• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] From The Archives...

L

Lair Spirit

I've delved a little further along the shelves of the archives and have found this account of betrayal. While it does not explain the ophidian statues in Serpents Hold it does set the scene for an epic battle between snake and spider in which those very statues played an enormous role. At the end of this post is a reference to Yew healing, this is because Yew had long been a swamp and in decay for many years. The Meer had cast a terrible 'decay' spell and it went horribly awry (but that's another story). My next posting will be the first of a two part diary record found on the battlefield.

Of Fractured Factions, Sayonara Surano and The Restoration of Balance.

Previous to the events leading up to the shocking change of Minion leadership there were two meetings held. A meeting of the Serpents Order of Balance and a meeting of Morissa's Minions. Each had their respective places to wait. For Commanders Tomcat and Cyanide, they were ordered to meet in "the usual place". I've narrowed this to somewhere in Mistas in Ilshenar. For Commanders Thorn and Cymoril of the Order of Balance, it was in the throne room.

The Serpents of Balance meet in the throne room.

Of neither faction I was somewhat limited in my access to these meetings, although I understood they were still recruiting. Dressed identically in their shrouds of Balance and carrying the Commander shields denoting office, the Champions of Balance stood awaiting further instructions from the Matriarch of Balance. It eventually arrived in the form of a gate and unfortunately I am unable to report further on secret serpents/minions business.

A Serpent Gate opens to a secret meeting place.

Many hours later the Royal Town Crier made the announcement,

"All Royal Guards and Volunteers report to Castle British at once! This is not a drill!"​

The throneroom filled up quickly with Guards and Volunteers. The room was noticeably lacking in minions and spies however there was no doubt they were lurking elsewhere. Ailis came quickly out from behind the Royal Red curtains and greeted her Guards. Shortly after, the Matriarch of Balance arrived and ascended the throne dais.

"My lady..." Ailis greeted, somewhat surprised.
"Greetings Commander of the Royal Guard." the Matriarch returned.
"Greetings my lady," Ailis began again, more composed, "What brings you here?"
"It seems that this time we are in accord with our aims." the Matriarch said.
"In accord? In what regard?" Ailis asked.​

"I ask to borrow the services of your Guardsmen in addition to my own Serpent Guard."

Ailis frowned. She had passed command of her Guards to someone else before. While he was a trusted member of society he was lacking in his duties and handled the responsibility poorly. Her hesitation was apparent in her question,

"To what end?"
"So that the threat posed by Morissa may be put to rest." the Matriarch explained, "We were given information this morning at our meeting by one of her own Minions that will allow her to be defeated."
"We do wish the end of her that is certain." Ailis said, then asked, "but how can I be sure our aims coincide? She was betrayed by one of her own? How can you be sure this is not a ploy by her in some way?"
"Before I divulge this information, is there any spies in our midst Serpents?"​

It was noticed that there were one or two openly flaunting the bright pink of Morissa. The Matriarch pointed out that Minions were not welcome here while Ailis said their Commander was seen lurking just outside. The obvious Minions walked outside the ones who who wished to remain anonymous stealthed themselves out. After the room had been purged of spies Ailis said,

"I shall take my leave and leave my Guards in your uhh... tail!"
"My thanks Ailis." responded the Ophidian.​

Ailis mounted her horse and took off out of the throneroom. When all had settled the Matriarch of Balance began.

"Now the information that we we given this morning."​

"We were given a password to allow us access to her secret base, which my serpents guard."

"We were also given another which will immobilise her and allow us to lead her out of the base. Then you all may have a hand in "dealing" with her. It seems that in this case evil turns upon itself as our information was given by one of their own new leaders!"​

Sounds of surprise and a few startled gasps were heard.

"We will head to Mistas, where my Serpent Guards will bring forth Morissa, then we shall deal with her. I will gate us to a Moongate."​

The Matriarch of Balance slithered down the steps to be amongst the Serpent Order and Royal Guards. She created a moongate and everyone poured through it to the other side. Appearing a few feet away from Britain's public Moongate people shouted the name of the gate to go through next, Honesty. Walking through the blue portal took the Royal Guards, the Serpent Order and Volunteers to Ilshenar, as close to Mistas as was possible through magic. From there everyone hiked en masse to the city of Mistas.

Upon arriving, the Serpent/Guard Coalition dispatched the few Jukan sentries posted along the way. Approaching the north of the city the Guards and Serpents found a moongate. On top of the battlements a large gathering of Morissa's Minions looked down, hurling insults and baleful glares. Without wasting time, those of the Serpent Order began speaking a special word which was granting them access through the moongate. One of the Serpent Commanders was trying to give the correct pronounciation of the password but few took notice.

"My Serpents will bring her down, then we may all deal with her. Thorn, go and bring her to me!"​

Thorn spoke the password, SNOINIM, and vanished through the gate. He appeared atop the battlements near the top of the stairs to downstairs. He maneuvered his mount between the throng of Minions surrounding Morissa. She was surrounded so tightly it was nearly impossible to see her. Morissa narrowed her eyes at the Serpent Commander as he approached. They spoke at the same time, Thorn not one to mince words with the enemy.

"Take your slithering companions and leave this place!"

"Hepzibah Morissa Surano." spoke Thorn.​

Morissa screamed out in rage and frustration. She began to tremble and shiver. The use of her true name had rendered her incapable of performing any type of counter attack. She was at the mercy of the Serpents but the day was not about forgiving or compassion. Thorn led her away to the stairs, Morissa trying to resist each step and her Minions powerless to help. It wasn't enough though, the magic bonds invisibly holding her were of a far greater power than she could manipulate. Slowly down the stairs and outside they went. More Serpents of Balance and the Commanders Cymoril and OvrMage were now strengthening the immobilising power by repeating Morissa's full name. They continued moving the Legendary Sorceress into a small clearing just outside the wooden walls of the battlements in front of the Matriarch of Balance. In the background the Minions bickered amongst each other trying to place blame on someone for betraying Morissa to the Guards. Directed by the Matriarch, the chanting of Morissa's full name ceased.

"You will pay for this," Morissa spat, "My brother will not tolerate such an insult!"
"Everyone step away from her!" The Matriarch ordered, "That I may face her and she may stand accused."​

Morissa constantly strained against her invisible bonds. She was tiring, her body not standing as tall and proud as it once did. The hood of her shroud was still drawn about her face but it was obvious the strain was exerting. Only after everyone had finally cleared a space from around Morissa did the Matriarch of Balance continue.

"You stand accused by all here and by the cosmos. You have betrayed your own World and those of others."
"I have betrayed no-one!" Morissa screamed, her eyes darting wildly between the Serpents in the crowd.
"The Shadows you subjugated are now powerless and leaderless. You have betrayed your own people, leading them into evil and vile ways and caused an Imbalance in the fabric of Sosaria and the wider Cosmos. For this we accuse you. For this, you stand accused. Now my Serpents and the Other Volunteers and Royal Guards here will mete out the age old discipline..."​

"Serpents... end the LIFE of this one who defies Balance!"

Morissa struggled violently against her restraints but only as soon as the first attacking words of power hit her could she move. She began unleashing the full force of her wrath against her accusers and attackers. The Serpent Order and the Royal Guards worked well together as a team attacking her, defending against her and healing one another. Most of the Minions who had pledged loyalty to Morissa were attacking her now. Her vengeance against those unfaithful was swift and deadly, meted out with the same force she gave the followers of the Serpent Order and Guards.

Morissa killed many people. She didn't discriminate between her Minions and the Serpent/Guard allies. The Minions still loyal to her stood by, keeping out of the savage path of destruction, unable to assist their leader. The force of her power wreaked great walls of stone, created huge holes in the ground but it wasn't enough to save her from her fate. Morissa was eventually slain. Many lives were lost in her destruction, many people wounded. Time would mend the hurts of the flesh but would never erase her from the minds of everyone who was present on her death day. Little remained of Morissa for the Minions to retrieve. Her signature shroud had succumbed to the flamestrikes and fireballs early on in the fight, there was just nothing left to recover and mourn over.

The sounds of battle rang in everyone's ears. Dozens of warriors stood around in shock, wandering from body to slain body searching for friends or survivors. It was no surprise that the arrival of Marcel was almost missed. The Matriarch was conversing with the human/terathan hybrid.

Marcel and the Matriarch exchange words.

"But you and I will have a reckoning Spider," The Matriarch foretold, "Another day perhaps."
"And much power is restored to me." Marcel gloated, obviously in response to a previous comment. "The gold I have ordered as payment for your work this day." Marcel was addressing his Commanders, "You have made me most proud this day."​

Marcel took his Minions around him and spoke to his Commanders. The Matriarch did likewise,

"The Spider?" The Matriarch asked to clarify an unheard question. "We will have a reckoning another day. It was he that sent us the information to enter the base, thus restoring the balance to an extent. So you have all aided a higher purpose in this fight. You have worked well! Remember the Balance my troops! I will leave you now. My Commanders, I will see you with further orders anon. For now watch the spiders."​

The Matriarch left the scene of battle much the same time as Marcel. The survivors of Morissa's wrath were slowly making a train back to Honesty Moongate, many healers and wandering healers aiding those too weak to move on their own. What has this betrayal bought for Marcel? What would drive him to essentially murder his own sister? His agenda is unclear at the moment and only time can unfold it. The Serpents of Balance are still an enigma also. For this battle they were fighting back to back with the Guard, how long until the scales of Balance are tipped and the Serpent Order are fighting for men like Marcel? What of the terathans on Lord Blackthorn's Castle and in Terathan Keep? No doubt they would impart a few pearls of wisdom with a little prompting. The nursemaid too, in the spider dungeon in Ilshenar, is already known to have divulged information to the Royal Guard before, perhaps she has new news? There is also word of an Ophidian in Serpents Hold, he seems very learned in the Serpent Codex but that can't be all he knows could it?

Afterwards, while trekking through Yew, driven by an interest in the arcane and curious by the seeds, I had discovered the seeds were no longer there. It seems the energy from the vortices have fed the magic of the seeds and created a new growth in Yew.

Saplings have grown from the seeds.

Hope for the rebirth of Yew is strong.

~ Lair Spirit (In memory of Hepzibah Morissa Surano - Disillusioned and misguided but forever in our hearts and minds.)

L

Lair Spirit

The one where she was rescued by a certain someone? =P

*remembers the sash*

I did not ever get around to writing up that event for one reason or another. I have logs though... and I have a folder full of screenshots.

Perhaps I shall fake a "From The Archives..." ? :)

**Edit: On second thought, I was not the only reporter, it may not have been me to report on that event.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one where she was rescued by a certain someone? =P

*remembers the sash*

I did not ever get around to writing up that event for one reason or another. I have logs though... and I have a folder full of screenshots.

Perhaps I shall fake a "From The Archives..." ? :)

**Edit: On second thought, I was not the only reporter, it may not have been me to report on that event.
Yeah but your the only active reporter really.

K

Katlene

He's not actually a reporter anymore.
Im currently the only one thats still around, but im on a hiatus atm. Plus there isnt much going on either.
I dont remember being at a cassandra rescue type event let alone writing a story on it.
Maybe Lady kat or Cym did it?
Ill have a look through the files ive got and see if theres anything interesting!

L

Lair Spirit

Cool battle shot. Portrays the scene to a tea.

It was very busy and laggy. You can even see the minion bystanders not wanting to join in the killing of their mistress!

W

wyrmtongue

Wow one of my old toons when I played UO is in those screenies! :eek:snap:

My toon still has that sash I think?

Guard of Britannia or something it was called I think? :mf_prop:

S

Sienna_

Wow one of my old toons when I played UO is in those screenies! :eek:snap:

My toon still has that sash I think?

Guard of Britannia or something it was called I think? :mf_prop:
Member Of The Royal Britannian Guard off the top of my head, it's been a while ;)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't you love impostors?
Not particularly, The real thing is much better, and this *is* the real thing.

Welcome Sienna, I'm sure other, less cynical, posters will be delighted to see you.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not particularly, The real thing is much better, and this *is* the real thing.

Welcome Sienna, I'm sure other, less cynical, posters will be delighted to see you.
I completely disagree. I know who "Sienna" is on stratics, and this isn't. I don't see why they would make two accounts.

K

Katlene

so other people dont know her alt petrify. simple

in other news and extract from The Devs Must Be Crazy by Cal Crowner...

Finally, I made mention during the Town Hall that we have been working on bringing back the big Ultima to Ultima Online. So, we finally have approval to re-implement Event Moderators.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

F

Fink

"Finally, I made mention during the Town Hall that we have been working on bringing back the big Ultima to Ultima Online. So, we finally have approval to re-implement Event Moderators."

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Sounds as if they're recasting EM's rather than just hiring the ones they let go.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds as if they're recasting EM's rather than just hiring the ones they let go.
Honestly I'd prefer that, the EM's had quite a grudge against a few people (I don't think against me - but people who I was guilded with). I think the best example of that was the "Champion Hunting Team", we got the only "NO-TRADE NO-DROP" event items in the entire game (I am not sure if the EM's dictate the items or there superiors), it was quite clear about half way through the event that our "team" of 10 people were going to win and the EM's had quite a long time to think about what reward to give us. Not only that they originally gave us ninja belts, which we couldn't wear along with crimson. However I do give credit to the EM's for allowing us to change it to sandals (I believe Lair was the only one who kept his belt - which was smart of him) so we could at least wear them. I may be clutching at straws, but this wasn't the only occasion where it occurred (the last event on oceania for example).

F

Fink

Mr Spirit does look dapper in that belt, it was a good choice to keep it. :mf_prop: