• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New to Crafting help please. (Bows)

haku

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry if there is an up to date thread about this already, but I've been searching for a while and haven't found much. I have just finally trained imbuing, and I am trying to make bows but I am wondering what stats to go for.
I am totally new to crafting so I don't really know anything. To get 100 elemental comp bows I have been reforging with oak runic and selecting powerful + of quality. Though the forums here say to just select powerful but someone told me that's wrong.

do most people put hit lightning/fireball on their bows? I def want HML and a bit of SSI.

The first bow I made is 100 cold damage comp bow.
DI 39,
HML 37,
SSI 35( enhanced with ash),
Hit lightning 50,
Velocity 46

I plan to use this for exodus or vs repond/reptile when i get my cameos (theyre bound to drop sometime right?)

Any advice would be appreciated. I am also curious if I should make those magical short bows for lower levels of spawn as some people have advised.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

haku

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Another question. I have 25 Ssi (20 on suit 5 trade bonus) so I was thinking 35 ssi on the bow would be good, I'm also wondering should I just go for 30 ssi instead and then enhance for damage?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It all depends on a few things your skills,suit bonus,play style and what you are fighting! here is a link that will help you determine swing speed . a high stamina is very important here is a link that may help you! UO Stratics - Combat
for me I good general bow has the following in some combination depending on the above
1 HML
2 HSL
3 SSI
4 DI
5 hit lightning/fireball
6 velocity
7 slayer
8 hit effects such as hld etc
I have different suits I use also
my main has DI 100 built in and some ssi
my main general go to bow is
HML
HSL
hit lightning
ssi
velocity
keep in mind ssi and mana leech scale off of each other Hit Mana Leech - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Hope that helps
Storm

haku

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
thanks for the reply,

I have 212 Stam on my suit, I was under the impression that stam leech isn't necessary as my stam is usually full. is that wrong? My play style is quite lazy, enemy of one, conc weapon, armor ignore, if stamina isn't at full I cast divine fury, but it's usually full.
template is just anat archery chiv tactics healing resist everythings 120 but healing and resist still playing around with it, might get some bushido.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My recomendation: HML/SSI up to minnimum possible swing time for your stamina /HSL/Slayer/HLD if got no on you armor/DI up to 100 in combo with armor.
If you got full Cameos set then you need just 1 composit bow for all with no slayer.
& better reforge 140% or 120% of HML instead of 100% ele damage, cause this will keep your almost no-stop AI even at 1,25 swing time (for 300 weapon skill and 55 LMC AI cost 9 mana)

Korhov

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another question. I have 25 Ssi (20 on suit 5 trade bonus) so I was thinking 35 ssi on the bow would be good, I'm also wondering should I just go for 30 ssi instead and then enhance for damage?
There are two bows that are mostly used in PVM: Yumi (DS, 3.25) and Composite bow (AI, 4.0). Your aim is to swing 1.25 for Yumi and 1.5 for Composite at working range 150 - 180 Stamina.
To do that you MUST have 60 SSI for Composite and 35 SSI for Yumi.
So the answer to your question: if you have 25 SSI and no Chivalry for DF bonus: 35 SSI on Composite and 10 SSI on Yumi.

PS. SSI is very BAD mode for bows. Not only consumes property and intensity, but also decreases your HML HLL cap. So I would advise to consider Chivalry DF bonus.
PPS. New changes are coming in combat, which can make nonsense all I've mentioned above

Korhov

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ups missed your post about skills and 212 stam suit. With 20 SSI on it. Wow. If it is 55 LMC suit I am really surprised how you could make one being new to crafting )))
With you skill template (no special move reduction mana cost) just forget about SSI. You have enough. Especially for Yumi (you have already had 1.25 for working range 180 - 210).
For Composite you might take another 5 (or 10 doesn't matter) SSI to come to 1.75, or even might skip it and enjoy max HML at 2.00 swing.
You do not need 1.5 swing at all as in any case you can not get enough mana to chain AI or DS, and even 1.75 looks too much for me.

haku

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
To answer your question the suit is made from mostly legendaries and a friend put it together for me =]. its not quite 55lmc though. Haven't tried Yumi's yet will take a look. I just made a magical shortbow for doing lower levels of spawn which works quite well.

haku

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
My recomendation: HML/SSI up to minnimum possible swing time for your stamina /HSL/Slayer/HLD if got no on you armor/DI up to 100 in combo with armor.
If you got full Cameos set then you need just 1 composit bow for all with no slayer.
& better reforge 140% or 120% of HML instead of 100% ele damage, cause this will keep your almost no-stop AI even at 1,25 swing time (for 300 weapon skill and 55 LMC AI cost 9 mana)
thanks for the reply, how do I reforge for HML as you suggested?

Korhov

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cause you do not need 1.5 for Composite, don't bother yourself with hard-to-make "overcaped" HML bows. Anyway, 50 HML bow cap can not be broken. Just make many cheap elemental damage composite bows with no SSI and put HML ,HLL, HSL, slayer, + HLD or + Hit Area or + whatever you like.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for the reply, how do I reforge for HML as you suggested?
Now some changes coming.
SSI cup was introdiced few days ago, yesterday was canceled for PvM, soo, lets wait what will bee released finaly.