• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ninjitsu archer

Gusten

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a big fan of stealth, and have always been when it comes to playing computer games. In shooters, I play sniper. In RPGs, I'm either a thief or I rely on stealth to hunt. In UO, I'm not really interested in stealing from other players (moral issue, even if the playstyle entices me), so that leaves me with PvM stealth.

Unfortunally, PvM stealth isn't really... well, good. The char I've come up with, to do the most use in PvM, is the following template:

120 Archery
100 Ninjitsu
120 Tactics
55 Stealth
100 Hide
80 Anatomy
80 Healing
65 Chivalry

I'm using Shadow Dancer leggings to get 75 stealth, and I have a bit of LMC and MR in gear for mana support.

The good things about this template:
I use archery, which in my eyes is the only sustainable weapon skill in PvM. With melee skills, I can do large initial damage with Ninjitsu, but no enemy (non-pvp) of value will go down with that, and against Champ/Peerless bosses I'd be toast.
High Tactics and decent Anatomy means fairly OK base damage. I have a bit over 100% DI from items (weapon mod included (resists are all 60-70)), so my average shot does OK damage.
I get the goodies from Chivalry that I want for PvM, even if EoO takes a few casts to succeed.
I have high enough hide/stealth to efficiently stealth around, and high enough ninjitsu to use all the skills/animal forms I want.
All in all - I do fairly well in (group) PvM, and I'm still able to stealth.

The bad things:
Ninjitsu isn't Bushido. I don't do the same damage as I would have (and formerly did on this char) as an ABC-archer.
Healing and anatomy isn't 90/100, which I normally try to have as a minimum. I can fail heals, and even more often res.
Archery simply isn't opted for Ninjitsu.
120 Ninjitsu would mean higher damage from specials.
No med/focus/resist spells, which ABC has.
There are more downsides, but in general - I'm not nearly strong enough to do what an ABC-archer can do, so I have to rely on being in a group to get things done.

My questions here is - have any of you ever played a Ninjitsu Archer? What do you think of my template, would you have done anything differently? Have you succesfully played a stealth PvM char?

I use a different char for my every day solo PvM, so this char would mainly be used for group raids anyway, but... Since my char isn't opted for PvM, should I consider myself a loot-leecher if I bring it along on raids? (Again, moral issues.) Gear isn't the problem here, I have slayer bows for most situations, and I've only just started to gather gear for a stealth archer.

Any input is very welcome here!

C

Connor_Graham

Ninjitsu is pretty much a waste in PvM. You'd be better off going with an ABC archer.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
if you want to go with that temp you could use jewels to get another 100pts (approximatly ) from bumping skills ! then 10pts from arms of tactic for 110 pts that you could put into bushido! or just bump the skills you have! the downside is that would tie your jewels up! and you may lose some ar !

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
oh and it also kinda ties you to your jewels ! so it makes it hard to change out things!

N

NickyDishes

Ya the temp u layed out is for pvp not pvm....if you or anyone cares i run stealth ninja archer for pvp....plus i use assassins armor coupled with 20 hp regen in dog form....i machine gun people to death it rocks......nothin like watching opposing factions duke it out only to be killed by me with one shot when they're redlined....for pvm i play abc, i recomend u go back to that template being as tho its next to the sampire for pvm efficiency imo.

Gusten

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your replies guys. Regarding relying on jewellery for skills, I don't mind that thought at the moment. As you can pretty much tailor jewells now with imbuing, you can get exactly what you want there anyways, thus making you less restricted. I'm not sure I will try it, but it's definately worth considering.

Concerning pvp - what template do you use Nicky? I'm glad to hear someone's using a ninjitsu/archer at all! The strengths of PvP-Ninjitsu is mainly melee (close range) oriented, or at least in my experience (played a ninja fencer a few years back), so I'm curious how you use it. You say you machine-gun your enemies down in dog form - does that mean using a repeating crossbow and no specials? I'm very curious on how you play, and what template you use, so I'd be very happy if you wanted to post that hear, or in a private message if you don't want to share your tactics with the public.

N

NickyDishes

My Dog Archer:

120 archery
120 ninjitsu
90 healing
90 anatomy
90 tactics
90 stealth (120 with items)
100 hiding

I stay in wolf form for added speed, hp inc, and hci. I switch between a Heavy and a magical short, both balanced, 40 ssi, and over 40 hit lightning. With assassins armor im at 60 ssi cap(machine gun). The healing coupled with 20 hp regen, smoke bombs, and mirror images makes me extremely difficult to kill. I dont use specials because that would require me to go in and outta wolf form, but sometimes i like to stealth up, get on my ethy, and perform a double shot with a yumi. Mages who dont go into protection have no chance against my magical shortbow. Some people would say switch my ninja and tactics around cause i dont need 120 ninjitsu if im not deathstriking, but fizzling dog form with this temp could mean death(i get tracked and taken outta form a lot once the enemy realizes the damage im doing) This is a great temp to run with in a group. The only catch is you need some stamina regen, 45 hci (i have 35 but dog form gives me my bonus for cap), and assassins suit which is pricey. U dont need DCI. My smoke bombs and hp regen is my dci lol. Unless your squad knows where im at and has 4 flamestrikes primed and ready, im not going down. Idea is to appear, cause as much damage as possible in as little time as possible, then disappear.