• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Not finding Valorite ore.

G

Grumm

Today I mined over 7000 ore and did not find any Valorite. I mined several hundred of every other color, but not a single piece of Valorite. Anyone else having this problem, or am I a victim of the RNG?

All the mining was done outside of guard zones, in serval locations and I have 105 mining with the gloves.

T

Teufel_Hund

Today I mined over 7000 ore and did not find any Valorite. I mined several hundred of every other color, but not a single piece of Valorite. Anyone else having this problem, or am I a victim of the RNG?

All the mining was done outside of guard zones, in serval locations and I have 105 mining with the gloves.
Prospecting tool is your freind. I tap every spot.

K

Kazar

There is a large cave in the northern part of Malas that I have found to have Val almost every day. I will use a sextant and get you coordinates. I have had very good luck there.

G

Grumm

I know about the prospectors tool, but that isn't the problem. The problem is finding an actual Valorite vein. Is the percentage that low? I have now mined over 10K ore and still no Valorite veins. You would think that out of all that mining I would have found at least one measley piece.

At 10K ore weighing 12 stone each, with an average of 13 pieces per node, you get almost 800 nodes mined. Some nodes were mined more than once, but for the most part, I kept going to different areas.

What is the percentage chance to get Valorite without a prospectors tool? Has it all but become a requirement to use a prospectors tool to find it? I don't mind putting the hours in to mine ore, but to walk away without any Valorite (without a prospectors tool) becomes a killjoy.

On the upside, I have enough blackrock to build the Lincoln Mermorial.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the chance for Valorite is supposed to be 1.4%, at least before 2008. Currently, it might be between 1.0% to 2.0% (depending if the ore got modified the way BOD drops were). Note that I say aws low as 1.0% because the numbers I've seen given for the ore spread add up to 100.4%.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The idea behind using the prosp tool is that not only do you upgrade the vein but you can quickly see what it is and move on. You don't need to mine the vein out if you are looking solely for valorite. If you can kill ore elementals or mine in a guard zone you can use prosp tool + garg pickaxe to upgrade agapite spots as well, which really boosts your valorite return.

G

Grumm

Right now I am not worried about solely getting colored ore. I still have to finish off my Tinkering and Smithing. I just think the percentage is too low in a game that is item based. The increase is resists from Verite to Valorite doesn't warrent such a low percentage.

The game is what it is though. What is the best way to stockpile Prospectors tools?

G

Grumm

Answered my own question. Really didn't want to get into the BoD industry. Anyone know of any for sale on GL?

W

Warrior of Time

Now if we could just get the prospecting tool to work correctly in a macro for mining in KR we would be all set. I can mine 3 colors of ore + iron and only one (if any) upgrades. The only thing I know of that works right now is the gargoyle pick.