• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News]Aryslan: Rebirth

Chesapeake News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aryslan: Rebirth
Aryslan City, Felucca
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010
By: Nexus

I've made it no secret that I pan to start doing reports on establishments around the realm, and tonight I happened to get an itch, a feeling that somewhere a story was brewing, and boy was there ever a story to be told. I just followed my feet, and they led to Aryslan. For those of you not familar with Aryslan, it is a city of rebirth, once prosperous then ruined now there is a movement to restore it to its former glory. While the orginal Aryslan Tower may be gone it's memory lives, and it's legacy is being rekindled, it's light and belief in the virutes are returning to help show us a past, and a one of the darker parts of its past is returning to haunt us.

No story about Aryslan would be complete without touching on the history of the city, and Lord Jamlyn Hakkendyn was more than happy to assit me in learning more about it. Initally founded by the Order of the Sapphire Rose in the early part of 1998, Aryslan is a city with a historic past, and like any place of greatness there are a few skeletons in the closet. Unfortunately Aryslan's can still walk......

Aryslan and the Mazrim Wars.
Inside the City of Aryslan is a place known only as the Tower of Souls, this was an possibly is the residence of Mazrim, a necromancer of incredible power. Single handedly he summoned legions of undead to being, and conducted not just one war but two agianst the cities of Aryslan and Vesper, his goal was to recover the Books of the Ages, a single volume of which can been seen inside his tower. He was unable to recover all the volumes however and was beaten back by the citizens of Arysland and other voulenteers from around the realm. Recently though servants of Mazrim have returned, and this time the assaults have effected several towns on multiple facets.

Aryslan and the Troll Invasions of Vesper
Being in close proxmitity to Vesper many of the assaults on the city had to pass through Aryslan or threatened it's territory. One of these campaigns was launched by the trolls G'Splat and G'Thunk. These two trolls invaded Vesper and the surrounding areas attempting to reclaim lands lost to humans. G'Splat was killed in the assaults, while G'Thunk lived and died some time later, G'Splats remains are at an unknown location while the Corpse of G'Thunk can be found in Aryslan.

Modern Aryslan
Recently Lord Jamlyn Hakkendyn returned from excursions out side the realm of Britannia to see the city he once loved and helped establish in ruins, his beloved tower gone with only the trinkets left by the overseers of Sosaria left to mark it's place.

Without a second thought he and his brother Lord Jordo Hakkendyn began rebuilding the city of Aryslan and with their return, also came a possibly deadly price. Their return drew Mazrim from his long period of hiding and once again he has began to search for the Books of the Ages. The Brothers Hakkendyn do not know if Mazrim is the result of a family curse, or simply someone with a grudge against their clan, but they do know Mazrim has grown in power, he has even forced the devine being Mesanna to serve as his interior decorator as he refurbishes his Tower. On the roof is the Well of Souls the source of the undead that Mazrim uses to attack the realms.

Many other relics may be found in the area around Aryslan still, most from it's early years such as the Pond of Peace. Those who touch it's waters recieve a envigorating sensation but be warned it only effects an individual once. Who knows what powers this small pond hold, though there is one that might.

The Pond of Peace appeared with the arrival of Cordell Swiftmender, a Wandering Healer, who assisted Aryslan during the second war agianst Mazrim. He still wanders the regions around Aryslan, though he has fallen under some type of curse causing him to forget his friends and his past. Currently the citizens of Aryslan are looking for a cure so they can be reunited with their friend completely and not just his body.

Currently Aryslan is contains around 15 individual buildings, they are always looking for more people to join the citizenry however and those who would act for the good of the realm, and have faith in the Virtues are welcome. Be warned though Aryslan has decided to this point to remain neutral and not swear allegience to Queen Dawn, though they also have vowed not to interfere. Lord Jamlyn has stated that once Queen Dawn shows herself a strong enough friend of Aryslan they may join with the current monarch but not before. This is due to a conflict with Lord British during the cities first incarnation, where he did not assist with repeling Mazrim from it's boundries and the wars he conducted.

Notes of Interest about Aryslan
For those who wish to see or settle in the city, there are several establishments of note.

The Ruins of Old Aryslan: You can go directly here using the last teleporter in the line (SE end) outside Luna's walls. The newly erected town banner was made to encompass the ruins of the original Tower of Aryslan.

The Old Town Center: There is a house erected on this spot that contains many books on it's history.

The Tower of Souls: The tower erected by Mazrim, be warned Undead guard this tower, and though you may enter safety is not assured. Volume 1 of the Book of Ages can be found on the second floor.
The Peace Pond: Approach this small pool and you will feel a sense of peace, touch the water and a magical sensation will envelope you but only once, after that the effect of the water is negated, though the memory of it will still bring about a sense of peace.

G'Thunk's Remains: These are the remains of the famous Troll warlord and leader G'Thunk. Those who wish to pay their respects may do so.

Cordel Swiftmender: A wandering healer that moves through the area around Aryslan. He assisted in the second Mazrim war, yet has now mysteriously lost his memories. There is an effort being organized to restore them by the citizenry of Aryslan.
for information on the history of and a tour of Aryslan.

Governor Winfield of PaxLair
for providing the tip off that gave me the itch.

more...

L

longshanks

Excellent piece. Would it be a good idea to post this tale on UHall as a way to promote Chessy?

J

Jamlyn

Nexus, I want to say thank you again for writing this up. It is a fantastic read and you put everything in there you and I spoke about. I agree we should use this to promote Chessy!

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I agree we should use this to promote Chessy!
Not to be negative but we use the Chesapeake Directory to promote the Chesapeake shard. (Which is being revamped and updated once again.) We use this because it encompases all of the townships, RP guilds, PvP guilds and Tram guilds. This way not just one community is held higher above the others.

If you would like I can add Nexus's piece to the Aryslan section of the Directory so it will remain apart of Chesapeake history for years and years to come.

J

JohnDuke[Pax]

Very nice work Nexus, well written and lots of pretty pictures, which works better for me.

Aryslan is looking sharp Jamlyn, almost always find someone there, even in the odd hours.

Gareth: when I clicked on the "Discuss this Article" link here http://uo.stratics.com/news/Chesapeake.shtml it redirected me to the wrong thread, I think it directed me to the Catskills forum, didn't know who to tell, but I use that link all the time...when I do read.

J

Jamlyn

Yeah I had the same problem with the link. Thank you for your kind words!

Gareth whatever you wish to do I will trust you will do it for the greater good. You were not being negative, I understand your thoughts. I was simply agreeing with his post as it can be a part of our history to get people to Chessy.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I will send Nexus a icq. He prolly just forgot to add the post link into newspro after the story auto posted.