• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Norton 2009 Macro removing... Fix?

D

Dirty Mindz

Hi, i have norton 2009 installed on my computer as of recently, and i cant seem to get it to stop erasing my macros, what do i need to do to fix this problem??

please give me help this is making me not want to play uo ne more.

T

Tazar

I know it is not what you want to hear - but given how much of a resource HOG Norton is - my recommendation is to delete it and try most any other antivirus software instead.

If you really like Norton, then I hope someone else here can offer more useful advise. It would be sad to loose a UO player over trash-software like Norton.

Good Luck!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I know it is not what you want to hear - but given how much of a resource HOG Norton is - my recommendation is to delete it and try most any other antivirus software instead.

If you really like Norton, then I hope someone else here can offer more useful advise. It would be sad to loose a UO player over trash-software like Norton.

Good Luck!
Yup. This. Norton PKed my comp once. Crashed on an update. I had to wipe the hard drive to get back up.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Fix: Get rid of Norton.

It used to be good a LONG time ago, now it's become an out of control beast (kind of like Adobe products and iTunes).

Ditch it and look into smaller packages.

R

Ravahan

Hi, i have norton 2009 installed on my computer as of recently, and i cant seem to get it to stop erasing my macros, what do i need to do to fix this problem??

please give me help this is making me not want to play uo ne more.
Since you probably paid a hefty sum for Norton and want to use it even if there are alternatives out there, I suggest actually looking through the files you scan reveals next time and hitting "ignore" on any of the files found in the EA folder. Most AV softwares have an ignore option, and I can't imagine Norton wouldn't.

If you do decide to uninstall it, you'll want to run a registry cleaner afterwords as both Norton and McAffee uninstall very sloppily. I have seen very serious issues caused by leftover registry keys from uninstalling (specifically) Norton and then installing McAffee. The two programs get along like a fresh cut and lime juice.

Personally, I use AVG Free version.

D

Divie

Pfft get rid of norton, most of the places that will give you norton with a computer only do so because of the corporate deals they will offer in exchange for combining their product with the platforms that are available. Your are much better off with avg or other equivalent prgs you don't have to pay through the nose with.

T

Tazar

Sorry Kelmo... did not mean to turn this into an Anti-Norton Rant Thread... lol

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is it affecting your macros in their new location (As of last summer) in the Documents & Settings folder? There was a change in the location of your desktop settings (including macros) to the Documents folder, instead of the client folder in Program Files, last summer, because Norton was doing this back then to people.

M

miss uo

I just uninstalled norton from my husbands laptop and went with pctools. They are offering a one year free license.

C

Chrissay_

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We have looked into this from our end and tried to reorganize the way the macros are saved. Unfortunately, Norton still sees these files as an unwanted asset on your computer. At this point we can only suggest to talk with Norton’s support to see if they have a work around for this.

Chrissay