which is a league/union strong hold). Believe me when I say that almost nobody here in Canberra gives a flying ------ about AFL. Here you either support the MIGHTY Green Machine, or the Brumbies.

...and we have been through this issue of grand final crowds before, in the first thread? or was it the second? Anyway the jist of it was that when the NRL had a bigger stadium back in 1999 (while ANZ Stadium was Stadium Australia and had an extra 40k seats for Olympics)...

The 1999 NRL Grand Final brought about a new official world record attendance for a game of rugby league. 107,999 spectators saw the Melbourne Storm play the newly-merged St. George Illawarra Dragons in the decider at Stadium Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_League#1998-2002:_Rationalisation
That is a massive crowd considering that the St. George Illawarra Dragons were a newly merged club (from the St. George Dragons and Illawarra Steelers), and Melbourne had only entered the comp 1 year earlier, back then they really did not have hardly any fans at all (which changed after their success no doubt). Just think if it were a grand final between two Sydney teams, or a State of Origin match, we could fill May Day Stadium if only it were a little closer to home...

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See now your just plain lying.

Well, first off AFL is not a national comp. No team in NT/TAS and more importantly the ACT (which is a league/union strong hold). Believe me when I say that almost nobody here in Canberra gives a flying ------ about AFL. Here you either support the MIGHTY Green Machine, or the Brumbies.
You cannot sufficiently have a team in NT/ACT/TAS due to stadium size and population... However it is a NATIONAL game as it plays games in ALL states and territories, EVERY year.

Carlton v Collingwood - 121,696
MCG, September 26, 1970 (Grand Final)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League#VFL.2FAFL_records
The MCG fills out completely every year for the AFL... which is 95k+ crowds.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See now your just plain lying.
How so? If you cannot appreciate International competition then thats not my problem. One of the best games of league I have ever been to without doubt (in terms of the intensity of the contest and skill displayed) was the 2006 Tri-Nations final between Australia vs NZ at the SFS, it was an absolute cracker of a game with a spectacular finish. You can watch the entire game free from Google video here.

You cannot sufficiently have a team in NT/ACT/TAS due to stadium size and population...
Both the NRL and ARU manage to have teams in Canberra, this is no excuse (in the ACT's case anyway). TAS could support a team with its population also (about 150k more people in TAS than in ACT), no doubt there.

However it is a NATIONAL game as it plays games in ALL states and territories, EVERY year.
So is rugby league, for example...

Western Australia recently launched into an exciting new era for the game of Rugby League as we assembled our team and management structure for entry into the Sydney based Jim Beam Cup in 2008 as we drive to re-establish an NRL franchise back into WA.

Join our team as we bring Rugby League back as a major sport in Perth and Western Australia and stay with us on the exciting journey back to the NRL.

Home games will all be played at Members Equity Stadium where we have formed a strong partnership with the stadium management who are very supportive of the venture and whose continual involvement will be welcomed at a strategic level.

We have recruited strongly and will front with a formidable team for our first game in Sydney against the Chester Hill team on March 29 and it is our goal to make the finals in our first year.

The Jim Beam Cup is a 14 team, 22 round home and away competition so 11 games are scheduled to be played at home.
http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/sponsormem/
Before (probably 2011/12) or during the year 2013, I bet you there will be a team located in Adelaide and one in Perth again, probably at the expense (or relocation) of two Sydney teams. The plans are already under way for it, now all that has to be done is the hardest part, picking which two teams that will be kicked/moved (a very hard thing for supporters of which ever clubs are chosen to deal with, but it has to happen, should of happened in 1998). History shows that there is support for NRL (or Super League/ARL clubs as it was back then) teams in both cities, so long as the teams are competitive (which is why they were both eventually kicked first time round, poor playing performances).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Rams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Reds

The MCG fills out completely every year for the AFL... which is 95k+ crowds.
Thats because its the MCG and can hold that many people. Like I said, give rugby league a bigger stadium and we will fill it, history (1999) proves this.

Just on this, can you imagine attending a game of any sport at the aforementioned May Day Stadium, it would be insane! 150k seats! Just look at it...

...if only North Korea played Rugby League! They play soccer there though, which would be awesome to see too, especially if the crowd was fired up. They even have the record for most people attending a wrestling event, 190k...

The largest crowd to attend a professional wrestling card (190,000 on April 29, 1995) was present at May Day stadium; the card was promoted by Japan-based New Japan Pro Wrestling circuit and also included Western wrestlers from the American World Championship Wrestling promotion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day_Stadium

E

Elwood

I played a game of league in Tasmania once, rained the whole time...

I thought that soccer stadium in Brazil, I think it is, has the largest capacity in the world at 200k seating? Thought I read that somewhere, don't quote me on it though...

K

Katlene

IMHO All major sport is going to the dogs.
It used to be just about the sport and some real talented people playing it.
Now its all violence, drugs and the occasional sex scandal.
Also, all crowd numbers are dwindling, prices go up attendance goes down.

:sleep2:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're an idiot. NRL games played in NT/Tas = 0.

NRL is not a national competition/code.
Pet, I was talking bout Rugby League, the NRL is just one small part of RL.

AFL is not national either, I can think of plenty of places that don't have a team that could support one with their populations; Newcastle, Canberra, Gold Coast, Central Coast, Tassie, etc...

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

AFL is not national either, I can think of plenty of places that don't have a team that could support one with their populations; Newcastle, Canberra, Gold Coast, Central Coast, Tassie, etc...
FTW! :D

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeh, Newcastle is actually a big one, since the Greater Newcastle area is the 7th largest city area in Australia with over 500k pop. The Knights are very popular up there, they actually my 2nd favorite team, but thats only when they are not 'in the way' of the Raiders :p
All i have to say is pfft. but i agree they are my 2nd favourite team, to the dragons :D

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Small part? You're really, really reaching.

The AFL is a national competition due to the fact that it features a team in all major states and plays matches in all states and territories. The NRL is not and you're an absolute fool if you suggest otherwise

they actually my 2nd favorite team,

You have 2nd favourites? ****ing weak. No true supporter of any sport has 2nd favourites. They have people they hate more than others.

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why do you guys even bother arguing with Pet, i initially thought this post would contain something intersting, but when he makes stupid comments and claims about things he has totally no idea about, i gave up.

he's just a sh1t talker....

oh yeah, AFL requires more skill than Rugby....LOLOLOL @ u pet....
i gave up on this post after he made that claim!....
Whats harder throwing a ball 10 meters or kicking one 50?

Whats harder, running head on into someone constantly... or being hit from all directions constantly?

Whats harder, running over a line and putting the ball on the ground or kicking a goal from 1000's of different angles and positions?

Whats harder, sidestepping someone who is running at you and running 4k a match or running 17kms a match whilst sidestepping?

Whats harder, kicking a ball that is stationary on the ground with unlimited time and nobody allowed to touch the ball mid-flight, or taking a set shot with a maximum of 30 seconds and several 100 options and people blocking your view/on the line to get the ball if you didn't kick it far enough?

I've honestly run out of NRL skills to compare to AFL's almost never ending list.

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I'll add something here, Sneaky you use NRL's logie as proof that the NRL's footy show is good?

So then I take it you rate 15 year old girls who read **** magazines opinions on sports shows highly then.

M

Mijac_Chmon

Accurately? Throwing a ball 30 metres is harder than kicking it 50, without a doubt.

Whats harder, running head on into someone constantly... or being hit from all directions constantly?
a) It's not a real 'hit' in AFL, more like a fairy tap.

b) Therefore, running into someone constantly wins hands down.

Whats harder, running over a line and putting the ball on the ground or kicking a goal from 1000's of different angles and positions?
a) If the AFL field was square, there would only be 180 degress, so 1000s of angles in not a possibility.

b) Putting the ball cleanly over the line with up to 400kg of flesh trying to stop you is much harder than kicking.

Whats harder, sidestepping someone who is running at you and running 4k a match or running 17kms a match whilst sidestepping?
a) AFL players don't sidestep. Watch Benji Marshall - that's a sidestep.

b) Running 4k a match, on top of doing 20-30, maybe even 40-50 tackles (real tackles, Pet, not girly AFL shirt grabs) is much harder.

Whats harder, kicking a ball that is stationary on the ground with unlimited time and nobody allowed to touch the ball mid-flight, or taking a set shot with a maximum of 30 seconds and several 100 options and people blocking your view/on the line to get the ball if you didn't kick it far enough?
a) Several hundred options? Aren't there only like 20-odd people on a team? Does each player in your team offer 10-15 options each, do they? I think not

b) There's not unlimited time for goalkicks.

c) A league ball is designed for passing, an AFL ball for kicking. So, kicking a goal from the sideline is much harder than kicking a goal in AFL. Much harder.

I've honestly run out of NRL skills to compare to AFL's almost never ending list.
Funny thing is, apart from shirt grabbing, you haven't even found one AFL skill yet. Also, you've deliberately underestimated NRL skills. Maybe not, actually. Maybe you don't have what it takes to appreciate NRL skills...

M

Mijac_Chmon

Oh I'll add something here, Sneaky you use NRL's logie as proof that the NRL's footy show is good?

So then I take it you rate 15 year old girls who read **** magazines opinions on sports shows highly then.
This, comment, however, needs to be given the credit it deserves. Well done with this one.

E

Elwood

Ok, so we know your answer to all of these Pet but my question is this: Are these just your observations or are your answers based on any sort of experience??

Oh, and NRL Footy Show > ALF Footy Show for one reason - Yours has Sam Newman on it...

S

snakesfury

Haha I remember arguing this to no end with you same NRL desperados many a day ago.
Time has proven me right as your excuse for a 'code' continues to shrivel into nothingness the AFL is growing bigger and stronger every year.

Each year we get record attendances.
Better ratings.
More money coming into the game.

While the exact opposite is happening for you!
I'm sorry but let's face it the guy who runs the whole NRL WISHES he was in the position the AFL was at the moment.

It's not even really a debate anymore.
My best mate at work is a kiwi who loves NRL with a passion equal to yours but at least admits it's on it's way to extinction if it keeps going this way.

I actually felt sorry for your game when I heard about Sonny Bill.
I respect how hard you argue your case but there just aren't enough people out there with the same passion as you and that's the end of the story.

Bad sport for bad blokes.

E

Elwood

IMHO All major sport is going to the dogs.
It used to be just about the sport and some real talented people playing it.
Now its all violence, drugs and the occasional sex scandal.
Also, all crowd numbers are dwindling, prices go up attendance goes down.

:sleep2:
Now everyone is entitled to their opinion but i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you don't know what you are talking about

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Accurately? Throwing a ball 30 metres is harder than kicking it 50, without a doubt.

a) AFL players don't sidestep. Watch Benji Marshall - that's a sidestep.
I'll respond to the post you made with videos. This video addresses these two comments (although Its more of a back/blind turn than a sidestep - if you want I'll get you some videos of a side step).

[YOUTUBE]EAeV5MEZBFk[/YOUTUBE]

a) It's not a real 'hit' in AFL, more like a fairy tap.
Love to see you get up from one of these "fairy taps".
[YOUTUBE]vr81dc4o5yI[/YOUTUBE]

a) Several hundred options? Aren't there only like 20-odd people on a team? Does each player in your team offer 10-15 options each, do they? I think not
Options change every single second, thus by the time they have passed the ball 100's of options/opportunities would have gone past.

c) A league ball is designed for passing, an AFL ball for kicking. So, kicking a goal from the sideline is much harder than kicking a goal in AFL. Much harder.
Lol. A league ball is completely stationary and on a decent enough angle every single time, you can strike the ball with complete precision as in league as you don't have to worry about a ball drop. A goal from the "sidelines" in the AFL is MUCH, MUCH harder than kicking a goal from the "sidelines" in NRL.

AFL goal from the boundary line (notice the pressure from the opponents, something an NRL kick doesn't have... oh and the angle).
[YOUTUBE]xak2WjnSh6k[/YOUTUBE]
Oh, and NRL Footy Show > ALF Footy Show for one reason - Yours has Sam Newman on it...
Sam Newman is one of the only funny media personality's going around... sure he may be sexist but at least it provides quality laughs.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, lets look at both shal we?

Watch the replay of the pass at 1:07 in this:
[youtube]WANVDpGeM_g[/youtube]

And...

[youtube]Jl5LUiQOThQ[/youtube]

As for kicking, this game highlights package has a good exhibition of kicks, 40/20s, bombs, chips... some great passes too brought to you by the best team in the comp...

[youtube]RFy5NRNNf9g[/youtube]

Glad you asked! Plenty of rugby 'hits' videos on YouTube...

[youtube]gKARKclMgWc[/youtube]

[youtube]y9O3OADyttM[/youtube]

Seriously there are way to many for me to go through them all and find the best, but you can do that if your not satisfied.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said...

Thats all about Channel 9's footy show (which as the article suggests is a bit lax, always has been IMO)
I never said it was good. I know you know how to read Pet, please do it.

I'd probably rate their opinions higher than yours, especially when you consider who your role models are.

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, lets look at both shal we?

Watch the replay of the pass at 1:07 in this:

And...
Happens regularly in the AFL... and from much, much tighter situations where you have people surrounding you COMPLETELY. In fact I would've been surprised if that rugby player didn't make that pass.
[YOUTUBE]Sw2paSEOk8g[/YOUTUBE]

As for kicking, this game highlights package has a good exhibition of kicks, 40/20s, bombs, chips... some great passes too brought to you by the best team in the comp...
Wow they are such **** kicks... they could try putting some proper technique, something I've never understood is why rugby players don't kick more accurately, I remember watching one of the storm Gf's and I was shocked at how bad the players were kicking.

Glad you asked! Plenty of rugby 'hits' videos on YouTube...
All of them are cheap coathangers that any sniper could do...

I'll show you what "tough" is, getting hit by the point of the shoulder in the face, doing a 360... getting up and grabbing the ball a second later and letting it result in a goal. Not the rugby "Run into a player, fall over" repeat.

[YOUTUBE]-xh5N6yPa9U[/YOUTUBE]

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happens regularly in the AFL... and from much, much tighter situations where you have people surrounding you COMPLETELY. In fact I would've been surprised if that rugby player didn't make that pass.
[YOUTUBE]Sw2paSEOk8g[/YOUTUBE]

You can't 'flick' pass in AFL, you have to hit the ball will your other hand. You can pass the ball forwards too in AFL making it much easier to advance, no offside either so you can kick the ball long distances to anyone, making gaining meters simple for anyone who can kick a football.

Wow they are such **** kicks... they could try putting some proper technique, something I've never understood is why rugby players don't kick more accurately, I remember watching one of the storm Gf's and I was shocked at how bad the players were kicking.
As opposed to AFL players who are so accurate that they need two extra sets of goal posts so if they miss they still get rewarded.

The good kickers in the NRL would all be on par or better than AFL players, granted not all players in the NRL can kick (some cant at all, or very poor) but then again our sport is more than just about kicking, however it is a very important part and as such every team will have players that can kick the ball, if they don't they will suffer.

In most NRL teams you will have at least two players that kick the ball regularly, the play makers (half back and 5/8th). At the end of the 6th tackle of a set you must hand the ball over (this is the major thing that is different between league and union), to avoid doing this in poor field position it is wise to kick the ball down field on or before tackle 5 to gain extra territorial advantage from the set. This means that kicking is a vital part of league, and thats just defensive kicking.

I would like to see an AFL player kick a drop-goal, thats a kick for goal in play that must touch the ground while in the process of kicking, as Darren Lockyer is doing in this picture and the winning goal in the video by Todd Carney.

[youtube]u4l6wimxXPM[/youtube]

All of them are cheap coathangers that any sniper could do...

I'll show you what "tough" is, getting hit by the point of the shoulder in the face, doing a 360... getting up and grabbing the ball a second later and letting it result in a goal. Not the rugby "Run into a player, fall over" repeat.
Rugby, of either type, is 10000x 'tougher' than AFL simply by the way it is played.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=11429716

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see an AFL player kick a drop-goal, thats a kick for goal in play that must touch the ground while in the process of kicking, as Darren Lockyer is doing in this picture and the winning goal in the video by Todd Carney.

Are you serious? Your actually serious? A drop-kick was invented by the AFL.

In Australian rules football, a similarly named and executed kick was used in general play, particularly after a free kick was awarded. It was popular as players could kick the ball long distances, and the ball's backwards rotation was reasonably easy for teammates to mark (catch) the ball (a major feature of the game).

A variation known as the stab pass or more poetically, the daisy cutter, involved an abbreviated follow-through and travelled on a notably low trajectory, which made it very useful for short-range passing.

The drop kick and stab pass gradually disappeared from the game by the 1980s, as it was unreliable given the game's fast pace, particularly on wet grounds, and players were coached to use either the drop punt or torpedo (ball rolls sideways on its axis rather than rotating backwards like the punt) kicking style for reliability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_kick
You are a complete drop kick. If an AFL player drop kicked today they would be ridiculed for being a moron or just plain laughed at.

The good kickers in the NRL would all be on par or better than AFL players
LOL You are completely and absolutely delusional. AFL players generally have to pin-point passes onto other players chests... the NRL just whack the ball up into the air and pray that one of the players runs onto it.

haha, sorry, Pet, you lose. League is way tougher than AFL.

AFL is for girls.
What a compelling argument. That MUST be why it's the most popular sport in Australia.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Are you serious? Your actually serious? A drop-kick was invented by the AFL.
lol, I suppose you have evidence that AFL invented the drop goal? Think you will find that Union can claim that...

You are a complete drop kick. If an AFL player drop kicked today they would be ridiculed for being a moron or just plain laughed at.
Yeh because its to hard, kicking the ball normally is much faster (as you say). This is why in League you can NOT score a goal in normal play UNLESS you drop kick the ball, you can't simply punt it through like you can in AFL, oh and ours actually have to go over the crossbar. Easy mode AFL doesn't even have a crossbar and has two extra posts!

LOL You are completely and absolutely delusional. AFL players generally have to pin-point passes onto other players chests... the NRL just whack the ball up into the air and pray that one of the players runs onto it.
Whatever you reckon, if you knew anything about league or watched it you would realize this is not the case.

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeh because its to hard, kicking the ball normally is much faster (as you say). This is why in League you can NOT score a goal in normal play UNLESS you drop kick the ball, you can't simply punt it through like you can in AFL, oh and ours actually have to go over the crossbar. Easy mode AFL doesn't even have a crossbar and has two extra posts!