• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] The High Sea Fishing Adventure!

S

Shiel

Ahoy there, me Hearties!

Shiver me Timbers!

Crossing to my sister for this week's report as this is much more in her line of work than mine.. meet Teryane, umm.. she says she is a pirate.. and a fisherwoman to boot!

Hiya Everybody! Ive never really written a news report although I have good credentials..

I studied in Vesper with the mages you know *nods seriously* until the sea called to me..
Anyway.. on with the story!

It was a beautiful clear day, simply perfect for anything on the water!
and yet here we were sitting in the guard room watching one of those green robed.. gnomes.. it seems..

Stinky places guard rooms.. all that smelly metal armour and oil!
*wrinkles her nose in distaste*
Anyway, the gnomes had us line up against the West wall (after a short break where we worked out which was the West wall..) we complied willingly.

They explained to us we were going fishing! Since this is one of my favourite passtimes I realised why Shiel wanted me to take this assignment. The gnomes said the sea was a dangerous place.. good thing Peter was along with his big dragon to help! He doesn't fish he says, so I was glad he would be able to help his boat with their defence. Some of those serpents can get nasty.

We all piled outside and waited for the female gnome to cast a gate to where the boats awaited us. She took a little while but managed to find her rune and cast us a gate to Britain docks. We all ran around to the boats they had placed out for us and they explained
the rules.

We had ninety minutes to catch some big fish. The heaviest and the lightest would be made into trophies to hang in the rewards hall in Malas (as an aside, there is a gate to the rewards hall next to the Moderator's Hall in Britain - make sure you can get back.. it is a one way affair).

They had wonderful names for their boats too!
There was the "Scuba-Doo", the "Aquadisiac", the "Avid Angler", the "Lottawotta", the "Fishin' Magician", the "Wet Ev Oar"and the "Let's get Naughty-Cal" to name a few.
We were slow to set off but when we realised we had all the instructions we needed we all piled aboard the boats and off we went! Zephre and Melodi were my shipmates for this voyage.. Melodi captained the boat and gave the tillerman his orders, while Zeph and I stood on the two gangplanks to fish.

First thing that happened - we were stopped by Peter's boat! They were going to fire on us so it seemed!

We were honest in our response to that.. we didn't have any cannons! We might have to remember to bring some next time...

Then they had the temerity to board us! The nerve!! However, it seemed like a piratical thing to do, so we decided we would look out for other people on our travels too.

The next person we happened across was Captain Jack Sparrow Jr. fishing from the side of the boat! We were just about to arrange a boarding party when we were surrounded by serpents!

We went on our way after dispatching the serpents. The next person to appear was one of those gnomes himself! This time sporting a pirate hat, doublet and boots. Melodi seems really attached to his lantern.. you'd better guard it well gnome!

As we continued, we decided it was a beautiful day. Melodi and I were a little envious of Zeph's skill however, or maybe it was just his day! All of these serpents were his catch!
We were struggling to find anything!

We also managed to help a fellow fisherman in distress.. Jedisith Chewie had fallen afoul of a serpent himself it seems. We ressed the poor fellow and went on our way.

Things were not all smooth sailing.. during the course of the afternoon we ran into strange never before seen beasties of the deeps! Pictured below are the Rogue mermaid, Slimy Sucking Seaweed and a Rabid Sea Sprite we encountered on our travels.

When our time was up, the gnomes met us at the dock. We all lined up as requested, proudly displaying our catch if we caught anything.. I could see several people bearing large fish.. but I had no luck today, managing just one white pearl in all that time! Zephre had two big fish, however, so we were hoping he would win his trophy.

The people vying for the heaviest fish were asked to step forward and display their catch to the gnomes. Three of us, from top to bottom... Zephre, Jack Sparrow Jr. and yo mama stepped forward to display their catch.

Zeph's fish we knew was a massive 124 stones! We anxiously awaited the verdict. The gnome took his fish and moved on to Captain Jack Sparrow Jr... whose fish weighed in just a few pounds heavier at 127 stones! yo mama's fish looked smaller in comparison (as it had been accidently cut up...) so did not get weighed.

~~CONGRATULATIONS TO JACK SPARROW JR!!~~
~~~~WINNER OF THE HEAVIEST FISH~~~​

Before the presentation of the lightest fish to the judges, I was distracted by the late arrival of Durnick on the "Seas the Day".

Zephre again proudly stepped forward, as did JediSith Chewie! There were mutters from our boat.. we did rescue him after all! Was he now going to take the prize?

Zephre handed in his 15 stone fish and awaited the response from the gnome in the pirate hat and carrying the lantern that Melodi was eyeing hungrily. Jedisith Chewie handed in a 13 stone fish!

~~CONGRATULATIONS JEDISITH CHEWIE!!~~
~~~WINNER OF THE LIGHTEST FISH~~~​

The event concluded with a trip to the rewards hall for those who had not seen it. The trophies will be placed in days to come. Back to Shiel for a wrap up...

Thank you Teryane for your coverage!
I hope the Event Moderator's don't object to being called "gnomes"
*frowns at her younger sister*

If anyone else has screenshots of this event (as Tery was only on one boat so there are others who may have more to report) please add them below and tell your tales :)

It sounds like a fun time was had by all.. especially Tery anyway.

Stay tuned for the next exciting event in the Oceanic calendar!

Shiel.