• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Announcing: The Freeborn Press!

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

After speaking with Nicholas the Old on the Lumarian Bridge, Brytt Heathard had gone in search of the editor of that old newspaper from Avalon.

Looking down at some of the parchment newsprint clippings, the alemaker smiled nostalgically. "Spring Festival" "Heaven's Forge Chef Faire". Then the one which Nicholas had specifically handed to the bard announced that the editor of one of Britannia's longest running publications was looking to step into more of a retirement position. If anyone knew how to breathe some life back into the scattered BNN reporters, it was the editor of that old publication.

Stepping into the home of the literary legend, Brytt looked around. All about were books and scrolls and stories. So many stories! One could only imagine how many tales had been recorded here. The air smelled of history and ink and the older man gestured for Brytt to sit down.

The two talked. And talked. Outside the light faded and soon the windows were lit only by candlelight. When the alemaker finally left, he walked with a purpose... and a fat sack of his new employer's gold. There was a building to lease!

As the alemaker strode away, the retiring Avalon editor smiled. It was well that the name would carry on and he could finally do something of value with the wealth the small publication had accrued over the years. The events of the new generations needed to be chronicled, with panache. And, who knows? Maybe he would stay on to consult. After all, history brings perspective and what news story doesn't benefit from that?

Citizens of Baja, your News Team is proud to bring you the following announcement:

[youtube]ss527wiarRc[/youtube]​

Baja's News Team
will now be known, in character, as The Freeborn Press, East Britain Office.

This historic name has been revived with permission of the good folks of Avalon, who published the Freeborn Press from 1997 to 2005. You can still read the Freeborn Press archives at http://www.freebornpress.com.

Stay tuned for our new office opening and an expansion on our reporting angles. Also the staff of the Freeborn Press ask you to bear with them while a few Trammy contributors adjust to life on the other side of the moongate.

Sincerely,

The Freeborn Press
East Britain Office

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very exciting! I also really dig that video.

What program do you use to make it?

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Congratulations Nicholas and Brytt. Thank you for bringing some of Baja's past into the present.
Best wishes to you all.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, Seppo and Amber! The first PvP article will post as soon as I have consent from my contact. I used After Effects for the video. I must have watched twenty-five or thirty YouTube videos and spent a couple weekends learning about keyframes, text effects, and layers. I used Sibelius to write the music, some generic midi to wav converter and Soundbooth to edit the wav.

Some of the Stratics reporters are After Effects wizards. I'm hoping to make up for that with a short learning curve. Zero to 60 second videos in a couple weeks.

If the news has seemed a little slow lately, this was probably why.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, so there's no mistaking:

Nicholas gets credit for the idea. :) Hazard and Nobody get credit for being ridiculously cool.

Hazz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking good Editor-In-Chief! I've uncovered a few old etchings from where our old building stood, which I've dispatched via slow boat toward Jhelom and beyond. Given the current state of activity on the seas, I hope they find you well.

-Hazard