Next Patch Notes Posted - What it Means for Epic Factions Event

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

As I am sure many have seen, there is not a single mention of factions in the patch notes up on UO.com. I think it is safe to say that the there will be no Faction related changes this publish (but I will seek confirmation).

There is no way the event can be delayed until yet another publish. At the moment the only option will be to see how many would agree to putting characters in side guilds. Unfortunatly for several reasons this is not going to be nearly as great as if the changes were made. But we will have to make do. More will be posted about this soon.

Perhaps there is still a chance for this publish however. If you really want to see this event go on as was originally planned and to improve factions in general, I suggest making it known by posting on the U Hall. There was a lot of talk early on but not much lately. If the developers still see a lot of interest in this event it might happen.

I

imported_Cardell

<blockquote><hr>

As I am sure many have seen, there is not a single mention of factions in the patch notes up on UO.com. I think it is safe to say that the there will be no Faction related changes this publish (but I will seek confirmation).

There is no way the event can be delayed until yet another publish. At the moment the only option will be to see how many would agree to putting characters in side guilds. Unfortunatly for several reasons this is not going to be nearly as great as if the changes were made. But we will have to make do. More will be posted about this soon.

Perhaps there is still a chance for this publish however. If you really want to see this event go on as was originally planned and to improve factions in general, I suggest making it known by posting on the U Hall. There was a lot of talk early on but not much lately. If the developers still see a lot of interest in this event it might happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. You will only be allowed to join factions on one character like all of the other guilds currently in factions and this is going to ruin the event? The only thing ruining this event is building it up and then pushing back the dates. Who ever doesn't want to join wont, and who ever does.. will. Once the factions are booming more will join like always.

G

By not being able to put our entire guild in we are going to be split into two different sets of PVP groups instead of only Factions. Instead of playing every night on our faction characters it will always be a choice between the two. If we try to raid a champion spawn for example, it is probably always going to be on our non-faction characters. It would have been great to just login and do all the usual stuff plus factions. But now it will be a pain to switch characters all the time.

G

Ohh oh I'm getting out the violins. So much work! Switching characters, oh my aching head! meh, factions is fine the way it is. systems don't kill games, players do...

G

Another issue will be having thieves available to steal sigils. Eight years ago you could fit stealing on your PVP character. Today that is impossible. We would probably have no thieves online most of the day, greatly discouraging trying to go after any sigils.

G

Gilthas0130

faction system is dead,
get use to it ,they'll never change it for a few player unless there is a great demand .

At this time there's none
Due to low populations of players in factions.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Another issue will be having thieves available to steal sigils. Eight years ago you could fit stealing on your PVP character. Today that is impossible. We would probably have no thieves online most of the day, greatly discouraging trying to go after any sigils.

[/ QUOTE ]

JC, no disrespect intended here, but it sounds like your guild is large and your comment above also makes me think it consists almost entirely of people living on the U.S. east coast.

If this event draws people from Europe and the U.S. west coast and they join the other factions with their thieves, don't you think that's going to give your guild some excitement to log on after work and find out that there's a battle waiting for them? "Time to go get the sigils, folks!!"

Also, if you're worried that one particular faction is going to be able to grab those sigils mid-day on a weekday and hold them successfully for ten hours, I can tell you now that is NOT going to happen. Those sigils will be bouncing back and forth all day long, with the thieves from the various factions laughing at each other as they constantly keep them refreshed and as they pass each other running in and out of the bases. All they want to do is keep those things refreshed until their group can get on and try to defend, which is most likely to occur in the evening.

Also, I would be truly surprised if you don't have at least a handful of people in your guild who would be willing to make thieves and even a few of them that don't work the typical 8-4, 9-5 M-F schedule.

Yes, it does occasionally happen that some faction actually manages to pull off a mid-week 10-hour guarding session during the day, but if we get that many people playing in factions on Atlantic, anyone who does try it isn't going to have an easy time of it. I suspect some of the players from Siege and Great Lakes who've been making characters on Atlantic may have work schedules that might let them make an attempt at a mid-week, mid-day grab for sigils, but I also think this event will draw in a lot of the extremely talented and persistent thieves that I know play in factions and who absolutely delight in mucking up those kinds of plans.

JC, you guys should just make the decision to create an allied faction guild and encourage those who are interested to join it, even if the characters aren't their very best characters. Yes, maybe let's delay this a little bit longer if you think it's necessary....I sure wouldn't argue with waiting another month for this. Let's play this up some more in U.Hall, advise people about the 30 day wait to get in, and let's just go for it. Set a date or something....maybe May 15th or something like that. Then promote the heck out of it and let's do it. If we happen to get some faction-related changes by then, we just roll with it. As others have pointed out, GL has a very active factions scene in spite of the existing rules. I think Atlantic did too not so long ago. So yes, I think it's very doable for this to happen on Atlantic. Just don't expect it to be neat, clean, tidy, and orderly and for things to happen every day on a schedule. The thieves will guarantee that won't happen and everyone will end up having a crazy good time.

Edited to add the following:

JC, something else that I think has been on your mind is the situation with the TB and COM bases, i.e., reluctance for folks to cross-heal their red mates, pulling the town guards into the fight, funky trap arrangements, etc. I won't argue that those aren't issues. But I would like to point out that there are still people in the game who just see these as extra challenges to overcome on the path to having a good time. So what if we end up with a situation where a strong guild takes control of TB or COM and also manages to steal those towns? There's absolutely nothing that says the other factions can't make a temporary truce and trounce the heck out of the TB or COM guys. I distinctly remember that happening to my guild on GL a year ago....I think we got a bit ****y about defending that TB base and one Sunday SL and Minax joined forces and pretty soon we were locked out of our base. No one got mad, no one stomped off in a huff. We were laughing about it in Vent and I'm sure the other guys were having a good time of it too. I still have screenshots of it and smile every time I look at them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If this event draws people from Europe and the U.S. west coast and they join the other factions with their thieves, don't you think that's going to give your guild some excitement to log on after work and find out that there's a battle waiting for them? "Time to go get the sigils, folks!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to be one of our main faction thieves and I planned on having my thief participate. But that won't be possible because I have to put in a PVP character. There is only one other person I know of in our guild who could possibly put in a dedicated thief. So at the moment we would be depending on a single person to steal sigils. The state of UO has caused many to close down their extra accounts and stick with one only. So we could have 8-10 people ready to fight for some sigils but no one to steal them.

I am going to try and see what we can do. But it is probably going to end up disappointing many people because it won't be as big and the 10 day duration will make it seem insignificant.

C

Clx-

Lesson learnt, don't let JC organise events any time soon^^

I do like your reasoning. You'll only start the event once the dev team changes the whole faction system to suit your guild.

Being serious though, it was pretty stupid to give a rough date in the first place if you had no plans on launching the event without faction changes, when you know as well as I do that we won't see anything before the end of 2008, if at all.

People from other shards aren't going to be ready to motivate themselves for a second time(me included) if this event does actually get off the ground. A shame.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I do like your reasoning. You'll only start the event once the dev team changes the whole faction system to suit your guild.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since day one it was clearly outlined the series of steps that had to occur before this event count proceed. Here let me post them for you:

1) HOT decides to do factions (but only if the developers make the change)
2) We ask LNR to join us (if LNR does not commit then it ends here)
3) LNR accepts, we announce our plan to everyone so they can add their commitments (20X, COW, etc.)
4) I explain to the developers our plan and that in order for us to join they have to make a couple changes (remove character restriction and auto-boot mechanisms).

If this plan was still being followed we would only be at step 1. I have modified this plan several times and worked hard to approve the changes in our guild. I went ahead with the event even though LNR has refused to take part. I'm sorry if it didn't work out for everyone, but it was completely out of my hands. The developers said in the UOHOC chat that they would be looking into making some faction changes. There are none in this publish so once again I have to modify the event plan, get approval from HOT guild and then alert everyone else what is going to happen.

If you want to blame anyone then it should be LNR and their leadership. This event was always focused around the two biggest Atlantic PVP guilds duking it out in factions with everyone else who wanted to join. It wasn't about making changes for one guild, it was so that an entire shard could hold a spectacular event.

C

Clx-

Relax, I understand the situation you're in. The mistake you made was giving a date in the first place, however 'rough' when it was dependant on so much happening beforehand.

I

imported_Cardell

I refuse to believe that a 300 man guild cannot muster up more than 1 dedicated thief. Either way, it shouldnt be that much of a problem with your numbers. Especially since all you need is 20 stealing on any character and carry 15 steal brac, 15 ring, burglers bandana, and shadow dancer leggings. (which brings you to 80. No one in my guild was a thief until they joined factions.

I

imported_Tina Small

JC, which faction is your guild planning to join? Perhaps there are already people with thief characters also planning on being in that faction.

D

Drunk'n Masta

6 players that i know including myself have moved and/or created charicters on atlantic primarily for this faction event. There has been alot of talk about this on every shard. Change in publish or not, you might be rather surprised with how many ppl are looking forward to this.

How many faction members can you fit in a 8x8 house?

G

<blockquote><hr>

JC, which faction is your guild planning to join? Perhaps there are already people with thief characters also planning on being in that faction.

[/ QUOTE ]
This will most likely be decided this coming Sunday night.

I

imported_Cardell

<blockquote><hr>

6 players that i know including myself have moved and/or created charicters on atlantic primarily for this faction event. There has been alot of talk about this on every shard. Change in publish or not, you might be rather surprised with how many ppl are looking forward to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i ran into 3 folks that haven't played in 4 years who just reactivated accounts to participate.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Netherlands
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I spent around 100m on gear to get my PvP char ready. As soon as the date is announced I'll xshard to Atl from EU

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2003
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with JC on but a spare account will take care of that problem and I'm sure you won't have a problem converting all your dismount stealthers into thieves.

Either way, HOT's commitment to faction should be decided on a personal level and not forced upon...

C

Crystilastmous

Thief easy to do...... REALLY easy to do.... in fact Chewie can probably make one, and a character that will x heal and dismount for it. All while playing his tamer.

Link = Stalling