• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Noob can't understand stealth training

sidew

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've tried to train two chars with the same result.
It will train up to 25 skill points with all failed stealth attempts.
At 25 it will never actually stealth and no longer gain skill.

I've tried every logical thing I can think of like gradually reducing
my equipment down to bare minimum. Emptying my pack.
Trying different locations. Doing new player quest.
:dunce:
There must be something I don't know, and I'm hoping someone
can let me know what that might be.

Thanks

sidew

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Checked uoguide.com ?
I've been starting several new chars, and I'm looking through the guide very, very often.
It's totally helpful, though sometimes a bit vague.
Can't see anything in there that let's me know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Well, http://www.uoguide.com/Stealth

Training

Training Stealth​
0-30​
Purchase training from a Thief Guildmaster
30-65​
Stealth while wearing leather (add a piece at a time as it gets higher.) Don't use a helmet.
65-95​
Stealth while wearing studded leather (add a piece at a time as it gets higher.) Don't use a helmet.
95-120​
Stealth while wearing ringmail armor and a Close Helmet.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
When I trained my stealther I use a crystal ball of knowledge to verify i was training correctly

sidew

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
When I trained my stealther I use a crystal ball of knowledge to verify i was training correctly
Yes, I could try purchasing training to 30 and see if that works, but I'm too cheap
and stubborn to do that unless it's the only way. Doesn't seem right to me!
I tried one character who is already a bit built up and then gradually removed
armor, jewelry, pack contents etc.
Then I tried a completely new character with no gear at all. Same result.
What seems to me to show that it is not working correctly is the fact that
neither one of those two chars actually stealthed all the way up to 25.

Where would I be able to get a Crystal Ball of Knowledge?

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Purchase one from a player or collect 100 daemon bone + 100 dragon blood and get one in termur

Uoguide has the details

sidew

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Purchase one from a player or collect 100 daemon bone + 100 dragon blood and get one in termur

Uoguide has the details
OK, thanks for all your help.
I'll keep working on other stuff and keep an eye out for a
chance to purchase one of those Crystal Balls.

sidew

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Glad to help ;)
On one of those chars I finally broke down and purchased the Stealth training. (To lvl 40 actually).
From there both the Stealthing and Stealth training gains work fine.

Still feel like this is cheating though. LOL
I'll continue to try to figure out how to do it correctly on the other char.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theres a beginners quest at New Haven for stealth. You get improved gains, if you take that quest first and train in the suggested area. (Its actually not easier to train but each gain will give you more than a meager 0.1 .) You should also remember that using and training stealth is tied to hiding, too. If you fail a lot on hiding it is nearly impossible to train stealthing.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should also remember that using and training stealth is tied to hiding, too. If you fail a lot on hiding it is nearly impossible to train stealthing.
^^^ Agreed!

Work your hiding to at least 50 first, OR:

Use locations where you Never fail at hiding, like in a house you are friended, or a moongate. Step through and you are automatically hidden. Walk a few steps away. When you fail to move while hidden, use the moongate to another safe area and repeat. Switch between Skara Brae, Luna, and Umbra since those are all in guard zones.

Start stealth wearing nothing.
Then add a piece of leather armor as you gain, one at a time until you are wearing a full set (but no helmet)
Then start adding a piece of studded leather, one at a time until you have a full set (but no helmet)
Finally add a helmet and finish your stealthing to GM.

Ebony

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have trained 2 stealthers, both only took days to weeks, depending on how much i worked. You have to train both hiding and stealthing. And it sounds like most of your problem was taking OFF your armor. You have to add armor. The post by kongomongo tells you exactly how to do it. I spent a lot of time walking around the outside of Luna myself. It can be very frustrating at times, but don't give up. You will love the ability to walk (and sometimes for a short distance run) unseen.