• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] EM Laurana and EM Faine Morgan Request Your Input

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crystal [CCC] met with EMs Laurana and Faine Morgan this past Sunday, and discussed the issues that voting with the ballot boxes present for the Silver Steed Naming Contest. The EMs gave this suggestion for the voting process: They set up a voting poll on their new website.

This will enable the voting to be accessed by anyone with internet. The players will be able to track the votes, and see what name is winning anytime they log into to the site. It will also effectively hold the voting to one vote per player as voting there is checked by the IP address.

This way of voting will also keep track of which entry is first, second, and so on, enabling us to award first place and runner-up prizes.

The EMs also want to stress that this type of voting be approved by the players. If anyone has any other suggestions that they feel would be a better way, please say so very soon as the deadline is coming up fast. If there are no objections, we will go ahead with this plan, and it will be posted as soon as the poll is up and ready to start taking votes.

This is a great way to do the voting, and also will help get citizens accustomed to going to the EM's website in order to keep in touch with EMs Laurana and Faine Morgan, and keep up-to-date on events, shard activities, etc. sponsored by our EMs.

M

Michael Wolf

I love the idea of using their site, alleviates the problem with not everyone using or even having access to Stratics. However their are 2 issues.
1. anyone playing from the same location (spouses, children, co-workers, roommates) and use a router or firewall, will all display the same IP and be seen as the same people and only be able to vote once per location.
2. Anyone savvy enough to change their IP or who have access to PC,s at multiple locations will be able to vote multiple times.

Now honestly, even Stratics polls have loopholes, it easy to create multiple accounts here.

The only really honest way would take too long. We'd have to break the suggestions up into groups that would fit in a ballot box, tell everyone to vote on one choice from each box, take all the winners and rinse repeat until we get down to one. The amount of entries dived by the number of choices per ballot box would determine how long it would take to get down to one name. Even that could be tampered with by those of us with multiple accounts.

All that said, I think the Poll on their web site is the best idea. Sorry to those who share an Internet connection, and to the geeks like me, please don't cheat...

Sorry for the bad news,

C

Crystal Canyon

Sorry for the bad news,
Ah, I don't see any bad news here at all, simply basic common sense information.

Bottom line is this...nothing is 100% fool proof, but we are talking about Origin here. This shard is well known for its small community and honest players.

The reason that Sara, posted the artical stating that EM Laurana and EM Faine Request Input instead of just stating that we have decided to use the website for voting, is that true to Origin form, the citizens are being asked what they think about our voting choices.

The way I see it, is that it is a win win situation. All players are given a chance to vote and all players who do vote will be introduced to the EMs new website. Good for the contest and good for the community.

I always love to watch the Deco contests and noticed that the people who sponsor them have been using this same method. So far, I have not seen any negative results or comments from this, as I did when the contests were mainly voted on by a panel of judges.

We have some great name suggestions so far and Ill be updating as soon as the "badies" leave Brit again. LOL :)

M

Michael Wolf

as soon as the "badies" leave Brit again
What's with those guys anyway? Some fool just came after my archer and died for his trouble. Then I get get a message that I just killed an inocent, inocent my *** he attacked me.

L

Lady Vivian

My main concern with using the EM's Web Site for voting is getting this info and the URL out to all people on the shard as there are many that don't read the Origin Shard of UOStratics on any kind of regular basis.

C

Crystal Canyon

My main concern with using the EM's Web Site for voting is getting this info and the URL out to all people on the shard as there are many that don't read the Origin Shard of UOStratics on any kind of regular basis.
We will have to use several different means of communication to get this information out to the players.

First, we will need people to drop books with the URL to the website and additional information on the contest. Im sure Intoxication will help as well other players.

I also have an information barkeep set up on the steps of the vendorhouse that will give the URL information by simply walking up to her and saying "info".

Anyone wishing to help with this can put runes with the URL on them on thier vendors and maybe a book explaining that this is the place to go for the voting.

Bulletin Boards are a great way of getting information out to players. Anyone that is willing, we ask that you please put the URL to the EMs website on your board and a short explaination of how to vote.

Spamming periodically at the bank will also get the information out to numerous players, and or opening gates to your house with a Bulletin Board loaded with the info.

"Word of Mouth" on a shard such as ours is probably the best way to get the URL out there to as many players as possible. Tell your guildmates, friends, and anyone else that will listen! (Go to Fel and tell your Foes, maybe it will distract them long enough to get a combination off while they consider what you just told them) LOL

Anyone playing UO has access to the internet, so they definantly have the means to go vote. We just have to get that URL out here to them all. We can do it...we are Origin! And as I always say "it aint no big step for a stepper". :)

C

Crystal Canyon

Because of the fact that certain individuals are not willing to let us drop books with information for the contest for our citizens of Origin, I am going to try to get in touch with the EM Faine and EM Laurana and suggest that the winners of the contest be chosen by a panel of judges.

Also, I believe that the suggestion that people can cheat makes using a website a bit less favorable. Once it was in print, sad to say, Im sure there are those who would take advantage of the situation.

Everyone that has entered, Im sure I can get in touch with to let them if they have won or not. I really would like the winner to be present the day of the event to see the plaque being put up. It will be a great honor for them.

This has been a fun contest and alot of folks have worked hard to make sure that it goes well. Im not detoured from dropping books with the address to the new website developed by our EMs. No matter which way the voting is decided, Ill be out everyday littering the streets...LOL :)

Just a couple more days until the deadline to submit an entry, so if you have any suggestions, please get to the boards and post. We have some great prizes to hand out that people of our shard have so graciously donated.

Ill post the responses of EM Faine Morgan and EM Laurana to my voting suggestion as soon a I hear back from them. In the mean time...go post!:D

F

Flora Green

Cassie's website worked fine for the Holiday Deco contest.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, but that was also for a much larger than just one shard. Getting people to submit to the auctions that don't read the forums relies on me constantly ICQing them.

Which is an idea, I can send a mass ICQ to my list with info on the drawing to help and announce it at the auction Saturday.

C

Crystal Canyon

True, but that was also for a much larger than just one shard. Getting people to submit to the auctions that don't read the forums relies on me constantly ICQing them.

Which is an idea, I can send a mass ICQ to my list with info on the drawing to help and announce it at the auction Saturday.
That is a great idea Cassie, and I really appriciate any help you can give. Thank you so much for the offer!

I did have contact last night with EM Faine, and she came up with some really good ideas to help with the book problem also. This weekend they will be around and do a bit of testing to see what exactly will work. Aren't they grand? WOooot!

Contact me tonight if you can and Ill give you some information and I also, if time is permissable, would like to add a couple items in the auction.

Thanks again, Cassie. :)

M

Michael Wolf

Has anyone considered UO's broadcast system? For those who do not know how to do this, pay attention.

Communications crystals are your friend. I believe you can bind 10 receivers to a single broadcast crystal. You can hold multiple crystals in your backpack bound to multiple receivers each. You place the receivers on Pack animals at each Bank. Turn on your crystal and anything you say will be broadcast to every bank you have a packy at.

Please Note, Anything You Say. Don't forget you have the crystal turned on if you start having a private conversation.

C

Crystal Canyon

Has anyone considered UO's broadcast system? For those who do not know how to do this, pay attention.

Communications crystals are your friend. I believe you can bind 10 receivers to a single broadcast crystal. You can hold multiple crystals in your backpack bound to multiple receivers each. You place the receivers on Pack animals at each Bank. Turn on your crystal and anything you say will be broadcast to every bank you have a packy at.

Please Note, Anything You Say. Don't forget you have the crystal turned on if you start having a private conversation.
I had in fact, considered the idea of using communication crystals to get the message out about how the voting would go. May still implement the idea when the times comes, but at the moment, the most pressing question is just how to conduct the voting.

I so wanted to use the new EMs website. Not only was this a great way to conduct the voting, but also to get people to the site to check it out.

Im waiting to hear back from EM Faine and EM Laurana to hear more of thier thoughts on this before a decision on the matter is made. In my personal opinion, whatever they say goes.