• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Britannian Imperialism Threatens Zenite Sovereignty

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings, Britannians.

As I am sure most of you are already aware, just this last month our benevolent sovereign and monarch, Lord Casca of Heartwood, issued a decree mandating that all citizens of good health and able body proceed immediately to the Land of Feudal Lords to aid its Empress in the retrieval of her lost treasures and codices.

It is hereby declared by royal decree that the people of Britannia shall assist the Empire of Tokuno with the incursion of hostile beasts that once again have begun roaming their lands, stealing their wealth and spreading destruction.

The Treasures of Tokuno must be redeemed from these foul monsters by any means, be it blade or spell! Speak with Ihara Soko, the Imperial Minister of Trade in Zento, should you recover any lost artifacts of the Empire.

By the hand of your Sovereign and Lord, Casca
While one would think that such a declaration, which on the surface appears to be little more than an offer of aid and goodwill to the Zentoese government, would be welcomed by one and all, such is not the case. One need only visit the City of Zento, enter its shops and sake houses, and speak with its citizens to discover the vast and widespread changes coming over the society as a result of Britannian Imperial Dominance.

When I first arrived in the City of Splendors, surrounded by the cherry blossom trees and being overwhelmed by the scents of steamed rice and shochu wafting through the early morning air, one of the first things that struck me odd was the Town Crier that greeted me at the gates.

As fate would have it, Leif the Town Crier is a Britannian from the woodlands surrounding Vesper. While I thought it was strange that a Britannian would be tending to the position in Tokuno, I assumed that perhaps the Empress was hiring a foreign worker to help communicate with the incoming Britannians? I truly thought little of it.

I would be even more surprised by what I found next.

I strode into the Fletchers Shop of Zento, a native greeting prepared on my lips, when I was met by another two Britannians dressed in the native regalia. Fergus and Beradine, a couple from the Tradeport of Valoria, identified themselves as the new proprietors of the shop. I thought this was strange, but it didn’t really hit me until I began to look through the various shops and tea houses dotting the small city. As it turns out, almost two thirds of the businessmen and women within the city were Britannian. I still saw many Zenites strolling through the streets, but an alarming number of them were carrying bowls and begging for charity.

So, what does a good reporter do? I began asking questions.

I eventually came upon the Zento Magick Shop, and discovered a native Zenite who appeared to be familiar with our tongue.

Joshua Harper: When did the Britannians begin taking over the businesses of the City of Zento?

Hotane: It began many years ago, although it was never this bad. Occasionally, an…oh whats the word? Enterprising! Britannian would come here to make his fortune, which never troubled us. But now it has gotten much worse.

Joshua: What do you mean?

Hotane: Your Casca and his court think they rule the world. They force their traders into our ports, and demand we carry Britannian goods. Just look around you. How many shopkeepers are Zenite? How many Zenites currently starve in the streets? He invades the realms of any who defy his authority, while sending his men to slowly encroach upon ours. How long before he declares Tokuno a vassal of your kingdom as well?

After several days of questioning Zenites and Britannians alike, I attempted to contact one of the magistrates of the city. Wouldn’t you know it, he was Britannian as well.

I tried to interview the man, but he demanded that he not be questioned, and quickly jumped in the fish pond.

When I turned to leave, I discovered an even more alarming sight. Alongside maps of Zento and the Tokuno Islands were replicas and plans for what appeared to be none other than Britannian-style Villas. What are they planning, I must wonder?

While the exchange of ideas and the sharing of culture along regional lines is a good and desirable thing, one cannot help but be gravely concerned for the Citizens of Zento in light of recent events. Will they maintain their sovereignty, or will they slowly be swallowed up by Casca’s growing appetite?

I’m sure we’ll soon find out.

Joshua Harper,
Stratics Independant Herald.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I credit Xel the Wanderer for giving me the idea for this story. We were joking in alliance chat about the bugged NPC's in Zento, with names such as "Bob the Ninja." He joked that it might make for a good story. As you can see, I agree.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like history repeating, if you ask me. Just start introducing opium or the threat of naval attacks by joint countries and Lord Casca will have his way.

...Or failing that, two nuclear bombs should do the trick.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking the same thing. A more powerful nation using an excuse to march in on a weaker nation and establish it as a protectorate. Open Door Policy in China. Boxer Rebellion.