• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nice to see activity yesterday

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually had a day off where I didn't have to anything to do, so what did I do...I played UO (the addiction is back damn you).

I was running around on my newbie character and training (up to 5 skills in RoT) and farming a little gold. I placed a nice little house to operate out of and even got chased around by a red. General chat seemed pretty busy too.

With that said, there really weren't that many folks visible (wait til my tracking and detect are trained up) in or out of town. Come on folks...do you really need to stealth around all day?

I am a little surprised that so many players have begun to rely on stealth as their way of protection. It used to be that crafters would farm, spend time running back and forth between the banks, but knowing that there would be a chance of player interaction.

COME ONE FOLKS!!!

Drop the stealth and come out of the shadows (I am not speaking as a thief here)...la

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so confused....

"Nice to see activity"
"there really weren't that many folks visible"

"Drop the stealth"
"I am not speaking as a thief here"

"la"

:rolleyes:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe we need to make a weekly no stealth, where we all try to be visible in as well as out of Towns, also when in our houses.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so confused....

"Nice to see activity"
"there really weren't that many folks visible"

"Drop the stealth"
"I am not speaking as a thief here"

"la"

:rolleyes:
I'm sorry you are so easily confused...la

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a guild that hunted with a detective on siege, I would be stealthed in ostard form and he would reveal me as a pack chased me, had to get out of form, smoke bomb and get in form, was pretty fun.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a guild that hunted with a detective on siege, I would be stealthed in ostard form and he would reveal me as a pack chased me, had to get out of form, smoke bomb and get in form, was pretty fun.
Why switch outta form to use the smoke bomb?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess it's the years of playing a thief that got me unworried about being visible. The only times I would ever stealth around was to target my mark and then hide until I could bank my loot.

Then again, in dungeon situations, I would stealth around the monsters I knew could 1 hit kill me :)...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do have a stealth, fencer, poison ninja template but it is on my soulstones. It was fun to try but I feel much better with my old school archer without any stealth or hiding. I still have a good mount if I have to flee and a good bow if I stay :)

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I cant even stand to stay stealthing 24/7 I love getting lost out in the middle of no where.. in order to do that you gotta run helter skelter!

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess it's the years of playing a thief that got me unworried about being visible. The only times I would ever stealth around was to target my mark and then hide until I could bank my loot.

Then again, in dungeon situations, I would stealth around the monsters I knew could 1 hit kill me :)...la
Yah. Those were the same exceptions I had been thinking of as well.

Necessary Stealthing is what the skill was designed for. I doubt that safe long distance travel was on the developers mind when they coded it. ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The question is, what would happen if stealth was nerfed, would people quit?
I would like stealth to changes so if you get close to a stealthy, you would be able to see him, maybe something like:
10+ tiles away, he would be invisible
4 to 9 tiles away, he would be a shadow, hard to see and overhead name and tag would not show, so he could hide behind a house or a large tree. You can't target him.
1 to 3 tiles away, he is still a shadow without tag but you can draw his status heal bar and see the name on that and attack the heal bar.
If you step on same tile, he will become visible and there will be a delay before he can hide again.

Now you really could have brigands hiding behind the trees and jump you on the road.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think the skill should be nerfed. I just would like to see fewer people use it.

I mean honestly, do crafters and material gatherers really need hide and stealth in their templates?

I get it for assassins, thieves and players trying to be sneaky...but it seems everyone has it these days...STOP IT!!!...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
A good thief do not need stealth, he need RP to make his victim believe he is anything else but a thief. I know that is hard, with a small community as we have here, but who said it should be easy to be a thief?

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A good thief do not need stealth, he need RP to make his victim believe he is anything else but a thief. I know that is hard, with a small community as we have here, but who said it should be easy to be a thief?
It would not make it harder. It would make it impossible especially when the reward is more often a few reagents or a pair of scissors.

And stealing from high end monsters would also be next to impossible.

I think that the lack of combat skills, points invested into 2 or three thief skills, should be more than enough sacrifice for a skill with almost no reward these days except for fun.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you kidding? ROFL. Guess you've never tried to stand next to another player on Siege.

I don't care if I have a Glorious Lord in front of my name and wearing a disguise kit, for the most part Siege players are damned smart when it comes to protecting themselves against thieves.

Let's just say that most don't stand still very long, no matter where they are, let alone at times when they know someone is in the same area.

I used to play a thief without Stealth (that changed after I hit 3 years and had an ethy in my pack). It was a different game back then.

Then again, I am not bringing stealth up as a thief (you did)...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was kidding, wanted to see your reaction when it was you, who would be without stealth :devil:

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry you are so easily confused...la

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:)… It appears you are surprised that other players are taking advantage of hiding and stealth (which is over powered on Siege). Seems to me that the crafters and material gatherers (not supporting a full PvP templates) are just using some of the same tactics used by your own template to avoid ill events.

Most of the hiding/stealth discussions have been around a long time (example below). Both sides have valid points. Both sides with leverage templates as need to their advantage.
http://community.stratics.com/threads/a-good-idea-for-siege.117419/

So… Are you disappointed in the loss of potential victims or do you have suggestions to make game play better? Not that we can really change anything, but it is fun to explore ideas. As for being confused, a thief complaining about everyone else using hiding/stealth is confusing and rather entertaining.

My two cents… Siege was to be a more difficult and challenging shared for UO veterans. For a moment, just imagine what the shared would be like if stealth was totally removed from the available skills on Siege. Aside from freeing up an extra soulstone in my inventory, it would add an extra dimension (risk) to Siege, as well as, increase the visibility of players.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So… Are you disappointed in the loss of potential victims or do you have suggestions to make game play better? Not that we can really change anything, but it is fun to explore ideas. As for being confused, a thief complaining about everyone else using hiding/stealth is confusing and rather entertaining.
That's quite alright, however as I mentioned in my post. The character I am playing doesn't have stealing or snooping in his template.

So I'll spell it out for you...this comment is coming not from a thief...la

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"..So I'll spell it out for you...this comment is coming not from a thief...la.."

Fair enough... So I'll spell it out for you now... Eliminate Stealth

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"..So I'll spell it out for you...this comment is coming not from a thief...la.."

No need for the developers to do that. That's something that can be done by players...drop the skill...*presto*

If the developers were to do anything, I'd rather see them make it like the production shards where its tough not to be revealed. Or take it back to the way it used to be, no insta stealth, give it an 8 second timer and require the user to hit the stealth skill to use it after your max steps...la

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Necessary Stealthing is what the skill was designed for. I doubt that safe long distance travel was on the developers mind when they coded it. ;)
I don't think people really stealth long distances. I run stealth on my main template probably 70% of the time as a stealth tamer and previously as a faction thief. I have never travelled a long distance stealthed. Not even with a sigil! I use it to escape, then run to where ever my destination is. I rarely even stealth through dungeons. I might for a short distance if I need to, but 9 out of 10 times I'm running through like my pants are on fire. I really have a hard time believing that is whats happening here.

I think its far more likely that people simply use other means to get around. Don't forget that we have house teleporters and some of us have a pretty serious setup of teleporters that can get us all over the shard. I refer to our guild's setup as "the underground railroad". The hub in East Umbra is pretty helpful and most players also have access to crystal and corrupted portals that will bounce us to banks and most dungeons. I think visible traffic is pretty much a thing of the past.

As a side note, if we were to come up with a list of changes to improve our shard in an attempt to make it more of what it was intended to be to begin with, removal of the portals, house tele tiles and city moongates [luna/umbra] would be on my list of things to remove. Part of what made Siege fun for me for many years was having to endure the element of danger at all times. Those methods of transportation have eliminated a lot of that. Travelling in complete safety shouldn't be happening on Siege. Its convenient, for sure, but its not in the spirit of Siege Perilous, IMO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run stealth on my thief and on my tamer mainly for loring high end critters before taming them. As far as getting around my island hub lets me go to just about any region instantly. JUst thinking about walking a trade delivery from Trinsic to yew or minoc stealthed is painful, its a long enough trip at a dead gallop.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Rico - That's something that can be done by players...drop the skill...*presto*" Not everyone will comply

"Rico - I'd rather see them make it like the production shards where its tough not to be revealed" With passive detect, production is currently harder

"Rico - Or take it back to the way it used to be, no insta stealth, give it an 8 second timer and require the user to hit the stealth skill to use it after your max steps" Agree

"Tyrath - walking a trade delivery..." I usually web surf the forums in another window while doing them (visible - no stealth) to drive up the reward for the city. More attacks = more gold. I also usually don't take a direct path snooping areas I long forgot. Nice 18x18 spot available by a mountain if anyone is interested. :)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For what purpose? To make people stop hiding or to make PvP easier or exterminate Thieves?

I believe the OT was about people not socializing with each other because they're all stealthed. And had nothing to do with individuals frustration with stealthers besides the inability to say "Hi"

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Damn theevis.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For what purpose? To make people stop hiding or to make PvP easier or exterminate Thieves?

I believe the OT was about people not socializing with each other because they're all stealthed. And had nothing to do with individuals frustration with stealthers besides the inability to say "Hi"
For what purpose... To bring some life and excitement to Siege. To draw people away from the production shards with something new. Use your imagination, what would a shard look like without stealth. How would the templates evolve. I never said to eliminate hiding - leave hiding like it was when the game came out. For Siege, I even like Kat's idea of eliminating all teleporters, moongates, as well as, the gate spell to give land and sea travel more meaning and open up templates. (they should also eliminate event blessed items, vet blessed robes, or any other blessed items that give an advantage over someone coming to the shard - establish a trade-in vendor for the old items, but that is another thread)

to make PvP easier... I'm currently one of players that uses hiding and stealth farm the items I need to build my character. So I would have to modify my template and play style too if changes were made.

or exterminate Thieves... Some of the better Thiefs I ran across in the original UO days would disarm you in battle and steal your weapon, then kill you with it. Others would steal your regs (before lrc) or potions while fighting. Things would evolve.

I believe the OT was about... Maybe so, but I am not frustrated with stealthers. I'll stealth around and continue doing what I have been doing since stealth came out (couldn't run in stealth mode either). You don't need to see me for me to say "Hi". I can do that in today's Chat. So if the real OT is about interaction in the game, stealth is not helping the game or a share with this rule set. If Siege truly is for vets that want more of original game's feel and additional challenges beyond that of a normal production shard, the rule set should be open for modification.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need for the developers to do that. That's something that can be done by players...drop the skill...*presto*

If the developers were to do anything, I'd rather see them make it like the production shards where its tough not to be revealed. Or take it back to the way it used to be, no insta stealth, give it an 8 second timer and require the user to hit the stealth skill to use it after your max steps...la
I'd like to see tracking, detect hidden, and forensics all rolled into one skill. That way it wouldn't be such a big deal to add the one skill to your template. To balance it out have 100 hiding/120 stealth be hard to track, vs 100 of this new skill, while 100/80 would be easy, scale from there.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For what purpose... To bring some life and excitement to Siege. To draw people away from the production shards with something new. Use your imagination, what would a shard look like without stealth. How would the templates evolve. I never said to eliminate hiding - leave hiding like it was when the game came out. For Siege, I even like Kat's idea of eliminating all teleporters, moongates, as well as, the gate spell to give land and sea travel more meaning and open up templates. (they should also eliminate event blessed items, vet blessed robes, or any other blessed items that give an advantage over someone coming to the shard - establish a trade-in vendor for the old items, but that is another thread)

to make PvP easier... I'm currently one of players that uses hiding and stealth farm the items I need to build my character. So I would have to modify my template and play style too if changes were made.

or exterminate Thieves... Some of the better Thiefs I ran across in the original UO days would disarm you in battle and steal your weapon, then kill you with it. Others would steal your regs (before lrc) or potions while fighting. Things would evolve.

I believe the OT was about... Maybe so, but I am not frustrated with stealthers. I'll stealth around and continue doing what I have been doing since stealth came out (couldn't run in stealth mode either). You don't need to see me for me to say "Hi". I can do that in today's Chat. So if the real OT is about interaction in the game, stealth is not helping the game or a share with this rule set. If Siege truly is for vets that want more of original game's feel and additional challenges beyond that of a normal production shard, the rule set should be open for modification.
Meh... I think eliminating a useful skill is overkill, modify it sure, but don't remove it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other idea, have moving in stealth drain stamina rapidly scaled by skill. When you run out of stamina you cant move. So you either sit and wait for stam (making yourself vulnerable if you have been noticed) or unhide to replenish stam or run.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other idea, have moving in stealth drain stamina rapidly scaled by skill. When you run out of stamina you cant move. So you either sit and wait for stam (making yourself vulnerable if you have been noticed) or unhide to replenish stam or run.
I have always wondered why stealth was a zero cost skill. The stamina drain is a good idea. Focus would become a even more valuable skill than it is. I would add performing any action while hidden drains stamina. It would take quite a bit of attention and focus to remian hidden in the middle of luna bank while making furniture :) Could go as far as to make it so that the more people with in a certain number of tiles increases the chances of being revealed. When stam hits zero well the stealther/hider is vulnerable. Would probably take a boat load of coding and formulas to get a fair and workable stealth system like that hammered out though.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stop picking on stealth! *hugs stealth* Stealth isn't The Problem, if it is A problem, train up track/detect. The only trouble I have with finding people is that I have to search 5 facets for the 15 people that play here. So blame it on too much space or low pop, but leave my hide and seek alone please.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the same note that Ru is referring to. The problem isn't with the skill. Its with the people who choose to use it as a tool to be anti-social.

With the exception of gen chat; Siege has become a server full of hermits that hide from any sort of interaction that doesn't involve a reward of some sort.

Everybody's first instinct is to change the game mechanics in order to modify the community's behavior. That doesn't work. Not in a game or in real life.

Anyways, it's a huge server with a handful of people sharing it. I don't understand the need to hide as there really isn't the threat of roaming muderers any more. I have stealth and I use it for everything except hiding from other players.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As a non combat player on siege, stealth is the ONLY way I can get into dungeons for lockpicking without dying. If I could recall to rooms in dungeons and recall out, then sure, screw stealth. But this is siege, we can't recall for a reason. So until I look less tasty to a hungry Dragon, I'll keep my stealth, thanks! :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a non combat player on siege, stealth is the ONLY way I can get into dungeons for lockpicking without dying. If I could recall to rooms in dungeons and recall out, then sure, screw stealth. But this is siege, we can't recall for a reason. So until I look less tasty to a hungry Dragon, I'll keep my stealth, thanks! :)
I get this reasoning...that is completely understandable, however the bulk of players aren't treasure hunters. I guess stealth and hiding has become the best way for people to protect their loot before it gets put in the bank.

I did notice a few people out and about in the open yesterday which was nice. Too bad for the poor soul that was getting fully looted by a red tamer...la

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok most of the time I have hide/stealth on, mainly because I go places that without it, I would die rather quickly. But when I'm doing things like trader quests, I stealth in the slow parts like it town, but i'm hauling ass running to the destinations. I was just talking with Katt last night about the new fights taking place at the arena and i'm thinking of participating even though I'm horrible under pressure, but I would of course remove those skills from my template. I think those that don't run hide/stealth are just unhappy because the pickings are slim or they're hard to come by. If it's killing you want, why don't we just set up a human sheep pen for you once every other week. Players can simply stand there in the open and you can slaughter them at will. I can't believe you're now once again trying to force PvP interaction upon people who have don't want it forced on them. Stay home or die is pretty much what you're telling crafters. By the way if you want to have stealth nerfed with some kind of stamina loss, balance the equation and get spells like the area affect of EQ tightened up some too. .02

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't know about you guys, but full PVP builds can't really afford stealth and hiding unless it's a ninja build.

We just need more full time PVPers here. And I would love to do that myself, if I had more gametime. Until I finish my house (been working on it for years now), I'm still inactive.

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The Pvp fights were extremely fun... but I was soooo nervous! I felt like I was going to have a heart attack after all the duels.. and my hands were so shaky lol :p im such a dork!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't believe you're now once again trying to force PvP interaction upon people who have don't want it forced on them. Stay home or die is pretty much what you're telling crafters. By the way if you want to have stealth nerfed with some kind of stamina loss, balance the equation and get spells like the area affect of EQ tightened up some too. .02
Glad you misinterpreted my post.

By the way, it's just a matter of how the shard used to be and how I'd love to see it change back to that way. There used to be a lot of player interaction in and out of town. Sure there was plenty of killing going on, but at this point, most of the interaction comes from General Chat Sitting.

As I have stated numerous times, it's not about finding marks, I don't need someone to be visible to find them with tracking and detect, but at the same time...it's not like I spend all of my in-game time playing a thief...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Pvp fights were extremely fun... but I was soooo nervous! I felt like I was going to have a heart attack after all the duels.. and my hands were so shaky lol :p im such a dork!
Not a dork at all. It's why I have always played a thief. The rush you get when getting involved in stealing and trying to get away from another player with their loot is exhilarating...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a dork at all. But, there is a bigger thrill yet to come. After you have practiced a lot there will be a day when you give a worthy opponent a real run for their money. I recall a duel against my nemesis that wound up a stalemate and only ended because the duel was raided. Best feeling evah!

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Not a dork at all. But, there is a bigger thrill yet to come. After you have practiced a lot there will be a day when you give a worthy opponent a real run for their money. I recall a duel against my nemesis that wound up a stalemate and only ended because the duel was raided. Best feeling evah!
Im practicing hard and learning.. Im proud of myself for what I have accomplished so far. It may not be much but it is a start for me :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You are doing great, just don't panic if attacked of someone you don't know

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are doing great, just don't panic if attacked of someone you don't know
I just had a extremely long duel with White Witch we dueled for probably a good 20 to 30 minutes I ran out of tithing points and died lol! By the end of it my heart was thumping like crazy.. so gonna take a break for an hour or two

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glad you misinterpreted my post.

By the way, it's just a matter of how the shard used to be and how I'd love to see it change back to that way. There used to be a lot of player interaction in and out of town. Sure there was plenty of killing going on, but at this point, most of the interaction comes from General Chat Sitting.

As I have stated numerous times, it's not about finding marks, I don't need someone to be visible to find them with tracking and detect, but at the same time...it's not like I spend all of my in-game time playing a thief...la
My "you" statement wasn't directed at you personally.