• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Smelting Talismans

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm looking at these now because I'm working up a new smith and miner to be able to smelt gold. So they sound cool until I notice they're only good for 24 hours. Given that limitation, has anybody found them that useful?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wanted to get a bunch for rewards on a few contests we were gonna have. Timer ruled that out...stoopidest thing I ever seen. Whatever possible harm could them not being timed do?
Someone afraid we might try to sell one or something? Isn't that the interaction we are sposed to be doing? Why stifle it?

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I think these are a fail do to the timer. I don't have a 24 hour let alone a 4 hour period I could use them in

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gold Talismans are the best.

You can go to the Blackthorn Dungeon room with the two Gold Elementals, and in 1-2 hours FARM the eles and use all 6000 charges on the talisman. You just got to go down there with a melee character with an earth ele slayer and mining.

The rest, not so much. However, there are other means to maximize them. It's best to claim Verite and Valorite maps in Fel, where you get twice the ore per dig. Then, get the matching talisman to maximize return and hope you don't run into a PK (and you might get several maps worth of ore processed with one talisman). Typically, the Agapite talismans (and the gold & agapite maps) aren't worth it. My experience is that it's more efficient to get a gold talisman, farm the eles, get one of the gold to agapite cauldrons from Tinkering, etc. and turn the 6000 gold into 2000 agapite.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're right, I can see how the talisman would pay off with the gold ellies with more advanced chars than I'm working on now

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those smelting tailsman have been around since the void pool started. I just wait until I have 350 large Val ore to smelt and go to Vela in Cove to claim one. Takes me a couple void pool runs to build up the points.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They work quite well if you have a "fighter" type char also.
Send him down to the Ant Lions for a few hours as they drop a random amount of any type of Ore, collect said ore into big piles in your house.
Now log on you miner and set up a macro to smelt 1 piece of ore at a time (with a scroll of Alacrity for huge gains)

To be honest though I wouldn't really bother with the Talisman until you are actually trained and you gain skill points fast enough till like 85 anyway.
Talismans are for more like when you have a huge ore supply and don't want to risk wasting half if you (when) fail. Again gold upwards.

NB, Don't forget you can do the faster gains quest in New Haven to get to 50 real fast.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've cranked some numbers, and even the gold talismans aren't worth it when you could cash them in for something like POFs instead. The amount you "spend" on the talisman is more than what you "spend" losing gold ore during smelting. Either way, it's a loss of resources.

And that analysis doesn't even include the timer.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They work quite well if you have a "fighter" type char also.
Send him down to the Ant Lions for a few hours as they drop a random amount of any type of Ore, collect said ore into big piles in your house.
Now log on you miner and set up a macro to smelt 1 piece of ore at a time (with a scroll of Alacrity for huge gains)

To be honest though I wouldn't really bother with the Talisman until you are actually trained and you gain skill points fast enough till like 85 anyway.
Talismans are for more like when you have a huge ore supply and don't want to risk wasting half if you (when) fail. Again gold upwards.

NB, Don't forget you can do the faster gains quest in New Haven to get to 50 real fast.
It helps when you offer advice if you actually know what you're talking about. Ant lions drop dull copper, shadow iron, copper and bronze. The lowest smelting talisman is gold so there is no way a smelting talisman is going to 'work well' with ant lion drops.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmph..I thought the ant lions went higher, must have got the other ores from iron beetles or using Gargoyle pickaxes to mine with.
This was a while ago....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've cranked some numbers, and even the gold talismans aren't worth it when you could cash them in for something like POFs instead. The amount you "spend" on the talisman is more than what you "spend" losing gold ore during smelting. Either way, it's a loss of resources.

And that analysis doesn't even include the timer.
All I see is you dividing by zero.

Your analysis is based on an extreme over-value of POF, probably based on your home shard's market.

POFs aren't an issue. I've got THREE HUNDRED vials of POF (or equivalent - I've managed to free up some lockdowns with two kegs so far). Ingots are where my shortfalls have ALWAYS been. I was lucky, when I was stocking a vendor, to sell a dozen a week, and at half or less the going rate on Atlantic (I literally originally charged half the reported Atlantic prices when I started - and couldn't sell any because people told me I was asking twice as much as it was worth) - and that goes back to months before the changes to BODs were announced, let alone tested or implemented. The BOD changes make it insanely easy to get POF (a 10 or 15 Ex shadow small, or 20 Ex DC, or 20 normal Gold, or 10-15 normal agapite). You can get the ore to fill the most common ones by killing 2 to 5 Orc Brutes for Shadow iron (and a character with mining, smith and melee skills can FILL the BOD while fighting, standing at the forge in the center of the Orc Brute spawn in the Mines), or using up one gargoyle pickaxe (for DC or shadow iron).

Our PvPers have mostly gone to other shards.
Our PvMers almost all have crafters of their own, or are in a guild with one.
The Crafters are all capable of cranking out more POF than they can use.
The TINY market for POF on LA are the occasional lone wolf players - or someone who is OUT OF INGOTS to get POF, and doesn't want to go hunting or mining.

POF isn't worth anything resembling what you think it is, once you leave Atlantic and the 3 or 4 other relatively high-population shards. The market quickly saturates if someone makes a concerted effort to farm it. But, about the only way I can get usable amounts of Agapite is to farm gold eles, smelt with the 100% talisman, and use a cauldron from my tinker to convert it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
POF isn't worth anything resembling what you think it is, once you leave Atlantic and the 3 or 4 other relatively high-population shards. The market quickly saturates if someone makes a concerted effort to farm it. But, about the only way I can get usable amounts of Agapite is to farm gold eles, smelt with the 100% talisman, and use a cauldron from my tinker to convert it.
That's all fine and dandy that it fits your purpose, no problemo at all with that. But the question stills begs for answering, why the timer on this stuff?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dont you just love when a thread starts out a certain way and then gets derailed and overcomplicated ?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Timer is to stop you from just having 1 and making the rewards outdated

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was 1 use then your would gather together 60k gold ore before using 1 charge.
24hour timer means your not gonna be storing them up .

Yeah I know it don't make sense to me either. Could have just made them Char bound if they didn't want them being sold on.

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If it was 1 use then your would gather together 60k gold ore before using 1 charge.
24hour timer means your not gonna be storing them up .

Yeah I know it don't make sense to me either. Could have just made them Char bound if they didn't want them being sold on.
I thought the charges applied per ingot, not pile. Each ingot uses up 1 charge. The timer is a pointless restriction.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's all fine and dandy that it fits your purpose, no problemo at all with that. But the question stills begs for answering, why the timer on this stuff?
I agree - the timer is BS. They should at least have 1-week timers, if no timer at all, and the timer only start with the first use (this would allow selling of them, while encouraging the continued use once activated).

The Gold Talisman is at least made useful by the Gold elementals in Blackthorn Dungeon.

We actually made the Verite and Valorite talismans sorta-useful by mining with garg picks and prospector tools, and two of us MINED DIFFERENT AREAS SIMULTANEOUSLY, smelting everything but the high-end ores (which we either put into packies or used BoS to send to the bank), then rendezvous every hour or two, to pass the talisman around. We were able to use up half of the talismans in 3 hours. Well, more accurately, they used a couple of ore maps first, then the tools, while I just used the tools - and we got roughly the same amount of the ore (showing how useless the maps really are if you are intent on garg pick mining).

The Agapite talisman has too many charges to be used efficiently with the existing timer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO the Talismans were put in as a bandage to appease folk for getting annoyed regarding the significant differences between smelting ore and cutting lumber...

And we still have no "Saw Mill" as requested so many times that one could just drop logs into and get wood from... instead of having to put small bits of logs in our pack and chop them... And smelting ore still fails FAR more than it ought to especially when you have 105 mining and 120 smithing... the talismans feel more like a kick in the face or something..... but that's my opinion.