• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] FoF: Antsy with Anticipation

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Posted to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/news/>uoherald.com's</a> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday101.html>Five on Friday:</a> <blockquote><span class=osi>

<font size=+1>FoF: Antsy with Anticipation
</font> Jeremy Dalberg
14 Mar 2008 15:27:03

Hats, cats, and, um, bards - check it out!</p>

"Why does crafting with a runic sewing kit NOT add any properties to hats?" </p>

Hats are not considered "armor" by the crafting system, although they are for loot drops. This is probably an oversight, considering they do have resists and behave exactly the same way as leather or metal helms; making them craftable in the same way would give everyone more fashion options! It's something we can certainly investigate in the future.</p>

"Why are caps and bonnets not possible (so it seems) as magical loot on monster corpses?"</p>

I have no earthly idea. They definitely are not on the list of possible random armor pieces that can spawn on monsters, though, unlike all the other hats. This has been submitted as a bug!</p>

"How are the stats/resists/skills of animals and monsters (including tamables) generated? Are they generated separately? In other words, is it possible to have top stats/resists/skills on the same animal/monster, or there is a hidden cap preventing this from happening?"</p>

Leurocian says,</p>

"Each creature is generated with a set range of stats/skills. Some of the stats/skills may be fixed and can only be one value. Others may have a minimum and maximum range. In the latter case, it’s a roll of the dice. It is possible, though, for a particular creature to have the maximum stats/skills for its kind upon spawning, but that’s highly unlikely."</p>

"Do the mod intensities from runic made armors/weapons still have a linear distribution?"</p>

Yes they do - what this means is if a runic hammer has an intensity range of 60% to 100%, it's exactly as likely to get a 60% intensity property as a 100% intensity property.</p>

"What is the barding difficulty for players and other NPC who can't be lored? Does hit point affect barding difficulty of players the same way as on other monsters?"</p>

A creature or NPC treats a player character as having a barding difficulty of 125, with one possible exception - if the player has been Discorded, his barding difficulty will be 120. Hit points, skills, stats, etc, do not affect that value - it's fixed.</p>

NPCs, even human ones, have a barding difficulty range based on their stats/skills/etc. just like any other creature does. </p>

What's To Come:</p>

The big news this week is that we are rapidly approaching a Test Center publish - shooting for mid-next week, barring complications. We also have the next event all QAed and ready for live testing - some of you may remember that the clock has been ticking in Moonglow for quite some time. Well, that clock is winding down...</p>

Since these announcements have been stretched out over several weeks, I've consolidated them all here so you get an idea of some of the non-event-related things that are going to be in this publish (this is not the full list of publish notes, just the highlights):</p>

New this week: </p> [*]Darkwood Armor will now have 100 Luck instead of Night Sight as part of its set bonus [*]More relatively minor worldbuilding fixes (incorrect tiles, spots where players got stuck) [*]Insured items can no longer be placed on a vendor for sale [*]Hairdressers and body sculptors will no longer go on walkabout [*]Several other smaller bugs and exploits fixed

Previously announced: </p> [*]Weapons should no longer lose properties when runic- or exceptionally-crafted. This should apply to everything, including ML recipe weapons [*]ML recipe bows will be able to be exceptionally crafted and get the Arms Lore bonus as well [*]Greater Dragons will give scales and barbed leather [*]Armor that doesn't have a meditation penalty - like leather armor - won't lose properties when runic-crafted [*]Runic-crafted elven armor won't roll Night Sight as a property [*]Parasitic, Darkglow, and Invisibility potions can be placed into kegs [*]Greater dragons are visibly named "Greater dragons" [*]Fixed a couple of worldbuilding trouble spots (places where folks would get stuck - one in Wrong, one in Magincia.) [*]Made several fixes that we ain't telling you about until they're live on all shards ;)

Pet Ball Changes:</p> [*]Pet summoning balls should unhide the summoner when attempting to summon her pet. [*]Pet summoning balls should have a couple second casting animation with the chance to disrupt like other spellcasting. [*]Pet summoning balls should have a reuse delay of 15 seconds. [*]Pet summoning balls cannot be used while in animal form.

Here is how the new AI should behave:</p>

Commands:</p>

Guard - The pet should guard as it does currently.</p>

Follow - The pet should follow. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked. (unless it is guarding)</p>

Come - The pet should walk to. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked. (unless it is guarding)</p>

Kill/Attack - The pet will attack its target as it does currently.</p>

Stop - The pet will stop attacking. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked, and may wander.</p>

Stay - The pet will stay where it is currently, and will not attack anything, even if it is attacked. (unless it is guarding)</p>

Note: The pet will revert out of passive mode if the pet's owner dies, if the pet is stabled, traded, player character transfers, player and pet log off, etc.</p>

QA is currently reviewing these changes internally. Once the changes pass internal review, they should appear on a public Test Center for an upcoming publish.</p>

Examples of new macro command combinations:</p>

You can tell your pet to guard while it's following you. This will put it in autodefend mode for itself and its master.</p>

To turn off guarding, tell your pet to stop or kill/attack.</p>

So for passive follow, you could do 'pet name' stop, 'pet name' follow me, and it will ignore attacks on you or your pet.</p>

For autodefend follow, you could do 'pet name' guard, 'pet name' follow me or 'pet name' follow me then 'pet name' guard. It doesn't matter what order you initiate the guard command. While your guarded, autodefend should work as normal. The pet will follow you in this case, but will fight whatever attacks you or itself. </p>

Next week should be exciting - we can't wait to get this build up on Test. It's just so satisfying to clean up so many of these old issues, plus the event has been a long time coming!</p>

Jeremy </p>

G

"How are the stats/resists/skills of animals and monsters (including tamables) generated? Are they generated separately? In other words, is it possible to have top stats/resists/skills on the same animal/monster, or there is a hidden cap preventing this from happening?"

I can't believe that made it into a FoF instead of a answer for the Increased Stable Slots question.

G

I must have missed this clock on Moonglow what is this all about?

G

<blockquote><hr>

some of you may remember that the clock has been ticking in Moonglow for quite some time.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean? Who?

edit: of course, this post makes no sense at all now that I've dropped the runes from my sig

G

<blockquote><hr>

Insured items can no longer be placed on a vendor for sale

[/ QUOTE ]

what in the hell is the point of this?

This could actually be detrimental to people, as someone may negelect to realize the item isn't insured, step out into the world and boom you're dead and there goes your new item.

Granted this could occur prior to the change anyways, and sometimes does, but why increase the liklihood of it?

plus its a pain in the arse to have to go through everything and un-insure it.

G

She's likely referring to the Blackrock Detector Machine that is being built in Moonglow.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sure hope this event has nothing to do with stuff i totally missed (like blackrock). That whole moonglow stuff must have happened before i came back to the game.

G

Because if you insure an item, then sell it to someone else, it will still say [insured] but it is NOT insured for them, only for you - so if they die, it won't stay with them.

Oh, and the stable slots question got covered last week.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

Are you fixing the guard wack problems associated with a pet guarding its owner in town?

F

Fayled Dhreams

hint

Next, the Mad Mage will finally make his way into Britannia. Look for the sightings of general mayhem and schizophrenia some time late March.

gonna need a back search in the calanders ...

to see how "long" this has been anticipated ..
time wise

I

imported_Nestorius

<blockquote><hr>

Because if you insure an item, then sell it to someone else, it will still say [insured] but it is NOT insured for them, only for you - so if they die, it won't stay with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I didn't know that. Perhaps that's a partial explanation for the insurance bug.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait ... are you saying that perhaps, just perhaps, the legendary "insurance bug" has been solved?

edit - oops too late

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

so what happens to all my items currently on my vendors that are insured?

Do I have to remove every single item, or will it be a case where bc they were previously on the vendor it will be considered "Grandfathered"?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Made several fixes that we ain't telling you about until they're live on all shards

[/ QUOTE ]

What cheater will get burned at effigy this time..... *Has visions of little scarrrows surounded by fire fields dotting the landscape*

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds logical.
But what happens to all the items that are currently insured and on a vendor? I run around 10 vendors, so I might miss an item.
I presume they will just remain safe on the vendor for sale?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats odd. I have bought many insured items and never lost any of them. I'm not so adept at staying alive either. There must be special circumstances.

G

Jeremy...speaking of hats...

Bandanas that are crafted using the BOD Reward Cloth have the 'bleeding' still appearing on the Paperdolls. Seems it's just these bright colored bandanas that have that awful mess showing.

I'd love to see this get repaired sometime. *smiles*

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect Jeremy... I know from personal experience. An insured item is insured no matter who insured it, and will reinsure so long as the player who dies with the item has "auto renew insurance" on.

A better fix would of been making "auto renew insurance" on by default.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Sheesh ... sounds like a pretty good "heads up" ...

Rather than trying to instantly find out "what will be" ... re: what about items already that way ...
got a couple of hours to tend your vendors BEFORE the change comes ...

won't have to rely on what maybe the case ...
won't really have any valid "alibi" to fall back on that way ..

but but but you said ...

FoF: Insured items can no longer be placed on a vendor for sale

^^Thats enough information to START acting on now

Add in this little "insight"

All GOOD kind careing considerate legitimate Vendor Operators ...
are already OUT tending their vendors ...

Or WILL be ... as soon as that tidbit gets passed around ...

G

I second that.

I have received my fair set of death robes too and I have never lost an item...
well probably will do next time I log in just because I said so.

Regards
The Scandinavian

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect Jeremy... I know from personal experience. An insured item is insured no matter who insured it, and will reinsure so long as the player who dies with the item has "auto renew insurance" on.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, Jeremy is wrong here. Maybe she means in some circumstances, not every time.

I am concerned about this, there's bound to be a rash of lost newly-bought items following this. Surely a better fix would be that if you pick up an item that is marked 'insured' it automatically re-insures for you, that's how players expect it to work.

G

fayled no offense intended, but the only thing I can claim to take from having read your post is that you feel that I am recieving a warning far enough in advance that I should take my personal time to go and change every single item on my vendors.

I pay my monthly rate as does everyone else, to play uo, not to have to
un-insure hundreds of items.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, especially when the change is completely unnecessary, it fixes nothing.

G

if you have the time to stock and maintain hundreds of items then you have time to uninsure things also.

G

You want them to fix your vendors for you? So that you'll miss the opportunity to role-play the shopkeeper's joyous ritual of taking of inventory?

G

<blockquote><hr>

if you have the time to stock and maintain hundreds of items then you have time to uninsure things also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it takes about maybe 30 mins to an hour tops daily to restock vendors, and that is spread out throughout the day not all at once.

So no you're incorrect in youre assumption that being able to find the time to perform one task equates to being able to perform the other.

Thats really besides the point though as the issue at hand was my time and what i chose to do with it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You want them to fix your vendors for you? So that you'll miss the opportunity to role-play the shopkeeper's joyous ritual of taking of inventory?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall asking them to fix anything, I asked if items currently on the vendor will have to be changed or if they will be considered grandfathered until sold or removed.

M

MYUO

Thank you for answering those taming, barding and runic questions. This is the first time my questions got answered - feel like getting a special gift from dev.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't recall asking them to fix anything, I asked if items currently on the vendor will have to be changed or if they will be considered grandfathered until sold or removed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh? Perhaps I misunderstood when you said ...
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
In any case, no offense intended - just poking some fun, sorry if it came out more like a jab.

M

mmmbeer05

oh my gosh thery are actually fixing runics!!! very old bugs indeed to get fixed....

now how bout some bard lovin and fix voke bug!!!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple">DVI, before you go to all that trouble, perhaps what is meant is from this point on you cannot place the items.... cause it doesn't say anything will affect the ones already there

and yah, I know...... prior performance and all that

but.... if I had that many vendors, I wouldn't be scramblin' to uninsure </font>

I

imported_Fran Fury

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%.I have had lots of items (insured by someone else) on when I died and the only time I ever lost anything was on a new character that I forgot to turn auto renew insure on.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="purple">DVI, before you go to all that trouble, perhaps what is meant is from this point on you cannot place the items.... cause it doesn't say anything will affect the ones already there

and yah, I know...... prior performance and all that

but.... if I had that many vendors, I wouldn't be scramblin' to uninsure </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I that was my thought as well, and I asked if they would be considered grandfathered until purchased or removed, but there was no response or clarification.

Fortunatley, I had removed my Atlantic vendors in preperation of transfering the stock back to Lake Superior, so I'm only at 8 vendors currently rather than what couldve been significantly more.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What the heck, they let you advertise your sale of UO Gold for cash, right here on Stratics, but they won't fix your vendors for you too? Shame on them...

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

100% Wrong. You are confusing insurance with personal bless deeds.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with the other comments regarding this one.

I have 9 PvP or PvM characters and I have many many times changed insured items out between them. I've never lost an item because it was insured by a different character.

All in all though a pretty good FoF and it's looking up to be a particularly good publish too. Thanks.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Because if you insure an item, then sell it to someone else, it will still say [insured] but it is NOT insured for them, only for you

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe so.

I'm fairly sure I've bought items that were insured that did remain insured and behaved properly. Also, I've traded items by hand with people that were insured and they stay insured.

Don't know where you got that info but it makes no sense. Insurance is item related, not character.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Has this been internally tested and discovered to be true? I've never experienced this. Perhaps someone confused insurance with personal blessed items but I think I've died enough that I would've noticed...

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

100% Wrong. You are confusing insurance with personal bless deeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree - I never lost items, which I purchased in insured state from someone else.
Also as I had a shop in Felucca near Brit gate in the past, I preinsured more valuable stuff as service for my customers.
With dropping this possibility you make it even harder to run a competitive shop/vendor in Felucca.
*Salute*
Olahorand

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Need some more investigation and details about this. I have one outfit that is used by 2 different characters and haven't experienced this problem. But if there is a chance that this could cause a problem we need details.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
<blockquote><hr>

Also as I had a shop in Felucca near Brit gate in the past, I preinsured more valuable stuff as service for my customers.
With dropping this possibility you make it even harder to run a competitive shop/vendor in Felucca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course now any decent shop in Fel will be camped by stealth archers waiting for someone to buy that uber piece of merchandise that is not insured.

*notices all the pk's drooling and plotting in the corner*

G

Mhh...an event is coming? Cant wait to reactivate my account then...:)

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if you have time to sell abunch of pixels on the side then you have time to unisure your stuff and not shaft some naive player. Instead of directing the loss as their fault and not yours.

That's as bad as selling a used item and not repairing the durability before you sell it.

I hope, for the sake of newbies, they make those items unsellable.

later.

J

Justy

<blockquote><hr>

Parasitic, Darkglow, and Invisibility potions can be placed into kegs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hallelujah!!!

Although you already could put invisibility potions into kegs. At least I could.

But thank you on the other ones.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I just placed an insured item on my vendor, bought the item with a character from another account, let the character die, resurrected the character and the item was in the character’s back pack. So, judging by a quick test, I would have to say that your statement is not accurate.

In the past I have moved insured items from character to character and have never encountered any problems with an item insured on one character failing work on another.

S

stevensnr6

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course now any decent shop in Fel will be camped by stealth archers waiting for someone to buy that uber piece of merchandise that is not insured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utterly stupid change...there is another reason not to go to Felucca.

Putting it on a vendor you could loose it to ganking.

Further...the instant you buy it you could get ganked.

Why not fix the actual problem and make it insured for everyone, regardless of who does it. Then again, it's Ultima...plan for the worst, pray for better.

J

Justy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Utterly stupid change...there is another reason not to go to Felucca.

Putting it on a vendor you could loose it to ganking.

Further...the instant you buy it you could get ganked.

Why not fix the actual problem and make it insured for everyone, regardless of who does it. Then again, it's Ultima...plan for the worst, pray for better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go shopping in Fel you've got a screw loose to begin with.

Then again, what's that Fel mantra?