• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] New to pricing my goods, how do you guys do it?

N

NoMaddie

Right off, sorry if I hit the wrong forum with this question but I think it fits better here. I want input from the Crafters themselves not the Billion Gold Artie Geeks on the Trader Forum.

I am pretty new to making and selling weapons and armor, scored my GM's all over and got some Heartwood runics and ripped out everything I day dreamed about while grinding up only to realize I have no idea what what I made is worth! :owned: Yes.. thank you, it sucks, I walked right into that one haha! The sad thing is I kinda knew it at the time too.

So I did some research on searchuo.com (only resource I could find) and quite frankly I can't make heads or tails of wtf people are paying for! I have no idea where people are coming up with these million dollar prices. I see a bow that is insane for 2.5 mil, okay I get that, and 10 secs later I see a absolute crap bow with a stat so minor I overlooked it 5 times that could drop off a Mongbat selling for MORE because it's rare. Seriously I get why some rares are awesome but you'd have to TELL someone this damned thing was rare and why it was special.

Long story short as crafters do you make items and as you price them say to yourself.. it has this much %SSI making it worth 200k and this much resists adding another 500k because that stat is maxed and so on til you come up with a 'fair' price?

I realize this question is very dated since the market has it's fluxes but just so I can get a feel for what you guys are doing with your product can someone lay out the groundwork you all are using? If I hit barely ballpark with what I've made - cool, perfect, someone prolly got an awesome deal but I will feel successful as a crafter so screw it.

PS. Saying an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay is really not helpful! Been there, heard that!

TheLetterQ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well. First you need to realize that the price is dropping in the market due to imbuing. Which is all to the good in my opinion!

But you essentially hit the nail on the head. Go back and look at the site and you'll kind of come up with a correlation of this attritute at this intensity is about this much. Then tack on a little bonus if you get a couple of attributes that compliment each other.

Imbuing doesn't replace the market...it just makes prices more competitive and players can get the "semi-prefect" piece while they camp and loot for the perfect piece.

You're going to loose some cash. Stick that stuff on there and some will sell like hot cakes...and some wont. Adjust prices. Keep at it and you'll get the feel for what is what. Just remember that market is always changing...

Q

E

Evlar

Browse around vendors on your shard, even ask other players.

Pricing stuff is always difficult and nobody can claim to be an authority. As you say, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Try visiting some of the auctions that will no doubt take place on your shard. These can be a good indication of what people will pay for the more valuable items.

As for crafted goods themselves, it's always hard to come up with prices. I've tried furniture and deeded item vendors in the past, selling at what I thought were reasonable prices, only to find others selling at excessively low prices. By that, I mean prices that are either equal to their resources cost, or even less, without even taking into account time taken to make said items, or any profit consideration. When you're up against that, it makes it pretty pointless.

Spellbooks is one thing that springs to mind. Anyone who has a scribe will tell you how time consuming making lots to stock a vendor is. Making multiple books... making multiple times 64 spells... dropping them into books one by one... (cant set a macro up to do it with "Enhanced" client btw...) When you see someone selling them for less than 2000gp... it's kind of disheartening. I do persevere however.