• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News]A Belated Thanks For The Pacific Rares Festival!

Napa Valley News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings fellow Britannians!

Starting on Friday, April 16th and running through till Sunday, April 18th, the Pacific shard welcomed all to show off their treasures. A sort of come all, community event that spanned across every world in our beloved game.

Although I wasn't able to attend their array of planned events, I did get a chance to pop over and take a look at the many goods on display. Some items were familiar as our shards often follow similar story lines, while others were unlike anything I'd ever seen. All of the event vendors were marked with the name, "Pac Rares Fest 2010", and wearing an electric blue robe.

The schedule ran all day for the entirety of the event. From a daily lottery and raffle, to a UO style Antique Road show. They held an auction, as well as various tours of local sights and even a scavenger hunt and Mongbat tournament. The creativity and planning involved was quite impressive. Many thanks go out to the Pacific Rares Event crew, all 26 of you, who made this possible.

I caught up with a few of the Pacific Rares planning committee the night before all was slated to begin, and found them relaxing before the coming chaos. Dani gave me a few moments to ask a couple of questions, as I was curious if this would be something ongoing.

I was informed, very enthusiastically, that yes, it was something Pacific would be happy to do again. In fact, they had a great showing already and the event had not actually started yet. Amazingly, others had begun to arrive on Wednesday, all excited and rearing to go.

I was a bit concerned at some of the price jumps, although Napa Valley was really the only shard I was able to gauge. Dani informed me that it was to be expected as most were hoping to get top dollar for their wares, and to cover the cost of bringing items to the shard as well as the inflation on vendor fees due to the out of shard traffic. Taking all that into account, I can understand a bit of a hike in price.

Dani felt that the cost was applicable as, and I quote, "Having all the rares in one place is a nice thing." I couldn't agree more! It is also a chance to see items that you might never have had a chance to see otherwise and if you had the gold, you might have been lucky to return with something that no one on your home shard owns.

The above image taken of Stormy Skye's Yardville vendors.

I even ran into one of our own, there called Q-bert, though we know him as Hawk. He was nice enough to give me the guide book for the event. The tomb was literally 63 pages long. As I glanced through it, I honestly couldn't tell you how proud I was of the Pacific players who put in the work to host such an event. For those of you, who like me, couldn't make it, there is a brief thread here, that talks of a rather exciting influx of Harbingers, the total number speculated by one to be about 40. A couple of pics give the true nature of the fun, and I'm doubly sorry to have missed it!

Again, thanks Pacific for such a great idea, and for allowing all of us to come join you! I sincerely hope you do it again!

A salute to Pacific, high five to everyone in Napa who went, and Best Gaming Wishes to all,
Salya Sin

More...

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol i had to chuckle when i read * nice to have all the rares in 1 place* LMFAO
considering it became the biggest and worst rares heist that UO has ever seen lmao, the fest was a nice thing to do...but the inside job that ripped alot of good people off for Millions of there rares was not.... read more here
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=195268

S

Salya Sin

OH MY!

I had read our little thread and saw something about a heist but assumed that was part of the event. WOW! I didn't know anything about this.

See everyone? I asked for PM's... this would have made a great addition to this report.

I just went and checked out the Pacific threads and someone posted images of the stolen items in a bank box. That is sooo messed up! I feel really bad for the individuals that tried to do a nice thing and will most likely never do it again. ONE person... that is all it takes to ruin things.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits, you lousy thief!

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol yup, and from what i read here and there! it was more then 1 person involved, but we really dont know the full story other then alot of rares got ripped off and more..nabins teleporter sets ect....

and may crabs the size of turtles crawl up there *censored* to eat....

S

Salya Sin

That just bites! I'm voting for your crabs... a far better punishment than my fleas...

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That just bites! I'm voting for your crabs... a far better punishment than my fleas...
lol tis all part of the same long nasty phrase..the fleas are only the beggining..not sure i could say the whole thing here without getting de modded and thrown out...lol

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Wow As usual another wonderful news story!!! Great Job!

The robbery was a very unfortunate event. Especially with all the hard work that the people of the Pacific Shard put into the Events.

I think the bigger news story however is how the shard and larger Rares Community has come together as a whole to overcome the theft. Read below

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196620

P

Pharaun Mizzrym

I am glad I sold my rares and got out of this game a year ago!

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah, there's always a few scum out there. Like Nabin said, the bigger story is how people have come together to help recover from this scumbag's actions. What happened was bad, but was prevented from becoming even worse by DJ Sandman and his crew accepting full responsibility to make things right and various people in the rares community steping forward to help.

The best thing about UO is that, even after being blind sided by really bad luck or bad people, people seem to always show up to help. It seems that the really special people outnumber the asshats.

It's those people that actually care about the game and other gamers, that make this game so worth playing.

Just this man's opinion.

Ken

Q

quig

Nice! I like stories with pics (especially ones with me in them :p). It was a great event, lots of cool things to see and lots to learn. Was nice too is a lot of the sellers stayed close to there vendors, so you could ask about the items or even pay with gold from other shards! The rares festival can be done on any shard, no reason Napa couldnt do it sometime.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I am glad I sold my rares and got out of this game a year ago!
Hey I just ran across this for sale in Atlantic

Item Price 2 hrs ago
Marble Character Statue Maker

Blessed
6th Year Veteran Reward
Weight: 1 Stone
Statue Of Pharaun Mizzrym
Double-click To Create A Life Size Statue Of Your Own Character

6,500,000 Gold

Looks like you are still floating around the shards :)