• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] In the Hot Seat: Pan Arcane

Paul Harvey

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. How old are you?

I am twenty three years old.

2. How long have you played UO?

I have played Ultima Online since June 13, 1998. I turned twelve three weeks later.

3. How long have you been on L.A. ?

I arrived on the very first day, September 18, 2002.

4. Many of us know but for those who don't, what is your preferred play style? template?

I have no play style or template preferences. I can adapt to any style and any template. I consider myself to be a complete player.

5. Some would say you are controversial, do you see yourself that way?

No, I do not have any self doubt. I see myself as honest, non-confrontational person. I speak my mind and give others the opportunity to speak theirs. At the end of the day, actions in the game are what count and not what is spoken of the game. I will always take a verbal stand for my actions.

6. Tell us a little about whats going on now with Pan Arcane and your "retirement" from PvP.

Following my return from a nearly five-year hiatus we regained distinction in Lake Austin's PvP community ultimately as the elite class. It got to the point where large guilds were setting their alarm clocks to server up just to "sneak" champion spawns under our radar, or ceasing to exist completely. Needless to say the PvP atmosphere had become a little stale and unsatisfying. We decided to set our focus on all different aspects of the game, also providing the time necessary to recharge what is left in the tank. If we regain the missing passion you can expect to see us PvP one day again.

The Trammel based style of play is one that I have always excelled at, but never took the time out to enjoy in such great depth as I did in the earlier years of UO. We established a movement - or call it a challenge if you will to revive the community on Lake Austin and encourage other players to start working toward the same. Already you are seeing the results, sporadically. People are coming out to play more. I think as things progress Lake Austin will become one of the premier communities in Ultima Online again. I already have a lot of things on my plate looking forward the future.

7. King Pan Arcane? A self declaration? And what weight does this carry? Expectations? What will you do as king?

This bit initially started while lovely Dawn was giving a speech about the death of King Casca. My reaction was, "What King Casca?" My words to Dawn were precisely that. The Lake Austin community doesn't need a storyline, or a non-player King. They want the real deal. My notion to Dawn was that any King or Queen will first need to dethrone me, something that so-called "King" Casca could never do.

It progressed as a reputation more recently after the Stygian Abyss expansion when somebody had asked me to join the "Rivenmyst" community as I understand it is called, which I initially accepted. Their immediate motion was that they could be "Queen" and I could be "King" - I liked that. A day later it became apparent to me that others involved wanted to one-up my co-existing establishment by calling themselves "the first" (when my house was the first) maybe thinking it would fly past me. I separated my establishment from Rivenmyst and instead as King chose to dub the area "Arcania". Ultimately, I wanted to use this to boast a friendly little Trammel-oriented competition but soon after it turned a bit soggy. I still see good things upcoming for Arcania; Rivenmyst or which ever name you wish to call it.

8. How do you feel about being accused of using 3rd party cheat programs? Do you? What programs do you use if any?

My answer comes to you in the form of a question. How would you feel about being accused of cheating? I like to have other players forget about the third party, and instead focus on the fifth and sixth party. By this point they must understand there are no foul tricks. They are just being outclassed and that is all it is. Pan Arcane don't need no black sheep wall.

9. How many computers/accounts do you use while playing?

1. Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.93GHz; 256MB RAM; ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series.

10. What inspires you these days?

The thought of us 'Arcanes' going out the right away: nobody questioning who we are or what we accomplished. We just want to go out our way, being the best that ever did it 'our way' no matter Trammel or Felucca.

11. Who has been your biggest influence on game play?

Soldevi Arcane otherwise known as the undisputable Multanijean. The prodigy who played UO longer than I, who has experienced as much as I, who I once took under my wing to become the most thunderous Arcane of all time, even greater than me myself. I came back because he was constantly nagging, every day for over a thousand days. As you can see our chemistry in the game never changed.

12. Who has been your greatest nemesis?

The only player that I have conquered time after time after time, who I still regard as a nemesis is Akasha the leader of the Akashic Brotherhood (A|B) the first "big name" guild on LA other than my own. I don't even enjoy bringing up his name but he was too much fun to play against, that I miss. This player was undoubtedly the greatest loser I have ever come to know in my whole history of playing Ultima Online. Seven years later the name 'Akasha' motivates me like the taste of blood to a ferocious furry lion. To this day, I wish the Akashic Brotherhood would reform under his leadership - that he would resume his role as my true nemesis so I could deliver to him another series of proverbial asswhoopings. No other player could pester me or motivate me so much.

13. Who has been your greatest ally?

I am my greatest ally. As a young child somebody once gave me a pencil that read, "You can if you think you can!" I haven't stopped believing in myself since.

14. Tell us a little bit about "ROAD". How many members? When it was formed? why? Any mission statement?

ROAD stands for the Revolution of Arcane Domination. There are two members, Soldevi Arcane and Pan Arcane, that form its core which came together day one of Lake Austin. Artanis Arcane was the third party involved obviously in its creation but he moved on from the game in 2003. We were first known as Oblivious Empire (O:E) and have also gone on to be known as the Arcane Empire (A:E) or Run Off And Recall (ROAR). Lake Austin is where we established and where we will complete the 'Arcane' identity as it ever were.

15. What flavor ice cream is your favorite?

Breyers Heavenly Hash, but which ever flavor you're eating will do fine. Just pass it over.

16. Tell us something about Pan Arcane that we don't know?

There is a person behind the character. I am not all that I play to be. I have explained to others - I do not walk around my profession saying I am the "best employee", nor do I claim to my wife to be the "best husband" as much as that is one day what she deserves. I too have feelings and other social understanding. Pan Arcane is a role - a saga - a legacy that I have started will one day finish. Yes, I will walk away some day with all of the "controversy" that makes this vibrant personality come to life. Pan Arcane is more than my character, but my Picasso gaming personality and one that I am totally addicted to. When I step away from the computer none of the quarrels or qualms exist anymore. I don't even think about the game again until the next time I log in. I separate life from the game and being Pan Arcane is something that I surely missed for those years that I was away, and something that I will miss when it is all said and done. I just hope people do not take all that I do or say to heart, but instead look at the good aspects of challenge & confusion that I bring to their every day gaming life. I am an experienced roleplayer, through and through.

17. Is there anything you would like to see added or changed within the game?

I had a thought about this recently. It is obvious that the game has a shell of its former subscriptions. So, they want to make it exciting for those that stay around? How about make a change that will bring a new, exciting element to player interaction. Open up housing to a house per shard instead of a house per account and change the rules on inactive accounts that hold housing so they'll fall quicker. Let's fill up some of these empty spots with worthwhile housing. I can presently find a keep spot on most of the existing shards, our shard included. So far gone are the days when you had to work for a suit of armor, let alone own a house. I'd love to see people trading housing again.

There is also so much land that they should just change all of the lands to a Felucca ruleset and keep guard zones imposed in town regions. With insurance it does not matter if you die to another player the odd time. I have so much to say on this particular topic that you're going to have to catch me for another interview.

18. Do you feel you are misunderstood?

People derive their own understanding and I respect that. If they take initiative and respect me, they will understand my character in a different light. If you do not respect me, do not expect it in return. I am a personality hard not to like.

19. If they wrote a book about you what would the title be?

Pan Arcane - and the first sentence shall read, "Once upon all time..."

20. You recently declared war on the new village Rivenmyst, define what that means ? Can you really declare war
on a tram village? special tactics involved?

This is not a war. People misinterpreted that from the beginning. This is a trade war. This is a way to promote friendly rivalry between the two establishments - to hopefully promote establishment & vendor growth in the Ter Mur facet. The King is already set in his ways - he shall bring inexpensive goods and prosperity to the table for the people of Arcania and the whole of Lake Austin. Will the Rivenmyst peasantry do the same?

21. Can you share some insight on tactics, Templates, and equipment?

Play a template you decide best suits you. Equipment varies on the character type you play, but hopefully one would gain survival experience before depending on equipment to stay alive. Don't be afraid to try new things, no matter what type of person or what style of player you are. Feelings are not meant to be hurt playing a video game - so enjoy the game as it is intended and all of its aspects. Be selfish. Don't live in fear of failure. Failure in the game to me means, "res up" and try it again! Never give up! I don't know of the word "quit" anymore. Tactical excellence falls under the experience category. Experience is gained by experimenting. Never be afraid to experiment. I'd encourage all to get out and experience all different aspects of the game, and have as much fun as they can.

Any last words or thoughts?

You really think my last words will be the last? I am Pan Arcane, a raging narcissist.

D

Dark Angel XXXX

Excellent article :).
As always, Pan Arcane leaves me with a smile on face. I think he makes a great *King*..
I love playing UO and having fun and Pan makes it even better !!

S

Sindris

I have played since UO was released. I transferred from Chesapeake more than five years ago. I have never seen pan in game, not using that name in any case. Probably because I don't pvp. My question is why should I give a rats ass? I mean all I see him do is brag on himself here on the boards, is this worthy of all the attention he gets? Just curious.

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow,,,I transfered to LA from Baja a few months ago and Pan Arcane is my Ter Mur neighbor, but for the record--my house was the first house placed in Ter Mur on LA. Looks like it will be fun watching the strife develop between Village Rivenmyst and Village Pan Arcane with me stuck in the middle. Let the fun begin:)

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It’s funny that they interview Pan after he gets banned from posting on the forum.

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Willard. I think you need to make that known fact known! I personally would put it on your house sign as "1st house placed in Tur Mer - *rest of house sign as is now*", but that is just me. ;)

S

SLACK

It’s funny that they interview Pan after he gets banned from posting on the forum.
Yeah that does make little sense, no?
yeah he's chest beater and sometimes a bit annoying but he's big fun for the
most part!
I like the fact that he plays his toons to the extreme and he believes what
he says as jerky as it can be at times.
He's a pretty good guy in my books despite the fact that he dared deem ME
insignificant.
Hell, this game couldn't continue without THE Slack!!!!!!
Bow before me unworthy swine!!!! :bowdown:SLACK
I say let him back in if'n he wants ta............

I

Ironrose Dartmore

My first impression of him.. Was a character who wanted attention.. *shrugs* IMO time and place for roleplay isn't when people are trying to spend money =P