• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News][EM] Sea Captain's Battle Event

Catskills News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Catskills,

Some news from our EMs:
Prepare your sailing gear and put on your water-resistant britches, it is time to brace the seven (or however many Britannia may have..) seas.
There will be some wrinkles in this sea fairing warfare, the likes landlubbers and proficient seamen alike have not seen. Each player crew with have a captain, but the captain will be an NPC rather than a player. This captain represents your chance at survival. To succeed, you must keep your captain alive. On the same note, you must destroy enemy NPC Captains in order to knock that team out of the sea-battle. If your captain is slain, your boat will self-destruct, and you will find yourself back on land.
Even scallywags have some codes of conduct, and thus I will lay out a few rules.
1. No explosion pots. If a player from a team is caught using explosion pots, they will be banned from the remainder of the event. They are just too powerful in this situation.
2. No Pets or summons. Sorry, but the same as above applies here.
3. If you die, you can still be resurrected. The only way to be defeated is if your NPC Captain dies. I discourage drobing, but it is part of battle, I suggest you sail away before ressing the dead. Every team will get one redemption opportunity, if your entire team dies, I will open a gate from your boat to a healer. Your NPC Captain is still vulnerable during this time. The moongate will last a few minutes, so gear up before returning.
After your first redemption, you are on your own if your entire team falls. Redemption is not in regards to your NPC Captain, he has no second chance. If he falls to the enemy, your ship will explode and sink into the ocean, and you are out for the remainder of the event.
4. There will be a closed-off area for this battle. If by any way you (by you, I mean the boat, if a player leaves that only makes the team disadvantaged) exit the area, you are disqualified. Do not worry, it is a rather large area. No cramped-up sea battles, for sure.
5. Rules are subject to change. I will re-inform everyone of the rules prior to event start, so there can be none who say they did not know of them.
Teams -
Teams will consist of FOUR players. They may be any template, but keep in mind certain templates are less effective in sea-combat. Plan your teams well. You can organize teams beforehand - or I will pair you with other lone-sailors who have registered.
Regardless, if you plan to participate, EMAIL me at [email protected] with your team members character names, murderer/non murderer status, their templates, and your team name. If you are planning on participating solo, email me with your information as well. This is necessary so I have enough boats prepared, if you haven't registered yourself or your team, chances are you will miss out. Subsitutions (before the event begins) are allowed.
Meet at the Counselor's Hall on Friday, February 26th at 9 p.m. EST. If you are red, you may gather at the Fel Brit Counselor's hall. This is a fel event, but I hope to see ALL play styles for this boat-war battle. Many types will be needed to defend and destroy the NPC Captains, and I think this will be fun, as it is certainly a different kind of PvP that can be appealing to a wider base of UO players. Also, everyone who participates will receive a memento.
Good luck, and I hope to hear from you!
Kasaven​

More...

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds very interesting, especially to our lot.

Is there any way to prevent accidental murder counts?

D

Darken (Cats)

if this was a couple hours later i would so be there. but unfourtunately i won't be off work in time.

C

Corvak

Yeah I think murder counts would make this event awkward. Wouldnt want to be turned red for an EM event.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
awww come on folks! I don't mind a little sun burn for a good cause - WINNING!

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I think murder counts would make this event awkward. Wouldnt want to be turned red for an EM event.

Been there and done that. There was a 3v3v3v3v3 free for all pvp tourney on LS a couple months back. And a couple of the teams didn't flag grey like they were supposed to. I ended up getting 7 counts and was told by the EM that they were sorry but they couldn't do anything about it.

Thus began the ghost sitting at yew gate event

B

bryanfury762002

Been there and done that. There was a 3v3v3v3v3 free for all pvp tourney on LS a couple months back. And a couple of the teams didn't flag grey like they were supposed to. I ended up getting 7 counts and was told by the EM that they were sorry but they couldn't do anything about it.

Thus began the ghost sitting at yew gate event
and if memory serves me right you and emo both died and someone on our team didnt. i wonder who that could be?

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not hard to stay alive when nobody knows who you are :p not to mention that emo and I were the 2 most hated people on the shard. I guess that's what skill gets yah eh?

(o wait u wouldn't know trammy) :p :heart:

V

Victoria Navarre

*reads the rules* hmmmm....a mage would be good in this type fight. Invis the "captain" or toss up stone walls to prevent "line of sight" attacks.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I imagine that Kas will give the captains enough hit points that most teams would be better off ignoring the captains until the enemy team is dead, else a team of stealth archers could easily take out all opposing captains.

It will certainly be an interesting event, and I wish I could make it! (Real life... BAH!)

I do hope that reporters will do a complete report including lots of screenshots and tactical analysis.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Was super fun guys. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I missed it :sad4: Real life keeps interfering with my game time grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I missed it :sad4: Real life keeps interfering with my game time grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Same here, Friday nights are tough. I had really wanted to do this but hey RL is important too right???

Anyone get any cool screen shots?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Same here, Friday nights are tough. I had really wanted to do this but hey RL is important too right???

Anyone get any cool screen shots?
Haha I'd be surprised if anyone had time for screenshots.

Was funny. For the record FWAP is not NME. There seemed to be a little confusion when they came in and tried to raid the event. We killed them though, and Kasaven (sp) stole their boat! HAHAHA

Driving a boat is hard. I don't want to be a pirate.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
DUDE. It was a great idea, but my gosh.... give me some sea sickness pills. I'm with you Flutter, the pirating life AIN'T for me.

Sure wish we could have been on the water for the entire event, Kasaven accidently blew our flippin' boat up before our Captain even took a lick! It was funny til we were forced to listen to Cernunos jokes back at the pvp-hut while Kas and Mesanna procured us another fancy dinghy..... oh well.

Congrats NME. Good job.

*kicks dirt*

*I just realized THERE WERE NO FREAKIN' PIRATES AT THIS EVENT..... WHAT THE HELL?
U.P.!!! Where were those scoundrels?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*I just realized THERE WERE NO FREAKIN' PIRATES AT THIS EVENT..... WHAT THE HELL?
Real life. There's no way I'll be able to attend an event that starts at 3 in the morning my time on Friday since I actually have to be awake on Saturday mornings.

I'd love to attend the same event if it was held either earlier or on a Saturday, but since that isn't the Catskills way (prime time isn't really until after 9 most days), I won't be holding my breath.

Glad y'all had fun.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrr - I was really hoping got make this one, but that damn "real life" keeps rearing its head and getting in the way of my play time. Kids had a snow day yesterday and I start a new JOB on Monday so those two things kept me fairly busy yesterday.

I too would love to see some screen shots if any were taken!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am inconsolable about not having been able to attend. It was not possible for me to come, due to things going on in another world. I'm astonished though that no other UP member did show up, considering the size of our crew.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Sure wish we could have been on the water for the entire event, Kasaven accidently blew our flippin' boat up before our Captain even took a lick! It was funny til we were forced to listen to Cernunos jokes back at the pvp-hut while Kas and Mesanna procured us another fancy dinghy..... oh well.
We were wondering what was going on! It seemed like more people showed up out of nowhere LOL (excluding our fwap buddies)

And I'll say it again, driving a boat is hard.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Oh and BTW
Whoever was giving out the counts (after being asked by the EM not to)
Lame.

If you are going to get emo because you die in a PvP event tournament, don't participate.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had a friggen blast... and Kasaven ended up having one extra hat that he let us (the winners) have a little fight to the death for... (guess who has 2 hats :) )

i even had fun taking 300 points from the uninvited FWAP members... and laughing at all the people accusing us of casting rev's.

they also said that fielding the boats was cheating... (i think not)

all in all it was fun as hell... if there were another one of these i would definately participate

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh and BTW
Whoever was giving out the counts (after being asked by the EM not to)
Lame.

If you are going to get emo because you die in a PvP event tournament, don't participate.
Now that is LAME! There always has to be one...

I agree 100% with your last statement. Not that my opinion carrier any weight.