• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Exclusive Interview with Maxis Luc!!!!

I

imported_corpatortis

And for those who hate to click/scroll excessively.. Direct Link To Luc Interview

I'm not sure how I feel about the bio pictures. I like being able to have *some* idea of what a sim looks like without needing to track them down.

G

I am really, really, really excited about having the ability to put into my sim bio profile a pic that isn't my avatar.

Really, really.

Also really, really, really excited that Object Missing is going to be a story we can tell our avatar grandchildren about the old days.

Great interview!

K

Kellyn

I would love for them to fix whatever is making people lose items as I have lost so much CC stuff out of my inventory that I can't even keep count. Nothing else disappears from my inventory, just expensive CC stuff.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Not to worry Corp! My bio will always have a sim likeness of me on it. But now I can hire one of those talented siggie makers we have around stratics to create a new look for me with simpose! This is awesome news!

I

imported_corpatortis

I was going to make an argument that now we will have to ask m/f but as if people don't lie about that already *snicker*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Luc: We’re changing the software to limit the risk of exploits. We also have monitoring that triggers alerts as soon as exploits are detected. This exploit was a great dress rehearsal for us! In the future, as soon as the exploit alerts go off, it will shut down the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what this part will be like ... maybe I should go knock on wood, eh?

G

<blockquote><hr>

awesome info, love the pic, luc is hottie hotness!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

Really great interview! *two thumbs up*

A

Anarela

<blockquote><hr>

Not to worry Corp! My bio will always have a sim likeness of me on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please tell Luc we are SIMS... I hate being an Avatar... pls, pls, pls... how can we go back to be called sims...simmies, simmy... whatever... but... what can you do with Avatar other than Avator (so close to Aviator)

Booohooo

I'm a SIM !!!!!!!!!!

I

imported_sedusa

That was an awesome article. Job exceptionally well done Autumn Kiss.

G

<blockquote><hr>

i liked that interview, luc seems like a nice person

[/ QUOTE ]

That is *so* not what I pictured him looking like in person....funny how you get a 'mental picture' of somebody by thinking of a likeness to their sim, unless they are a pink or purple gorilla, a teddy bear sim or have blue, pink or green hair in the game......LMAO.

G

Little Insiders Fact: When that pic was being taken, I stood there saying, "Think pretty! Think pretty!" That's why he has that look on his face. Like he wants to tell someone to shuttie.

::giggles::

Edited to add: Thanks for the interview AK! You truly did an awesome job.

G

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. I'm glad y'all enjoy the interview... keep an eye out for an upcoming interview with our very own Parizad, and some giveaways that we have planned!

~AK

I

imported_Danny Dots

great info! How came they didn't tell us about the bio pictures

Well I guess they just did, lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

great info! How came they didn't tell us about the bio pictures

Well I guess they just did, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's an exclusive that we got over at Allakhazam. I believe it is going up on the blog tomorrow.

G

Excellent interview

I am confused about this part:

<blockquote><hr>

The Sims Online was put "under the knife" for a total face lift and has re-emerged in EA Land, with a merger of all the cities (servers) that previously existed in TSO. Many new changes have occurred,

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing different I have seen is that the cities were combined into one city and we can make CC statues, chairs,table ornaments, and put jpgs on our lots.

Is that the total facelift?

Im still doing the exact same things I did 4 years ago when I log in.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Excellent interview

I am confused about this part:

<blockquote><hr>

The Sims Online was put "under the knife" for a total face lift and has re-emerged in EA Land, with a merger of all the cities (servers) that previously existed in TSO. Many new changes have occurred,

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing different I have seen is that the cities were combined into one city and we can make CC statues, chairs,table ornaments, and put jpgs on our lots.

Is that the total facelift?

Im still doing the exact same things I did 4 years ago when I log in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The facelift has come in the form of the new name for the game, the game currency and our new name for our in-game characters....avatars. The game mechanics hasn't changed but that's a marketing technique that is pretty common everywhere....phrases like 'total facelift' when there haven't been any big changes. The same type comments were made when the N&amp;I version of the game came out.....other than not having to download as many patches when you had to reinstall from the disks, there wasn't a whole lot of change to it. LOL.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

There have been alot of things added we can't even see. Their ability to detect exploits is just one of many. They have created better tools for tracking the money in the economy. Introduced the use of ATM for more secure purchases of whateverbucks. Secured deed trades for house sales. The game is changing. The introduction of more sims per subscriber account and having all of those sims in one city has changed the game mechanics if you choose to use it. I know I'm not playing the same game I played last year.

G

Congrats on a job well done.

Very interesting article but you forgot to ask him about the hair salon!!! My 'avatar' seriously needs to get ther roots done!

S

SugarCane

Luc: My avatar travels a lot, and visits as many properties as possible (usually in my pajamas or swimsuit). Because I’m smart, usually I turn on hyper skilling to feel the love as I visit houses and bounce around.

A

anniebonz

<blockquote><hr>

Luc: My avatar travels a lot, and visits as many properties as possible (usually in my pajamas or swimsuit). Because I’m smart, usually I turn on hyper skilling to feel the love as I visit houses and bounce around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on over to my house, I'll show you some love....you game developing McHottie

G

<blockquote><hr>

There have been alot of things added we can't even see. Their ability to detect exploits is just one of many. They have created better tools for tracking the money in the economy. Introduced the use of ATM for more secure purchases of whateverbucks. Secured deed trades for house sales. The game is changing. The introduction of more sims per subscriber account and having all of those sims in one city has changed the game mechanics if you choose to use it. I know I'm not playing the same game I played last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite right!

Umm.... how many new players do you reckon the ATM, Secure deed, exploit management, money tracking, etc. have brought in?
just askin'.

Ok - sorry for the sarcasm - but the frustration level is running very high.
Personally, I think all the secure features, all the background stuff, all the prep work for future additions, is great - I'm glad they're looking ahead.
But, all these things are intangibles - there has been very little to add to the fun aspect of the average player's game experience.... and a great deal taken away.
I like this game, too - and I don't want to see it fail. But, it is impossible to see this game succeed in it's present form, and the devs will not talk about when/if things will get better.
It is simply unreasonable to expect people to continue subscribing to a game which they feel is a waste of time and money.

I'm not advocating anybody leave the game, I'm just asking for the devs to turn on the lights and look around.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on over to my house, I'll show you some love....you game developing McHottie

[/ QUOTE ]

o snap lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Umm.... how many new players do you reckon the ATM, Secure deed, exploit management, money tracking, etc. have brought in?
just askin'.

Personally, I think all the secure features, all the background stuff, all the prep work for future additions, is great - I'm glad they're looking ahead.
But, all these things are intangibles - there has been very little to add to the fun aspect of the average player's game experience.... and a great deal taken away.
I like this game, too - and I don't want to see it fail. But, it is impossible to see this game succeed in it's present form, and the devs will not talk about when/if things will get better.
It is simply unreasonable to expect people to continue subscribing to a game which they feel is a waste of time and money.

I'm not advocating anybody leave the game, I'm just asking for the devs to turn on the lights and look around.

[/ QUOTE ]
Donavan, I hear you. I do. And I think so do a lot of other folks. But lest we forget... an important piece of information overlooked so far in my interview is that EA was planning on shutting this title down by now.

But Luc and his team recognized that there was still much left that could be had here, for both sides of the fence.

I know it's a long time coming, and that the frustration level has been peaked time and again. But keep in mind that we now have the most active development team since launch, and that many features requested - scratch that, the most requested feature - is just within reach. Custom content. True custom content.

Asking for the players to have more patience is almost like rubbing salt in an open wound, I know. But in this case, I think the devs intend to deliver on both the old and new promises, and that we, the players, will be seeing a whole new world emerge before our very eyes before it is all said and done.

Optimism is my name, after quitting the game over pessimism.

~AK

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I'm probably one of the rare few that has not been frustrated with lack of custom content in this game for years. I do see a great potential with this addition in attracting new players and artists as well as adding to the "economy" game aspects.

I am very excited with their concentration on the "disappearing object bug". Do you realize that I lost my first objects to this bug in April of 2003! Long before we had anniversary gifts or rares in the game. This one has been a long time coming!

The game has always had lag issues. Why do you think we were limited to just 18 sims in a house for all those many years? This is one bugger that has to be tracked down and dealt with before anything new can be added too!

Not only are the devs re-designing a new game but they are having to deal with coding problems that have been around for years.

I am actually quite pleased in their priorty list.

G

*ttl*

Something just occured to me. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Dream Team had a deadline in which to put this game 'in the black' and that if it wasn't reached we'd get the final boom of the 90 day notice. I also thought I read that this deadline was sometime around the first of April. There's no mention of that in this article, or that the game is still in 'jeopardy' so does that mean the fat has been pulled out of the fire, at least for a while? *hopes* *hopes* *hopes*

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite right!

just askin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donovan, I completely get what you are saying. But to touch off on a few things...
I understand the need to fix the things we don't see, to update all the coding and graphics. When did the original sims come out? Because thats pretty much the coding we are running off of. Or were. Over 10 years old. that needs to be fixed, and updated. It'd be moot to build upon that and stay in the dark ages of gaming. It is frustrating to us to not see this... but I am one of the few who do plan on playing this game in the future. I am selfish. I want to be as cool as possible. Direct x and the whole 9

In the bad days. (I think during your hiatus) The days where we had no team. Where Parizad had nothing to tell us. Where it was bleak and hopeless and there about 8 new posts a day in city hall referring to botters, the exploit and the terrible economy...Nobody thought we'd ever see an update again. Stratics started locking down the suggestion forums.

Even before that during the many "custom content never coming to TSO" threads, people would talk about how they would wait as long as it took. Just to have it.

Then Luc came in with his talk of economy, and we went from 8 posts a day here, to hundreds. People came back (like yourself and so many others I see) and there is an actual community again. There are updates to report.

Bottom line is I am willing to wait. I'm willing to be patient. Nobody is forcing me and i can understand the frustrated players.

But its all out there on the table?

In the dev chats on MIRC, and the blog they have always given a timeline for this stuff... and it's always pretty out there.

I don't see any cards up their sleeves. I think that they are serious about making this game a success. Going from a staff of 1 1/2 to a staff of 19 in six months... is pretty serious to me.

I don't want to say hang in there, or any of that cliche mumbo jumbo. but we all do have a choice to be here. And the potential fun... to me is unlimited. Sometimes when I read these updates, or the things that are set to happen, I feel like I'm back in the beginning when I couldn't wait for stores to open up and all that stuff.

Sorry If I dont' make any sense, I'm at work and was interrupted a total of 27 times (I counted) in the typing of this post.

G

<blockquote><hr>

an important piece of information overlooked so far in my interview is that EA was planning on shutting this title down by now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not overlooking that at all - It has been on my mind since I returned 8 months ago.
It would be a shame to suffer that result now, after all the hard work - just because there is too tight a focus on one particular issue, and not nearly enough on the things that are important to the average player.

Just a little "developmental balance", that's all I'm suggesting.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite right!

just askin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donovan, I completely get what you are saying. But to touch off on a few things...
I understand the need to fix the things we don't see, to update all the coding and graphics. When did the original sims come out? Because thats pretty much the coding we are running off of. Or were. Over 10 years old. that needs to be fixed, and updated. It'd be moot to build upon that and stay in the dark ages of gaming. It is frustrating to us to not see this... but I am one of the few who do plan on playing this game in the future. I am selfish. I want to be as cool as possible. Direct x and the whole 9

In the bad days. (I think during your hiatus) The days where we had no team. Where Parizad had nothing to tell us. Where it was bleak and hopeless and there about 8 new posts a day in city hall referring to botters, the exploit and the terrible economy...Nobody thought we'd ever see an update again. Stratics started locking down the suggestion forums.

Even before that during the many "custom content never coming to TSO" threads, people would talk about how they would wait as long as it took. Just to have it.

Then Luc came in with his talk of economy, and we went from 8 posts a day here, to hundreds. People came back (like yourself and so many others I see) and there is an actual community again. There are updates to report.

Bottom line is I am willing to wait. I'm willing to be patient. Nobody is forcing me and i can understand the frustrated players.

But its all out there on the table?

In the dev chats on MIRC, and the blog they have always given a timeline for this stuff... and it's always pretty out there.

I don't see any cards up their sleeves. I think that they are serious about making this game a success. Going from a staff of 1 1/2 to a staff of 19 in six months... is pretty serious to me.

I don't want to say hang in there, or any of that cliche mumbo jumbo. but we all do have a choice to be here. And the potential fun... to me is unlimited. Sometimes when I read these updates, or the things that are set to happen, I feel like I'm back in the beginning when I couldn't wait for stores to open up and all that stuff.

Sorry If I dont' make any sense, I'm at work and was interrupted a total of 27 times (I counted) in the typing of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, you're making sense - I have no problem with all that.
But, look at it this way - people (like me, and others) left the game for a reason - stagnation. We came back because of the promises to 'freshen-up' the game. Now, we are experiencing a different kind of stagnation, and even a very real backwards step. It wouldn't take much to cause another exodus.

As important as the changes you outlined are; there are are other changes that are just as important - for one, an infusion of 'fun' items/activities to replace those that were taken out.
A very real statistic of the game is that the majority of players do not have the same patience and loyalty as most of the long-term players. So, while there may be hundreds of old school players who have the patience of Job and are willing to wait and trust in the devs - there are thousands of 'ordinary' players (who make up the majority) who are only interested in playing something enjoyable.
If we lose them - we lose the game.
They'll just up and move along without a backward glance - I've done it and I'd bet many of our long time players have too.

So, while there are plans to cover the "infrastructure", I don't remember reading about his plans to offset the current dissatisfaction.

And, frankly - that worries me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]These are perfectly fair and reasonable concerns. But one thing I think we're all losing track of is that EA-Land is still a Work in Progress. All the preliminary groundwork and "behind the scenes" stuff that's been done so far has been to prepare TSO/EAL for its future transformation -- basically, getting everything in place so that EAL can pass muster with EA when that deadline they gave comes. Once over that hurdle, I believe, is when the visible work begins.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]These are perfectly fair and reasonable concerns. But one thing I think we're all losing track of is that EA-Land is still a Work in Progress. All the preliminary groundwork and "behind the scenes" stuff that's been done so far has been to prepare TSO/EAL for its future transformation -- basically, getting everything in place so that EAL can pass muster with EA when that deadline they gave comes. Once over that hurdle, I believe, is when the visible work begins.

[/ QUOTE ]
You give the suits at EA too much credit, I think.
They don't care about the background stuff - just the numbers. How many paying subscribers? How much profit in the last quarter?
Remember, for a company the size of EA, the Board members are not likely to be programmers and game designers - they would be businessmen; brought in to handle the business side of the company.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. I'm glad y'all enjoy the interview... keep an eye out for an upcoming interview with our very own Parizad, and some giveaways that we have planned!

~AK

[/ QUOTE ]

PFFT! But will we see a pic of the elusive Parizad? And can i just say again, in case it hasnt been said enough, Luc is hot!

G

<blockquote><hr>

PFFT! But will we see a pic of the elusive Parizad? And can i just say again, in case it hasnt been said enough, Luc is hot!

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if she lets me (I actually have one of the two of us from GDC in February)... and yes, someone's "developer McHottie" comment was spot on!

S

Sunflowers

<blockquote><hr>

I would love for them to fix whatever is making people lose items as I have lost so much CC stuff out of my inventory that I can't even keep count. Nothing else disappears from my inventory, just expensive CC stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they need to fix that asap. It's gonna be a month I lost all my stuff not to mention twice it has happened, and I have not heard from them. Meanwhile my money and stuff goes does the drain. It happened to me when I placed my stuff around my house and next day I got the message my stuff was missing. Then I left some stuff in my inventory and I got online the next day, they disappeared once again. They need to fix this asap, it sucks having it happen twice. All I do is make money and skill and all that money goes down as well. Please fix this asap. I understand all devs are busy working and have little time to read e-mails but I know a lot of people who have lost stuff and its been months and no word. Just fix whatever it is, and the rest of us won't complain anymore.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They don't care about the background stuff - just the numbers. How many paying subscribers? How much profit in the last quarter?
Remember, for a company the size of EA, the Board members are not likely to be programmers and game designers - they would be businessmen; brought in to handle the business side of the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it's looks like some very high level creatives are running the show.
To dismiss what's happening as suits versus hoi polloi is reductionist.
imho.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

To dismiss what's happening as suits versus hoi polloi is reductionist.
imho.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't mean it's not true.