• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News]Spotlight On EM Drosselmeyer

M

Merik

Spotlight On EM Drosselmeyer
Sosarian Bureau of Investigations
Sunday, June 27, 2010
By: Merik

EM Drosselmeyer sat in what appeared to be an empty room that was pitch black and cold. The sound of a door opening echoed in the darkness along with the sound of Sandals, boots and platemail. A light turned on directly in front of Drosselmeyer, revealing a table in front of him. A folder was thrown onto the table and questions began to be shouted at EM Drosselmeyer!!!

"Where is Jimmy Hoffa?""Did you assist the Kennedys?""Were you in California on August 5th 1962?"

Special Agent Merik slammed his right hand down on the table.

"This is EM Drosselmeyer! Were here to question him about Ultima Online and being a Event Moderator."

The lights were turned on and the players of Chesapeake pulled out their notepads, full of wonderful questions.

Let us start off with a classic question. When did you start playing Ultima Online?

Well, I and a friend had first loaded up the game in the first year, and we went around town trying to talk to people until this nice fellow came over and said if we just followed him, he’d show us something neat! So we did, only to be led out of town and murdered by the waiting reds. I started playing in earnest in late 1999, early 2000.

How were you introduced to Ultima Online? (Sent in by Lycan)
The previous question answered this, but the way I truly remember being introduced to the game as a whole was once I found my first guild and they showed me how to do things, and was brought into the community.

What are some of your favorite things to do in game as a player?
Depending on time restraints, I tend to either do house decoration, champion spawning, roleplaying, or just item/money grinding, though that last one is my least favorite. Out of all my favorite activity will always be exploring and learning new things about the world, especially finding areas that seem to be ‘forgotten’ to the majority.

What drew your interest to the EM program? (Sent in by Nexus)
I have always thought myself to have a bit of a flair for the dramatic, as well as fancying that I could tell a decent story, and on top of that I have a love of the world of Ultima Online that has kept me here for over a decade now, and I had always wanted to be a volunteer to give back to the community. When the EM program came up, I knew it was something I would love to be a part of.

When learning you would be assigned to Chesapeake what was your initial reaction? Did you know much about the shard at that time?
Well, I was very glad I was assigned to a shard that’s in my own time zone, that’s for sure. I didn’t know very much about Chesapeake, but as soon as I was told, I did all the research I could before being unleashed upon an unsuspecting world.

How did you come up with the name Drosselmeyer? Nutcracker? Racehorse? Something else? (Sent in by Wildstar)
I fear that the secrets of my name must remain a secret, but there are influences. I have had one player get very, very close to guessing, but I won’t spoil it by saying who…

wot you want us to calls yoo? yoo name to long for goblins (Sent in by Ozog Giantfart)
Dross is fine if you don’t want to type the whole thing.

Now that you are here what is your overall impression of the Chesapeake community?
I’m very pleased with the community, and it seems to be one where most of the people want to try and work together, even when they’re killing each other. There’s a lot of great people on Chesapeake, and the more people I meet, the more great people I know.

What are your favorite types of RP and regular events to create?
Roleplay wise, I don’t think I can pigeonhole myself into any single type of scenario, though I believe that all good stories must have conflict, and that’s always a goal. I also believe that our actions, whether good or bad, have consequences that are completely unknowable and often unpredictable, but once they occur, make sense. As for events, I want people to have fun, but I also want people to have a reason to come out time and again, and the biggest reason should be the story, and the main idea here is that YOU, the players, are what make this story. It’s your actions and reactions, your decisions and choices that make YOUR shard.

Many players seem to enjoy EM Event items. Some players like the items for museums, keepsakes, or to make a profit. What kind of EM Event Items do you like to create for players to obtain?
Personally, I’ve always been a fan of museums, but I prefer the ones that tell stories, instead of say ‘Look at me! I’m rare!’. With items, I strive to try and create a balance of things that could be used as a memento to help elaborate on a story, things that could be used outside of the single event they come from to expand on other stories, or things that could help to give ideas to players for their use aside from selling them. Although I do think that rares traders are a viable playstyle, it is always nice to see that storycentric items stay where the story is.

For the last several months, townships have been one of the major focuses on the shard. In general what are some great things you have seen them doing? And what do you feel should be focused on more?
Ah, Townships! You make lovely targe…I mean, places to visit! The greatest thing I have seen the townships do is communicate with each other. When monsters start to attack, even on a small scale, the reaction is much like you would see from a real militia; the initial ready troops, followed by reinforcements, and eventually heavy cavalry. The speed of the mounting of defenses is great, and I do love the player built hubs as well. As for things that should be focused on more, I’d have to say that at the current time I haven’t seen anything that jumped out at me as needing improvement.

What kind of impact would you like to have on the PVP community; and how do you plan to go about it? (Sent in by Lox) *High Five*
I’d like to show people that Felucca is a great place, and especially for storytelling. On Chesapeake we seem to have a large number of very cordial players, even when they’re killing each other. For the most part, I want the PvP community to help work with myself and EM Dudley as we bring you events in Felucca, and how to better them. I want most of all for those there to be reticent to our events, and the more we’re able to organize and set up without absolute event breaking disruptions, the better. Don’t get me wrong though, this is Felucca, and there is expected bloodshed. *grin*

Do you side with the bane forces and their unknown agenda or with the known ophidians (Sent in by Ryo-Ohki)
I’m undecided, as those nasty Ophidians were doing something with those bizarre Hybrids, and they’ve long been a menace…but the Bane Chosen are a completely unknown quantity, and they say the devil you know…

When would you like to learn how to brew Savage Ale? (Sent in by Greyylene)
Well, I don’t fancy myself much of a beer baron, but if you catch me around just ask if I have time!

How come wrong numbers are never busy? (Sent in by Nexus)
I believe this is because of Murphy’s Secondary Law, which is that if it can be awkward, it will be awkward.

How creative are you with coming up with ideas for community event story lines? (Sent in by Cheever)
I’d like to think I’m fairly creative, but I have to give major credit to my colleague EM Dudley. We work together on our storylines in order to bring you a stronger and more united collective effort that we could not achieve on our own. We hope to dazzle you and keep you on your toes.

What sets you apart from all the other EMs? What will you bring to Chessy (Sent in by Ransom)
My snazzy robe? Oh wait…My hairstyle? Darn it! Uhh….To answer the question, I’d like to say something impressive, like my ability to tell a story or the excitement I have to be part of the EM program, but all of the EM’s are wonderful and we all have strengths and weaknesses. I’d like to say my personal strength is being able to adapt and improvise whenever necessary. As for what I’ll bring to Chesapeake, I’m hoping to assist EM Dudley in bringing you tales of daring, danger, death defiance, deviousness, and devilishness; stories that will enthrall and capture your imagination, and drag you into their iterations; events that get you involved in ways you never thought you would be; and most of all, a fun and entertaining ride on this crazy coaster we call Ultima Online. Buckle your seat belts and hang on, because there will be rough patches. See you in game!

Thank you EM Drosselmeyer for taking the time to answer our questions!

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great interview! Hope you are enjoying chesapeake Dross :thumbup1:

*High Five*

PS: I need a high five pic with you for my sig as well! Gareth; make it happen!