• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

No Longer Able to train Pet Resist?

J

jegilber

All,

I figured I would train the last 2.5 of my Greater Drags resist this AM, so..took him out of the stables, Disco'd him, cast clumsy AND....he ate me! So, I ran off, got rezed...assume I must have cast Ebolt or something, re-disco'd carefully cast clumsy and he ate me again...yep, dead.

Is anyone else running into this?

R

RichDC

Get him tanking on a shadow elemental and you can cast away all day at him!

J

jegilber

Wasnt telling him to stop, I will try that later. Can someone try with one of theirs and let me know?

J

jegilber

OK, telling him to stop worked with Clumsy, not with Poison...thanks.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just tested it to be sure and yeah, it works fine still. You need to tell your pet to stop first.

Just be sure you invis or hide before you tell them to follow you. Otherwise he'll get all nice and close up and then he'll eat you :D

Any of the resist triggering spells should do the trick.

Wenchy

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you have zero skill in eval int and preferably an elf (humans get JOAT +20 eval). Then you may cast debuff spells on it, it will NOT target you ever.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you do something like this when you can just go out and fight bloods and balrons and the like and the pet's skills, including resist, would all go up as you hunted?

I've never understood the idea of fighting shadow elementals and casting on your pets. Don't you get bored rigid?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra, I think the level of boredom is proportional to your distance from/attention paid to the PC :D Those of us who are always paying full attention get bored in minutes and go out to train pets properly, the rest are either watching TV or in some cases nowhere near the PC at all...*mutters*

I can't be bothered with shadow eles even when miners leave them on my doorstep ;)

Wenchy

M

mutau

i like training them on balrons in the dungeon east of Spririt. The frequent spawn of para balrons definitely keeps me awake and works wonders for fame/karma/honor.

K

Kazumi the Wild

I'd do balrons more if paragons didn't take 10 freaking minutes. :sad4:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, for serious gains, my pets have done best lately against ladies of the snow. But you have to be alert and keep the pet between you and the new spawn. If you get targeted you're in trouble, because the first thing that lady will do is sic a revenant on you. I have to say, when I take a pet up to winter spur there's absolutely no chance of my falling asleep.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, for serious gains, my pets have done best lately against ladies of the snow. But you have to be alert and keep the pet between you and the new spawn. If you get targeted you're in trouble, because the first thing that lady will do is sic a revenant on you. I have to say, when I take a pet up to winter spur there's absolutely no chance of my falling asleep.
Yes I like that hunting area as well. Not many people are really aware of that tucked off area I don't think. Definitely keeps you aware like you said since you will here that OoOoOo sound the revenant makes if it kills you and then disappears. haha :D

Y

YuriGaDaisukiDa

drop your pet off at an abyss spawn

those imps will cast 10 times as fast as you

or better, an undead spawn, so you dont get flame strikes and e bolts

if its a greater, it wont die ever agaisnt ghouls, and probly wont up the spawn by iteself

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
drop your pet off at an abyss spawn

those imps will cast 10 times as fast as you

or better, an undead spawn, so you dont get flame strikes and e bolts

if its a greater, it wont die ever agaisnt ghouls, and probly wont up the spawn by iteself
Clarifying here. Work up the spawn by itself right? lol. Yep agreed...hadn't thought of going to a spawn champ area per say.

Good idea though. I always went to Chaos myself to do the same thing.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't suggest stopping at the same group of casters for too long, they tend to run out of mana after a while so you either kill them now and then or just let your pet work a steady spawn. I noticed that happening to folks who pixie parked their cu sidhe. The dog would be sat there with the same 3 pixies for a few hours and be lucky to gain a couple of times after the initial mana dump.

This being the reason why I tend to take my pets out to hunt things like daemons, ladies of the snow, that kinda thing. At least that offers loot ;) But I have gone into blood dungeon and alternated between blood ele killing and then where there are cells with the imps I've sat up there with all the imps on my pet for a bit, killed them and gone back to the bloods.

If it's a mount, you can also work the Oaks spawn outside blood dungeon up to the kirin/uni level and use those for training too. Before that, wisps and shadow wisps in packs are good. I just set my mare to attack a whole stack in quick succession rather than getting her to stop and stay with them. You don't need to do any parking if you can work the spawn up as easily as that is. I find I'm getting decent enough gains, and if someone else joins in to kill the boss there's a chance at some replicas at the end.

*still covets her + 0.1 herding scroll*

Wenchy

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't suggest stopping at the same group of casters for too long, they tend to run out of mana after a while so you either kill them now and then or just let your pet work a steady spawn. I noticed that happening to folks who pixie parked their cu sidhe. The dog would be sat there with the same 3 pixies for a few hours and be lucky to gain a couple of times after the initial mana dump.

This being the reason why I tend to take my pets out to hunt things like daemons, ladies of the snow, that kinda thing. At least that offers loot ;) But I have gone into blood dungeon and alternated between blood ele killing and then where there are cells with the imps I've sat up there with all the imps on my pet for a bit, killed them and gone back to the bloods.

If it's a mount, you can also work the Oaks spawn outside blood dungeon up to the kirin/uni level and use those for training too. Before that, wisps and shadow wisps in packs are good. I just set my mare to attack a whole stack in quick succession rather than getting her to stop and stay with them. You don't need to do any parking if you can work the spawn up as easily as that is. I find I'm getting decent enough gains, and if someone else joins in to kill the boss there's a chance at some replicas at the end.

*still covets her + 0.1 herding scroll*

Wenchy
Yeah pretty good point. I never understood people who did dog parking and then left since they never get as many gains as someone who can work a huge spellcasting area with a lot of mobs.

U

uoBuoY

...I noticed that happening to folks who pixie parked their cu sidhe. The dog would be sat there with the same 3 pixies for a few hours and be lucky to gain a couple of times after the initial mana dump...
Those Pixies can be quite productive but not unattended.

Discord Cu
Engage one Pixie at a time until its major mana dump is over
Add another Pixie until you aren't comfortable with the Vetting (for me: 5-6)
The last Pixie you add will present some serious Vetting problems until its Mana is gone!

Of course the use of Discordance is a major factor.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it comes down to whether you favour steady gains over blasting quickly in short bursts. I don't tend to have time to set things up for a longer training stint these days, so my methods tend to involve bursts of imps and other packs, then more normal hunting to rest my vetting finger and back to the imps. Or daemons/snow ladies. I do tend to vet like crazy at times, but find the gains are worth it.

Wenchy

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you do something like this when you can just go out and fight bloods and balrons and the like and the pet's skills, including resist, would all go up as you hunted?

I've never understood the idea of fighting shadow elementals and casting on your pets. Don't you get bored rigid?

Petra is the Allen Iverson of taming....
She doesn't believe in Practice...lol

you are right ..Training your pet on shadow eles, or blue training them isn't hunting....it is like going to practice. It is boring and hard work. But your skills improve quickly so when you do hunt your pet is better equipped.

Are you talking about practice.....practice??

lol
:)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, well, your 'practice' wouldn't improve 'my' skills at all, and I need all the improvement I can get, as a player, so I 'practice' on lower creatures and learn how to work with the pet at the same time as it gains skills.

Have you noticed that a dread warhorse has a little quirk to it that it will break off and walk round you and then carry on? I was quite surprised the first time mine did that.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yep mind does the same....

I am not expert but I am confident with my skill and abilities when I am out hunting.....I have logged 1000's of hours farming with various pets over the years. For me I want to bring my pets scores up to near trained before I take them out. Secondary pets aren't quite so crucial for me to train pre-hunt.

If my Dread is there to tank I can let my kit's skills raise slowly as I hunt.

But with solo pets I like to take out near fully trained.

My new Dragon bonds tomorrow....I might test drive him a little this weekend, so I can get a before and after training idea. But next week I will be slogging it out on shadows.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, my Dread's do that as well. I too believe in single or tank pet training on ele's, just to get them maxed asap. They don't have to be "done" per se, but close enough that they are highly useful. I don't mind grinding it, since when I try and train them while hunting I get too caught up in running gold back to the bank and I don't feel like I maximize my pet training time. My tamers share time with a lot of different character types, so when I get on them, they either train that day or they hunt. Training days are days I want to get maximum gains in the shortest time, and the ele's are incredibly useful for that. JMO.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me it is no different from having my mage cast on his spell book training magery....or peacing myself to train music...bushido training on a horse...parry training with sheep.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can vouch for the Abyss/Undead spawn method, if done in Ilshenar on a shard other than SP & or Mugen. It's where I've gotten most of my gains from.

The rest came from running around Ilshenar Oaks and attacking wisps. You can get the spawn solo up to the white wisps, at minimum, and they take 2-3 hits to kill by fully trained dragons - they'll invariably cast at least one spell in that time on the dragon, and you get chances at Scrolls - all while never being attacked. Your fingers might get tired of all the "kill" macros and targeting, though,,,

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me it is no different from having my mage cast on his spell book training magery....or peacing myself to train music...bushido training on a horse...parry training with sheep.
Yup, but I don't do any of those either, I'm a glutton for punishment, I do it all the hard way :). I trained my taming almost exclusively on aggressives, from slimes, through scorpions, giant spiders, giant toads, etc, etc.

Low boredom threshold. :D

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same method here, at least for pets who need to start on the easy stuff.

At least the gains come a lot faster that way, and it's way more interesting than sitting looking at the same shadow ele for hours! I had a lot of fun training my cats and uni with little spawn, can be challenging keeping a delicate pack critter alive let alone 5 of them fighting at the same time :D

I think if I just sparred pets to get them ready to hunt it would take most of the fun out of taming for me. Seriously, the only reason I can do any PvM in the same area is because I'm watching for a pet gain. No patience for farming mobs otherwise lol.

Wenchy

W

Warrior of Time

Talk about gaining, and stay awake. KILL pixies with a squirrel. If you want to gain off a pixie that is the way to do it. I know that I have done a ferret and squirrel. I like payback time in a small way. If you think a squirrel can't kill a pixie come to GL and watch the fun. Best keep the karma up too. I like getting paid for training. even 2 gems is more than nothing per kill. Pixie legs too can be given out or sold. Turn a ferret lose on some lizered men. You will need a beetle to carry the stuff off. I let mine play with the ones in the NE corner in Despise. Get gold and hides at the same time get the wrestling, anatomy, tac, at the same time get the vet to 120. Invis till the spawn targets the Ferret. He can even kill the ones in that little ring they can spawn in. Also get a few chuckels from the ones that stop and watch.

That or go down stairs to kill ettins, and earth eles. Fun is Fun in UO.

If you get bored with the big stuff try the small world of UO. After 11 years you look for something diff.

In a Big way it can be harder to train up something small than a big pet.

I hope they give us somthing that will do more than 5 damage though. Maybe a Mink or Badger. An OL regen is too fast to do much more than train an OL.

Don't get me wrong I like my Dread War Horse, and Greater Dragon way of training you do. One thing I don't do is get bored though. I get a beetle, and a person with GM hidding.

T

Turdnugget

Be sure if you're casting on your pet it's not damaging spells. Thats what triggers it to attack.

Weaken/Feeblemind/Clumsy will do the trick.