• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Taming Mastery ability "As One"

Siward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone knows what exactly it's supposed to do?

The patchnotes read:
  • Added new option for the taming mastery ability “Combat Training” – As One, which allows pets to share damage while they are close to their master.

When I try it out on the TC I immediatly get the message: "your ability was canceled" and nothing happens (at least I didn't notice anything).

I suppose it's something like the parry mastery "bodyguard" ability?

Thanks in advance for any hints and happy easter everyone!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Supposed to split the damage a pet takes between the player and the pet. Dunno if that's how it works tho

Siward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, that's what I thought it does. But well... it doesn't work (or I'm doing it wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Siward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the manacost is twice as high as the cost for 'consume damage' btw :)

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I could see this being somewhat useful if heals are split between the two as well. I am not great with more than one pet and rapidly switching back and forth to heal in combat. And if the mana cost isn't outrageous.

Siward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see this working well while using pack instinct pets (which usually have low health): it lowers the spike damage on one pet. it's not a straight damage reduction (as you still have to heal the whole damage) and is thus a pretty smart function!

Well played @Kryonix :)

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I found it an odd addition in a patch that will reduce the use of multiple pets, I used to like to use 2 firesteeds from time to time, I suppose I could train one to 3 slots and use this to prevent the feeble one dying fast so its still welcome.

Its been a long while since I did the 2 firesteed thing, but I seem to remember having a way of making sure I always knew which of the 2 was going to always take the damage, it was either the first I took from the stable, or the one I had been riding, I forget, but as it costs a LOT of mana it would probably be better to use consume damage on the one that is going to be taking damage.

With that much mana cost that particular ability would be more useful if it reduced the damage as well as spread it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can never get another persons pet to accept the invite.

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone tested this with frenzied ostards? Does the mana cost go up with number of pets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a great mastery that came about 10 years too late and was obsolete a couple of months after release. A shame really. It split the damage between multiple pets which made packs of hounds or ostards survivable with heavy hitting monsters. But with a pet revamp, multiple pets don't make much sense.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a great mastery that came about 10 years too late and was obsolete a couple of months after release. A shame really. It split the damage between multiple pets which made packs of hounds or ostards survivable with heavy hitting monsters. But with a pet revamp, multiple pets don't make much sense.
The first thing I did was get a pack of Ostards and Raptars tamed and bonded before it come out. That was a waste of space. They were released real quick.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The first thing I did was get a pack of Ostards and Raptars tamed and bonded before it come out. That was a waste of space. They were released real quick.
I had a really nice pack of pre revamp hounds. All 3.5-4.2 rated and fully trained. They did damage comparable to the harder hitting post-revamp pets, but even with this mastery they were pretty flimsy. There is a macro command that allows you to target the pet with the lowest health. This also helped a lot keeping them alive (just have vet going non stop). Unfortunately it worked with vet, but not with heal. So you could not use it with monsters that had some sort of AoE or retargeted the tamer. I wish I had kept them, but with the stable slot snafu, I could not justify keeping them.