• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Services Required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lair Spirit

Shortly before the Oceania Cross Country event on the weekend I gated a new friend to Lady Jaine's Zoo because he had never seen a dingo before.

Upon our arrival was a red book.</p> <center>
</center>

Written within were these words: </p> <blockquote> Services Required :
<center>While it is wonderful that I have a zoo out here, I have need of the services of an architect of the realm to design for me a homestead to be situated here at this site.

Full credit will be awarded to the designer of the finished house.

The block is to be an 18x18 houseplot.

Internal and external features will be considered in the judging of all submitted designs.

Finished products to be submitted to Stratics for my perusal. Entries to be received no later than 2nd September 2006.</center>

Signed
Jaine the Noble. </blockquote>

Pictures I suppose are to be posted. Perhaps in response to this? Get your "Better Gnomes and Barrows" mags out and get designing!</p> ~ Lair Spirit

G

GeneratorII

Yeah...more info.

Can we enter more than one style?

Just pictures, or does the finished and selected house need to remain standing for inspection purposes?

Does the house need to be functional, or purely decorative?

Does it need to be decorated with basic household items for the sake of the competition?

Where is it going to be placed?

On Terra Sanctum near the zoo?

On grass? I mean, the LL is a placement nightmare, no wonder they never allowed house placement there, the ground is so uneven. Notice one of the water troughs at the zoo is borked?

How about some info on Jaine? What are her tastes regarding homes? Does she prefer wooden to marble? Stone to rock? Im not gonna spend a week designing a home only to have it poo-poo'd because of the door styles.

P.S. Im not trying to sound whiny, I think this is an _excellent_ idea, I just want to get it right.

T

Tasar

Ok i guess i'll be the first to post thier design ideas. bare with me it's just before 5am and i worked on this all night

This is the ground floor which includes a large open fire place a nice soft and cozy couch. A sitting room where Jaine can read her books and a large mistress bedroom. If you notice behide the staircase is a nice throne room.

The large open plan first floor include a moden kitchen with running water, stove and breakfast bench. A workstation where Jaine can write her next Rare Animals book and a patio with a HUGE bbq.

While standing on the balconey you over look the small stables and front garden and pathway.

Well it's just gone 5am so i think it's time for some sleep (lucky i'm on holidays)

I have no idea what i'm doing i'll fix this up when i wake up today.

Feenicks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmm, is test centre okay for a place to build it i wonder?

also, can we add the odd item that may not be othewise availablee to players... since EM's can access that stuff?

L

Lair Spirit

I've placed on test centre to try it out. I don't have the luxury of an 18x18 to try this out on and I guess they're only looking for pictures.

Don't know about items but I can't see why not

S

STARLA77

Here is my submission. House is built on TC, located at Malas, 56'4'N38'57'W.

This is the outside of the house. There are 2 cute polar bear statues to welcome visitors. The housing consists of a main building (the one on top), a hostel for staying over visitors and a small wooden shed to keep tools.

This is Level 1 of the main building consist dining area, a mini bar for guests and an exhibition area.

Level 2 consist of a meeting room which works as a library and Jaine's bedroom.

Level 3 has the bathroom with a big inhouse pool and a balcony for gazing the stars and keeping watch over the animals.

These are the pictures of the hostel and the Tool Room

Hope you like the design. Cheers.

I

imported_tripzy

wow this looks great ..ranch style

*pops onto TC to have a go *

L

Lair Spirit

Here are pics of my design. It doesn't say how many entries one can make so if I'm inspired and have time I'll pop another one up.
I made this on test centre so I hope it's not wiped before September. I didn't try shrinking the images either. If others are designing on TC hope you aren't as frustrated with the regular crashing and freezes of UO in Customisation (particularly roofs).

Here is the view of house from outside:

The ground floor:

and the first floor:

Everyone's designs so far have been great! Looking forward to seeing some more.

L

Lair Spirit

for fear of derailing this thread Ill keep it quick

Pet air fresheners! I've no idea what they're used for, found them on the ground at banks on TC.

G

They are to change the color of pets. Now back to the houses.

G

rofl thats funny i might have to go back there and have a squiz for myself!!!

And yes back on topic... houses look great

L

Lady_Kat

<font color="purple"> Well, my entry is located slightly north of the Yew Crypts (95o 43'N, 23o 41'W on Oceania).

Here you can see the full view of the property, with its ornate flowerbeds, animal pen, drinking well and wood harvesting station.

The first floor features a trim foyer, practical study and bedroom.

Advancing up the staircase brings us to the lounge; a casual, recreational and dining area.

The final floor is an entertainment room, complete with a stage for bards, a grand piano and a seating area for the Lady of the house and her guests. Also, private balcony, giving a glorious view over the countryside.

</font>

Magishine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<center>
---Ground floor---
walking up the steps onto the grounds the tiled path leads in two directions, east to the stables and north straight to the doors. Of a grand size, the stable yard is large enough for a couple of mounts of about 15 hands. Good grazing grass always readily at hand.
Upon entry into the waiting room there is an air of clinical cleanliness. Spotless floor and plenty of room from the feline to the equine. A spacious work bench just outside the surgery is well positioned for any veterinary clerical needs. A pharmaceutical desk and chemical storage sits in the eastern most wing of the home with convenient side access to the stables outside.

---First floor----
Upstairs onto the first floor landing finds oneself in an open living area. A spacious and functional kitchen area is equipped with a modern oven of elvish design and lengthy breakfast bar for numerous guests. The living area sports a large open fire place with unique interior wall placement.
On same floor is a very large spare bedroom with cosy bed, night stands and a roomy footlocker for your guests belongings. An exceptional bookshelf stands against the north wall for the studious guests.

---Second floor---
A well placed teleporter with runic design gives ready access to the second floor. Transporting one to an L shaped hallway the northen door leads into the expansive master bedroom with walk in wardrobe. The master bedroom is furnished with an ornate elven designed washstand flanked by two endearing cherry stained armoires. A huge comfortable bed designed with you in mind sits along the northern wall next to a personal musical orchestra. Doors on the eastern wall open out to a landing with breath taking views of the area.
On the southern walk of the landing is a personal recreation area with full size pool table and a mahjong setting. For those who just want to kick back and lap up the glorious scenery in the Vesper style chairs this is catered to also.

</center>

G

Oh wow! Some nice designs here! I hope Lady Jaine finds something to suit her

I meant to have a go too - but I bought my own house, and have spent most of the past 3 - 4 weeks trying to make it suit me (totally rebuilt it countless times :p)

G

Also on test centre. Coords: NON-existant now since pub 42. grrrrrr

Excuse the 'light' deco, lol, just I could barely move on there so after a while gave up

I kinda went for the rustic country homestead with hay barn look. Would of put a couple of rocking chairs on the porch if I had some lol.

T

Tasar

Well i must say i'm very disappointed in our shard i thought this was the perfect event. There is no lag involved, there was plenty of time for everyone to get involved (6 Weeks) and people cant say they didnt know about it there was a book placed at brit castle telling people to visit the zoo and to read the book there. I know we have a low population on Oceania but to have only 5 people on our shard submit designs, we should be ashamed. Our shard needs a good kick up the ass. Sienna or Cerulean shouldn't have to give out prizes just to gain some interest in events but i guess thats what our shard has come to anyway i've had my rant to fathers day i hope that you all have a wonderful day

G

Well I count six, but since they mentioned prizes I guess now this week we will see a flood of entries. LOL as for lag, try building on the test centre, you've no idea how hard it is to build and do deco when you can barely move, as for trying to cart wood and stuff over, well, took forever hehe. Certainly wont be tempted to go to those extremes again, took hours. But yes Tasar, in most ways I agree with you, people have had plenty of time, but no big deal.

G

MissE I totally can understand that actually! I went yesterday or day before to try out on test centre to build something, and the lag was horrendous!

I didn't know the best place to look for spare plots either, and spent an hour wandering around and not finding anything so gave up
(mind you, I honestly didn't get very far at all in that hour - at one point I was moving like 1 square every 2 seconds! :p)

I'd still love to have a go at it, but I don't know if I have the patience LOL!

Maybe I could build it in that home builder program and take screenies from there? Though I couldn't put furniture in then could I?

*edits* I forgot to say after all that - I like your design too MissE!

I

imported_JediSith

All those who weren't at the event... on sunday afternoon we were informed that there will be an extension to the Service Required Task until Saturday 9th of Sept... Please inform me if i got this date wrong

G

(rtlfc)

I think, unless some lovely person gives me an easy to find space, I have to give up. I spent the past three hours wandering around the test shard, but I just cant find an 18 x 18 spot

Probably there's lots of them in out of the way places, but I dont know how to find out of the way places, just the obvious ones lol!

I was going to build on my spot, but I've *just* started to get things in a way I like - rebuildig the building itself wouldnt be a major problem, but all the items would be a pain

Hope we get to see some more entries before the end of the week!

T

Tasar

Teeshy I'll lend you my spare account tonight and place a plot for you i'll even leave 750k in there for your designing send me your icq details via the stratics message system and i'll give you my details

The only down side is that it wont have the roof tiles it's just an AOS account

G

As the deadline was extended, and I was able to utilize another oceania account (courtesy of Fox, thanks Brenna), I thought I would do another entry of a different style to my first. So, consider, one, both or none, I just enjoy messing about building

This one is much more detailed as I was home on Oceania to build (not on the TC!) and is based on the Homestead Plantation houses of the 'old south' or 'Barossa or Clare Valley' areas. Given the 'zoo' theme, it would suit more the residence of the Zoo Curator, and includes a quarrantine area for new arrivals and vet servicing.

<center>
The house is located on oceania at: 23o54' N, 42o53'W in Malas.

Exterior view giving the overall scale and 'look' of the establishment.

Visitors to the Homestead are greeted at the entry with an established rock garden, including a small well for watering horses and a cobblstone path for quiet strolls. They then advance up the stone stairway where they may view (or taste!) the grapes on the vine-covered pergola, which are used to produce the wines for the extensive wine cellar.

Rock Garden

Grape Laden vines on the Pergola

The front doors enter into the main 'living' area and 'country kitchen' where the smell of baked goods adds a touch of warmth. Views from the kitchen highlight the pergola and from the main living area are views of the covered bbq area used for outdoor entertaining.

Moving upstairs, the main and guest bedrooms allow for overnight stays from visiting zoo patrons with comfort but simplicity.

Hidden beneath the main homestead and accessed by a convenient teleporter in the kitchen (don't want the cook running up and down stairs!) and concealed rock doors in the garden wall are the kitchen storage, wine cellar and animal surgery.

The rock doors allow the easy access for zoo exhibits requiring veterinary services or quarrantine to the stabling area, where a close up shows 4 new arriving exhibits to the zoo awaiting placement:

Close up view of the substantial wine cellar and storage area for Homestead Plantation provisions. Patrons enjoy a touch of wine tasting when visiting!

</center>

Enjoy!

Regards
MissE

G

Oh Tasar, you're a darling!
Thanks so very much for the offer!

But actually, because of your offer, I won't be needing it
I forgot I have a second account code (actually forgot about it because I couldn't ever see where I would need it LOL!)

So I can create a second account myself, and have a whack at it!

Though, I must say, after seeing MissE's second attempt just now, I don't know that mine will be that impressive
LOL! (and of course, getting what I can vision in my head to work out in game... well...
)

MissE, I actually live kinda betweeen the Barossa and Clare Valley's and I've *seen* houses that look like that! Good job!

D

Dark Serenity

<font color="brown"> Hello there! I haven't been around for quite some time, new job keeping me very busy so I only just saw this competition today.
My design was built for a friend on one of the asian shards quite some time ago.

This farm-style homestead was constructed before roofing tiles were introduced, so we improvised. It seemed fitting for this competiton so I hope you like it.</font>

G

Well, after all that, the conversion between what I can see in my head, and what worked out when I tried to make it wasn't exactly the same
But 'twill do!

When I hear "homestead" I envision a long, low building. So I haven't made a third floor, though putting an attic above the bedroom did enter my head, and I guess I could still do - but I couldn't find a ladder anywhere, and you need a ladder to go to an attic
Also felt like it could be longer than 18, just to get the "feel" that I wanted of a long, low building

The furnishings are a bit light as I don't really have the resources in game yet to do much better, and what better I do have are in my own home
But then, you'd want to add your own touches anyway, right?

Please click the images to get full sized pics!

Exterior:

The enclosed porch would be perfect for a swing-chair!

Living area:

There's a couple of "let's pretend" happening here
You have to pretend that the parrot is a couple of chickens ('cos you need the chooks right near the kitchen so you have lovely fresh eggs
)

And the chairs by the fireplace, really should be a couch, facing the fire
But I don't have the know-how yet to make one

Bedroom:

Here's the loft-style bedroom, with spiffy L-shaped stairs to enter, and with ensuite!

As you an see, the local wildlife is already very interested as well!

That's it! Hope you like!

A

AnnaAshy

Heres my design.

My chars name is Ashanty.

Thats the first floor and front yard, complete with a stable and fountain.

Heres the first floor basement. Good for locking up theifing peasents and storring fruits n stuff.

2nd floor has a kitchen ( including a cook), and a dining table.

3rd floor is the bedroom with a balcony.

And last but not least! the top floor, with your very own garden with a couple places to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet with some friendly parrots to talk to!

Well thyats my design!

P

Pix

Wow some of these places are wonderful, I didn’t even know this ‘event’ was going on

G

Giving this a last bump and setting it to never be archived, so the beautiful homes may always be seen in the forum. It is, however, being unstickied.

Status
Not open for further replies.