• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

npc towns

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Wot Ozog is saying wif adopt a town, is to allow player run cities to put up a certian amount of vendors . In city they adopt and for them to hold meetings of some sort, at least once a month there. Mebe hold a bizar they, a repair day, like DWxC used to do in haven. Ems could gibe towns a place to lock thigs down for a bizar. when bizar ober no more lock downs.Towns would habe to cordinate wif each other on times and days. bizar would hold games of chance, crafted stuffs, amd udder tings.

OZOG

G

Gowron

Ozog, I think it is a great idea. However, I'm not sure about whether or not EM's have the time for that with all the other things on their plates.

I think we may need to discuss some particulars in another avenue to see how we can pull something like this off without EM support. I think we should run these a couple times before requesting EM involvement.

Doing a couple dry runs will help determine a few things.

What can be done without EM support?

What can't be done without EM support?

How much interest is there within the community, and is it enough to warrant EM support?

N

Nastia Cross

Like I was attempting to say in the other thread was that none of these things will happen without players who are willing to spend their time on it.

Honestly, most players (especially those part of townships) are already busy with their own things and I doubt they would want to run vendors and meetings in a town when most of them have their own townships where they can host these things.

That being said, I mentioned several times in the other thread that a Community Center would be ideal for this sort of interaction as it would allow ALL players, not just RP and those part of townships, to gather and utilize the space. I also stated that involvement could be started by asking each township to run an event at the Center every other week or once a month.

Unfortunately I don't see a consensus being reached in anything of this nature because people are too busy at each other's throats to have civil discourse.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
was just trying to populate npc towns. Vendors might help. a once a month bizzar is doable
but mebe yur right has not been any response.

ozog

W

Walker D. Plank

I be willin to put me time into a vendor if ye merchant not be chargin me 200k a day to do so.

Cap'n

T

Tancred RedStar

I agree with Nastia on this one. Plus, it's not fair that some players might have super-primo vendor placement because theyre involved with a player-town while (many)others are not.

An interesting sort of twist on this idea is something I came across that theyre doing on Catskills, where player-groups(towns?) can more or less "adopt" an NPC city/town to defend it by way of "regiments" with the Royal Guard. In return, they can have the place deco'd to some degree, hang a regimental banner, etc. Sounds somewhat interesting, but I'd rather see attacks on player-towns and attention being focused there first, like what was somewhat frequent some months ago.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't play Chessy but I am a Mod for these EM forums and I had an idea. Maybe convince someone that owns a Luna house to not charge vendor rentals and allow folks to set up a vendor for the shortest amount of time possible one day or three days or a week and allow only one vendor per person or something. That way the items are secure on a vendor. :)

N

Nastia Cross

I don't play Chessy but I am a Mod for these EM forums and I had an idea. Maybe convince someone that owns a Luna house to not charge vendor rentals and allow folks to set up a vendor for the shortest amount of time possible one day or three days or a week and allow only one vendor per person or something. That way the items are secure on a vendor. :)
No offense, but we weren't talking about vendors for the sake of vendors. We were coming up with ways to inhabit empty towns. People already go to Luna.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think each player town adopting an NPC town would work particularly well. I think if everyone adopted just one town, it would have more chance of succeeding. It's easier to breathe a lot of life into one NPC town than a tiny gasp into many.
Plus, even if each guild/township only ran one event a month in it or something, that would still be plenty of things going on. And the player towns could do the rest of their events in their own towns so it wouldn't take away from them much.

That said, I did like the atlantic style community centre proposal thing. And I think a town with a big port would work best for it and tie in with the new content, so somewhere like Trinsic for example. Such a thing might serve to bring Trinsic back to life too. Doesn't have to be Trinsic though of course, I just like the place!

T

Tancred RedStar

Why do people go to Luna?
All these things within mere steps of each other:
  • Bank
  • Pickup bods
  • Stable
  • Moongate
You add a slew of player vendors and homes(malls) and you have the right makings for a busy metropolis.

Other cities have this stuff, but it's all spread out, they werent designed or architected with these convenience considerations. Plus, you can get anything from any of them, none are unique in any way except for Ter Mur cuz it has the rep bonus soulforge. Even then, people just imbue and go.

Maybe some of the cities need areas razed and redesigned. Magincia comes to mind. Build it better. Maybe throw in a bunch of areas where only small houses can be placed, seperate em by pre-built fences or something. Place more quest-givers in them to increase foot traffic. Place deep-water docks in a few. Ruin a few of them and make them sort of new aboveground dungeons(there are way too many empty cities as it is). There's all sorts of ways to attract people.

No offense, but we weren't talking about vendors for the sake of vendors. We were coming up with ways to inhabit empty towns. People already go to Luna.

N

Nastia Cross

I agree Tancred. I'm holding out hope that maybe the New Magincia will be designed better than the other NPC towns, especially in light of the new booster. I know it doesn't go along with Ultima lore but we can dream.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
NPC towns going da way out major cities, Detroit, comes to mind. Maybe they all need to bring in ther borders and use less land? Was just an idea on how to use these towns.Maybe mobs will use them as bases of der ebil ways ?

T

Tancred RedStar

Maybe the devs could write in some code where the less populated a city is, monsters start to move in. As times goes by, they could spawn more frequently and higher level creatures, the landscape starts to change to look more ruined and overgrown and then maybe a boss-level creature takes up residence. This would be like a champ spawn, except fed by inactivity rather than killing stuff, lol

People who either live in the vicinity, use that place as their favorite or even just looking for some action could come clear the place out and restore it, maybe even tie in with the reputation gain system, heck maybe even each city could have it's own special items vendor that dispenses rewards based on how much rep you've earned defending/restoring that town. You could get your very own Sword of Trinsic!

NPC towns going da way out major cities, Detroit, comes to mind. Maybe they all need to bring in ther borders and use less land? Was just an idea on how to use these towns.Maybe mobs will use them as bases of der ebil ways ?

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something like that would be interesting, especially if they added some nice story elements. Stygian Abyss showed they can put quite sophisticated groups of creatures in the game what with those void demons.

Also, I forgot about Magincia! Yes, there is so much potential in the rebuild that I hope it's not wasted. It's also an island and could add so much more to the new booster. I know it's the city of humility and should look humble when it is rebuilt (a buncha huts or something) but it would be easy to come up with a story reason why some Magincians would want it to look more glorious than ever.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Sounds like a good idea. My suggestion would be New Haven. That town is where the new and returning players start. Would be nice for them to log into the game and find players willing to help and mini events going on. The town also has a dock, moongate, bank, quest NPC, Mining, Lumberjacking, etc.

T

Tancred RedStar

Maybe there should be code where any player who logs in for the first time in 12 or more months(or some such time variable) that doesnt have a standing house automatically gets transported to Haven. That way they at least see people are still playing the game rather than running to Britain, finding it empty and cancelling their account. Reds would get sent to the nearest champ spawn or fel moongate, lol

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are. Whenever you make a new character, you get the tutorial (optional) in old haven. And if you ignore it, you get teleported to New Haven square infront of the bank. (I like to see the housing designs and things on other shards, so I've been making a lot of "new" characters).

Never actually completed the tutorial, but I believe you end up in new haven as well, given the tutorial is set in old haven nearby.

*edit* Yes, that would be a good idea. =P

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mees sees ork taking ober cove. mebe undead in palidan city. lizzy men and ettins in skarabrea

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there should be an island of goblin spawn somewhere too so we can kill them. With rewards. Like that one place that has some odd ice cream cave and a park... =P

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These are some very interesting ideas. Especially what you suggested Tancred, with cities becoming overgrown and monsters moving in and taking up residence all the way up to a champ. That would be crazy exciting.

Beyond that, before anyone starts talking about NPC towns I'd like to just point out that we've spent the better part of a year putting the emphasis on player run towns by awarding "banners" and now offering additional opportunities to achieve improvements to those towns.

Remember your EMs are people too and we have to do pesky things like work, eat, sleep, and tend to your families. We already have the schedule about as packed as it can get.

That being said, what would definitely work is if townships wanted to sponsor various events in NPC cities and wanted to request small enhancements...such as tables for a bizzare. Or whatever the case may be.

Also remember that as we develop RPCs and progress the story, NPC towns are what we use, because they are there and because they offer a fairly empty palate to give the event some decorative enhancement without taking up all of our precious hours building something from scratch.

Also, and this is a big one...remember what we have on the horizon. You already know how much I like the ocean...you can count on full immersion here on Chessy.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is good to hear, because the booster (ack, I feel like I'm buying a pack of Magic or L5R cards) seems like it will only provide a limited ammount of content, it is mostly providing tools (new ships, smooth boats, etc). So anything that keeps people engaged out there on the high seas is good.

Also, people like Cap'n Walker are keen on the PvP aspect of it too. So I think that is very much worth encouraging.

All this is a bit offtopic though, and EM-Booster related content could probably use its own thread?

G

Gowron

Remember your EMs are people too and we have to do pesky things like work, eat, sleep, and tend to your families. We already have the schedule about as packed as it can get.
I can't resist, Dudley. Why are you tending to my family? Do I get some compensation for this intrusion? LOL!

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ozog,

It is funny how our shard and perhaps other shards have responded to empty/low population npc cities over the years by turning around and building more player run towns/cities. Only to find that these village/towns/cities are also pretty much....well surprise surprise empty. Defying logic somehow that "THEIR" city will somehow magically cause a population boom on Chesapeake. When in reality all they are doing is just shuffling the same thin population amongst themselves more and more.

Maybe rather than spreading the same thin population into more and more different areas and soon into the ocean (new area). The EMs and Developers should consider a new tactic to build community. Defend it or lose it policy (ie Magincia). Expansion or cities/player towns would only come thru people/players being able to defend it/rebuild it on a daily basis. Otherwise the spawns of this world take it back or destroy it. Start forcing players to start banding and working together out of necessity. Otherwise their npc cities/player run towns might become a paragraph in a history book on a library shelf somewhere.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry for redundancy...should have finished reading additional posts :)

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't resist, Dudley. Why are you tending to my family? Do I get some compensation for this intrusion? LOL!
That's just funny and twisted all at the same time...should have read tending to OUR families of course :p

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
ozog says all hims gots to say. *goes back home starts diggin new cabe*