• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nightmare in one

P

PzB74

This must be beginners luck!
- After tidling around in UO for a couple of weeks in my return to UO I found a Nightmare and drooled around it for some time.

With a few jewels modified taming was ca 98 but my vet sux and I didn't even have enough Honor for a single attempt.

So I got 4 Gamans, sent them agains the mare to suppress it a bit;
- this reduced it to 50-60% and slowed it down a bit and fireballs weren't too bad.

On my first attempt to tame it got angered; better so on the second attempt - after slowly leading it forwards it accepted me as master :thumbup1:

Guess this is what you call luck rolleyes:
Will stable her and train my other skills before starting to train it.
- Any advice for how to train a mare?

Also; is the mare still a potent and sought after mount in UO these days?

Attachments

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations! Are your NM's resists pretty good too?

I have been meaning to try taming a nightmare. Where did you tame yours?

P

PzB74

The rest of the stats are in the attached screens.
- Found the mare south of Umbra, marked with a yellow spot on the map attached.

Jewles truly makes it possible for noobs to tame high end creatures quickly.
In the old days it would take a lot of time to get taming up to 95+!

Attachments

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info. I've scouted that area before and saw one a little further east. More experienced tamers on this forum have told me the nightmare can spawn anywhere in the Corrupted Forest, so that's a lot of territory to cover.

Again, congrats on your nightmare!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Congratulations! Are your NM's resists pretty good too?

I have been meaning to try taming a nightmare. Where did you tame yours?
My favorite spot for taming nightmares is the Kirin Passage in Ilshenar. They spawn in the same spot so you don't have to go looking for them the downside is that it can take up 3-4 minutes for them to respawn.

Things to know about taming there.

1. Since it is in Ilshenar, you have to be ready in case a paragon nightmare spawns.

2. There is an acid elemental that spawns with the mare along with fire and earth elementals. If you kill them they will just respawn and get in your way again. The best thing to do is lead them away and then invis and head back so you only have to deal with the nightmare.

here is a link to the area http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=atlas&id=1091

You will see an area that looks like a horse, that is not the nightmare spawn area, that is where kirins spawn. You will find the nightmarea are adjecent to entrance E.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DreadLord,

Thanks for the info. I explored the Passage with my stealth tamer and managed to find the spot you mention below. Only bummer is the inability to recall in, but at least you don't have to search all over the Corrupted Forest to find the spawn.

Other folks have suggested Fel Covetous (think that's right) but I haven't checked that spot out yet.

My favorite spot for taming nightmares is the Kirin Passage in Ilshenar. They spawn in the same spot so you don't have to go looking for them the downside is that it can take up 3-4 minutes for them to respawn.

Things to know about taming there.

1. Since it is in Ilshenar, you have to be ready in case a paragon nightmare spawns.

2. There is an acid elemental that spawns with the mare along with fire and earth elementals. If you kill them they will just respawn and get in your way again. The best thing to do is lead them away and then invis and head back so you only have to deal with the nightmare.

here is a link to the area http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=atlas&id=1091

You will see an area that looks like a horse, that is not the nightmare spawn area, that is where kirins spawn. You will find the nightmarea are adjecent to entrance E.

P

PzB74

Tamed a second mare in much the same place.
- Died 3 times and was almost dead for the fourth time when the bugger finally got tired of being angry! rolleyes:

A bit higher stats on this one...

What would be the perfect targets and hunting grounds for a mare in order to train it and earn some much neede $$?

I truly like the thrill of taming; the constant danger of ending up in new linen verus the ever burning belief in success - no matter how bad the odds are!-)