• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] FoF: Fletching, Finally

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

And yet again Friday, and another whine that something specific to you didn't get answered. It might help if you actually asked a specific question, and put it directly to Jeremy, instead of the once a week vague complaint.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Now ya know why I don't post much anymore. Arguing in UHall is like clapping with one hand

Thanks Jeremy for the FoF. It answered several of my questions. I patiently await the next Friday

Oh noes I'll get labeled a fanboi!!! A cheerleader!

But anyone whoes been reading here for the last 5 years or more knows I can flame EA with the best of em when they deserve it

When they give us pertinent info though, is not one of those times.

Some people are just grumpy i guess. Or need to get off the meth.

Nerf Meth.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

"Karma" can be anything from -20000 to 20000.

(karma + 20000 + (Chivalry*100))

"duration" is DIFFERENT from "cast time"

I can't even begin to imagine what ...

Oh!

never mind

burma Bur bur Burma burma

*math in the hall*
sqrt1 = 1
sqrt0 = 0
0/n = 0
ie. casting a chiv spell with 0 chiv ... has 0 result ...

darkvoid indeeeeeed

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO!

*Laughing my [/bleepin] butt off*!!!onitty!

Man, I read that post too, and was like...wtf!!

Yea! WTF! I have to wait 2 minutes for EOO to go off! While I was waiting a mongbat speedhacked on top of me and looted my bank
eleventy!

lol sorry but this was too funny not to post on.

<blockquote><hr>

I can't even begin to imagine what ...

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed

This thread has killed too many braincells. I think I'll go do bonghits. It's easier on the brain cells.

haha Fayled I'm glad you never went away

I

imported_athos_uo

The Special Moves(SpMs) of SE have different features from those of AoS.

- All the SpMs require either Bushido 50.0 or Ninjitsu 50.0.

- Which of Bushido or Ninjitsu is required depends not on the SpM, but on the Weapon.
(The same SpM on the different Weapon sometimes requires another skill. For example: Defense Mastery on Lajatang requires Bushido, while Defense Mastery on Kama requires Ninjitsu. This means that Lajatang is essentially the Weapon of Samurai, and Kama is essentially the Weapon of Ninja.)

- All the SpMs of SE require 30 Mana.

Here is the table of what weapon of SE belongs to what skill.

The next four SpMs are bound to each weapon and used only with that specific weapon:
  1. Nerv Strike: Bushido-specific SpM with Bokuto
  2. Riding Swipe: Bushido-specific SpM with No-Dachi
  3. Talon Strike/Dual Weald: Ninjitsu-specific SpMs with Tekagi
  4. Double Shot: Bushido/Ninjitsu SpM with Yumi
(*)Note: These are explanations about SpMs of SE on my web site. I explain them, but these explanations are, as a whole, based on the test results of an awesome tester Gray@Izumo. All the Japanese Player refer to his web site, when they need to know about combat of UO.

I will post detailed description of each SpM of SE after half a day or so.

I

imported_athos_uo

I translate the description of each SpM on my site.

- Riding Swipe(Bushido-Specific with No-Dachi. requires Bushido 50.0)
A SpM only against the riding opponent. It has no effect against the opponent on foot.

If you are on foot, you can do next three effects:
<ul>[*]normal hit damage to the opponent[*]dismount the opponent[*]you give the direct damage of 10-20 to the mount of the opponent[/list]
The opponent cannot ride again until the mount was fully healed. If the opponent ride on ethereal mount, the opponent gets the direct damage and the ethereal will be back in the backpack.

If you are riding, you can do next three effects:
<ul>[*]normal hit damage to the opponent[*]physical damage of 0-25 to the opponent[*]paralyze the opponent( about 3s by PvP)[/list]

- Frenzied Whirlwind
This should be adjusted by the fix of Wilki in the next publish.

- Block
The defence chance of attacker will be increased during 4s after the hit.
The increased amount depends on the required sub-skill of the weapon(Bushido or Ninjitsu). If you use Sai, the amount depends on Ninjitsu. If you use Tessen with Bushido, the amount depends on Bushido.
The formula is as follows:
[( Skill - 50 ) / 7 ] + 5 (%)
This will be treated same as DCI of item propery and effected by the 45% cap.
(*) In this case, not the adjusted skill with accessories, but the real skill will be used.

(*) When the ML weapon has SE SpMs, it requires neither Bushido or Ninjitsu, but the effect depends still on Bushido or Ninjitsu. For example, you can use Block with wild staff without Bushido nor Ninjitsu, but it has no effect.

- Defense Mastery
Raises your physical resistance for 3s while lowering your ability to inflict damage.
The increased amount of physical resistance or the decreased amount of damage depends on the sub-skill of the weapon(Lajatang-Bushido, Kama-Ninjitsu).
Physical Resistance will be raised: [( skill -50 ) * 3/7] + 50
Skill 50 - Physical Resistance + 50
Skill 120 - Physical Resistance + 80( of course capped at 70)

damage will be decreased:[( skill -50 ) * 3/7] - 80 (%)
Skill 50 - damage will be decrease - 80%
Skill 120 - damage will be decrease - 50%
This is treated as "Damage Increase" of Item Property.

These formulae use real skill.

- Nerve Strike ( Bushido specific only with Bokuto )
You can do
<ul>[*]direct damage depending on Bushido[*]normal damage[*]paralyze the opponent( for about 2s by PvP)[/list]
Direct Damage will be calculated as follows: [(Bushido skill -50 )*3/14] + (0-10)
Bushido 50 : 0-10
Bushido 120 : 15-25
The formula uses real skill.
When you have done successfully Nerve Strike, the slayer weapon will not affect.

I

imported_athos_uo

- Talon Strike ( Ninjitsu specific only with Tekagi )
<ul>[*]damage will be increased 20%(included 300% cap )[*]Hit Point of the opponet will be decreased little by litte for 3s(slip damage)[/list]
PC cannot be killed only by slip damage. You must do another damage to the opponent PC to kill the PC.
The total amount of slip damage will be calculated as follows:
Total damage=[(Ninjitsu skill - 50 )/7] + 5
Ninjitsu 50 : 5
Ninjitsu 120 : 15
This formula uses real skill.

- Feint
All the kinds of damage from the opponent will be decreased about for 6s.
The decreased amount will be calculated as follows:
[(Skill - 50 )*3 /7] + 20 (%)
Skill 50 : 20% reduced
Skill 120 : 50% reduced
This affect all the damage of hit, magery spell, bomb, poison, what the opponent gives you.

(*) If you use Feint to the NPC with counter ability(bones of DF, daggars of Meer), and if you attack the opponent and the counter attack of the opponent works, also your damage will be reduced by Feint.

- Dual Wield
Your Swing speed will be faster about during 6s after hit.
The increased amount will be calculated as follows:
[(Skill - 50 ) * 3 /7] + 20 (%)
Ninjitsu 50 : + 20%
Ninjitsu 120 : + 50%
This will be treated same as SSI and affected by 60% cap.
It is availabe if you change your weapon within 6s.

- Double Shot
works as double strike. But the first shot will not be reduced by 10%.
Double strike of normal archery uses only one arrow, but double shot uses two arrows.

- Armour Pierce
works just same as crushing blow.

--
End of SE SpMs. I don't know well about SpMs of ML. They are not as useful as them of SE, I think.

G

(It's always important to talk up the things that matter to you in the game to get an active discussion on them
. I took it as sarcasm when you posted, but felt I should talk about PvP, since so many do seem to think it is dead. I'm not sure how many people are crossing shards for PvM, although it is common for rares dealers and the rich to buy hard to find items. Then, of course, you get into the nitty gritty "bad people" who use transfers for the wrong reasons. Then there are the "power guilds" (zerg, if we must), that seem to believe they can and will take over another shard. I've played 8 years, I'll rant about anything
. I have to say once more, 1% minimum on Oak? WHaaaaaaat! lol)

Also, an edit: thanks for the updated pages Jeremy, and thanks to Athos_UO from me as well, that's some solid, FAQ quality work.

C

Connor_Graham

I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but don't think for one second that your opinion is fact for everyone else. It's only an opinion. People play UO for different reasons, and with different goals. Your reasons and goals are certainly not mine. I enjoy the parts of UO that I find fun personally, which may or may not coincide with anyone else's definition of enjoyment in the game.

"PvP is the complete game"

PvP is one aspect of the game. Not one that I particularly care for, and for sure not the "complete" game, just one playstyle, no matter how much you may believe otherwise. My playstyle is "complete" for me. That's not saying it's the same for anyone else.

G

I accept that contract
. You know what one of my still-standing PvM goals is? Defeating the Dread Horn Champion Spawn! On my necro mage wrestler to boot :/. May it be too compromising, I believe in PvE, and for my personal outlook, PvP fulfills that (and requires that; every kind of fighting requires a bit of farming). I understand others will have different personal outlooks, but I encourage everyone to embrace PvP, as I believe strongly in the rewards I receive from that playstyle.

A

Al Thorin

<blockquote><hr>

Al, your sig is still the greatest ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you.
I enjoyed that pane quite a bit, and found it very fitting for the PVP scene.

I even got permission to use it!

I

imported_Thed

Jeremy,

Thank you for updating the info on runic bonuses.

One thing that seemed to be left out was the mention of Exceptional Quality.

It is one of those things that I am still somewhat confused about.

For Blacksmithy I think it is 35 or 40% bonus normally but when a runic is used it drops to 20 or 25% bonus (I can't remember the specific numbers).

And, are the Exceptional Quality Bonuses (with and without runics) the same across all the skills?

The Blacksmithy Skill Discription does not even mention the specific % Bonus number for Exceptional Quality, it just says:

"At a high level of skill, you may create exceptional items and mark them with a maker’s mark identifying you as the creator of the item. "

It would be nice to have the numbers (Exceptional Quality % Bonuses) added into the Playguide so that it is clear for runic/non-runic and skills.

Thanks, I do appreciate seeing the Playguide updated.

G

Exceptional quality is covered here - I don't see any reference to anything but blacksmity there, though. It's a good question.

Incidentally, I need to stop drinking caffeine, particularly on weekends - if you do a search for "2008" on the uo.com site you can check out the other pages I've hit. A lot of the skills just have the primary/secondary stats added, but quite a few of them have been reworked - Carpentry has a complete list of the non-special recipe items, as does bowcraft/fletching and blacksmithy, alchemy has the necro potions finally, item ID is now accurate (although still pathetic) and so on.

There's also one that won't show up in the search and that I totally can't take credit for - the ML dungeons. I just found this one - it appeared to have been set up but never properly published, and while I haven't figured out how to jam it into the database so it shows up in search, I did force it through so y'all can see it.

I

imported_athos_uo

SpMs after ML
This is a translation of the website of Gray AT Izumo.
He allows us to use, quote, reproduce his data or to link to his site freely.
I thank him very much and am proud of his work as a treasure box for Japanese UO players.

- Blade Weave
One of the next 8 SpMs fires:
crushing blow, mortal strike, bleed attack, armor ignore, paralyzing blow, double strike, feint, block.
Next three seem to be bugs:
<ul>[*]Paralyzing Blow: doesn't paralyze, but the opponent get 12 second's resistance against paralyzing.[*]Double Strike: 2nd hit will never happen.[*]Block: Defence Chance will be never raised even if with enough sub skills.[/list]
(*)Note:
Feint should be used with enough sub skills ( Bushido or Ninjitsu ), in order to have decent effect.

- Lightning Arrow
doesn't use any arrow. You can fire without arrows nor bolts.
When hitted, it gives 3 lightning(additional damage of energy elemental ) to the target and the enemy around it within 5 tiles(9x9) in sight of attacker.
You can do normal damage to the target.
If there are three enemies or less than three enemies within the area(9x9) including the target, each enemy gets a lightning. Each enemy will get only one lightning, doesn't get more than one lightning.
If there are more than three enemies, 3 will be selected at random and get one lightning. The target self will not always be selected.
The damage of lightning: 29-40(fixed).
The slayer weapon will not be valid if lightning arrow fires.

- Pcychic Attack
You give additional physical damage to the target and reduce the spell damage by the target.
The additional damage: ( Int of the attacker / Int of the target ) * 10 . ( Fractions will be dropped. )
Minimum 10 - Maximum 20. This will be reduced by the resistance of the target. So, if the physical resistance of the target is 70, the damage will be only 6 at most.
The reduction of spell damage is the contrary of SDI of item property.
The amount of reduction will be 4% by PvP and lasts for 8 seconds.
This seems to be 15% by PvM, but the accurate value is unknown.
The slayer weapon will be not valid.

- Force Arrow
doesn't use arrows nor bolts. You can give normal damage and reduce the Defence Chance of the target.
The amount of reduction is 4% by PvP and lasts for 8 seconds.
It is very difficult to measure it by PvM, therefor unknown.
Besides, it has effect to make the target fall in peace mode at the rate of about 40% (only by PvM).
You don't get attacked until the Mob targets again by AI.
In this case, if you give a damage to the target, you will be attacked back at once.

- Serpent Arrow
doesn't use any arrow. You can do normal damage to the target and give it poison at the same time.
The intensity of the poison and the success chance depends on Dex and the poison skill of the attacker.
The poison skill affects more than Dex.
Sometimes a snake with a red name appears.

If you successfully give poison to the target, the same amount of karma as you kill the NPC with + karma 650 will be reduced.
Karma will not be reduced if failed.

- Force of Nature
The hit damage will be multipled by 1.65. In compensation for it, the attacker gets the damage of poison of 25-35.

I

imported_athos_uo

The explanation of SpM in general

The next two things should be added, I think:
- Mana reduction
If the total amount of combat skill are 200.0 or more than 200.0, the required mana of SpMs will be reduced by 5.
If the total amount of combat skill are 300.0 or more than 300.0, the required mana of SpMs will be reduced by 10.
Combat skills are: Swordsmanship, Fencing, Mace Fighting, Archery, Parrying, Lumberjack, Poison, Stealth, Bushido, Ninjitsu.

- If you fire another SpM within 3 seconds after you fire the first SpM, the required mana will be doubled.( Publish 25 )

What I remark on each description:
Moving Shot
"Effect: Available on some crossbows, this special move allows archers to fire while on the move."
Not only on crossbows, you can use MS on Composite Bow.

Armor Ignore
"Effect: ..The Armor Ignore shot does slightly less damage than normal."
Actually 90%. But if you would like to hide the concrete value, it is of course OK.
The restriction by PvP should be added:
The damage will be capped at 35 only by PvP.

Dismount
Next three things should be added, I think:
- Beside the normal damage, you give about 20 physical damage of the dismount to the target
- Both the attacker and the target cannot ride again for about 10 seconds after the target gets dismounted (Publish 28)
- Animal Form of Ninjitsu is treated in general same as mounted.(Publish 46)

Paralyzing Blow
"Note: The 3(6) second duration is not broken by combat damage the way the paralyze spell is."
I think this description is wrong. The paralyze will be removed if damaged.

Bleed Attack
"Effect: Applies a total of 15-31 physical damage to the target over the next 10 seconds."
This is wrong, I think. Gray@Izumo has tested it, and get the result of "total 38-52(average 44) direct damage".
The next description would be added:
This SpM has no effect to elementals, skelton/ghosts, mechanicals and so on. But this can affect only to blood elemental because they have much blood.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Think about PvM and PvP with your own unbiased opinion. What is the challenge in PvM? Getting the last shot? Winning out on the RNG? PvM requires no skill when the end result is obtaining items. To defeat a paragon ancient wyrm? A peerless? Easily done. PvM is great as a team, but for the individual, PvP will always be more skillful, more challenging, and a greater mental reward for those willing to participate, because it doesn't require vampiric embrace and false skills, and the challenge of PvP is always present whereas PvM relies on new content and events to stay fresh (although, the 10th Anni add in was an awesome change). Even when other people cheat in PvP, the persistent PvPers win out. Can you say the same about crafters or spawners? Is the average crafter or spawner going to match the resource gain of a scripter? Nope. PvPers create their own economy, still face the RNG for the PvM aspect and scripters in the form of cams, but control that slim market at the front line. And while roleplayers try to make towns around Britannia, Factions actually control real towns and profit from vendors. If you get into all of the facets of PvP, you are going to be a crafter and a PvM as well. <u>PvP is the complete game.</u>

[/ QUOTE ]So I am discovering. *nod nod*

Inspirational post.

I

imported_Thed

Jeremy,

Thank You for the response.

I think it might be the first I have gotten directly from a UO person since I have been playing (8+ years) hehe.

Reading the page you linked to brought up another whole can of worms, calculating in what Arms Lore does for Exceptional Quality with all the crafting skills, runic and non-runic.

It is much appreciated seeing the Player Guide updated.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

If being a "fanboi" (extremely stupid phrase btw, EXTREMELY stupid. shows lots of immaturity any time it's used, in my oh so humble opinion) means enjoying playing the game more than being concerned about being "in the know" as to what's going on over at corporate, or having my personal wishes catered to, then yeah, label me with this idiotic label, because I have a blast every day that I log on.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, Connor, you can certainly judge my maturity level by a single word. Humility is not a virtue you've mastered, clearly. However, the point isn't that you enjoy playing the game more than being in the know, it's that you somehow feel that people who DO wish to know what's going on with a game that IS sliding downhill with every passing day, and that NONE of us here want to see happen is somehow a sign of being immature, pedantic, or otherwise demanding, arguing, complaining, or any other particular "ing" word you care to use. I'm glad you're having a blast every day that you log on. When I play, I enjoy my time in game too. However, the more I see the dismal state that UO is in, and the longer that it remains a stagnant game, the less interested I become in spending time in it, and for a game that has as much potential as UO, and for a game that has had as much time put into it as UO, that's a sad, sad state of affairs.

And that, Connor, is what you seem to be missing as the underpining of many of the threads that you dismissively wave off with your trite little comments that somehow make you more mature than other people in the thread simply because you didn't use the word "fanboi."

No one (or very few) wants to see UO turned off. The reality that it will happen someday is becoming more and more likely the more things that happen to it like UO:3D, UO:KR, and so forth. The game is in bad shape. Period. The KR client is incomplete, buggy, and an overall disaster. The design decisions made for the KR client were poor and misinformed at best. And if you think that's just my opinion, look around you.

UO is in trouble, and hearing from the DevTeam what the future holds (remember UO:SA?) is something that could help give interested people an idea as to what really is going on in the chaotic ocean that is EA Mythic/Ultima Online. And it's fine if you're not interested. But stop belittling people who ARE.
<blockquote><hr>

It's just too bad that so many posters here can't grasp the fact that they're supposed to be having fun, not worrying about what some suit has planned.

[/ QUOTE ]No. What's sad is that you seem to be perfectly content with the status quoa, the lousy shape the game's in, and with the lousy excuses that the DevTeam keeps shovelling out. It's too bad that a game as dynamic as Ultima Online isn't even meeting the basest of its possibilities. And it's REALLY sad that you're clearly well invested in the grape juice that they're passing out.

Because, honestly, if I wanted a multiplayer game that never-changed, I'd go play Monopoly. In my living room. And not pay $12.99 a month.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The one simple truth that you fail to realize Connor, is that Ultima Online is a service. A subscription service. We pay up to what...$12.99 per month? People here are complaining, and rightly so, at a severe lack of communication from the Dev team. The move is over, and they have had a month to conduct meetings and inspect their navels.

[/ QUOTE ]I haven't read further yet, but I'm certain someone's already pointed out that you're paying to play UO, and they don't owe us anything, blah blah blah. And probably missed the "It's only a game..." portion of the thread too.

But you're completely right about this. The MMO beast is something that in order to survive, requires the DevTeam to be open about what's going on in the game. Sure, you can run an MMO without it, but then... I guess we can all see what happens. Where are UO's subscription numbers? Anyone suggests anything over 125,000, and I'm going to get a good chuckle.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

or any other particular "ing" word you care to use.

[/ QUOTE ]Arrrrr, careful, 'fore ye gets called an ingrate!

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Arrrrr, careful, 'fore ye gets called an ingrate!

[/ QUOTE ]:)

That one gets 10/10!!!

I

imported_Heartseeker

Good posts.

I think you some up quite well, the feeling of the game right now.

Although I do have fun playing,there is a lot to be desired.

I was really trying with KR and being a cheerleader but there is more wrong with it than there is right.

UO needs a "State of the Union"; and frankly we deserve better.

Many of us have put a lot of time in and payed a lot of quatloo, so we should get a little satisfaction.

C

Connor_Graham

"Yes, Connor, you can certainly judge my maturity level by a single word."

The term "fanboi" is a derogatory term used in a weak attempt to discredit the opinions of the person it's aimed at, and is in simple terms, "name calling", which is very much an immature reaction on the part of the person using it. Sticks &amp; Stones and all that rot, ya know?

"it's that you somehow feel that people who DO wish to know what's going on with a game"

"Wishing" to know and "Demanding" to know are 2 different things. The people that "wish" to know simply ask questions in a adult manner and wait for an answer, understanding that NO ONE is obiligated in any way to cater to them personally, and that UO fans are lucky in the fact that EA Mythic does in fact, make an effort to communicate to it's playerbase directly more than any other game, which is something you rarely see in the gaming community. I've been on the "official" WoW forums, which is linked on their main website, and don't recall EVER seeing a WoW Dev make a single post.

"a sign of being immature, pedantic, or otherwise demanding, arguing, complaining, or any other particular "ing" word you care to use."

Hmm. Demand-ing. Insult-ing. Whin-ing. Complain-ing.

All things that prompted my initial post in this thread to begin with, and spot on. I'm sure insulting Jeremy and any and all of the Dev's is really going to make them comply to the "demands" that accompany all of the above. If the people that make these sort of posts would act more like adults in their posting, they might get a better reaction from the "idiots", "morons", "brain dead", and otherwise insulting labels, painted on the very people they're trying to get a positive reaction from. Negativity begets negativity. Act like an adult, and be treated as such. Being disappointed in something and voicing it in an adult manner is one thing. Insulting people, and in most cases the wrong ones, IS immature, not to mention counter productive, but then I've already covered how that works.

"However, the more I see the dismal state that UO is in, and the longer that it remains a stagnant game, the less interested I become in spending time in it"

That's a personal issue. Your personal measure of the reduction of the "fun factor" is particular to you, and only you. What you may consider boring, or no longer fun, does not apply to anyone else in the same regard. For example, while a large number of people find Mining or Lumberjacking to be boring, there is also a large number of people that find it fun and/or relaxing.

"The reality that it will happen someday is becoming more and more likely the more things that happen to it like UO:3D, UO:KR, and so forth."

The reality is that if the game isn't allowed to progress and be brought up to date as much as possible with today's genre of gaming, it will end up closing down sooner than it could have. The die hard 2D fans that refuse to accept that "eye candy" is what today's generation of gamers wants, are the same ones that will end up driving UO into the ground simply because they refuse to accept change, or even the need for it.

"UO is in trouble, and hearing from the DevTeam what the future holds (remember UO:SA?) is something that could help give interested people an idea as to what really is going on in the chaotic ocean that is EA Mythic/Ultima Online."

I believe I've pretty much covered this one. Want to hear from the Dev team? Then create an environment they don't mind being in, not one they dread.

'No. What's sad is that you seem to be perfectly content with the status quo"

Not at all. Not approving of people insulting others (and in this case for no good reason, not that there ever is) is a far cry from being content with the "status quo".

"It's too bad that a game as dynamic as Ultima Online isn't even meeting the basest of its possibilities."

It's too bad that a large portion of the posters refuse to accept change, yet still demand that change happen. Kind of a catch 22 there.

"And it's REALLY sad that you're clearly well invested in the grape juice that they're passing out."

They passed out grape juice? Was it Welch's? I'd be upset with myself if I missed out on some good Welch's white.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The term "fanboi" is a derogatory term used in a weak attempt to discredit the opinions of the person it's aimed at, and is in simple terms, "name calling", which is very much an immature reaction on the part of the person using it. Sticks &amp; Stones and all that rot, ya know?

[/ QUOTE ]My use of the word "fanboi" has nothing to do with name calling. The word fanboi is a descriptor for your typical response to anyone who happens to hold EA to task for the lack of information that is provided about the game. My only confusion here is how someone who writes "And yet again Friday, and another whine that something specific to you didn't get answered," somehow believes he has the right to get on a soapbox about maturity.
<blockquote><hr>

"Wishing" to know and "Demanding" to know are 2 different things. The people that "wish" to know simply ask questions in a adult manner and wait for an answer, understanding that NO ONE is obiligated in any way to cater to them personally, and that UO fans are lucky in the fact that EA Mythic does in fact, make an effort to communicate to it's playerbase directly more than any other game, which is something you rarely see in the gaming community. I've been on the "official" WoW forums, which is linked on their main website, and don't recall EVER seeing a WoW Dev make a single post.

[/ QUOTE ]You're completely off-base here, and have been for some time. Please explain why we, as paying customers for the Ultima Online product are somehow "lucky" that EA Mythic provides any information at all. Where do you get this strange idea that EA Mythic communicates with its playerbase directly more than any other game? From where I sit, I've played a multitide of games where communication about what's coming and going on in the game is FAR FAR FAR better than what EA Mythic currently or previously has offered.

See, while EA sits around saying, "We can't discuss stuff for {insert excuses of being afraid competition will spy on them, something won't actually get done that they 'promised,' et cetera}," other games actually tell you what they're currently working on. In fact, EA themselves used to be MUCH better about keeping people informed about what's going on. But in the past two, three years, we get to know the patch notes they day before they go live on Origin, and in most cases, it's the first we've heard about a particular thing.

So, uh, no... EA's winning no awards for customer contact.
<blockquote><hr>

Hmm. Demand-ing. Insult-ing. Whin-ing. Complain-ing.

All things that prompted my initial post in this thread to begin with, and spot on. I'm sure insulting Jeremy and any and all of the Dev's is really going to make them comply to the "demands" that accompany all of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? So "Somehow I feel like the yard dog that was expecting a ham bone and just saw a chicken bone tossed into my dish. Another week to wait for something really good to read," is somehow an insult to Jeremy? Please. Get over trying to justify your own immaturity.
<blockquote><hr>

If the people that make these sort of posts would act more like adults in their posting, they might get a better reaction from the "idiots", "morons", "brain dead", and otherwise insulting labels, painted on the very people they're trying to get a positive reaction from. Negativity begets negativity. Act like an adult, and be treated as such. Being disappointed in something and voicing it in an adult manner is one thing. Insulting people, and in most cases the wrong ones, IS immature, not to mention counter productive, but then I've already covered how that works.

[/ QUOTE ]Funny... I don't recall seeing a post in this thread about idiots, morons, or the brain dead. Maybe I missed something though. Certainly it wasn't in the first few posts prior to your wonderfully mature response.

<blockquote><hr>

That's a personal issue. Your personal measure of the reduction of the "fun factor" is particular to you, and only you. What you may consider boring, or no longer fun, does not apply to anyone else in the same regard. For example, while a large number of people find Mining or Lumberjacking to be boring, there is also a large number of people that find it fun and/or relaxing.

[/ QUOTE ]Never said it wasn't a personal issue, but if you think it's unique to me, you're completely out of your mind. There is a wide base of players out there that are waiting for something exciting to come down the path, and continue to be disappointed by the lackluster state that the game's in. Just because you respond to everyone who feels that UO is in a sad shape doesn't mean that your wave of the magic wand negates their feelings on the matter.

If you're happy with the way UO is, good for ya. Go play it. Enjoy it. Some of us are expecting it to continue to grow and evolve as it used to, and as it should rightfully continue to do, because those of us with a sense of foresight understand that continued stagnation of the game leads to a continued decline in the playerbase, and as that playerbase declines, the day that the servers go offline for good comes closer and closer.

I'm not Chicken Little, and I don't believe the sky is falling, but certainly the mistakes made in UO's development over the past two years is increasing the decline in subscribers, and that's not good for anyone interested in the game's future.

However, you're far too busy defending your own fun factor and arguing with anyone who wants and expects EA Mythic to have regular conversation and information flowing about UO's future to understand anything beyond your own minimalistic scope. Which is fine for you. But you don't need to harp on others who do expect that information.

And yes, we are entitled to expect information about the game we are currently subscribing to. The idea that this is "just a game" and that no one "owes us anything" and that we're somehow "lucky" to receive any information at all, much less lucky to be playing the game is a bunch of BS. You want to discuss luck, let's discuss it. EA is lucky that anyone continues to subscribe to the game given the state of its development over the last couple of years, EA is lucky that many people -- myself included -- have nostalgia and collected effort keeping them as subscribers, and EA is lucky to have a playerbase that is expecting communication from them. Don't start forgetting that this is a SERVICE, and at the heart of service is the CUSTOMER, NOT the business.
<blockquote><hr>

The reality is that if the game isn't allowed to progress and be brought up to date as much as possible with today's genre of gaming, it will end up closing down sooner than it could have. The die hard 2D fans that refuse to accept that "eye candy" is what today's generation of gamers wants, are the same ones that will end up driving UO into the ground simply because they refuse to accept change, or even the need for it.

[/ QUOTE ]The die hard 2D fans aren't what's keeping people from migrating to the KR client. The KR client is what's keeping people from migrating to the KR client. I'm in full agreement that the game needs to evolve. If you look back to pre KR release, I was a staunch defender of both KR and its development, because it SHOULD BE the future of UO. However, the KR client was released incomplete, buggy, and by most standards, unplayable. By unplayable I don't mean that it doesn't function, I mean that it functions poorly. UO's client needed some streamlining and some overhaul. What it did not need was to become every other MMO's interface.
<blockquote><hr>

I believe I've pretty much covered this one. Want to hear from the Dev team? Then create an environment they don't mind being in, not one they dread.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't have to create an environment that they don't mind being in. If they are working on UO and continue to receive a paycheck, then I expect that they'll be working on the improvement and betterment of UO. If they can't take criticism about their work, then they need to be in a different business altogether, because NO entertainment related business is without ridicule. If posts demanding information is what's keeping them tight-lipped then frankly they've got a lot of learning to do. There are some serious issues with how EA is handling UO, and it's not the playerbase that has caused those issues.

I mean, honestly, both EA and Sony are seriously aware what happens when you don't communicate with customers about what's coming. EA released UO:AoS without telling anybody what changes were coming down the line. Me, I understand that for UO to continue, it needed to move away from the simplistic item system that was initially in place, but had EA discussed it before thrusting it on us (not to mention, you know, making the release more stable, instead of waiting for 6 weeks to fix some of the major bugs with it), AoS wouldn't have resulted in a mass exodus of players and the remaining ones needing pacification.

Sony can share the same experience with SWG, which hasn't had a single expansion, and has a declining subscriber base since it completely changed the rules of the game. Similarly, it's because Sony just said, "Here's the newest expansion. Oh, and we're changing the fundamental rules of the game."

Communication is not a bad thing. In an MMO it is a required thing. If the people at EA can't do it, then they need to get people who CAN do it. 29 days into January, and they haven't announced what's coming in February, much less what's going on with SA. Your faith in EA is misguided and misplaced. I know. I used to be in your shoes.
<blockquote><hr>

Not at all. Not approving of people insulting others (and in this case for no good reason, not that there ever is) is a far cry from being content with the "status quo".

[/ QUOTE ]You really need to get a better feel for what constitutes an insult then.
<blockquote><hr>

It's too bad that a large portion of the posters refuse to accept change, yet still demand that change happen. Kind of a catch 22 there.

[/ QUOTE ]It's a shame that EA can't implement change in a complete, concise, and well managed manner. If you're suggesting that the KR client is complete, and that all UO needs now is for people to adopt it, you're wrong. Change is good only when the alternative is better than what exists, and while the KR client COULD BE better than the 2D client, it isn't. And won't be until they re-examine what makes UO the game that it is. Right now, they're just guessing.
<blockquote><hr>

They passed out grape juice? Was it Welch's? I'd be upset with myself if I missed out on some good Welch's white.

[/ QUOTE ];)

C

Connor_Graham

"The word fanboi is a descriptor"

Fancy word for name calling. *rolls eyes*

"Funny... I don't recall seeing a post in this thread about idiots, morons, or the brain dead"

Did I say it was said in this thread?

Nope. But it is said on a daily basis.

For the rest, all you did was rehash what you've already said, and I've already answered most of it previously. I'm not going to take any more of my time just to rephrase things I've already stated once, after all, I've got fun to get back to. The first post in this thread, the one I responded to, was nothing more than a complaint by that poster that their personal issue didn't get addressed, and a flippant remark (and yes, flippant remarks are intended to be insulting) as such.

"You really need to get a better feel for what constitutes an insult then."

Believe me. I'm quite aware of what an insult is, and am quite adept at avoiding them, as they're against the RoC, yet still getting my point across.

G

Hi Jeremy,

I'd like to request something... it's kind of insignificant... but...

Can we make jewelry engravable again? 10,000 diamonds? Etc. etc?

It'd be nice if someone could make something for their special someone, if you catch my drift. :p

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

"How are the various Chivalry spells' duration determined?"
There are three spells in Chivalry that have a variable duration - Enemy of One, Divine Fury, and Consecrate Weapon. Turns out they use very nearly the same formula. (Warning, math ahead!)

The base formula is as follows: duration in seconds = (square root(karma + 20000 + (Chivalry*100)) / divisor) The "divisor" part is the bit that varies from skill to skill - for EoO it is 1, for Divine Fury it is 10, and for Consecrate Weapon it is 20. "Karma" can be anything from -20000 to 20000. Chivalry can, obviously, be anything from 0 to 120. It's also all converted to an integer, so fractions are dropped.

As for the actual results, for people who don't want to play with spreadsheets:

Enemy of One: 109 seconds at -20000 karma, 178 seconds at 0 karma, 228 seconds at 20000 karma

Divine Fury: 10 seconds at -20000 karma, 17 seconds at 0 karma, 22 seconds at 20000 karma

Consecrate Weapon: 5 seconds at -20000 karma, 8 seconds at 0 karma, 11 seconds at 20000 karma

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats good to know but I have one unknown number in that equasion. My karma number. How can I figure out how long my EoO and fury spells last when I am unable to know exactly what my karma rating is?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

"How are the various Chivalry spells' duration determined?"
There are three spells in Chivalry that have a variable duration - Enemy of One, Divine Fury, and Consecrate Weapon. Turns out they use very nearly the same formula. (Warning, math ahead!)

The base formula is as follows: duration in seconds = (square root(karma + 20000 + (Chivalry*100)) / divisor) The "divisor" part is the bit that varies from skill to skill - for EoO it is 1, for Divine Fury it is 10, and for Consecrate Weapon it is 20. "Karma" can be anything from -20000 to 20000. Chivalry can, obviously, be anything from 0 to 120. It's also all converted to an integer, so fractions are dropped.

As for the actual results, for people who don't want to play with spreadsheets:

Enemy of One: 109 seconds at -20000 karma, 178 seconds at 0 karma, 228 seconds at 20000 karma

Divine Fury: 10 seconds at -20000 karma, 17 seconds at 0 karma, 22 seconds at 20000 karma

Consecrate Weapon: 5 seconds at -20000 karma, 8 seconds at 0 karma, 11 seconds at 20000 karma

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats good to know but I have one unknown number in that equasion. My karma number. How can I figure out how long my EoO and fury spells last when I am unable to know exactly what my karma rating is?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't gain any karma from daemons anymore, you're at 20000 karma. If you kill blue NPCs and don't lose any karma, you're at -20000 karma. All others in between are guesses.

Refer to the Stratics karma/fame title guide. Take a guesstimate, or time it.

G

The stratics chart (which includes numeric data is here - it's not exact, but it should give you a range to play with.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The stratics chart (which includes numeric data is here - it's not exact, but it should give you a range to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

No engravable jewelry?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

If you can't gain any karma from daemons anymore, you're at 20000 karma. If you kill blue NPCs and don't lose any karma, you're at -20000 karma. All others in between are guesses.

[/ QUOTE ] My pally is "Admirable" fame with comparable karma. So I am thinking karma rating of 7500-8000. I just wished that there was a way to check. I don't know why the devs keep that hidden from us.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] My pally is "Admirable" fame with comparable karma. So I am thinking karma rating of 7500-8000. I just wished that there was a way to check. I don't know why the devs keep that hidden from us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just kill daemons, man!

You'll be capped in no-time.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Just kill daemons, man!

You'll be capped in no-time.

[/ QUOTE ] Yer right,but my archery skill is only about 86ish and I hate when those darned daemons teleport right on me and triple cast poison,explosion,flamestrike without blinking an eye.

I

imported_athos_uo

(*)Note: The next explanation also comes from the test results by Gray@Izumo. I think, that his formula or value might not be perfectly accurate, but is accurate enough as far as you use it as a milestone.

The formula to calculate how many Karma you got:
- ( your current Karma + Karma of your opponent ) / 100 ( fractions are dropped )

If you have Karma of + 5000 now and kill a daemon that has Karma of - 15000, you get - ( 5000 - 15000 ) / 100 = 100 Karma.

If you have Karma of + 5000 now and kill Meer Mage of + 8000 Karma, you get - ( 5000 + 8000 ) / 100 = -130, that is, you lose 130 Karma.

<ul>[*]"(you got ) a lot of (Karma)" means that the amount of Karma you get is more than 40[*]a good amount of : 21-40[*]some : 11 - 20[*]a little : 1-10[*] - : 0 [*] ( you lost ) a little : (you lost ) 1-20 (Karma)[*] a good amount of : 21-40[*]a lot of : more than 40 [/list]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Cant say I agree with that. I havn't gained karma off deamons in a long long while, Current karma level is 5(trustworthy), still gaining a little karma from shadow wyrms and ancients. Recently started doin paragons and getting some karma from para dragons now
Healing 36 to 38 hps with 65 chiv.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Cant say I agree with that. I havn't gained karma off deamons in a long long while, Current karma level is 5(trustworthy), still gaining a little karma from shadow wyrms and ancients. Recently started doin paragons and getting some karma from para dragons now
Healing 36 to 38 hps with 65 chiv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was a good rule of thumb. :p

If you're only getting "some karma" from paragon dragons, you don't have to worry about what your karma level is at in regards to your Chivalry effectiveness.

G

Ive noticed a significant increase in the duration of spells and Hit points healed beyond deamons karma(am i makin any sense heh). Im like a karma *****, I get more upset losin karma then getting Pked! Anywho, good point deamons are a good way to get that Karma to trustworthy without much effort, but if ya want to heal the max amount of hps possible Id have to suggest trying to cap out your Karam, which Ive found perty difficult here lately.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Ive noticed a significant increase in the duration of spells and Hit points healed beyond deamons karma(am i makin any sense heh). Im like a karma *****, I get more upset losin karma then getting Pked! Anywho, good point deamons are a good way to get that Karma to trustworthy without much effort, but if ya want to heal the max amount of hps possible Id have to suggest trying to cap out your Karam, which Ive found perty difficult here lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Succubi. They're equal to Balrons in Fame and Karma, and once you stop gaining off of them, there's not a whole lot of room left to gain more until you get into the paragon version, or the Doom or Peerless bosses if you solo them.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's amazing that you can justify to yourself that you're not being insulting, and yet can define that the word fanboi is just immature namecalling and that flippant remarks are insulting.

*shrug*

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Long story short, people have a right to expect good, frequent communication about the service they subscribe to, and a right to know what's in the future for it to help determine if they will continue to subscribe. Period.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha! Great post.

MUNKEY SLING POO...MUNKEY GET POO SLUNG BACK...MUNKEY WANT MUNKEY WANT. MUNKEY NEVER SATISFIED SLING POO. MUNKEY GET IGNORED. MUNKEY SLING POO. MUNKEY STINKY.

MUNKEY CANCEL ACCOUNT. MUNKEY CLAN ALL CANCEL ACCOUNT. MUNKEY STILL SLING POO.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha! Great post.

MUNKEY SLING POO...MUNKEY GET POO SLUNG BACK...MUNKEY WANT MUNKEY WANT. MUNKEY NEVER SATISFIED SLING POO. MUNKEY GET IGNORED. MUNKEY SLING POO. MUNKEY STINKY.

MUNKEY CANCEL ACCOUNT. MUNKEY CLAN ALL CANCEL ACCOUNT. MUNKEY STILL SLING POO.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MUNKEY DOUBLE POST. MUNKEY LEAVE POST CUZ MUNKEY SLING POO!

Honestly, if I had Jeremy's job, I would not last long. Customer service. Community coordinator. Whatever. Not jobs for me. Monkey slayer 4tw.

J

JoyousGard

<blockquote><hr>

Arrrr, half this thread done just disappeared!

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Man, I have to start working less and reading Stratics more. I have missed too many scandalous posts.

Please save your rage and anger and emotion for after 6 Central.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!