• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Tamables you'd like to see

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good day,

We have seen some posts on possibly giving tamers some love. I would like to take the pulse here and see what new Tamables you would like to see introduced in upcoming publishes.

There use to be a battle cry for making Reptalons useful but this has died down.

Personally I would like to see a good stout mount devoid of magery that could be introduced in the mold of a war horse (non faction) that any player could use.

I would also like to see a good pvp type creature with no slayer vulnerability introduced as well.

I always loved cu's as well and would like to see a greater cu introduced that while still being fey would have more hit points.

mystic tamers have the advantage of being able to still fly when using a greater. I would like to see a more powerful 5 slot pet that can be ridden as well. (even at a lower speed) this so were not limited to just the gargoyle class.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An enhanced White Wyrm with power similar to a Greater Dragon that's only 4 control slots. I do not particularly enjoy having to go everywhere on foot, and I wasn't compatible with SA on the trial account I opened to see what was different in the game, so I couldn't go the gargoyle route.

A stronger mounted pet with more control slots, ehh. I could see a use for it, I suppose, but I'm also a guy who likes having more than one pet out at a time (blame the old school mentality, haha.) It'd depend on how powerful said pet was, tbh.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
1 - Greater WW - on par with Greater Dragon
2- Silver Steed - on par with Dread Mare
3- Some type of Humanoid type tameable that we could give a command to patrol the area to. Something along the lines of the Cave Troll.

Skunk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see something similar to a ridable drake or dragon, moves at garg flight speed and along the lines of greater drag in power.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gryphon. Stats on par with a GD. 5 slot. Controllable at 110 taming/lore, but becomes mountable at 120 taming/lore.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see something like say a rideable boura that could be tamed by anyone. Maybe a rideable big cat just so the cu sidhe could be put in his place. But not more powerful, I'd rather have a 1 slot version that could work with pack instinct like the other hellcats do. That kinda thing.

Making more pets at the top/GD level doesn't really appeal to me. I can't imagine ever using a number of stable slots for pets that are at the same level. I'd choose 1 of them instead, especially with our current stable restrictions. I think if we're realistic, tamers are going to prefer to select 1 pet at that level and spend the time selecting and training that one, rather than repeating the process to have slightly different variations.

I want a modest upgrade that can be applied to the pets I have already. I like upgrades to be kept just at the level where a pet doesn't take up more control slots. The reason I prefer pets like the WW and normal dragon is that they can be paired up with a number of different pets. They are much more versatile because you can change pairings up depending on what you want to hunt. That's a big part of their appeal. Especially when some pairings out damage a GD anyway. I don't want all my pets to become solo hunters and my tamers restricted to riding useless ethys or being on foot. That would be horrible.

I kinda wonder if this fascination with GD level pets could be met with some GD dyes and costumes instead of messing with other pets, because it does sound like some tamers are so fond of GDs that they'd rather suit them up in a costume than use a really different pet. I say that because some of you seem to want pets that bear very little resemblance to the originals. Turning pets up to 4-5 slots means you want a totally different pet, because they simply cannot do what the old ones can - you can't pair them up with other pets, you can't have a fighting mount out with them, they're just GDs in different suits.

Wenchy

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see something like say a rideable boura that could be tamed by anyone. Maybe a rideable big cat just so the cu sidhe could be put in his place. But not more powerful, I'd rather have a 1 slot version that could work with pack instinct like the other hellcats do. That kinda thing.

Making more pets at the top/GD level doesn't really appeal to me. I can't imagine ever using a number of stable slots for pets that are at the same level. I'd choose 1 of them instead, especially with our current stable restrictions. I think if we're realistic, tamers are going to prefer to select 1 pet at that level and spend the time selecting and training that one, rather than repeating the process to have slightly different variations.

I want a modest upgrade that can be applied to the pets I have already. I like upgrades to be kept just at the level where a pet doesn't take up more control slots. The reason I prefer pets like the WW and normal dragon is that they can be paired up with a number of different pets. They are much more versatile because you can change pairings up depending on what you want to hunt. That's a big part of their appeal. Especially when some pairings out damage a GD anyway. I don't want all my pets to become solo hunters and my tamers restricted to riding useless ethys or being on foot. That would be horrible.

I kinda wonder if this fascination with GD level pets could be met with some GD dyes and costumes instead of messing with other pets, because it does sound like some tamers are so fond of GDs that they'd rather suit them up in a costume than use a really different pet. I say that because some of you seem to want pets that bear very little resemblance to the originals. Turning pets up to 4-5 slots means you want a totally different pet, because they simply cannot do what the old ones can - you can't pair them up with other pets, you can't have a fighting mount out with them, they're just GDs in different suits.

Wenchy
Going to address the bolded first: I like this idea. As much as I enjoyed using my Greater Dragon, it was quite boring. I could invis myself, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, come back, and he'd have barely a scratch on him. I had to fight high-end paragon creatures to even be challenged (Balron and Ancient Wyrm), or massive numbers of creatures.

Upgrading a Nightmare, Rune Beetle, etc sounds good, but how would they pull it off? They'd need to have HP between the original species' limits (say a WW's Str/Dex/Int/skills) and a GD's. I do prefer using older pets (largely because I didn't have a Greater Dragon - they are so hard to tame...), since they can outdamage an average GD (or complement it's power, if I'm using a Rune Beetle.) The Greater Dragon I managed to tame on TC1 a few weeks ago? While I was training it, it might have taken 15-20 seconds for it to kill a Blood Elemental (rough estimate.) When I used a WW/Nightmare, Rune Beetle/Mare, or Dragon/Mare? 5-10 seconds, depending on how developed their skills were.

The preoccupation with GD-esque pets...when people get a taste of "unrivaled" (and let's face it, 1v1 or Xv1, the GD is the best pet in the game) power, they want something comparable or superior to it...to the point that they lose sight of more important things, like killing efficiency, which I highlighted above. Hell, you could even make the GD ridable. It'd be kinda cool to fly around everywhere on your GD while it's nuking everything, haha (though I'd imagine they'd force you to dismount if it was in the middle of battle.)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Upgrading a Nightmare, Rune Beetle, etc sounds good, but how would they pull it off? They'd need to have HP between the original species' limits (say a WW's Str/Dex/Int/skills) and a GD's. I do prefer using older pets (largely because I didn't have a Greater Dragon - they are so hard to tame...), since they can outdamage an average GD (or complement it's power, if I'm using a Rune Beetle.) The Greater Dragon I managed to tame on TC1 a few weeks ago? While I was training it, it might have taken 15-20 seconds for it to kill a Blood Elemental (rough estimate.) When I used a WW/Nightmare, Rune Beetle/Mare, or Dragon/Mare? 5-10 seconds, depending on how developed their skills were.
I think there are 2 upgrade options - 1 being the "let's make everything at GD level and the heck with how many control slots it takes..." This would appeal to some of the power oriented tamers who basically want everything at the same level so they can go solo top end content.

Second option is to be modest and restrain the changes so they don't go up in control slots etc. This is going to mean they don't appeal to the power oriented tamer, but honestly I really don't think they are going to be using those pets even if you just went half way between where they are now and GD level. It's still going to be "weaker" than a GD and thus they won't want it. If pets went from say 3 to 4 slots but were still a bit weaker than a GD they'd be at a double disadvantage. They'd be weaker than the GD and not be able to pair up with other pets.

I'm also more supportive of those tamers who are still using older pets or smaller ones as they are now, and wanting to see upgrades to suit tamers who aren't into having max power all the time. Because those are the tamers who probably stuck with those old pets. I wonder sometimes if the tamers who want a greater WW actually use WWs or just want a white GD to have some variety. Especially when everyone seems to want to use up more control slots - anyone who was using a WW right now would understand that part of their usefulness is you pair them up with different pets. If you just want an upgrade to pets you're using, surely you'd be asking to keep them versatile.

The preoccupation with GD-esque pets...when people get a taste of "unrivaled" (and let's face it, 1v1 or Xv1, the GD is the best pet in the game) power, they want something comparable or superior to it...to the point that they lose sight of more important things, like killing efficiency, which I highlighted above. Hell, you could even make the GD ridable. It'd be kinda cool to fly around everywhere on your GD while it's nuking everything, haha (though I'd imagine they'd force you to dismount if it was in the middle of battle.)
Yep, I agree with you here. The GD created a precedent where now tamers expect that level or better. And it was a pet that wasn't intended to be a tameable in the first place, yet for whatever reason we were allowed to keep them and now the expectation is there. And younger tamers are coming in and thinking the GD is the only pet for them based on this too. It's a learning curve to figure out the right pets for each location. Few tamers even want to bother taming or training their pets the way many of us used to. When I was a newbie it was pretty lame to buy pets, you really wanted your own ones. Battling to get your first pet was a real adventure and like your final exams once you'd reached the skill to tame a dragon or mare. And there were no shadow eles so you learned each dungeon intimately by the time you'd trained a few pets. That kind of knowledge and interest in acquiring/using it is fading pretty fast. It takes too long for some players to look up what to do when they can find a shortcut route for everything. I hate to say it but players seem more into getting results quickly, killing stuff in the fastest way. That mindset isn't interested in a weaker pet, even if it's doing more damage with a partner. Because it takes more risk and work to keep those two pets alive. Easier to throw a bigger tank like the GD into a fight, especially if you're hunting bosses. And the smaller the community of UO gets the more players are going to solo too. That doesn't help little pets.Which is why I have quite a serious concern for how taming is going to look in a few years, unless the devs decide to make it more of an animal loving creature handler skill rather than the power PvM template. I hope taming can be kept as a different skill that is more about the relationship between pets and players because it has a lot more depth to that relationship than other games. I'd hate for it to become OMG POWAH! LET'S MOW SPAWN WITH L337 PETZ! and return us to another round of all kill, no skill tamers heh. /oldvetrant lol

Wenchy

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would like to see the animal trainers/sellers give out taming bods in which you tame things and turn them in. They already have it coded so that you can turn in pets by double clicking things (zoo donations and city donations) so it shouldn't be too hard to work it into a bod. Then you get rewards which could bump up legacy pets. I would also like to see a reward that would allow you to remove one control slot from a greater dragon so humans & elves can ride. I hate that gargs can fly at mounted speed when having a GD out but no one else can travel at that speed with one out.

To get back on topic, I would like to see a greater white wyrm (only if they didn't adjust legacy pets). That was my favorite hunting pet and still is my favorite legacy pet. I take it out from time to time but it just can't go places the GD can. I would also love to see the shadow wyrm become tameable. I don't think it would be over powered (haven't compared tamed GD to wild shadow wyrm)but they could tone it down if necessary.

I enjoy taking two pets out and finding good combos. I would love to see them do more with legacy pets so we aren't forced to use one thing like the GD. Legacy and other pets just don't have the health to last long when they kill slower. I hope they beef them up or give us bods so we can beef them up. I would not want them to take more slots or reach GD levels individually.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To get back on topic, I would like to see a greater white wyrm (only if they didn't adjust legacy pets). That was my favorite hunting pet and still is my favorite legacy pet. I take it out from time to time but it just can't go places the GD can. I would also love to see the shadow wyrm become tameable. I don't think it would be over powered (haven't compared tamed GD to wild shadow wyrm)but they could tone it down if necessary.
Tamed GD >>>>> Wild Shadow Wyrm. A freshly tamed GD might have more problems, which I'm assuming is what you meant. It'd still come out ahead even untrained though. That said, taming a Shadow Wyrm would be interesting - I'd like a Necromancy-using pet.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The one I want is already in game but not tamable :(

Unlock that dadgum Ice Wrym and make it on par with the GD. :love:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
LOL... either or.. I just like the hue on the Ice Wyrm a little better than the Obsidian Wyvern. Unlocking that Wyrm would cause an uproar lol already hear enough folks griping about GD's blocking critters and stuff. That huge Wyvern would make folks crap themselves lol

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would like for the next Greater Dragon kind of pet to be tiny. Like... the size of a squirrel small. Something that if it's brought to an event that we won't have to hope and pray that we might be able to find it under their bulk.

How about some sort of dog or cat?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That's one of the reasons I have switched back to using my Cu. Another being on Altantic we do a fair amount of travel from place to place and I get tired of bringing up da rear lol

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alot of cool suggestions already.
I would like to see a replacement for the faction war-horse, but this pet should not be bondable (should create some work for the local tamer) Should require 60 to tame, or something like that.
I would like to see new pets, witch requires 120 tamin/lore to control.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed with a pet that requires 120/120, taming/lore to control. I would also say that needs to be REAL skill, like the barding masteries. Lets reward those who have gone through the grind of working taming to legendary status!

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A horse of a different color. Like the one in the movie The Wizard of Oz that randomly changes color.

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want an cap for ANYTHINK at 4 Slots !!
5 is the badest think ever whats was coming .......

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As new Pet i wand the ancient wyrm tameable, the gd is not realy strong enough for the state of the art at moment.

DEA4Ever

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played a tamer for about 13 years and I loved white wyrms since my start. Honestly I think out of all new taming additions like adding slightly more powerful two slot tamables etc. I would LOVE to see a ridable "greater dragon" type pet. My favorite pet is my reptalon but he is just too weak to ever use. I love how the character looks on it. I think maybe a "greater white wyrm" that would be ridable would be just awesome and just what tamers need to further enjoy the tamer class. It could still be five slots but just the ridable part would be so cool.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My fantasy top 10:

#1 Reptalon love - come on ... you know you want to
#2 Shadow Wyrm - with necro !
#3 Cold Drake
#4 Skree love - let's revitalise the pointless pets ?
#5 Dread Mare respawn - different hues maybe - Dread Unicorn ?
#6 Cu Sidhe HP bump - 1st cut was the deepest one !
#7 Orc Brute - revert the 2D graphics though please
#8 Rune Beetle buff - slightly less squishy but maybe harder to find ?
#9 Blood Elemental - iconic !
#10 Shadow Iron Elemental

:heart:

Creapor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How about some sort of Dragon with say the graphics of RIKTOR!!! He looks so amazing

pumpkin_escobar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My fantasy top 10:

#1 Reptalon love - come on ... you know you want to
#2 Shadow Wyrm - with necro !
#3 Cold Drake
#4 Skree love - let's revitalise the pointless pets ?
#5 Dread Mare respawn - different hues maybe - Dread Unicorn ?
#6 Cu Sidhe HP bump - 1st cut was the deepest one !
#7 Orc Brute - revert the 2D graphics though please
#8 Rune Beetle buff - slightly less squishy but maybe harder to find ?
#9 Blood Elemental - iconic !
#10 Shadow Iron Elemental

:heart:
#1 and #2 please

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some sort of 5 slot creature that you can customise. Only pet you can customise right now is swamp dragon with the barding. I personally would love a giant 5 slot armoured bear that you can customise different armour parts for different resists and different claws for different special moves etc :)

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Some artifact and 120 real skill requirement in tam, lore, vet, 100 herding to tame Cora's minions. An endless potential, if you dare to gaze into it for long enough with 460 of your skill cap down.

Kuzan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If I saw right the new expansion is based on Ultima 2 and Ultima savage empire and savage empire has dinosaurs on the cover of it I've neaver played it so maybe we're geting dinosaurs for next expansion

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be my dream come true if you could tame a giant 5/4 slot (Perhaps Ridable) T Rex hahaha, as long as the art was good :). Dinosaurs rule

Messy boy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I would like the ability to tame other players that are in stat, whilst in stat and upon successful taming they follow you like a pet and obey all pet commands until they are out of stat. With a cool down timer so you can't just kill them again and re-tame them.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Oh, you little perv boy)

I just thought I'd really like to see a craftable leash item. You will be able to customize it and put it on your pet, and it won't be able to move any further from you than the leash allows. It also should look cool.