• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Minor Change For The Silver Steed Naming Contest

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As of Tuesday, March 10, it was determined by Crystal [CCC], Intoxication [LSN], and several others from Origin who are involved with Crystal's Name The Silver Steed Contest, that the five names who receive the most votes from the poll on the EM's website will be submitted to a panel of judges who will hold a vote to determine the winning name.

This is an Origin event. Everyone from Origin please go vote for your favorite name on the list.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This vote has been problematic and flawed from the beginning.

They could have run a Stratics pole and narrowed it down to the top three and used Ballot boxes.

Folks I know there is a lot of effort here but there needs to be a little fore thought as well!

When you assume the best in people you will usually be disappointed. If you assume the worst you will normally always be prepared for what ever comes along!

I know it sucks...but when dealing with people that have forgotten this is JUST A GAME, it is best to be prepared!

C

Crystal Canyon

This vote has been problematic and flawed from the beginning.

They could have run a Stratics pole and narrowed it down to the top three and used Ballot boxes.

Folks I know there is a lot of effort here but there needs to be a little fore thought as well!

When you assume the best in people you will usually be disappointed. If you assume the worst you will normally always be prepared for what ever comes along!

I know it sucks...but when dealing with people that have forgotten this is JUST A GAME, it is best to be prepared!
A Stratics Poll would have have yeilded the same results. The poll that is being used, is set up the same way as those that have been used here for similar contests.

We did consider ballot boxes but they were deemed unuseable because they only gave you the options of yah or nay, and we had no idea how many players were going to submit names either. LOL...can you imagine 100 ballot boxes in the small Wedding House?

I think it will all work out well in the end. The general population gets to vote for thier 5 favorites, then a panel of unbiased judges choose the top two names they deem the most appropriate for the steed.

All we need now is for folks to get those votes in! :)

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reference my post in the other thread.

There was no real "valid" solution to the voting, but at the same time, all forms we could have used, unless it was done in a real life location, could have been cheated on. We're relying on human nature to make people be honest.

F

Flora Green

As of Tuesday, March 10, it was determined by Crystal [CCC], Intoxication [LSN], and several others from Origin who are involved with Crystal's Name The Silver Steed Contest, that the five names who receive the most votes from the poll on the EM's website will be submitted to a panel of judges who will hold a vote to determine the winning name.

This is an Origin event. Everyone from Origin please go vote for your favorite name on the list.
Who will be on that panel and how is that fair? The name with the most votes should win. Just like the house with the most votes in deco contests wins. Are you bringing in people from other shards to be on the panel as they did with a SP deco contest a year or so ago? Cassie's post in the other thread hit the nail on the head.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And honestly, I had someone contact me on the Deco contest while it was taking place, letting me know that a friend of hers had gone and reset his IP multiple times to vote for her and told me she didn't want to win if she won because of that.

In the long run, she didn't have the winning votes, but I did know of it happening and that the voting for the contest wasn't fool proof. Nothing ever is. I appreciated her honesty and her telling her friend to stop.

But the ultimate thing is, it's a contest and people are trying to -win-. And some don't care how they do it.

R

RichDC

Ok well i guess i should apologise,

I dont play origin at all but i voted on the website, as i kinda wanted to be part of history, im not friends with anyone on the shard i just saw the post.

So, i apologise if i oversteped the boundaries i just thought that the drow and latin names sounded coolest!

C

Crystal Canyon

Who will be on that panel and how is that fair? The name with the most votes should win. Just like the house with the most votes in deco contests wins. Are you bringing in people from other shards to be on the panel as they did with a SP deco contest a year or so ago? Cassie's post in the other thread hit the nail on the head.
Who is on the panel of judges will not be revealed, and I personally don't know who they are either, but I can tell you that they are not from this shard nor do they play here.

We did try to gather opinions on how the people would like for the voting to be conducted before deciding which method to use. Please read News article "EM Laurana and EM Faine Morgan Request Your Input" at this location: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=131044

My personal opinion is that voting by judges, which I did suggest, is the fairest way for one specific reason. I believe that most of the time, voting by ballot on something like this turns out to be more of a popularity contest than a contest to decide which is the best and most appropriate name for the Silver Steed. Just as you see going on here, it is turning out to be "who has the most friends that will go cast votes from different computers."

This problem was brought to the attention of the EMs last night and they in turn summonsed all involved to discuss it, and to decide what action to take, if any. By popular consenses by those attending, it was then decided to actually use both methods of voting. First let the people vote, take the top 5 names and then submit them to a panel of judges. This was not the decision of the EM, it was a conclusion drawn by the people who had submitted the complaint and people who were involved in running the contest.

Cassie, has basically given all the pros and cons of any contest as she has seen from personal experience. There is no totally fair way to conduct any contest, and it all boils down to the honesty of the people involved. We here on Origin always hope for the best and from what I have seen of the people here, try to always trust first.

This is only a game, as LoneWolf has pointed out, and IF someone does cheat at anything just to win, then they are never going to be proud of the rewards they reap. But, we can all still be proud of what we have accomplished with our Zoo contributions...and that is truley what all this about to begin with. :)

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hindsight is 20/20.

I wish there would have been a way to submit names anonymously, or not have had the names attributed to each submitter. That way, if more than one person submitted the same name, the plaque would be for all those that submitted that name if it won.

At the same time, what if a large guild on Origin (don't laugh we used to have a number of singularly large guilds at one time or another) had one or two members submit names and then that large guild all voted for those two. Those guild members might have friends off the shard from X-shard trading and request for them to vote. Ad nauseum. Would that invalidate the votes because that the guild, which plays on Origin, actively encouraged members to vote for those two names so their guildmates could win?

Like I said, I play Devil's Advocate, quite frequently. There was no better way to run the contest, tho I do disagree with the way it will be voted on in the end. Because in the end, voting will be biased because of a posted ICQ with names omitted.

Biased voting sucks. So does cheating.

But in the end, despite what that person did, I believe that if there is a true landslide vote, that chances -are-, quite strongly, that not only did people offshard vote for a specific name, but for the shard voted as well for that name. I feel it would be very wrong and anti-shard spirit to not choose the winning name as the name of the steed just because someone offshard submitted a name.

I would also like to note that there was no rule ever stated that you had to play on the shard to submit the name. The rules as posted on the forum:

To recap the rules and deadlines:
By March 7, 2009: Post your Silver Steed name entry on the bulletin board in front of the EM House by 11:50 p.m. PST. One entry per player
March 8-14: Use the ballot box to vote for your favorite name
March 15: Top five names will be submitted to a panel of judges to determine the winning name
March 17: Winning name will be announced at the Taming Event sponsored by LSN
Time to get those creative juices flowing and come up with a name for Origin's Silver Steed! The bulletin board and book are located at the EM house next to the EM Hall in Britain.
There is/was no way to determine if anyone actually does or does not actively play this shard. I have fully developed characters on multiple shards, including Oceania, Great Lakes, Legends and Lake Superior. Origin has the most characters, but each of those has fully developed GM or better characters and at one time I was very active on two of those shards at a time.

And, I hate to say this last part, because of this, chances are, EMs will be forced to have similar contests on other shards because of the problems arising from this one.

But in all seriousness. This is 1) above all a game. 2) the internet---you can't prevent Origin players from cheating and voting from computers, you can't stop players not from Origin voting, you can't stop people who don't play UO from voting, you can't stop people from asking folks from other servers to vote.

There are good and bad to go with it. I think, truthfully, it would be a BAD idea to not go with the winning name, despite the "unsavory" circumstances. I can say this because I didn't participate in submitting a name and I provided at least a couple items as prizes.

F

Flora Green

Personally I think it's very wrong to simply not choose the name that garners the most votes on the website. But, this seems to be the way things are going to be run on this shard. Meh. The EM's have been convinced.

C

Crystal Canyon

Hindsight is 20/20.

I wish there would have been a way to submit names anonymously, or not have had the names attributed to each submitter. That way, if more than one person submitted the same name, the plaque would be for all those that submitted that name if it won.

At the same time, what if a large guild on Origin (don't laugh we used to have a number of singularly large guilds at one time or another) had one or two members submit names and then that large guild all voted for those two. Those guild members might have friends off the shard from X-shard trading and request for them to vote. Ad nauseum. Would that invalidate the votes because that the guild, which plays on Origin, actively encouraged members to vote for those two names so their guildmates could win?

Like I said, I play Devil's Advocate, quite frequently. There was no better way to run the contest, tho I do disagree with the way it will be voted on in the end. Because in the end, voting will be biased because of a posted ICQ with names omitted.

Biased voting sucks. So does cheating.

But in the end, despite what that person did, I believe that if there is a true landslide vote, that chances -are-, quite strongly, that not only did people offshard vote for a specific name, but for the shard voted as well for that name. I feel it would be very wrong and anti-shard spirit to not choose the winning name as the name of the steed just because someone offshard submitted a name.

I would also like to note that there was no rule ever stated that you had to play on the shard to submit the name. The rules as posted on the forum:

There is/was no way to determine if anyone actually does or does not actively play this shard. I have fully developed characters on multiple shards, including Oceania, Great Lakes, Legends and Lake Superior. Origin has the most characters, but each of those has fully developed GM or better characters and at one time I was very active on two of those shards at a time.

And, I hate to say this last part, because of this, chances are, EMs will be forced to have similar contests on other shards because of the problems arising from this one.

But in all seriousness. This is 1) above all a game. 2) the internet---you can't prevent Origin players from cheating and voting from computers, you can't stop players not from Origin voting, you can't stop people who don't play UO from voting, you can't stop people from asking folks from other servers to vote.

There are good and bad to go with it. I think, truthfully, it would be a BAD idea to not go with the winning name, despite the "unsavory" circumstances. I can say this because I didn't participate in submitting a name and I provided at least a couple items as prizes.
Cassie, you are right, as I put in another post, It was never cast in stone that any entry or voting be conducted by only veterans of Origin. I don't think that this was truley the complaint that was being aired.

I didnt get online until late last evening and came here to check the boards first. I was bombarded with PMs and was actually afraid to open them! :eek: LOL. Several people had the complaint that votes were being submitted by people who had no affiliation to the contest, but were simply being asked to go to a site and vote for a certain entry via mass ICQ messages. It was not really a complaint that the person was not from this shard or playing this shard, it had more to do with the fact that the votes were from people who dont even play the game.

What we tried to do was to alliviate some of the the problem, by giving everyone who submitted an entry sort of a second chance to win beings that is appears that the current highest votes may be coming from folks who dont even play UO. Those who took their time to submit names, seemed to think that taking the top 5 names in site voting and have them again voted on by judges was at least a step in making it more fair.

I know you have had to deal with similar problem before as you have run many contests in game and on websites. Its one of those things where you cant possibly please everyone, but you feel when there is enough complaints that something needs to be re-worked.

All I can say is "Cassie, you have nerves of steel to run as many contests as you have and still come out sane!!" I think they should put a plaque up for you also!!! :)

C

Crystal Canyon

Personally I think it's very wrong to simply not choose the name that garners the most votes on the website. But, this seems to be the way things are going to be run on this shard. Meh. The EM's have been convinced.
Actually, the EMs have had nothing to do with how the voting is conducted. They have only ask that we continue the contest and offered to present a plaque to the winner.

At every meeting we have had concering this contest, the only thing that EM Faine or EM Laurana has done was to ask questions and have us tell them what we are wanting to do. All final decisions were made by a concenses of the players present.

Its just so hard to know what is the right way or the wrong way, but we are doing the best we know how. I think from now on when there is a contest we should just all yell...CASSIE!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!! :)

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cassie just goes with the easiest way out :p Popular vote wins. But that's because I know there's no real fair way to do voting on the internet hehe.

Of course...it's also not fair that part of my real life job is running and monitoring various contests for our company. I have a bit of an advantage. Below is the guide I handed to our VP when he decided to keep running contests but didn't think them all out and I ended up going to him with questions about 4 different contests in a 2 week period. LOL

• Start and End date of Contest
• Are there prizes? If so, who is providing them?
• If we (Insertcompanynamehere) are providing them:
• What is the prize?
• How many prizes?
• How are the prizes to be drawn?
• Who do we send the contest entries back to?
• When creating Contest Entry Forms, be sure to include:
• A spot for name, address, employee ID (? if appropriate)
• Deadline entry deadline on the card
• Any rules they should know of
• Who's handling this internally (This got returned to me with a "You are. Duh." answer)
Apparently, by being logical, I got myself more work. Go figure.

D

Dhara

Apparently, by being logical, I got myself more work. Go figure.
LOL...I know EXACTLY what you mean :)

I know this is not any help now, but maybe next time you can try something like having everyone submit one entry on this board as a post. Sure, you'd have to count them manually, but if you get a TON of votes from brand-spanking new members for the same one or two choices, that would be really easy to spot. Just an idea...

F

Frey Wavestrider

I know that I would have loved a fair vote but as pointed out on the web that is difficult. I want the names voted on by the people who play origin and play UO not people who have no desire to play the game and are voting because some one sent them an ICQ message to vote a certain way. That is neither fair nor right. I have not voted and I will most likely vote once with the consensus of my wife as the brat and I share and IP. I know how to change the IP but that would not be fair. So we vote once for our household. This is a game and this contest is to celebrate a great accomplishment. One all of us at Origin should be proud of. I will trust the judges to make the correct decision when choosing from the 5 finalists. I may not agree but I will abide that is the way it works. The brat is proud of pointing out how much UO is like and extended family and I think the effort put forth for this contest and the leveling of zoo donations, show what can be done when even a small shard works together.

Now, everyone vote.

R

Rowdydude

Why in the world does everyone have to have an opinion or choice on everything. Just Pick a group of people and let them decide. a Simple popup gump upon log in or make an event of it " You are summoned to the king and at his request you are chosen to decide this issue. Here is who i would like vote.

anyone who writes an acceptable players guide

biggest contributors to the library.

account over 100 months a vote .

Anybody that helps bring in new players or keep new players

I just wish we could put this much effort and focus into things that actually make the game better.