• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] 2009 Champions Duel Results

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Proclamation of the champions!
By EMSeppo
goldenbrewtavern.com

We started out as a crowd, each with a dream!
A dream to become the champion of their peers!
After an astounding 48 duels, we were left with the best of the participants. It was time for the finals!

Mage Finals
The finals began with a loud thump as we went straight into the mage finals. Both of the contestants had to go through an intense pool of challengers to get thus far. In the case of Mage Chushingura, his very first duel in this competition was a nail biter, one that went all the way into a death match. A duel that is bound to be remembered as one of the highlight of the tournament. Mage Taslin Hoffstah, on the other hand, had a more confident road to the finals and was relatively unchallenged.

Needless to say, it was going to be an exciting match up of skills and the crowd knew it. Both duelists had their supporters who were willing to kill each other if needed.

The duel began with each side trying to gain an upper hand on the other. Both of them took turns attacking and defending, but there were no breakthroughs. Soon, as we saw in previous duels involving Mage Chushingura, it was a fight for space to stand as both sides tried to gain an advantage by using poison fields.

Back and forth they went till the entire arena was painted in green. Approaching 17 minutes into the duel, only three minutes away from a death match, Mage Taslin Hoffstah made a critical mistake. Getting overzealous about casting poison fields, he failed to read a full fledged attack by Mage Chushingura. A delay of few seconds was more than enough to break through his defenses and the duel came to an unexpected end.

With this, Mage Chushingura was rightfully proclaimed as, “Chad, The Greatest Magician of All Lands.”

Melee Finals
If anyone in the audience felt cheated with the unexpected end of the mage duel, then the duel between Raza and Taslin in the melee group more than made it up. There were sudden unexpected twists just when you thought that the duel was going nowhere. Raza was on attack for the better part of the duel and he came very close to getting his reward. Once, he had Taslin by the hair! However, Taslin showed that sometimes defence can be the best offence as he survived each of the onslaughts. With no result, the duel entered the death match. Again, Raza started with an upperhand as he was able to get the first disarm in. It seemed all lost for Taslin but he proved to be stout when most needed. When he finally made his move, Raza proved unable to cope with it and folded!

Taslin had won the first duel of the melee final against all odds!

Now, the only person standing between him and the coveted champion title was Stel. Yet unproven due to an aborted semifinal contest, it was hard to prejudge how this will play out. The duel began with each contestant testing the other. It was promising to be another exciting ride when Taslin switched into a full-fledged attack mode. Stel was unable to defend himself and the duel was finished with Taslin as the winner.

With this, Warrior Taslin was proclaimed as, “Taslin (PvM), The Greatest Warrior of All Lands.”

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the reports Sara!
I sadly wasn't around for this, In fact I was only on for 1 fight, and the 2nd one I JUST missed by like minutes =/
Wonder when the next one will be?!

jwauk99

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These were a lot of fun to watch. I thought the mage duel with Chad and Taslin Hoffstah was awesome. Very competitive. Congrats to both players... Must be fun being that good at pvp! :)

J

Pan Arcane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to say, Thanks Seppo for changing your aticle on your website. Originally your article made it sound like a nail biter which prompted the following reply:

Mage Finals

The finals began with a loud thump as we went straight into the mage finals. Both of the contestants had to go through an intense pool of challengers to get thus far. In the case of Mage Chushingura, his very first duel in this competition was a nail biter, one that went all the way into a death match. A duel that is bound to be remembered as one of the highlight of the tournament. Mage Taslin Hoffstah, on the other hand, had a more confident road to the finals and was relatively unchallenged.

Needless to say, it was going to be an exciting match up of skills and the crowd knew it. Both duelists had their supporters who were willing to kill each other if needed.

The duel began with each side trying to gain an upper hand on the other. Both of them took turns attacking and defending, but there were no breakthroughs. Soon, as we saw in previous duels involving Mage Chushingura, it was a fight for space to stand as both sides tried to gain an advantage by using poison fields. Back and forth they went till the entire arena was painted in green. Approaching 17 minutes into the duel, only three minutes away from a death match, Mage Taslin Hoffstah made a critical mistake. Getting overzealous about casting poison fields, he failed to read a full fledged attack by Mage Chushingura. A delay of few seconds was more than enough to break through his defenses and the duel came to an unexpected end.

With this, Mage Chushingura was rightfully proclaimed as, “Chad, The Greatest Magician of All Lands.”
When I read it after you changed it, it was unbiased which is admirable of you to do. However it was not skill versus skill it was skill (Chad) versus items (Taslin). I will say this as an experienced mage duelist who observed that Chad really put a clinic on for that kid (as usual). You put on the gear Chad has on and fight Taslin "field combat" style and see how you do. The only thing that made it remotely possible for Taslin to stay alive was the regen on his suit keeping him going. If these guys fought pure mage without the BS potions, apples, fields and what have you Taslin would be an easy, marginally laughable kill.

Pan Arcane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These were a lot of fun to watch. I thought the mage duel with Chad and Taslin Hoffstah was awesome. Very competitive. Congrats to both players... Must be fun being that good at pvp! :)

J
No jwauk, and I am not trying to personally attack Taslin by saying this, but it was not competitive. Taslin fought to stay alive , while Chad grew increasingly impatient with the items he had to face. These guys could fight 10 times it would end the same with Chad winning all 10. I bet you.

It's not that Taslin sucks, it's the fact that Chad is that good. The best man won.

O

Obsession 1

No jwauk, and I am not trying to personally attack Taslin by saying this, but it was not competitive. Taslin fought to stay alive , while Chad grew increasingly impatient with the items he had to face. These guys could fight 10 times it would end the same with Chad winning all 10. I bet you.

It's not that Taslin sucks, it's the fact that Chad is that good. The best man won.
Wow Alister, you have quite the infatuation with Mr. Chad i see. You mentioned how admirable it was of EM Seppo to change the text of his message, maybe you should take and admirable road and dismount yourself from that high horse your on and give the credit where it is due. Taslin did a great job to make it to the finals of both legs of the tournament.....Let it go brotha!

jwauk99

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have to agree with Obsession1 here. You're taking infatuation to a whole new level - especially your constant fawning over him IN the game which was on the verge of pathetic. The winning player did less smack-talking and spouting off than you did. Take a page from his book of humility.

Yes, the better contestant one. Credit to him, it is well deserved!!

(I always enjoy when people tell me my opinion SHOULD be something else or should have seen it the way THEY saw it...)

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats to both winners!

As the two above me already mentioned, let's leave the trash talking elsewhere. We'd hardly want to get into a discussion of the flaws in UO here. And this is neither the time nor the place to discuss which players use certain items, armor, and third party programs on and off the field.

Take it up with UO Dev. Your comments thus far serve only to taint your own buddy's grace.

Pan Arcane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats to both winners!

As the two above me already mentioned, let's leave the trash talking elsewhere. We'd hardly want to get into a discussion of the flaws in UO here. And this is neither the time nor the place to discuss which players use certain items, armor, and third party programs on and off the field.

Take it up with UO Dev. Your comments thus far serve only to taint your own buddy's grace.
How so?

Chad dominated with pure skill and sportsmanship, with virtually no self-benefiting items. Every item Taslin had on had some sort of regen mod on it , and his weapon was insane with like 48% hit fireball and other mods on it. You want to talk about inappropriate behavior? PvM zerged the audience and killed anybody that created new characters to come to Baja to watch Chad. That IMO falls under public event disruption and was totally inappropriate. If we had our characters on Baja we would've wrecked those PvM kids fast.

Nothing I say can "taint" the fact that Chad gave Taslin more problems than he knew what to deal with. All Taslin did was fight to say alive. I've said it before, I'll say it again...Taslin gave Chad no problems whatsoever. You know you want to shut me up have Taslin fight Chad 10 times with proper mage dueling etiquette (no pots/apples/bull****) and I bet you Chad wins all 10 in a row, I know Chad will do it. Set it up.

As for the person that says I'm trying to sway their opinion, not the case at all. I just want things to be told accurately. The accurate truth is the way I have stated it, which is not only the way I "saw" it but also the way it went down on Saturday. It happened the way I am telling it.. I was there...

Taslin did a good job making it to the mage finals but with the suit he was wearing, the weapon he was using he should first be able to beat Chad without it to back himself up or even if he had won he would've been no true champion, just a "gimp champion" like he wanted his warrior sign to say. Unfortunately for him he couldn't beat the true champion, Chad with that gear anyway.

So you don't accuse me now of trolling, I have now said enough on the subject. Cya.

O

Obsession 1

How so?

Chad dominated with pure skill and sportsmanship, with virtually no self-benefiting items. Every item Taslin had on had some sort of regen mod on it , and his weapon was insane with like 48% hit fireball and other mods on it. You want to talk about inappropriate behavior? PvM zerged the audience and killed anybody that created new characters to come to Baja to watch Chad. That IMO falls under public event disruption and was totally inappropriate. If we had our characters on Baja we would've wrecked those PvM kids fast.

Nothing I say can "taint" the fact that Chad gave Taslin more problems than he knew what to deal with. All Taslin did was fight to say alive. I've said it before, I'll say it again...Taslin gave Chad no problems whatsoever. You know you want to shut me up have Taslin fight Chad 10 times with proper mage dueling etiquette (no pots/apples/bull****) and I bet you Chad wins all 10 in a row, I know Chad will do it. Set it up.

As for the person that says I'm trying to sway their opinion, not the case at all. I just want things to be told accurately. The accurate truth is the way I have stated it, which is not only the way I "saw" it but also the way it went down on Saturday. It happened the way I am telling it.. I was there...

Taslin did a good job making it to the mage finals but with the suit he was wearing, the weapon he was using he should first be able to beat Chad without it to back himself up or even if he had won he would've been no true champion, just a "gimp champion" like he wanted his warrior sign to say. Unfortunately for him he couldn't beat the true champion, Chad with that gear anyway.

So you don't accuse me now of trolling, I have now said enough on the subject. Cya.
I see no reason for Taslin to have to back himself up here. He is clearly not the one on these forums trying to downplay the abilities of the opponent like you are. You have said almost NOTHING that others want to read with the exception of you and uncle Chad.

Move on Jr.

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just out of curiosity. Mage Taslin and Warrior Taslin were one and the same?

Granted, it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination being that they're the same first name and all, and I've seen people roll with the same first names like the "Bob vs. Fred" events.

O

OBR Knight Zackarias

That was an awesome tournament! I thought the contestants did very well. I enjoyed being able to be there to see the fighters duel LIVE in the arena. :thumbup: