New Thief Here

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
C

Caelas

Hey, I'm making a thief and looking for a couple pointers. Right now I'm working Hiding, Stealth, and Ninjitsu all at the same time. Not sure if I should be or not. Anyway, here's the template I'm aiming for (with focus for regen instead of resist or detect...I'll probably be mostly naked LOL)

http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1264909&postcount=15

I know for melee fighting tactics are needed for the special moves. Is this not the case for wrestling? Also, would it be better to be on a low, medium, or high pop shard? I'm willing to transfer from the low pop one I am on if things are more fun elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

M

Mairut

Hi!

Not sure how to answer your template questions.. I haven't ever used wrestling. Someone else should be by to check the forums and tell you. (probably Syrus or Viper :p)

On a side note, remember to lock your karma before you go stealing, so it doesn't mess with your chiv spells.

I finished training stealth/hiding/ninjitsu together... I had gotten them up enough to be able to stealth a few steps, and enough ninja to go into llama form. I also had stealing (and snooping) trained enough to be able to join the npc guild, and then I just worked them all up while I was practicing in Yew (fel). Training those skills together doesn't sound very efficient, but it kept me interested long enough to be able to train everything to GM.

As far as low/med/high pop shards... It's all a matter of how you like to play. If you like playing with other people (working with them) then you might choose a higher population shard because you'll have more thieves to work with. Lower population=less thieves=easier steals to start out with. They won't be as aware of thieves as on shards like Atl.

**Low.... there won't be as many other thieves to compete with, but there won't be as many people to steal from either. I've heard people on those shards stick together like glue when it comes to thieves as well, so be ready to be THE outcast/redneck stepchild.
**Med....The best of both worlds, right? Unless you get the downsides to both... This would probably be ok though. Few thieves to compete with, and people who aren't as aware of thieves. Enough people to steal from for a few thieves if it came to that.
**High... I prefer Atlantic myself. Plenty of people to smack-talk, plenty of stuff to steal and plenty of thieves on (usually... you asses :p) when it comes needing a partner to help pull off something. Or someone to have your back when the smack talk isn't going your way. The downside is that it seems like everyone is on guard against thieves (because there's so many), and this can make things more challenging. They KNOW there WILL be thieves at the spawn. Someone might recognize you as a thief and warn the other person when you're trying to pull of a heist. Etc... If you like challenging, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

I wouldn't mind helping another thief get started on Atl either. If you want decide you want to transfer here, let me know and I'll help you out.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 7, 2008
florida
You can shadow strike and infectious strike without tactics. Wrestling does not need tactics for its' specials. Stun and disarm are great for a thief, but equally nice is that shadow strike- rearm and poof you are gone. I have both at 120, and swap when I'm thieving depending on where I'll be.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
The poison skill can also double as tactics. My fencer/thief has 90 poison (0 tactics) and can perform specials.

C

Caelas

Alright, so I'm a little torn here. I'd like to fight some...random monsters and whatnot. Wrestling I've found isn't all that good for that. Very low hits compared to melee with weapons. However, if I go fencing, I'd have to get tactics or poison, which is more points in my template that I really can't fit in. My account is only a year old, so I don't have much wiggle room. Suppose I could drop focus and get a decent suit...man that's gonna suck on the bank when I die.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Why die? If you have the right macros and skills, you should be able to get a clean getaway more often than not, long as you don't get stuck in para fields.

Template

My prodo template looks like this:

120 Fencing
110 Ninjitsu
110 Stealing (80 real)
100 Hiding
100 Snooping (90 real)
95 Magery
80 Stealth (40 real)
80 Poisoning

Skills

Magery - I initially tried chivalry, but eventually dropped it for magery for the following reasons. First, I can near insta-heal/cure with only 2/6 (as opposed to 4/6 with chiv). Second, the teleport and invisibility spells are lifesavers, as you can cast them while visible and/or aggro'd. Third, if I see a bot on a track, I can mark a rune to return later. Fourth, I can gate for team stealing. Lastly, incognito/polymorph aren't especially useful, but they can be fun sometimes. :)

Ninjitsu - In my mind, ninjitsu is indispensable, for several reasons:

1) Shadowjump. The number one thief killer, in my mind, is passive reveal. If you stealth up to an elf, you have an over 50% chance to be passive revealed, and your outlook's not too bright against humans and gargoyles, either. As soon as you're revealed, you can expect an "all kill." However, with shadowjump, you never need risk passive reveal: just shadowjump next to your target. Also, shadowjumping doesn't count as movement, so it won't close the packs you've snooped. Once you get the hang of it, you can shadow jump to every player at a champ, open all their packs, and sit back and watch for the best scroll. Shadow jump is also a way to avoid being hit/revealed by earthquake/meteor strike, as shadowjump casts much faster than those two spells.

2) Wolf form. Besides giving you increased movement speed, wolf form gives you +20 hp. As soon as you make a steal, hit wolf form and run for it. Once you're in the clear, just hide and stealth away at mounted speed. Unless I get trapped in paralyze fields, I'm never, ever killed in wolf form.

3) Shurikens. Kill bots and supposed "PvPers" who like to shoot arrows at people from within the safety of their houses.

4) Smoke bombs. If someone is flagging you, you cannot hide without them.

5) Death strike. The further they run, the quicker they die.

Suit

My suit includes: Burglar's Bandana, Pendant of the Magi, Shadow Dancer Leggings, Quiver of Infinity, Totem of the Void, Ornament of the Magician, Cloak of Silence, and an imbued ring (15 hci, 3 fcr, 20 lrc, 15 fire, 7 cold), as well as custom gloves, arms, and tunic. When I cast gate travel, I throw on the Conjurer's Grimoire to bring me to 110 magery. When I'm killing a bot, I replace my totem of the void with the Conjurer's Trinket to increase my damage and hci. The suit was surprisingly easy to piece together (on Europa, no less) and has 100 lrc, 2/6, 30 lmc, and all 60s.

C

Caelas

Thanks Syrus, that explaination was exactly what I was looking for. Now...how do I target steal (for when I am ready for players)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Okies, so you need the right macros and the right strategy. Here's how mine look:

Macros

F1-Heal
F2-G. Heal
F3-Cure
F4-Hide
Shift+F4-Invisibility
F5-Teleport
F6-Wolf Form (UOA macro)
F7-Mirror Image
F8-Shadowjump
F9-Last object
F10-Use Item (Dagger) (UOA macro)
F11-Steal + Last Target

Strategy

Open your mark's paperdoll and double-click their backpack. Shadowjump beside them and hit your "Last Object" macro, which will open their pack.

If you see an item you want, hit your use item macro, which will bring up a cursor. I use a dagger for this, you can use anything that will bring up a cursor (snow pile, arms lore skill, etc.) Target the item you want.

Hit your steal - last target macro. There will be a brief pause, you'll become visible, and the item will be placed in your backpack.

As soon as the item is in your pack, hit your wolf form macro and run. Run behind some houses or something and hide. From your hiding spot, shadowjump and stealth away.

That's how I do it, anyway.

C

Caelas

Excellent, thanks again. One last question...what stats should I be aiming for?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Hmm! That depends on what template you choose. My fencer/mage thief has 110 str, 105 int, 55 dex.

R

Robthemilt

I've taken that series of macros that are used to go from targeting, to stealing, to animal form and shortenened it.
Mine looks like

ctrl C- use skill, armslore
- lets me target, or I click the axe in my pack

ctrl X - use skill, stealing
-last target
- say *kicks in the nuts* (I like to be noticed)
- cast spell, animal form (automatically puts you in the last form you were in)
- delay, 100 (I think, you may need to adjust it)
- say, Time to hide, (or) You should have caught me, (or) *waves goodbye* (that tells me that my skill timer is gone, and I can hide or smokebomb.

H -use skill, hiding

Keeps me from needing UOA. If I do it on the move a lot of the time people either dont notice me, or think i'm cheating. which is cool with me, because then I go argue with them while they try to kill me, and I still get my chase.
*ques sarcasm* Did you guys know that ninjitsu spells are on the skill timer? Yeah, theres ten seconds before you can cast spells after stealing. Oh and you cant steal an item when their pack is closed. So its impossible to steal from someone who just teleported.

You could also make the macro equip a FC weapon or book (thanks noobist) before you cast animal form. It'll just make your getaway that much quicker.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Hehe, I may have to steal the *kicks in the nuts* line. Classy.

By the way, Caelas, I learned most of what I know from this place: www.uothief.com.