• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Event Scheduling FAQ from EM Seppo

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
from goldenbrewtavern.com

Event scheduling FAQ

Sunday, August 2, 2009
By EMSeppo

Just a few notes regarding event scheduling:

1) There are many factors that go into event scheduling. But one of the primary factor is generally about our own availability.

2) Baja is a West Coast shard. This means that events can and will be scheduled anywhere upto 11 PM PST. However, we have largely gravitated towards late afternoon event times as it works out for almost all the time zones… (except perhaps for some talking chickens)

3) We do want everyone who calls Baja home to enjoy events. As a result, we do try to spread out our event times. However, this also means that there will always be some who cannot attend for whatever reasons. But fear not, there will be an event in the near future coming at a more suitable time near you!

4) Don’t forget to try out the week-long puzzle quests that are organized every few weeks which can be done at the comfort of your own timezone.
If an event time does not work for you then read the excellent news reports prepared by the Baja Stratics News Reporter team. BTW, I hear they could use some volunteers to keep up the good work.
----------------------------------------------------------

To reply to EM Seppo's post on goldenbrewtavern.com, use this link. (You'll notice a 'talking chicken' has already posted a reply there. :thumbsup: )

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

On the off chance that EM Seppo reads anything posted on UO Stratics, and for the rest of you who know who you are, I would remind folks that a recent UO Baja Poll reflected more eastern timezone players on Baja than any other timezone:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=147246

So while I recognize fully that Baja is a west coast/pacific timezone shard, some folks may hope that our EM's, reporters, etc. are at least attempting to meet all of our players needs.

Surely no one would want a majority of our active players to move to other shards when just a little consideration and planning could better meet everyone's needs and timezones.

Respectfully,

Elladan of Baja (an often burner of the post-midnight oil)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Based on the comments made by me and several others, I suspect the combination of votes for the Pacific and Mountain Time zones would have outnumbered the Eastern Time zone votes, Elladen. I know I didn't vote because there was no accurate choice for me to use, and I think a few other people who stated they live in the Mountain Time zone did the same thing or threw their votes in the Other category.

Could you perhaps re-do the poll with a more complete listing of time zones, including Mountain Daylight Time, Alaska Daylight Time and Hawaii Standard Time, three of the four time zones closest to Pacific Time that were NOT included in the poll? Stratics polls let you include up to 10 choices.

Y

Yalp

I can see the point peeps have made in this thread, but regardless of whether the poll is redone with every conceivable time zone, what is surprising is that there are so many east coast players on a west coast shard. That's great news in my book, the more the merrier!

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eastern, Central, Pacific & Other covers all possibilities. If not one of the first 3, other covers em all. I was only interested in those 4 choices. Regardless, eastern had more players than central or pacific, and more than other.

While not scientific, I was not surprised by the results. Even based on that unscientific result I do NOT suggest that a majority of all players should be inconvenienced to cater to eastern timezone players. All I suggest is that some reasonable consideration be given to those playing Baja from the eastern timezone.

Regardless, such players have NO real say in the matter, but we are able to voice such suggestions in forums such as this.

Tina, please feel free to post your own poll. The one I posted met my needs and interests.

Thanks to all for reading and commenting,

Elladan of Baja burning eastern timezone midnight oil

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eastern, Central, Pacific & Other covers all possibilities. If not one of the first 3, other covers em all. I was only interested in those 4 choices.
:coco:

Tina Small said:
Could you perhaps re-do the poll with a more complete listing of time zones, including Mountain Daylight Time, Alaska Daylight Time and Hawaii Standard Time, three of the four time zones closest to Pacific Time that were NOT included in the poll? Stratics polls let you include up to 10 choices.
I just took a tally from the replies.

EST - 11
PST - 10
MST - 7
CST - 7
Alaska - 1
Other - "9"

West Coast - 18 Players (PST, MST, Alaska, Hawaii)
East Coast - 18 Players (EST, CST)

You can't accurately gague the population of a West Coast shard by relegating half of the West Coast players to the "Other Catagory."

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sample isn't accurate anyways, it only covered a small portion of Baja that actually frequents Stratics on a regular basis and, on top of that, actually bothered to read and respond to the thread.

There's really no way to satisfy everyone, the EMs have the right idea: just do enough quality events at all different kinds of hours that no one really feels left out. The current knee jerk reaction of those feeling left out will dissipate in time; we're all mostly used to having events that only happen once in a blue moon and we're afraid of missing out.

From what the EMs seem to be hinting, we needn't fear missing out of all of the events, but we should probably be concerned about what kind of schedules we're setting for ourselves if we can make it to all of them haha.