• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

None of my USBs work!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That means no mouse or keyboard. Both work on other computers. I have tried other USB devices... Nothing. All 10 are out.

This is what happened... I was on the computer. A cat was sleeping on a box near it. (I know, cats and computers do not mix. Cats have been banned from my man room).

This clumsy fat cat fell off the box and hit the front of my comp. There are no buttons on the front except for the dvd button. It was not a huge hit. She just rolled off on to it.

I opened the case up and all of the power lines seem well connected. I fiddled with it and got the mouse to light up. Still does not work.

The keyboard has yet to light up.

What would take out all 10 USB connections? The comp boots up fine. It connects just fine. I know this by watching my virus protection load up.

I am out of my league here.

One more question. Should the offending cat be a wall ornement or a furry mouse pad?

U

UOKaiser

That means no mouse or keyboard. Both work on other computers. I have tried other USB devices... Nothing. All 10 are out.

This is what happened... I was on the computer. A cat was sleeping on a box near it. (I know, cats and computers do not mix. Cats have been banned from my man room).

This clumsy fat cat fell off the box and hit the front of my comp. There are no buttons on the front except for the dvd button. It was not a huge hit. She just rolled off on to it.

I opened the case up and all of the power lines seem well connected. I fiddled with it and got the mouse to light up. Still does not work.

The keyboard has yet to light up.

What would take out all 10 USB connections? The comp boots up fine. It connects just fine. I know this by watching my virus protection load up.

I am out of my league here.

One more question. Should the offending cat be a wall ornement or a furry mouse pad?
Definetely a furry mouse pad. Now you said you fiddle with it in which way that cause the mouse to light up yet it doesn't work?. 2 possibilities come to mind. 1) cat hit the case harder than you thought and a short circuit occured from underneath the motherboard. Hapens quite often I love to turn mother boards on by short circuting the bottom of motherboards ): But usualy it would have tobe something hard to hit a case very hard so unless your cat did a summersault into the pc and the pc fell from a table onto a metal floor then that scenerio is more likely. (though am exagirating and it can happen with a slightmove of screws underneath of motherboard or something metal rolling underneath.)
2) During the hit was your computer on at the time? Could of being a corruption of usb drivers. Then I recommend try tu reinstall drivers for usb. Using your windows cd to try to repair. f course it will be troublesome without a ps2 port or mouse and keyboard with ps2adapters. Thats where you need to be creative. Us techs usually have a lot of spare parts around for thing such as this. Try to find one from a friend or ask Basara he still likes ball mouses so he might have a ps2 one :) Sorry Basara couldn't ressist forgive me:)
Well thats the first 2 things that come to my mind and would check before moving on to conflits or other scenerios.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Normally, the usb ports are split into separate hubs (internal usb hubs). 1 hub for all the ports on the front of the casing, and 2 hubs for the ones on the back of the casing.

The 2 hubs at the back are normally built into the motherboard. Only the one that connects to the front panel should be connected to your mobo via a cable.

I am guessing that this is the one you got working by disconnecting cables from the mobo jack and reconnecting.

But for the other 2, I'll rule out issues related to loose cabling (unless your board/casing has cables to the back panel).

Having all 10 go would point to a system issue instead of port/hub issue.

1) First thing to try, power off completely. Pull out power plug and leave it alone for 15 mins to allow the power supply to discharge completely.

Reconnect power and try again.

2) If that doesn't work, the next thing to try is from the software end. If you are using MS Windows, check this article from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

3) If it still doesn't work, then we start looking at usb controller failure. Ii it the new machine and still under warranty? If so, call your vendor and have them replace it. Don't mention the cat.

Good luck.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Normally, the usb ports are split into separate hubs (internal usb hubs). 1 hub for the front, 2 hubs for the back.

The 2 hubs at the back are normally built into the motherboard. Only the one that connects to the front panel should be connected to your mobo via a cable.

I am guessing that this is the one you got working by disconnecting from the jack and reconnecting.

But for the other 2, I'd rule issues related to loose cabling (unless your board/casing has cables to the back panel).

Having all 10 go would point to a system issue instead of port/hub issue.

1) First thing to try, power off completely. Pull out power plug and leave it alone for 15 mins to allow the power supply to discharge completely.

Reconnect power and try again.

2) If that doesn't work, the next thing to try is from the software end. If you are using MS Windows, check this article from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

3) If it still doesn't work, then we start looking at usb controller failure. It's the new machine and still under warranty? Call your vendor and have them replace it. Don't mention the cat.

Good luck.
I think I love you...

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I love you...
Glad it was resolved :D And without going further than step 1 either!

Edit: Btw, furry mouse pads don't work that well, the fur gets trapped in the socket if you use a ball mouse, and for optical mice, screws up the optical sensors.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The cat gets to live, thanks to you...

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cats and Computers don't mix well.

1. Cats like to pounch on the mouse
2. Can cause overheating sleeping on top of the tower.
3. Fur/hair gets stuck in the fans, Increases dust bunny size.
4. Can sabotage your PC , work, or gaming with a jump to the keyboard.
5. Filled with electostatic. Always put a grounding strap on you cat.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My last foster kitty:

Now his new owner gets to enjoy the cat-computer combo! :D

-Skylark